The THYROID Thread

She had the RAI about 3 weeks ago. A year and nine months after her surgeries to remove both sides of her thyroid. The endo had seen something on a test.

Got it!! So then it's perfectly normal to light up on the scan at this point.

Anyone have dental issues? Anyone have more dental issues post rai??

I feel like I have dental issues but the dentist thinks it's all in my head. He cannot find anything wrong which is good. However, I feel like my teeth are loose or weak. I cannot explain it but when I bite into something hard like an apple, carrot or hard bread it pains me, like a nerve pain of sorts. Who knows.

No luck on the baby front. I love my son dearly but the thought of this thyroid thing taking something else away from me, like having more kids, is just annoying. Oh well. We signed our contracts and gave in our down payment, so the house thing is coming along. Hoping to hear on a closing date soon. Excited and nervous all at the same time.

Hope everyone is well!

Hi everyone

Jenn - So happy to hear your good news about the house. I am sure you will love your own place. Sorry you are dealing with the TTC issues.

Nothing too much happening. I am just generally tired as usual. I think I might be getting a stye or something in my R eye, not the L eye that needs the surgery. I really dont want to go back to that dr. right now because she will push me for the surgery for sure and I am not emotionally ready to deal with that right now.

I scheduled my reclast infusion for Nov. 12th. I think before that I need a mammo too. I need to get a flu shot. And throw in 2 caps I am suppose to get too. I think I will tell him to just do 1 and then its off to Disney Nov. 26. I waited too long to get the tickets. So expensive. Glad we have our southwest vouchers for being stuck 4 hours in Orlando in May, that will help $100 each

Update when you all can.

ok - stupid synthroid question of the day, shouting out to all my thyroid gals...

What if you accidently take 2 150 pills in one day? Hmm, does that mean I will be a hyper 300 person today? But then again with the impending hurricaine I am hyper anyway etc.

Jenn, Christine and anyone else in the path of Sandy, stay safe.

It's fine, just skip taking it tomorrow. My endo has one patient with a terrible time remembering who takes 7 pills every Sunday. I'd be scared I'd forget on Sunday.

Anyone near the hurricane please be safe. We are home with food and water all set. Just hoping not to lose power. Wishing I was somewhere warm and sunny, but I will enjoy being stuck home with my guys.

Jenn - I m home with most of the guys, poor ds24 had to go to work. 2 colleges for the other 2 ds and dh work closed

Well grab a drink and sit and relax and read my story of..my lovely pre trip to the emergency room before the hurricaine last night.

Oh yeah, yest. I was having so much pain in my L back ribs, hard to breathe and move and then dh and ds20 (my nursing son to be) see my L back is swelling and puffy etc. This is not good. I have been in pain since Thurs. I just about cant take the pain anymore and I can take a lot of it.

So we go to the er. Both the resident and the regular dr. say I have such an "interesting" story. (They are talking about the cancer, near death, stomach surgeries etc). I said, yes I do. I told the dr. to think outside the box with me.

He concludes its either muscle or blood clot. Great. He wants to do a chest ct. I said,hmm, not good with iodine. He says the benefits outweigh the risk and since I dont exercise much I am prime blood clot candidate, oh what fun.

So 9 tubes of blood later, 9 hours later, 3 chest x rays, a ct chest scan with iodine contrast, 2 bags of iv fluids, they conclude...its a muscle injury.

:yay: I am happy. He said take some pain meds, which I am not having dh get right now in the hurricaine, and put heat on it. Its still a pain and hurts a lot. The swelling is getting better though.

So now I have in the back of my mind about the iodine etc. I am suppose to get the reclast soon and i just had that blood test on sat. Hmm, I will run this all by the endo when I see her in 2 weeks.

I gotta say those health care people work their butts off at the univ. hosp. here. Wasnt too happy going because of all the past stuff but it turned out ok. PTL!

I am so glad you are ok. What is the problem with getting an iodine scan? As far as I know it is ok as long as you aren't going to do the LID/scan within a certain amount of time...But I don't have all your complications, though.

We made it through the storm! Never lost power and thankfully work has and continues to be closed so we have not left the house. It was scary at certain times with the winds causing trees to break but luckily I cannot complain of any major damage. I cannot say the same for some of our friends who homes were too close to the shore and now their furniture is literally floating in their house. It is very sad for many people in our area. Feeling very fortunate.

Sorry to hear you aren't feeling well luvmarypoppins and hoping you are better soon. It's a helpless feeling being ill and stuck in a storm. Hoping all goes well for you!

Jenn - snow, snow, we have had enough plus our power went off twice today. How are you doing?

We all could use all the prayers you have for the NY and NJ metro area.

Hmm, should I be concerned?

Micayla - I believe you could give some insight here, especially since you had the spect scan.

Just got a letter from the er yest, saying my "abnorma" test results need to be discussed with my dr.

Of particular note and what is scaring me the most, so much so I had a little crying fest last night and refused to tell my ds what is going on. Thank God dh is away.

They say there is a 2.5 cm nodule in my lung. It has increased from 0.5. They used an old pet scan to compare it with.

I am so glad I am going to the endo on monday for the infusion anyway. I am bringing all the papers and she can pull my electronic records etc.

That is why I go to the univ. hosp. Love the electronic records. Everything is in one place etc.

Oh and I am also eating a lot, a lot of chocolate.

LMP- My spect scan was kinda an abundance of caution thing, they thought that they kind of maybe saw something, and wanted to be sure. When does your DH get back? I will be praying for you.

Got referred to a reproductive endo yesterday...wonder how many people have two different endocrinologists!

Do you guys have trouble with dry skin since your thyroidectomy? Anyone found really great products to help with that?

Just saw that Brooke Burke announced she has thyroid cancer.

I always hate reading the media blurbs on this. The "famous people" always sound so ridiculous. She didn't sound too bad but I think she exaggerated how big her scar is going to be.

Do you guys have trouble with dry skin since your thyroidectomy? Anyone found really great products to help with that?

I have had dry skin since way before thyroid cancer so I can't blame it on that. It only gets worse as I get older.

I use straight-up Vaseline on my face. I let it sit on there for a few minutes and then blot off the excess before bed so my pillow is not disgusting. In the morning, I reapply after washing face. I let it sit there again while I get dressed, put my hair products in. Then I wipe it off fully and apply my makeup. It is the ONLY think that keeps my face from flaking.

For my body, I buy the tub of Cetaphil cream at Costco and slather it on after each bath/shower. Only thing that keeps me from itching.

I'm a mess.

Just saw that Brooke Burke announced she has thyroid cancer.

I always hate reading the media blurbs on this. The "famous people" always sound so ridiculous. She didn't sound too bad but I think she exaggerated how big her scar is going to be.

Yeah a straight up thyroidectomy is a pretty small scar...I can't believe she found out in July and waited this long. I wanted it OUT.

Micayla - I hope you like the repro endo. I am sure that is going to be a journey in itself. My cousin did all that too.

I saw about Brooke too. Hmm, maybe she will post annon. on thyca?:)

My skin problems are always pimples . I t never ends. I feel like a teenager in an old lady body:rotfl2:

My skin doesnt itch too much.

And on the hurricane front, my one ds scored gas yest, dh is coming home today and its his rationing day so he can get some. Another ds got some but only had $20 on him. Its still a worry. My one ds is doing a food drive helping our church for a mission on sat. at a grocery store etc.

My infusion is Mon. The worst side effects could be the high fever and dillusional for 2 days again but she said I shouldnt get those side effects again. Hmm, almost like the thyrogen shot.

Yeah a straight up thyroidectomy is a pretty small scar...I can't believe she found out in July and waited this long. I wanted it OUT.

She also stupidly said that thyroid cancer is the good cancer to get. What an oxymoron.

Well I showed my dh the papers from the emergency room too. He is as confused as me. He also noted it kept saying decrease in size while they quoted exact numbers that showed an increase in size. We will see what the dr. says tomm.

Meanwhile, the ds have been oh so nice to me. I guess they dont want to add to my already stressed out stuff.

Oh and I thought my dh was going to stay with me. Oh no, he said he is dropping me off because he has a meeting with someone at the univ. for a project he is working on. This is actually a day he is off from work, not one he even took off. Umm, not like he was just gone for a week, such is my life. I guess I will just listen to what the endo says etc.

I already told him about the vacation. He always wants to sleep in late etc. I cant blame him as its his actual vacation, but I like to get up and out early and that just never happens. Its so annoying. I am not a rope drop person but I like to get there 10 ish and with him its always no earlier than 11 etc.

Back from the endo. I did not get the infusion because they are not doing any infusions in the office anymore. I have to go to an infusion center which she filed out the paperwork for me for. It was a scene as dh was being obnoxious to the nurse and embaressing me in the waiting room. When they took my bp it was 175/110:scared1: I told the nurse I was going to see the dr. because I had papers from the er that needed to be discussed. Dh kept saying you are a scared bunny, I need to advocate for you etc. I said I can advocate for myself and shut up etc.

When we finally saw the dr. She said she had to go call the radiologist and page her. She then came back and said..get this. It was a typo!! It was not 2.3 which showed an increase. it should have been .23 and the radiologist is correcting my record immediately. Dh did say, what a difference a decimal point makes.

The endo does not like the heart stuff and filled out paperwork for me to be seen by cardiology. So those are next. Oh and after I told dh to shut up they took my blood pressure again and it was 110/75. He said it was because I got good news. I told him no it was because I told you to be quiet. So now my new rule is, if you are not going to be quiet and since I dont have a car to take myself anywhere then he needs to stay in the waiting room. Gheesh, this is more stress I dont want to deal with.

Well at least the trip is almost here. I made the reservations for the wheelchair and towncar this morning. I am still on the fence about MVMCP. Dh does not enjoy it. I would like to go. He would just ruin the time by saying how expensive it is etc. We shall see.

Micayla - do you have an appt. with the repro endo yet? Wishing you all the best.

Hope everyone is well.

Oh my gosh to put you through all that from a typo! At least it wasn't bad news. :goodvibes

The first appt they had was Dec 17 and I told them I could take it, but that my job is very flexible and if they have any cancellations I can make it there at the last minute. She said "Oh, Ok! I will put you on that list then. We probably can get you in earlier." I was surprised how optimistic she sounded, but I haven't heard from them so far.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter