The traffic in Atlanta...!!!

Its just mind boggling, my husband didn't make it home today he ended up at a Comfort in and it took me four try's to find someplace that wasn't full.

My daughter left work at noon today and her 20 minute ride took 3 hours and she passed too many wrecks to count on I-20.

My son carpools and ended up having to hike 3 miles into the neighborhood because they just weren't moving for hours and the other guys had kids at home and they could turn around and go the other way.

What I can't understand is how it gets this bad here, I've never lived anywhere where it snows before, I'm from AZ so this is all new to me, but I see all the people from up north handle the snow just fine they go to work every day kids go to school, etc. etc.

Now I know you need special tires for your car or truck, and I suppose they treat the roads constantly(?) I do know the roads in Atlanta are in no way equipped for the amount of traffic that it gets each day, really poor planning and just really bad roads.

Like I said, I don't know, but if I was stuck in a car for 9 hours or my kid was not able to come home from school overnight I'd be wanting answers and changes.

Oh and I just heard an official from Gdot say the problems on the road were the fault of the drivers because they should have heeded the warnings and stayed off the roads today. I don't remember anyone saying it was going to be this bad. The reporter layed into her though.

LOL.. Good thing they don't live in Michigan I went to the grocery store tonight at 6pm and with the wind chill it was -21 degree's...School's have been closed because of snow, ice and extreme wind chill..

I heard that some cities don't have enough sand or salt to deal with this type of thing. I wonder if Atlanta is one of those?

I feel bad for those who are stuck. I only saw such a mess once in a place called Texarkana many years ago. It's small though so not as big a deal.

It's a nightmare, everywhere. I have co workers and friends who left 5 hours ago who are STILL not home.

All the hotels are filled and teachers in some areas are sleeping overnight with stranded students.

So happy to be home....:guilty:

:surfweb: I am one of those stranded in a school with kids. We are even taking in people that have been stuck on the side of the road and have either walked here or had a Sheriff's officer bring them. Luckily we have several buildings so boys are in one place, girls in another, and stranded travelers in yet another. Our staff has been amazing.... we just really don't know when it will end. :scared:

PlaneJoy1 said:
:surfweb: I am one of those stranded in a school with kids. We are even taking in people that have been stuck on the side of the road and have either walked here or had a Sheriff's officer bring them. Luckily we have several buildings so boys are in one place, girls in another, and stranded travelers in yet another. Our staff has been amazing.... we just really don't know when it will end. :scared:

Wow just wow I'll be thinking about you and rooting for you all night, your my hero right now. Are you guys getting the supplies you need, water, blankets, food? Hopefully the kids are taking it well, when we were talking about it earlier my kids thought it would be cool, and talked about how they would make blanket forts, we watch Community. But reality isn't always fun, especially if your cold or hungry or want your mom.

Wow just wow I'll be thinking about you and rooting for you all night, your my hero right now. Are you guys getting the supplies you need, water, blankets, food? Hopefully the kids are taking it well, when we were talking about it earlier my kids thought it would be cool, and talked about how they would make blanket forts, we watch Community. But reality isn't always fun, especially if your cold or hungry or want your mom.

Thank you :goodvibes There are hundreds more just like me. I have high school kids, however we do have elementary and middle schools in the same situation. I really feel bad for the elementary school kids (but hopefully they are getting some sleep). I know my youngest would have a very hard time if she wasn't at home right now with the rest of the family.

Oh high school kids well that's a whole other set of worries I think you still might be my hero right now.

Just a note about why atl any people can't drive in snow. I am a northern. I learned to drive in the snow and I hate to say this but half of Atlanta people are transplants from the north. The issue in general is everyone thinks they can drive in it and drive too fast and follow too close. Same reason why my drive takes over an hour when it rains.

Ha!! My DH from PA said the exact same thing!! :lmao:

We've been having a lot of accidents here in SC too. Earlier this evening, the local news was reporting that a neighboring county had 160+ accidents ongoing at that time, based on Highway Patrol reports. It amazes me!

I have two friends stuck on roads in Atlanta. One has been trying to get home for 16 hours. I can't even imagine.

My friend made it home after 12 1/2 hours. We were all relieved to hear that she made it there safely. Her husband was just beside himself that he couldn't go get her due to the same conditions that we're making it so hard for everyone to get home.

Hope everyone else is doing ok.

We are seeing this on the Weather Channel this AM and my husband had a great question-
How do you go to the bathroom stuck in the snow for 6-10 hours?:confused3

We are seeing this on the Weather Channel this AM and my husband had a great question- How do you go to the bathroom stuck in the snow for 6-10 hours?:confused3

A guy on the radio said people were going outside next to their cars, using their cars for cover.

We are seeing this on the Weather Channel this AM and my husband had a great question-
How do you go to the bathroom stuck in the snow for 6-10 hours?:confused3

You go on the side of the road. :confused3

When we were stranded on I-40 outside of Little Rock back in 2004, we were lucky enough to have Solo cups in the car.

can someone in Atlanta explain what happened to me, I'm NOT trying to be sarcastic or snarky. I've lived all over and I understand not having plows and salt trucks, etc to deal with more severe unusual weather but people stuck on the road for 12+ hours seems mind blowing. The only time I remember people having to abandon cars was when Lake Shore Drive got snowed in a few years ago.

Was their a major wreck? A lot of little wrecks? Are there lots of bridges that iced over?

can someone in Atlanta explain what happened to me, I'm NOT trying to be sarcastic or snarky. I've lived all over and I understand not having plows and salt trucks, etc to deal with more severe unusual weather but people stuck on the road for 12+ hours seems mind blowing. The only time I remember people having to abandon cars was when Lake Shore Drive got snowed in a few years ago.

Was their a major wreck? A lot of little wrecks? Are there lots of bridges that iced over?

I agree. Its hard to imagine what caused this. You should be able to just drive through a couple inches of snow. Were there accidents on every road?

A friend of mine left work downtown at 1:00 pm and had moved about 2 miles by 1:00 am this morning. She updated Facebook this morning to say - at 8 o'clock - that she had finally gotten into a hotel and isn't even trying to think of getting home at this point. Craziness.

I agree. Its hard to imagine what caused this. You should be able to just drive through a couple inches of snow. Were there accidents on every road?

I think we first need to understand that the folks in Atlanta aren't used to driving in a couple inches of snow. Their annual snowfall is somewhere around 2". Couple snow and ice covered roads with schools and businesses dismissing students and employees at the same time and you get a nightmare rush hour traffic scenario. One news report this morning estimated nearly 1,000 accidents on Atlanta's roadways yesterday. For me, driving in 3" of snow isn't a cakewalk but it's doable and bearable, but for those not accustomed to just what 3" of snow/ice can do, especially on untreated roads, it wreaks havoc.

I live an hour to the east of Atlanta, so I'm not there, but what I've heard from friends in the metro area is that it was a number of things. Schools, govt. buildings, etc. all decided to let out at the same time so the roads were just absolutely inundated with people. Add to this that the roads had not been treated at all (from what I understand). Then there were definitely accidents as well - I think I remember seeing last night on Twitter that ATL police were not responding to accidents with fewer than two cars because there were so many. Here's a link to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution blog... read the comments, a lot of people are really angry about state & local leadership in this case as well. (I'd post my thoughts but it might get me points lol.) http://t.co/QIW2ieCIF9

BTW, if y'all want to see some crazy pictures, check out the AJC twitter: twitter.com/ajc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter