The SUPER GOOFS are sweating our way through AUGUST, will this heat wave end soon?

suzannews

DIS Veteran
Team listing:

suzannews-Suzanne 18
airtime247-Steve 3123
cindylou-Cindy 1312
cotillard-Genny
disaholic's-Jeanne 1199
disneymomma09-Ashleigh 1107
froggygrrrl-Nicky 1178
groovygirls-Joanne 1328
hockeygirl-Laurie
jeanigor-Todd 1197
jmasgat-Maura 1179
ksoehrlein-Kim 465
lenshanem-Shan 472
mla1977-Megan
Mrs D-Dawn
pungodingy-Angie 1395
roselark-Jeanette 1320
SAHDad-Rich 1125
sk8ingmom-M 862
skinsfan76-Jason 1014
stenogoddess-Lauren 301
tutter99-Randy

Updates coming soon!

Miles- 12873.77 - 1228.87 (June) - 1195.4 (July) = 10449.5

July miles = 87.74

Had to get new sneakers, almost 300 miles on the old ones, and they were DEAD!! New ones feel SO much better!

Got a question, there is a great group of runners I have met by doing local races, they are all considerably faster than me, but ALWAYS wait at the finish line and cheer me in...I'd like to do something nice for them, but don't have any ideas?? Anyone have any suggestions?

TIA

July miles were 46.50.
My miles seem so low compared to everyone else! I hope using Galloway for my marathon training is gonna prepare me enough!

Maura, I guess I'll be trying the Vomeros out when it's time for new shoes!

Rich, sending you some pixie dust for that added "spark" of motivation. :wizard:

DH and I ran 7.5 miles yesterday morning. It is very hard running in this heat! He got chafed in a very miserable way and I got sick off the sport beans. Guess it's best to get sick off them now then during the marathon! :lmao:

My incision is healing very ugly. I just don't scar well. I guess there are worse things in life. I was still able to run this past week and get my long run in so all is good. :hippie:

Kids go back to school this Thursday. Summer vacation went by too fast. :sad1:

Have a good week GOOFS! :grouphug:

103.4 for July. Down some, but I think I've got my motivation back. Completed a great 14 mile run yesterday and felt better than I have for any long run yet. I used a fuel belt for the first time too. While I'm not a huge fan, it definately helped.

Hey all. July was HOT, but good to me otherwise. Can't say I'll miss the humidity at all once it's gone, but the sun can stay around a bit longer!

119 miles for me in July.

Wow , I remember back last year in October when I took a challenge to run 100 miles in a month and struggled to do it.

Amazing how it gets easier! Thank goodness!!!!

I'm hoping to be closer to 150 in August, but we'll see. Then tapering for an early October marathon.

Stay happy and healthy everyone!!!:hug:

Jeanne

Angie That's so nice of you to think of your support group. I wish I had an idea. I am definitely not the creative type!

Shan Sorry the sport beans didn't sit well withyou. But you're right, better to find out now. I ran out of gels for my LR yesterday and had to grab a powerbar energy bar. It was a totally different sensation having to stop and chew something. The Vomeros seem to be working out fine, but they are expensive! $130--fortunately I got them on sale for $86. I don't know what I'll do for next shoes--maybe try the Ride3 in Wide width--I didn't even realize they made them that way.

Jeanne That's great mileage. I've got killer long weekend runs and I don't think I clock that much!

My July total--including cycling and XT equivalent mileage is 239. My XT has taken a hit. Hopefully I'll get back on track.

Did 18 yesterday and really focused on drinking more--a swig every mile. It was a pain to have to think about it, but it may have helped. I drank twice as much as normal (and normal was not sufficient at all). Only downside--I need a new hydration belt. My current one has 2 bottles and I really need 4. Yesterday I just grabbed an extra bottled water and ran with it for 9 miles. Sort of a pain. I think I felt better recovery-wise when I was done. Now if my feet weren't so sore/tired!

Maura

Happy Hot month! Betwixt jogging and XT, I can say I logged 103.5 miles.

I did the Muddy Buddy in Chicago on Sunday. Got muddy.:thumbsup2 The course was more than I had expected though. Feet got swallowed in the bog/swamp on a few occasions. Dodging horse 'droppings' was fun too. :sad2: Glad Disney events don't have those added features.::yes::

184.4 miles in July including running, walking, and cross training. It would have been a little higher, but I've had to scale back in the past couple of weeks due to a cold and then a sore hip. Both seem to have gone away, so I'm ready to get back into gear.

I ran 8 miles yesterday on a trail and felt pretty good afterward, other than being a giant sweaty mess! I hope to get another 10 miles in between today and tomorrow. We'll be in Indy for a long weekend and while I have the best intentions to work out...well, we all know how that goes!

Have a great week!

~Nicky

Hi Goofs. Long time, no post, but I've been thinking about all of you and hope you're doing well. I finally took the time to enter my runs in my training log, so let me report.

May = 22.08
June = 30.35
July = 51.83

Guess my training is finally starting to ramp up, but you guys are miles ahead of me. Great job!

Angie - That's great that you are so thoughtful. I wish I had some good suggestions. Maybe volunteer at a local race you normally wouldn't compete in to help support them?

Shan - I used a walk/run training program (Bingham) for my first marathon and it worked pretty well for me. That is all I've done since recovering from my knee issues and I've progressed a lot. Definitely do your food experimenting now instead of race day! Let's just say I'm never going to celebrate 13.1 with a Caramel Frappucino again! :sick:

Jason - Great job getting your motivation back. I've been struggling with it too. More on that below. Nice 14-miler! I still can't get myself to do long training runs as I just get bored and tired of running. An hour and a half is about all I can do before I just don't feel like doing it anymore. Any suggestions?

Jeanne, Maura, & Nicky - Whoa, awesome mileage! :worship:

Todd - Great job on the Muddy Buddy. I'd love to hear your thoughts on mud races. I'd love to try one. They look pretty brutal but fun.

Kim - It's good to "see" you again. Best of luck with your training.

AFM, I have 77.4 miles for July. I've been slowing down too and losing motivation so I feel everyone's pain who is having a hard time. I have a lot of races coming up but haven't been motivated to do much else. It has been frustrating to exercise and still see the weight gradually creeping back on.

I had a marathon planned for October but since I haven't been doing any long runs more than 6 miles (except for competing in half marathons). I decided a few weeks back to just do the half instead of the full marathon since I'm nowhere near ready to run it.

I realized the other day that what motivated me in the past was having a goal to work toward. So, I decided to do the marathon afterall. I won't be in any kind of shape to do well in it but I'm sure I'll be able to do much better than the 5:51 I did at WDW in January.

I just registered so now I'm locked into it. I have been doing really well with training the last few days and today did my first hill training since January. I have also been making much better food choices since I started keeping my goal in mind. Hopefully I can keep it up!

-steve

Hello Goofs.

My July mileage: 70.2. Sort of low, but I plan to remedy that in August.

Steve:For me what really helps in doing the LRs are loops. I tell myself I'm going out for a 9 mile loop, I come by the house fill my water bottle replenish gels and pretzels then go out for a 7 mile loop come by the house and have just a 4 miler to finish it off. I know I'll be disappointed if I ended it at just 9 or just 16 when I have 20 written down on my calendar. I very rarely get bored when I'm running. I have my usual day dreams like planning my next Disney trip (2013 at this point), how I would spend a million dollars, what I'm going to cook for dinner all week. The time just seems to flow. There are a few times that I get bored, but it's usually on a 4 or 5 mile run for some reason. Good luck with your marathon training. There was a good article in RW this month on getting race ready with a short training window, maybe you can get some ideas from that.

Kim: Welcome back.

Nicky: Great mileage!! Glad to hear your cold is gone and your hip is better. Good luck trying to get some runs in over the weekend.

Todd: Great job doing the Muddy Buddy. Horse droppings seem a cruel addition to the race.

Maura: Great job getting the LR's done. It's impressive for this time of year. Good job on trying to keep hydrated. It really is a chore, but good for you in the long run (ha!).

Jeanne: What a great thing to do to look back at your progress. 100 miles a month is impressive - 119 even more so.

Jason: Glad you were able to find your motivation. Great job on the 14 miler.

Shan: Glad you were able to get your LR in. I cannot believe your kids have to go back to school already. We still have 4 1/2 weeks left of summer vacation. Of course you got out way before us I'm sure.

Angie: Not sure of a good gift idea. A box of Clif shots, or Power Bar bites? Maybe a variety for them to try new products? Offer to buy a round of drinks or coffees?

So I too have found a bit of motivation. I am planning on a Fall Half. Either Ridgefield, CT on Oct 3, or Baystate in Lowell, MA on Oct 17. It will mostly depend on if my DH will be available to watch the kids so I don't have to pay for a babysitter. I've decided that I want to shoot for a PR so that has motivated me a bit to step up my training. I found a plan in a back issue of Women's Running that seems to fit me. It's 3 runs a week which despite my desire to increase to 5 days seems to work out better for me. It includes a lot of hills, fartlek and tempo so hopefully it will whip me in to shape. I also joined a weight loss challenge which is motivating me to improve my eating.

Have a great day everyone.
Cindy

Todd Sounds like Chicago MB was muddier than Detroit MB. Did you actually have more than one mud pit?

Nicky I tend to take the word "vacation" literally....no running for me! Good for you if you keep it up.

Kim Good to see you :wave2:

Steve Sometimes, in order to make it through long/challenging workouts, I give myself "permission" to quit earlier. I will say "Just do 4 of the repeats instead of 6" or something like that, and then when I get through 4 I'll say "just one more" etc. It's like I'm tricking myself into thinking I'll only do something short, but then I do the whole thing. And kudos for signing up for a fall marathon. I am in week 6 of training for mine, and still haven't signed up for it yet!

Cindy Good luck with your 1/2 training. I also use a 3x/week plan--one day speed work, one day tempo, one day long run. Hope yours works for you.

So this weekend will be busy. DH and I are doing an organized ride on Saturday--a "metric century", so 62 miles-my longest ride. Then Sunday I am supposed to run 20 miles. Yikes! But first, I have to get through more painting of the mudroom. Boy do I hate painting ceilings. I just can't look up that much--it really makes me sick. Oh well, a little bit at a time.

Maura

Steve - what has always helped me to keep from being bored during my long runs is to alternate music for 20 minutes then no music for 20 minutes. I also have had to mix up where I run. I'll even drive to different areas to run, so I have something new and interesting to look at. And I get a huge benefit by driving someplace to run. I get to run somewhere flat. It is really hilly where I live so I get the joy of doing hills on any run here.

Congrats to everyone on all the long runs! :worship:

Hope your 20 miler goes well tomorrow Maura! :cheer2:

My run on Thursday and Friday about killed me. I now have to run two hours later thanks to school starting back so early this summer. It was brutal. Thursday it was 85 when I started and 90 when I finished up. Can't believe I'm gonna say this... I want winter! :scared1:

Hi all,

Made it through my 61 mile ride yesterday--including a detour 'cause we missed a turn. It was tough, but I made it. Not all that fast though. I guess if I ever do a Half IM, I better adjust my finish time expectations way down!

Decide to postpone my 20-miler til tomorrow--ostensibly to give my legs a rest, although I feel fine. I'm painting the mudroom instead.

10 more days and my DS leaves for college and then....empty-nest! (Although my dog is my "baby")

Maura

Shan, I'm hearing you about the heat. I went out for a run last night an hour before dusk. Thought I could run faster than usual, but even though it wasn't sunny out, it was still almost 90 degrees. Needless to say, because I'd pushed myself too hard I had to bag my "8-miler" after only 5 miles, and I'm still feeling pretty wonky today.

So the take-home message is: hydrate better and run smarter than I did, Goofy guys and gals!

Thanks for the advice on my LRs. I haven't had much luck with loops as if I have an out, I tend to take it. What has typically worked best for me are out and backs where I have no choice but to finish once I get all the way out there. I do like having the option to stop to get water and restroom stop if needed though.

I think I will try alternating between music and no music. What used to work well for me was audiobooks so maybe I'll try that again too.

Thanks again. Have a great week everyone!

-steve

Hello Goofs! Just a quick drive by to say hello. To all of those getting in your miles out in the heat, GOOD JOB!! Its been so hot here, I can't remember the last time I went walking outside. Once school starts again and I get clearance from the doctor, I really need to get my butt in gear!!

I will be updating the mileage tonight so if anyone has any miles to report for July or June or even May, let me know.

Miles- 12873.77 - 1228.87 (June) - 1195.4 (July) = 10449.5

Hey Goofs,
Sorry to have been AWOL - it's just been kind of busy, since the kids are bouncing off the walls and we are down to the single-digit dance for a trip to WDW. Anyway, my July miles are terrible - 98.9. In part, this is because I have been doing a lot of yardwork (and not counting it in my miles - :headache: ), but also because I had just been lacking motivation to get out and do more running than I needed to in order to maintain my streak.

Well, the streak has continued, and I have found some new motivation, but my August miles are going to be low as well, partly because I won't do much running while at WDW, but mainly because I finally took the plunge and am making the switch to Vibrams!

Yep, I got a pair of the Bikila, and have been running in them. They say that you pretty much have to start again at the ground floor, so I am doing short runs of 2-3 miles, though faster than I was expecting. They are a little strange at first, but rather comfortable. I still wouldn't wear them around the parks though - too many people use their strollers and wheelchairs for crowd control/icebreakers, and I happen to like having some extra protection for my toes! :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter