• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The THYROID Thread

Christine, your trip sounds great. Wow, you are brave to drive. I know there is no way I could take it physically.

Like your dining choices. Cant wait to hear all about it. Have a great trip!

Christine, your trip sounds great. Wow, you are brave to drive. I know there is no way I could take it physically.

Like your dining choices. Cant wait to hear all about it. Have a great trip!

I'm really not happy about driving. It's about 13 hours. In my Elantra. Oh, why did I not buy the Sonata????

The last time I drove to Florida was when I was about 24 years old and I went straight through to Stuart, Florida. It was a long haul but I was YOUNG. I have a hard time driving to my DD's university in West Virginia (3 hour trip each way) without feeling crippled.

I'm waiting on my test results. I'm 39 and haven't had a period all year. He said it could be anything from stress to thyroid. Waiting is getting to me.

:faint:

Just wanted to join in-

I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer two years ago, although this was during surgery to remove a growth and have been cancer free ever since. I developed hypothyroid after the surgery. Then, I gained 60 pounds in 4 months. This was partly due to the disease, and partly due to me turning to food to cope. Now I am trying to get rid of the weight!

I also have been diagnosed with hyperparathyroid disease.

Just wanted to say hello to all my fellow problem-thyroided friends!

Just wanted to join in-

I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer two years ago, although this was during surgery to remove a growth and have been cancer free ever since. I developed hypothyroid after the surgery. Then, I gained 60 pounds in 4 months. This was partly due to the disease, and partly due to me turning to food to cope. Now I am trying to get rid of the weight!

I also have been diagnosed with hyperparathyroid disease.

Just wanted to say hello to all my fellow problem-thyroided friends!

Welcome!!

So were you having parathyroid surgery when the thyroid cancer was discovered? My last endocrinologist, who is now retired, found his thyroid cancer that way. He had a benign growth on his parathyroid that was causing hyperparathyroidism. While the surgeon was in there removing it, they noted that he had a nodule on his thyroid gland, so that took that too. It ended up being papillary thyroid cancer.

Did you not know that the thyroid surgery would cause you to have hypothyroidism? Maybe it was the way you worded your post but it almost sounded like you weren't expecting that. And, if so, why did they let you go so long without thyroid hormone replacement. To gain 60 lbs sounds as if it went on a good amount of time. I know that I gained about 10-13 lbs when I was off my meds for 6 weeks.

Welcome!!

So were you having parathyroid surgery when the thyroid cancer was discovered? My last endocrinologist, who is now retired, found his thyroid cancer that way. He had a benign growth on his parathyroid that was causing hyperparathyroidism. While the surgeon was in there removing it, they noted that he had a nodule on his thyroid gland, so that took that too. It ended up being papillary thyroid cancer.

Did you not know that the thyroid surgery would cause you to have hypothyroidism? Maybe it was the way you worded your post but it almost sounded like you weren't expecting that. And, if so, why did they let you go so long without thyroid hormone replacement. To gain 60 lbs sounds as if it went on a good amount of time. I know that I gained about 10-13 lbs when I was off my meds for 6 weeks.

Yes- I had the surgery to remove all 4 parathyroid glands, and have one redeposited into my chest. While they were in there, they took out half of my thyroid which had the growth. I had a biopsy done before surgery and it came back inconclusive, so they only took half out, sent it to the lab to be tested, it came back negative for cancer, so they left the other half and sewed me back up. Upon further "probing" into the lump, they ended up finding cancer afterall. Very frustrating since the idea was that if it was cancerous, they were going to remove the whole thing to avoid having surgery again. My endocrinologist had said hypothyroid would be a possibility, but because they were only taking half it wasn't for sure. She has been testing me out on various medications and doses for the hypothyroid, and the first 3 or 4 that I tried were not sufficient, and I didn't have the right medication until about 8 months after the surgery.

Yes- I had the surgery to remove all 4 parathyroid glands, and have one redeposited into my chest. While they were in there, they took out half of my thyroid which had the growth. I had a biopsy done before surgery and it came back inconclusive, so they only took half out, sent it to the lab to be tested, it came back negative for cancer, so they left the other half and sewed me back up. Upon further "probing" into the lump, they ended up finding cancer afterall. Very frustrating since the idea was that if it was cancerous, they were going to remove the whole thing to avoid having surgery again. My endocrinologist had said hypothyroid would be a possibility, but because they were only taking half it wasn't for sure. She has been testing me out on various medications and doses for the hypothyroid, and the first 3 or 4 that I tried were not sufficient, and I didn't have the right medication until about 8 months after the surgery.

I see. You had an experience similar to mine. I had a single nodule on my thyroid (and at the time could not be biopsied). My surgeon said that thyroid cancer was very rare so he was only going to remove half of the thyroid and also the isthmus. He told me that my remaining thyroid would takeover and I would not need treatment with thyroid hormone. So, while I was on the table, they did the partial thyroidectomy and they did an on-the-spot "frozen" section biopsy which came back benign. They sewed me up and sent me home with directions to report back to the surgeon in a week.

When I went for the follow-up visit, the full pathology was back and I had papillary thyroid cancer. This required a second surgery and follow up RAI treatment. I was put on thyroid medication after this surgery and I never really had a problem getting regulated. My first endo did not keep me suppressed enough so for the first 2 years, I had a TSH closer to 4.0 (I felt fine). When I got a new endo, he found that totally unacceptable and raised my dosage. I've been pretty stable ever since (about 17 years now).

Hopefully you can get your medication stabilized. It makes all the difference.

Kristie - welcome. Glad to hear you are doing well after all you went through. Hope you get the right med dose. That helps so much and makes you feel decent too.

Christine - how was your trip??? I did see your post about how cold it was at the tea. I did the tea with one of the breast cancer gals the other year. It was such a nice time.

Well I need to make a bone scan appt. and the dentist too.

My neck has really been bothering me on and off. Maybe scar tissue? The 2nd surgeon did tell dh I would have problems all my life because of what he had to do to save my life. Oh well, its def. not fun for sure. One night I felt a "pop". Scared me for sure!

So how is everyone else doing???

My trip was very nice. It all went well, I didn't get too tired like a normally do, and had some good meals. I hate to even say this but I came back and found I had lost 5lbs. Now, most people would be jumping for joy, but the hypochondriac in me freaked out.

I have tried to rationalize it to all the walking I did for 5 days and this was probably the first trip that I did not overeat. I also only had one dessert the whole time. Well, two if you count the scones and the little bites of pastry after tea.

The 13 hour drive down wasn't as horrific as I thought but I don't think I'll do it again. I will plan better and just get the flights.

Our offsite vacation home was nice too. Five bedrooms, four baths. Everyone just about had their own bathroom.

As for the weird neck stuff--I've had weird pops too. It's like sometimes my throat gets "caught" in a weird place and locks up. It actually kind of hurts. Then in pops back and feels normal. I don't know what that's from.

How did your tests turn out? Hope all is well.

Still don't know anything!!!!:headache:

They called and said my "levels were elevated" and wanted some more tests. Took blood a week ago today with no OFFICIAL answer.

Thanks for checking on me.

My symptoms are really weird. Like a pulling sensation on the L side of the neck. Sometimes my L ear feels like it is clogged and it feels like I cant swallow on the L side. Like the eustachian tube? Not totally trouble swallowing etc.

The pop was so scary because it was on the L side and I was thinking, I hope that the vein is not popping and bursting etc. I know, crazy me, but with all I went through I am always a little on edge about this kind of stuff etc.

I really dont want to go back to the surgeon. What will he do?? A ct scan?? Probably even if he did and saw how bad it was on the inside he would say he doesnt want to do anything probably for fear he would ruin the only stuff that is hanging on and keeping me still alive etc.

Oh the joys of thy ca!:)

This thread is too quiet, is that a good sign?:)

JKM - any news yet?

So everyone ask me what I have been doing for over the last 4 hours this morning, starting at 7 am, why yes of course...trying to make a reservation for the Be Our Guest rest. and it turned out to be..is this the right word my kids would use?? Epic Fail!!

After dialing over 4 hours, finally go through and then waitied for a cm for abut 40 minutes give r take. Give her 4 days or maybe 5 days and zip, zada nothing for 2 people Nov. 26-Dec lst. I left out one day for the candlelight package. So I am so sad and utterly disappointed. The cm said to call back tomm. as people are double booking. I didnt say anything. I jst hung up. I was too sad. Guess I shouldnt have had my heart set on this. Oh well, at least we have LTT and Plaza for dinner. One is a MVMCP night, still dont know if we are doing that yet. So I guess we could check out the counter service. Heard it will be like 1 hour long lines:scared1:

In the midst of calling the regular phone left a message that my reg. gp (you all know I cant stand him) office called and said I am due for blood testing??? hmm, havent been there in a year. I also just had a basic met. panel from the endo. I will tell them that and I do want the B12 tested and I know the endo didnt do that. I just dont feel like dealing with this kooky dr. They said they would mail me a script so that would be good not to waste a $20 copay on his nothingness etc.

My dishwasher died. We are getting a new one today. Not what I wanted but dh said what he picked out is better, oh well, dh is off to Greece on Friday, till sep. 4th I thinkthen he comes back for about 2 weeks and he is off to the west coast again. I think I will need a food and wine vacation too for sure.

Guess I will get the bone scan sometime.

Hope everyone is well. Check in when you can.

I'm not always getting emails when someone posts...I'm feeling ok but have lost about 10 lbs so it will be interesting to see what my levels are.

LMP, bummed you can't get into Be Our Guest!

LMP that stinks about Be Our Guest, hoping something opens up for you!

I'm off to the surgeon tomorrow just so he can check my scar some more. At this point I'm done with perfecting it and hope he is too. I'm not interested in any more needles.

We've had a tough time ttc which has me pretty bummed. My first son was before thyroid cancer. And although the doctors all tell me my thyroid issues should not prevent me from having kids, it has been more than six months and nothing. Last time it worked on the first try. Guess I was spoiled.

We are also in the process of buying a house, which is terribly stressful. Too much change all at once is not easy for someone on a high dose of synthroid.

Hoping everyone is doing well!

JKM - any news yet?

Hope everyone is well. Check in when you can.

Doc put me on a low dose of synthroid (?). Still no period, so maybe my throid isn't the problem for that. Go back on 9/14 for more tests to see if I may be in pre-mature ovarian failure. :crazy2:

Too bad about the reservation.

Doc put me on a low dose of synthroid (?). Still no period, so maybe my throid isn't the problem for that. Go back on 9/14 for more tests to see if I may be in pre-mature ovarian failure. :crazy2:

Too bad about the reservation.

How long have you been on it? It takes about 6 weeks to go into full effect; which makes adjusting your dose just joyful, let me tell ya.

I didn't have my period for 5 years. After having my thyroid removed and a few months of getting my medication at the right level I got it again. Ever since it has been VERY regular, more regular than it was my entire life!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter