The THYROID Thread

Your thyroid will get hyper when you lose weight. The books I have read say that meds are prescribed depending on weight. The more you weight the more thyroid homone your body needs and vs versa. I went on weight watchers and my medication went down with my weight when I would become hyper. It is supposed to take 6 weeks to regulate on new meds but for some reason I feel the effects right away with switches in meds.

HTH,
Ang

Hi everyone. I am new to this thread. I am 26 and have had hypothyroidism for almost 2 years. Last week an my annual gyn appt the dr noticed that my thyroid was enlarged. So off to my general prac dr for an ultrasound. My favorite part was that they'll call me in 3-9 days.

At this rate I could gain like 12 lbs in that time. I always know when my thyroid is off b/c I gain weight at an alarming rate. As in last week was 6 lbs. That is with WW and walking/biking 5-6 miles a day. Let's hope they call sooner rather than later. :(

I had nodules on my thyroid about 5 years ago, had surgery to remove part of my thyroid and the isthmus.

Last year more nodules were discovered and I almost cried, I didn't want surgery again! But the surgeon I went to before no longer works at the hospital, so they sent me to someone else and he is wonderful!!

He sent me for an ultrasound guided fine needle aspiration, and since it was benign he said we'd just "watch it." Six months later I had another ultrasound and nothing had changed, so he said to wait another year and have another ultrasound and if nothing has changed by that time he will just say I'm one of many who get nodules and leave me alone.

I'm all for that!! :banana:

I do take thyroid medication daily and have a "permanent smile" on my neck.

I'm so glad I found this thread. I need a little advice. My two sisters and mother all have hypothyroidism. My youngest sister (age 15) was diagnosed with Hashimoto's at age 10. She has been on Synthroid since. She goes to a good Endo, but he is out of town, she lives in a small town, so she only goes about once a year even though she should be there twice a year. My mom is quite the procrastinator, which is why she doesn't get there enough and I live in a different state so I can't take her. She goes for bloodwork every 3 months and it is usually normal.

Anyway, she is visiting for the summer and is having a bit of a rough time. She has been exercising at our fitness center, eating healthy, but just keeps gaining weight (about 20-30lbs in the last year). She is feeling so discouraged. As you can guess she is overweight and I'm supposed to take her shopping for clothes and stuff for school. Well we went to Lane Bryant and everything looked bad on her (maybe they are cutting clothes differently now or maybe she just gained weight in weird places). Anyway, on the way home she cried in the car and I felt so helpless. I told her that I know she's frustrated, but we'll find stuff that looks good, we just have to keep looking. I don't know where because plus size clothing is hard to come by. Any suggestions for stores?

Also, I know she is upset because my other sister was a size 24 for a long time and is now a 28 and she really works out hard, but the weight just doesn't seem to come off. I think maybe she is afraid it will be like that for her.

To make matters worse, my youngest sister has a lot of facial hair that I guess comes with the disorder. Last time she was at the doctor he said she may have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. She is so self concious about it, she just wants me to wax it off, but my mom is a PITA and says don't do it because it will come in like a man's beard, etc. She had blood work to find out if it was PCOS, but of course, the lab lost it and my mom never called to have it reordered.

soooo....anyone have any tips, advice, suggestions for me or my sister? Being in high school, all these things are very hard for her to deal with. She loves to read so if there are any book suggestions, we are open to them. High school is hard enough without all this.

If you made it this far....thanks for reading

I'd love to take a peek at her thyroid blood test results.
Thyroid is SO HARD to deal with, and if you are an unlucky one who doesnt react as expected once meds start, then you're really in for an uphill battle.

Does she have access to her tests? She should. And she should learn what they mean with some good research. Without seeing her labs, you could suggest that she ask her doc if her levels are ok... and where in the range she falls. You might talk to him about other meds. Or even other diagnoses...

I sure hope she gets help.

I'm so glad I found this thread. I need a little advice. My two sisters and mother all have hypothyroidism. My youngest sister (age 15) was diagnosed with Hashimoto's at age 10. She has been on Synthroid since. She goes to a good Endo, but he is out of town, she lives in a small town, so she only goes about once a year even though she should be there twice a year. My mom is quite the procrastinator, which is why she doesn't get there enough and I live in a different state so I can't take her. She goes for bloodwork every 3 months and it is usually normal.

Anyway, she is visiting for the summer and is having a bit of a rough time. She has been exercising at our fitness center, eating healthy, but just keeps gaining weight (about 20-30lbs in the last year). She is feeling so discouraged. As you can guess she is overweight and I'm supposed to take her shopping for clothes and stuff for school. Well we went to Lane Bryant and everything looked bad on her (maybe they are cutting clothes differently now or maybe she just gained weight in weird places). Anyway, on the way home she cried in the car and I felt so helpless. I told her that I know she's frustrated, but we'll find stuff that looks good, we just have to keep looking. I don't know where because plus size clothing is hard to come by. Any suggestions for stores?

Also, I know she is upset because my other sister was a size 24 for a long time and is now a 28 and she really works out hard, but the weight just doesn't seem to come off. I think maybe she is afraid it will be like that for her.

To make matters worse, my youngest sister has a lot of facial hair that I guess comes with the disorder. Last time she was at the doctor he said she may have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. She is so self concious about it, she just wants me to wax it off, but my mom is a PITA and says don't do it because it will come in like a man's beard, etc. She had blood work to find out if it was PCOS, but of course, the lab lost it and my mom never called to have it reordered.

soooo....anyone have any tips, advice, suggestions for me or my sister? Being in high school, all these things are very hard for her to deal with. She loves to read so if there are any book suggestions, we are open to them. High school is hard enough without all this.

Hi, my heart goes out to your little sister. I have the same issues lately that my thyroid is low and I have gained 35 lbs in the last year with 10 of them being in the last month with watching and writing all my food down (gave up on WW since I was on the lowest points they suggest and still gaining) and exercising 45 minutes of cardio and 15 min of weights. Go figure. I am off to my doctor tomorrow to discuss it and get a TSH check. Not much you can do except be careful of what you eat and exercise. Along with keeping in touch with the doctor.

As for clothing. There is Avenue and Fashion bug plus or online there is Woman Within and Roaman's. Google the store names with coupon after them and you will find lots of discounts. The online stores have lengths listed so if she likes longer tops she can easily find them there.

Good luck and tell your sister she is not alone and not to give up trying.

Hi everyone! Love this thread...I too had thyroid cancer, gp noticed my swollen thryoid in when I was 27, watched it for 6 months, biopsied - not definitive, went in for surgery, did a frozen cell biopsy that showed benign, got home and the next day they called and said it was actually malignant and come back in and get the rest out. A complication from my surgeries...my parathyroids died and my body now does not produce or absorb calcium without lots of help (meds).

Must go, dd isn't feeling well and wants me to lay with her. Will read and write more tomorrow.

Oh - I also had Hashimoto's, they discovered that when they removed my thyroid, said I'd had it for a while.

I've always been told t.cancer isn't hereditary - anyone heard different? I'm also watching for signs in dd of Hashimoto's, any certain signs to look for? Growth, she's always been top of the charts and used to be SKINNY. Now at 10 she's a little heavier than many of her peers, but she could also just be gaining and getting ready to grow...I just worry about her...

Hi everyone! I just discovered this thread and wanted to post. I lost my dad in January to thyroid cancer (very rare type called anaplastic carcinoma). He was diagnosed in 2004 and given 6 months to live, but he was a fighter and lived for close to 4 years after his diagnosis.

I am also hypothyroid, and I honestly get completely freaked at the thought of cancer. I do have a yearly ultrasound, and so far, they haven't found anything that looks suspicious. Of course, fears aren't always rational!

Hi everyone! I just discovered this thread and wanted to post. I lost my dad in January to thyroid cancer (very rare type called anaplastic carcinoma). He was diagnosed in 2004 and given 6 months to live, but he was a fighter and lived for close to 4 years after his diagnosis.

I am also hypothyroid, and I honestly get completely freaked at the thought of cancer. I do have a yearly ultrasound, and so far, they haven't found anything that looks suspicious. Of course, fears aren't always rational!

I'm so sorry about your dad. :hug:

No fears aren't rational, you're absolutely right. :) Are you seeing an endo? I would think that if you're getting annual ultrasounds they will be able to find any cancer before it grows too much. I, like many others who've posted, had my cancer and they watched the growth for 6 months before they decided to operate...the good news about this cancer is it's slow growing. So remind yourself of that when you start to get scared. You're aware of it and monitoring so it won't take long to find it if it's there...:hug:

I'm so sorry about your dad. :hug:

No fears aren't rational, you're absolutely right. :) Are you seeing an endo? I would think that if you're getting annual ultrasounds they will be able to find any cancer before it grows too much. I, like many others who've posted, had my cancer and they watched the growth for 6 months before they decided to operate...the good news about this cancer is it's slow growing. So remind yourself of that when you start to get scared. You're aware of it and monitoring so it won't take long to find it if it's there...:hug:

Thanks for the encouragement. Currently, my general practioner has been doing my testing and refers me out when there is a problem and for ultrasounds. She has had thyroid cancer so she has been great about everything. The endo I was using previously was awful so I stopped going to her. She was more worried about selling me a diet plan that she had created than helping my condition.

Hi. I have hypothyroidism too. ;) I was diagnosed with it when i was 12 or 13. My parents didn't find out i had it till i went with them to my sisters thyroid doctor and he took one look at me and said i had it and i had blood tests done and it confirmed it. Also my dad has it as well so we all on synthroid medication. :scared1: . I'm 28 now and still the same size i was when i was 13. I see a family physician now instead on an endocrinologist. I get tired alot but that's from babysitting a one year old these days. lol

I am no help with the weight issue ( I have gained 50 pounds in the two years since I had my thyroid removed) but I wanted to tell you that Torrid is a good store for plus sized teenagers or young people. www.torrid.com

Update on DH. He was given a clean bill of health after having his 6 month ultrasounds. It has been rough on and off for the past 6 months trying to get him on the right med levels. And they have just upped them again. But they did tell us that it would be probably at least a year until they had them regulated. So we're being patient. He is feeling so much better though. We are both so very glad that we switched surgeons and did'nt allow the 1st to do the partial removal as he wanted. I think that would of in hind sight been a bad thing all the way around. Just wanted to say to all the new people...Welcome! This thread is a wonderful way to help ease your mind and get answers and opinions. It helped me tremendously! I'm not by any means an expert on this subject and am learning as I go. But one thing I can tell you....if you don't like the answers or treatment your getting from your dr....make sure you look for another. We are so very glad that we did. And we now have a wonderful Endo who actually listens and explains. Will continue to update. Thanks all once again! :)

I am a almost 6 year thyroid cancer survivor. Had my whole thyroid removed in Sept, 2002. I hate going through the yearly hypo and scan. This year I went the Genzyme shot route. It was a lot easier, but still hard to take. People always say "You are so lucky it is only thyroid cancer!". Yea, I am so lucky I had cancer!!! There is a great thyroid group online called thyca.org. I get a lot of info and strenth from that sight. I am so happy you started this thread. Nice to have comfort for a mutual problem and mix a litlle Pixie Dust in with it. Prayers for all of us says the Queen!!!! And great THS's for all says the King.:cheer2:

I wanted to come back and post about my DD.

It was discovered that the entire thyroid gland was growing on the back of her tongue - and it was growing fast. Because of the size it was decided that it had to be removed. Initially they decided to implant a portion in her forearm, but at the last minute decided to just leave a small piece in place on her tongue. We go today for her post-op check-up and to find out the THS levels and to see when they are going to start Synthroid.

I have been putting a list together of questions to ask at today's appointment - The surgeon and his resident are very good at what they do - but I think they assume that you know what they know and are quick to answer - but not explain.

I'm going to go back and read this thread from the beginning. I'd like to find out what I need to look for in DD - to indicate her levels are too high or too low, etc.

Thanks for the thread - and all of the info that has been shared.

Has anyone here done any bariatric surgery due to their weight gain from hypothyroidism? I am seriously considering it. I've been carrrying around these pounds too long, and I just can't stand being this overweight anymore. The thyroid has just "killed" my metabolism. I've done WW, Nutri, Slim-fast, too many diets to count. I walk all the time, a minimum of 1.75 miles, more often 2.5 miles at least 4-5 times a week. It's just so frustrating. Especially when I ballooned up so fast. A couple of years ago I ballooned up almost 35 lbs in one month! Lord, keep me strong!

Hi!

Just found this thread - through someone on the budget board when I posted an OT thread re: Thyroid Cancer. as my sister just found out that she has Thyroid Cancer after having it removed - she has completed her medication and is now off that and has started special diet and then will go for radio-active iodine treatment. She has 2 kids 6ds & 2dd who have to physically stay away from her for at least a week. During this time, she has stay in her home as she is going to be radio-active for a while so her kids are going to stay with my parents. It used to be that you stayed in a hospital during this treatment, but now you go home and deal with the consequences or making sure that others and the home remain relatively safe and radioactive-free. I know this is going to be difficult, so has anyone gone through this or know anyone that has? Any helpful hints on coping with this would be greatly appreciated!

We still have WDW scheduled for Thanksgiving as a family so at least she has something to look forward to !

Thanks!

Melissa :wizard:

Hi Melissa -

When I had my radioactive iodine treatment I was in the hospital until my radioactivity came below a certain level and people had to stay x-paces away from me. When I left I had to leave my toothbrush, underclothes, etc at the hospital. At home I had to pour rat poison in the toilet after I went (each time) - they said it attracts the radiation or something from the toilet. I didn't have dd at the time (it was 15 years ago) but they did tell me if I had a child neck/neck contact was prohibited. So cradling her or something. They were primarily concerned w/ kids b/c they're still growing. Had to wash the sheets in hot water and not sleep w/dh for a few nights.

I don't remember a special diet...

It might be a bigger adjustment for her to get her meds at a good level...that was frustrating. I remember being hypo and hyper in the following months, neither was a good feeling.

Hi all. I started a thread about this but I am so glad I was pointed in this direction.

Here's the short story...an ultrasound of my thyroid found a lump. I need to have it biopsied. I have an appointment but what can I expect at that visit. Will the Dr do the biopsy in his office?? Will it be a consult first then another visit?? Will this hurt, is it invasive? Has anyone had this done before?

The long story...I have been going through lots of testing for the past 4-5 years to explain my symptoms. I have been tired, depressed, forgetful, twitchy, have headaches every day and sometimes I don't speak right. I either forget the words, forget what I was going to say or just slur the words. It has been frustrating to say the least. About 3 years ago I went for an MRI and the neurologist said it may be MS. I have 'spots' on my scan. A year later I went for a follow up MRI and the same spots were still there, same size, etc. Recently I went to my primary care office for a checkup and saw a different PCP in the office. She read my MRI report and said the technition stated that the 'spots' were insignificant in size and that the neurologist I had gone to did not specialize in MS soooooo to rule out everything she sent me for more labs. My bloodwork has been coming back normal every time. I mentioned that my husband suggested having my thyroid checked. My bloodwork on that once again came back normal but she also sent me for an ultrasound. This is how they found the lump. The Dr said she is hopeful because there is a lump on both sides but 1 just isn't big enough to biopsy but she still wanted me to see a specialist ASAP. They wouldn't even let me make the appt.

I'm kinda scared and want to know what to expect from anyone who's been there.

Thanks

I had a needle biopsy done on my lump I had on my thyroid...they use a long thin needle and tell you it feels like a bee sting. Honestly it wasn't bad and I'm a HUGE wimp!! And yes he did it in his office. Mine came back inconclusive and they watched it for 6 months to see if it would grow (it did) and then did a partial thyroidectomy, the frozen cell biopsy they did during the surgery came back benign but oops - wasn't accurate so I got to have another surgery a few days later after the other biopsy came back.

I remember feeling scared when I had it done, and thinking about walking around and looking "normal" when I might have cancer inside me. I think it's worse not knowing, you have no plan and no direction.

Many of your symptoms sound like hypothyroid - forgetful, tired, depressed. I was going to say the problems w/speech and "twitchy" sound like it to but I was mixing my symptoms - that's how I get when my calcium gets low, I stutter and get "twitches."

I feel for you...:hug: how frustrating and scary to be going through this for 4 - 5 years and then hearing it might be MS...I hope these new tests give you an answer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter