The Sword and the Rose (1953) Review

IllinoisJones

Displaying My Ears
The reign of Henry the VII is the background for this story. During that time in history, it wasn't uncommon for royals to marry off female siblings to other royals for both personal gain and as a form of negotiating with other countries. This sets the stage for Disney's the Sword and the Rose. Princess Mary wants nothing to do with an arranged marriage to the aging King Louis XII of France even with peace between the English and the French at stake. Mary has her sights set on the new Captain of the Guard, Charles Brandon played by Richard Todd. Mary is played by Glynis John's who would have a much more famous role a decade later as Mrs Banks in Mary Poppins. Director Ken Annakin would go on to direct a few other Disney projects including the classic, Swiss Family Robinson. THIS film is not a classic. It has some action and adventure with hints of humor but overall is forgettable and passable. There are long periods that drag and the characters aren't very relatable nor did I care about them very much. The production is much more interesting to me than the movie itself. Following World War II England wanted to reestablish it's filmmaking industry so it set a stipulation that all profits from films made in other countries would have to stay in Great Britain. So Walt set up a studio in the UK and used the locked up funds to produce several Disney movies there. I'm sorry to say The Sword and the Rose isn't near the top of the list during this era of Disney filmmaking. 1 1/2 crowns out of 5.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter