The SUPER GOOFS are gearing up for the fall racing season in SEPTEMBER!

suzannews

DIS Veteran
Team listing:

suzannews-Suzanne 18
airtime247-Steve 3123
cindylou-Cindy 1312
cotillard-Genny
disaholic's-Jeanne 1199
disneymomma09-Ashleigh 1107
froggygrrrl-Nicky 1178
groovygirls-Joanne 1328
hockeygirl-Laurie
jeanigor-Todd 1197
jmasgat-Maura 1179
ksoehrlein-Kim 465
lenshanem-Shan 472
mla1977-Megan
momhmmx2-Bettina
Mrs D-Dawn
pungodingy-Angie 1395
roselark-Jeanette 1320
SAHDad-Rich 1125
sk8ingmom-M 862
skinsfan76-Jason 1014
stenogoddess-Lauren 301
tutter99-Randy

166.4 miles for the month.

This should be my highest month with my training plan. I feel great and think I have the right base for my first marathon. With the heat breaking and getting some cool mornings, I'm enjoying being outside again.

I signed up for two races yesterday. A 1/2 marathon in cleveland in a couple of weeks that a bunch of people from work are running. It is all in a park and has a down hill profile for most of the race so it is a nice course to run. I also finally committed to the Columbus marathon in October. A few other folks are running the half and tell me it is a great atmospher for a run. I'm pretty excited. Now I just have to manage not to get hurt, and not ruin my training while at Disney in a few weeks.

90.63 for me for August

Lots of races coming up, next one is called "Run your buns off", sponsored by a bakery and at the end you get a sticky bun...it's a 4.2 mile race, 'cause the buns have 420 calories. Should be fun, as long as Earl doesn't cause too much havoc!

Sorry I don't post as much as others, but I read faithfully, just never seem to have much say??

Quick check in, fellow Goofs.

80.67 for me for August. A Disney trip and switching to Vibrams pretty much killed my mileage. I am back to a 5k or so every other day, and then 2 to 2.5 miles on the "rest" days. I hope to be back to 4-5 miles as a daily run by the end of the month, but I am going to be increasing mileage slowly, especially since I am still getting used to the whole minimalist shoe running routine.

151.2 miles for me in August.

The numbers don't really reflect it, but I feel like I have been slacking over the last month. Some of it was out of my control (nagging hip injury, dad had open heart surgery), but the rest I can chalk up to laziness. I've definitely been slacking on my strength training lately. Hopefully I can get back into gear for these last 4 weeks before the Wine & Dine 1/2.

I can't believe there are only 4 weeks to go! My long runs have been going pretty well lately. Next week I will be in double digit territory with my first 10 miler. I'm actually looking forward to it! Now all I need is for the weather to cooperate.

Have a great Labor Day weekend, Goofs!

~Nicky

Hello Goofs! Hope everyone is having a nice holiday weekend.

Suzanne, I posted my August hours back in the August thread.

Wrapped up week 12 of my program yesterday. Put in 21 miles this past week. Next weekend I'll have a 12 miler on tap.

Good luck to those running the Disneyland Half tomorrow! Go WISH! Go Goofs!

:cheer2::woohoo::cheer2:

Happy September and back to school for all us NEasterner's.

My mileage for August was 155. September I should be backing off getting ready for my October 3rd marathon. My first. I'm a bit nervous and honestly will be glad to be done with it.

My longest run so far has been a 21 miler. I have one more to do next weekend then the taper begins. These long runs have been difficult. Getting old sucks, my whole body just hurts at the end of them. I feel stronger and think I can complete 26.2 but who knows. The heat here in the NE has finally broken and it's nice to run in the cool weather.

I ran a 1/2 marathon a couple of weeks ago called the Catherine Valley Half. It was mostly on a flat trail through the woods, which I thought was going to be nice. The trail was nice to run on - soft on the legs/feet. However the entire race it rained. No not rained, torrential downpour. :confused: The first 5 miles were ok, but after that it was put your head down (because you couldn't see if it was up for the water running in your eyes) and just trudge through the creeks of water on the trail, and keep wishing it would let up. It didn't, in fact then it got windy.
Well it was an adventure that's for sure. My time was a 2:07, exactly the same time as my half marathon last fall. I was a little PO'd about that since I really felt like I was in better shape this year. But given the weather, I guess that's the best I could do.

Hope everyone has a great September and is looking forward to their fall races. Also hope anyone who ran in the Disneyland race had a great time! :cool1:

I'm so jealous, one of these days I'll get to do a Disney run of one kind or another!!

Jeanne

Hi Goofs! I had 55 miles for August. As others have said, it has cooled off a bit here in the north. Yesterday was the perfect weather for a run...it was about 60 and no humidity, which means I could breathe!

I am looking for some 5Ks to do this month, but they all seem to be on Saturdays and I teach dance on Saturdays, so I don't think I am going to find much!

Hi all,

Back from the DL half. I posted a report on the Race thread. Short version: Good race, good weather, pretty good course, great medals. Unfortunately didn't get to meet up with WISHers. But overal, a pretty good time. Although (and forgive me DL lovers) I have to say I prefer WDW to DL. Just the whole feeling of being secluded in your own Disney space.

My August miles were 270.1 Helped along with the 60-mile bike ride we did early in the month.

Finally signed up to do the Detroit Free Press Marathon. So here's hoping that we all have great September training/races!

Angie You always seem to do the most interesting/fun races! Let us know how the sticky bus are.

Rich So is the minimalist running working for you? There was one guy in the corral next to me that ran the DL 1/2 in them. I saw him again around mile 12, so he was getting it done!

Nicky Anyone who puts in that kind of mileage is not slacking, but I sort of know how you feel. I totally dropped my tri XT, and feel like I should be doing more.

Jeanne That's a great result for the half consideirng the weather. Heck, that''s a great result for a hlaf regardless! You'll make it through the marathon. For my first (and only so far) marathon, I had pretty crappy LR of 18 and 20. I even took time off before the race. But I made it through (i admit it did take a toll on me!).

Ashleigh Hope you find a race that fits your busy schedule.

Maura

Hi all,

Back from the DL half. I posted a report on the Race thread. Short version: Good race, good weather, pretty good course, great medals. Unfortunately didn't get to meet up with WISHers. But overal, a pretty good time. Although (and forgive me DL lovers) I have to say I prefer WDW to DL. Just the whole feeling of being secluded in your own Disney space.

My August miles were 270.1 Helped along with the 60-mile bike ride we did early in the month.

Finally signed up to do the Detroit Free Press Marathon. So here's hoping that we all have great September training/races!

Rich So is the minimalist running working for you? There was one guy in the corral next to me that ran the DL 1/2 in them. I saw him again around mile 12, so he was getting it done!

Woohoo! Way to rack in the miles there! Too bad you couldn't meet any WISHers, but that's the way it goes sometimes.

The minimalist thing is working fairly well, although it's kind of frustrating. Right now, I am on the injured list (not too bad - bad enough that I should take a couple days off completely, but not bad enough that I have seriously contemplated breaking the streak) - I went out for a 3-4 mile run (which ended at a bit more than 4), and landed badly and messed up my ankle some. Probably would not have happened with normal shoes, but it also probably would not have happened if the road on which I was running had a decent shoulder. Anyway, the hard part is that I am suffering minor injuries and muscle soreness that I haven't since I came back to running a couple of years ago. It's because I am, in many ways, starting again from scratch, but it's hard to remind the legs that they shouldn't be trying to bust out a sub-20 5k until I have had the chance to learn how to run again.

tried to post pics, they are not working...will try again when my son is home, he can usually make it work...not sure why I cant????

Just gpt back from WDW. Not as exciting as Maura's visit to DL, though.

August is 102.5. Three weeks and a couple days until my first half.

Hello Goofs!! Sorry I haven't updated the first post yet, my days are just flying by but I promise to get to it in the next day or so. Anyone who hasn't done so yet, please post your mileage for August!

Finally got outside for 8 miles yesterday and I am hurting today but in a good way! My time was not great but it was all walking and I walked straight through. Best part was my Garmin said I burned 858 calories!! I am signing up for a 15K on the 25th as my long run before the Wine and Dine 1/2 the next weekend.

I entered a contest to win a trip to Kona, Hawaii to run in a race where you have to run in your underwear!! Its a year away so if by the grace of God I do win, I will have time to eat nothing but air and water so I don't make a fool of myself.

Sounds like everyone has a race or two coming up... keep up the great work! Angie, we'd love to hear about your sticky bun race, thats great incentive to get to the finish line!

Hope to see some of you at Wine and Dine weekend!!!

Hi Super Goofs! ~Thanks to Maura for including me in this group!

I have been on the DISboards for several years and never clicked on the W.I.S.H. section..I thought it was for Wish kids and their families and it didn't apply to me:confused3...Then I followed a thread about the Wine and Dine Half and finally read the fine print!!!Boy did I feel silly:rolleyes1:rolleyes1

Anyways! I had my aha moment back in April when my friend called to see if I would run a half marathon relay with her. I laughed:laughing:. I was so out of shape and overweight. I had just had ankle surgery in December and thought there was no way with my body in as poor shape as it was could I ever run a race!

Well then she told me the race was at Disney. And well, that is all it took! I was in!:banana: I spent the first 1.5 months just losing weight. Then started walking. I got the C210k program and did the first 3 weeks for about 6 weeks straight because I had no stamina to do anything else.:rolleyes: I started cross-training with a spin class which I LOVE!:love:

Well now I am down 45pounds:woohoo: and went from a 20minute mile to more of a 15minute walk/run!:yay: I'm running my first race ever in just a couple of weeks at the Wine and Dine! I am running the first half and so excited and nervous at the same time.

I can't say I love running. I don't like it much at all actually :sad2: But I like how I feel after! And I'm already making plans for myself and the rest of the family to do the 5k during the marathon weekend in January.

Anyways! Thanks for listening to my ramblings...

~Bettina

Bettina - congratulations and welcome! It is amazing how much of a motivator Disney can be. Good luck on your run at the W/D. Don't forget to have fun and enjoy every minute of it. I think it's great to get the whole family involved too.

Did the Cleveland River Run Half today and got a PR (1:31). Great morning to run. 60 degrees, overcast, and a little wind. The run is really nice because the entire thing is in a park and it just winds back and forth through the trees for the most part. It's also really flat with only a couple of hills. Easy to get a PR with conditions like that.

Bettina It's always great to see another story about someone finding walking/running/Disney! Good luck at Wine & Dine.

Jason Fantastic PR! You have got to be happy (and if not....What's wrong with you!)

Did another 20 miles today--#4 of the 5 scheduled. Ran fairly well--faster than I should have (honest, officer, I didn't think I was doing THAT!). But felt pretty decent when I finished. The weather cooling off has obviously had a good effect. 5 weeks to go to the Free Press Marathon. I am cautiously optimistic.

Maura

Swinging by... The girls have got me going nonstop now that September is here - too many activities! :eek:

Sounds like the Goofs are rockin! :cool1:

Ran 12 miles yesterday. Two minutes slower per mile than when I ran the WDW Half in 2009! :scared1: Just gotta double the distance by January and stay ahead of the sweepers, right? popcorn::

Moving forward... :grouphug:

I still have to brush the cobwebs off my running log and report my August miles, but it looks like the rest of you Goofs are going strong. Life has gotten in the way of my runs lately: my brother has been in critical condition since Sept. 1 due to a sudden illness, so I spent some (unplanned) time visiting family in my home state of NJ. Then I had a (planned) 3-night voyage aboard the Wonder. At least I managed to do the Castaway Cay 5K and achieved a course PR while I was there. I NEED to run tonight, so I'm telling all of you now so I can be held accountable. Wine and Dine is looming, and it was going to be the race where I finally break 2:30. Now all bets are off, but I hope I can get my rear back in gear.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter