The Summer of Disney - Two trips in two months! June & July, 2010

just found your report.. your title caught my eye:goodvibes
Congrats on your new addition:cool1:

Thanks! Glad to have you!

Hello, joining in! Congrats on Smudge, that's adorable! :cool1:

Thanks! :goodvibes

Congratulations! Smudge. :lmao: Fantastic news!! :)

Thanks! :cloud9:

My middle name is Michelle and DH is John!!!:rotfl2:

That's hilarious!

Ok, yes, I'm caught up!!!!:thumbsup2
The weather would be much better on the March trip vs. summer trip!

That's what I'm thinking, too... last week had some pretty miserable days, and I'm not sure we would've been able to do much with a small infant in tow...

Congratulations on Smudge! I can't wait to read your trip report!

Terri

Thanks! The report should get started in the next day or two, assuming my energy level stays OK... ;)

Jumping in! HUGE Congrats on the new addition!!! :love:

Thanks! Glad to have you reading along!

I'm in. Congrats on the coming of the wee one.

Thanks, and welcome!

How wonderful--a Baby:goodvibes
Looking forward to reading your report.
Congratulations on the extra cast member who hitched a
free ride. :thumbsup2

Thanks for joining in, and for the congrats. :goodvibes

GRRRR. :headache: I had planned to write my first real update today when I got home from my professional development workshop. However, right now I'm so angry I can't see straight, so I don't think I'll be able to write coherently about our first Disney day. You see, when I left the house this morning, I had nearly $100 in cash in my keychain wallet - I intended to stop at the bank on the way home this afternoon to deposit the money. At some point today, during one of our short breaks, I left the meeting room without my belongings to run to the restroom and get some water. In one of those brief times that my belongings were unattended (by me), all but $1 of the cash was stolen... in all likelihood, by another teacher who is registered for the workshop I'm attending (either in my session, or the one next door). The classes are being held on a college campus, but there are no students right now - the only people using the building are attending the workshop. Now, thankfully, I wasn't counting on that money in our budget for the month, but it sure would have been nice to have, since we don't get paid for another week (we get paid once a month) and we're a bit low on funds right now.

I'm just so angry, both at myself for leaving my stuff unattended, and at whoever took the money - someone who has most likely passed a background check and is teaching ADVANCED PLACEMENT CLASSES in an area high school. :headache: :headache: :headache: :headache:

So sorry to hear about what happened, you just can not trust anyone these days, while I was working years ago we had to leave our handbags at the SD and people started noticeing money and credit cards come up missing. I guess you can be thankfull it was not more cash or money you needed for a specific purpose. :hug:

So sorry to hear about what happened, you just can not trust anyone these days, while I was working years ago we had to leave our handbags at the SD and people started noticeing money and credit cards come up missing. I guess you can be thankfull it was not more cash or money you needed for a specific purpose. :hug:

I'm also really thankful they didn't take my debit card or credit card. The only thing missing was the cash...

GRRRR. :headache: I had planned to write my first real update today when I got home from my professional development workshop. However, right now I'm so angry I can't see straight, so I don't think I'll be able to write coherently about our first Disney day. You see, when I left the house this morning, I had nearly $100 in cash in my keychain wallet - I intended to stop at the bank on the way home this afternoon to deposit the money. At some point today, during one of our short breaks, I left the meeting room without my belongings to run to the restroom and get some water. In one of those brief times that my belongings were unattended (by me), all but $1 of the cash was stolen... in all likelihood, by another teacher who is registered for the workshop I'm attending (either in my session, or the one next door). The classes are being held on a college campus, but there are no students right now - the only people using the building are attending the workshop. Now, thankfully, I wasn't counting on that money in our budget for the month, but it sure would have been nice to have, since we don't get paid for another week (we get paid once a month) and we're a bit low on funds right now.

I'm just so angry, both at myself for leaving my stuff unattended, and at whoever took the money - someone who has most likely passed a background check and is teaching ADVANCED PLACEMENT CLASSES in an area high school. :headache: :headache: :headache: :headache:

That's just wrong!!!! People are nervy!

That's just wrong!!!! People are nervy!

I know. :sad2: It makes me sad to think of the future, if the morals of people teaching today are so low...

Oh my goodness, that's horrible. Its sad to think someone would stoop that low. :headache:

I couldn't believe it! I know it's my fault for leaving the money unattended, but I wasn't out of the room that long, and my wallet was in the bottom of an inner pocket in my bag - whoever took it had to have really looked for it.

------------------------------------------------------

Oh well... I'm feeling better about it now. I'm going to start organizing all the pictures, and I hope to have day 1 started later today or tomorrow at the latest! :banana:

GRRRR. :headache: I had planned to write my first real update today when I got home from my professional development workshop. However, right now I'm so angry I can't see straight, so I don't think I'll be able to write coherently about our first Disney day. You see, when I left the house this morning, I had nearly $100 in cash in my keychain wallet - I intended to stop at the bank on the way home this afternoon to deposit the money. At some point today, during one of our short breaks, I left the meeting room without my belongings to run to the restroom and get some water. In one of those brief times that my belongings were unattended (by me), all but $1 of the cash was stolen.

I am sorry this happened to you. Try to see the good amidst the bad, though - they didn't take your cards, you didn't have hundreds (plural), and you have now learned to keep your belongings on you in the future when you step out. I know it is aggravating and maddening, but I always try to think of a worse case scenario to help me deal with troubling things, and then I feel better.

I know you'll find happiness in going through your Disney pictures, and you'll bring happiness to a lot of your DIS friends, too. :)

Chapter 1: Away we go!

After finishing up our last week of school, and then proctoring the SAT on Saturday morning, the alarm seemed to ring awfully early on Sunday, June 6. It was around 3:45am, I believe, when the alarm clock started ringing. We only snoozed once - we were going to Disney, after all! After getting ready for the day and throwing our carry-on luggage into the car, we were ready to head out to the airport. This is what the clock in the car said as we began the drive:
P6060004.jpg

We live about an hour from the airport, but the drive was easy - there aren't many cars out that early on a Sunday! We arrived at the airport parking lot, unloaded the car, and waited a few minutes for the shuttle to the terminal. Just a few minutes later, the shuttle arrived, and off we went. We used the self-service check-in, which takes no time at all, got our big suitcase checked, and then headed to security. The line was short, and soon we were walking towards the gate. It was around 6:20 at this point, and our flight was scheduled to leave at 7:00. I had hoped to grab breakfast at the airport, but as we approached our gate, we heard the announcement "Now boarding all groups, all rows on flight 2400 to Orlando." We ran to the plane, thinking we were late (and that the plane would be mostly full). Both thoughts were wrong! We would've had time to get breakfast.

I took a picture as we waited for take-off:
P6060008.jpg

The flight took off on time, and I took some pictures out the window of the airplane to pass the time:
P6060009.jpg

P6060010.jpg

The flight from Dallas to Orlando is pretty short, only 2 hours, so it wasn't long before we landed. We were even a bit ahead of schedule! We hopped on the mini-monorail, and soon saw this:
P6060013.jpg

Can you believe it, no lines!

We were headed into this line:
P6060017.jpg

Oh look, I found all the people:
P6060015.jpg

We didn't wait long, then boarded our Magical Express shuttle to the resort. Our bus was making four stops - the Polynesian, Grand Floridian, Wilderness Lodge (our stop!), and then the Contemporary. We enjoyed the video, even though we've seen it many, many times, and before long we arrived at Wilderness Lodge.

DH waited for our carry-ons from under the bus, while I headed inside to check in. I managed to beat the crowd of people from our bus, and a CM was able to assist me almost immediately. To my surprise, our villa was ready, so after gathering our paperwork, we headed to the villa to drop off our carry-ons. It was noon by now, and we were STARVING because we hadn't eaten anything all day.

On our way to the villa:
P6060035.jpg

P6060036.jpg

P6060034.jpg

P6060032.jpg

P6060030.jpg

P6060027.jpg

Our villa was the absolute farthest room possible from the elevator, all the way at the end of the world's longest hallway. It seemed to take forever on check-in day to get there! Upon arrival, I took some villa photos before we made too much of a mess...
P6060018.jpg

P6060020.jpg

P6060019.jpg

P6060022.jpg

P6060023.jpg

P6060021.jpg

Our view left much to be desired, though... good thing we don't spend much time in the room or on the balcony!

To the far right:
P6060025.jpg

Straight ahead:
P6060026.jpg

Can you see the trash dumpsters???

After checking out the room, I grabbed the camera bag and we headed out for lunch at Roaring Forks. I took some pics as we walked through the main lobby of the resort:
P6060038.jpg

P6060039.jpg

P6060041.jpg

Once arriving at Roaring Forks, we decided to share a sandwich - we often find that the CS portion sizes are more than big enough for us to share. We decided on the turkey & dill havarti sandwich, which came with some sort of pasta salad as well.
P6060043.jpg

It was tasty, but as hungry as we were, it really wasn't quite big enough to share. We felt fairly satisfied, though, and decided it was time to head out to a Disney park.

Which one did we pick?

Awesome pictures!!! Getting to the resort and giving a big sigh of "we are here!!" is the most important part, isn't it? :goodvibes

Great idea on the splitting the CS meal -- can't wait for the park!

I couldn't believe it! I know it's my fault for leaving the money unattended, but I wasn't out of the room that long, and my wallet was in the bottom of an inner pocket in my bag - whoever took it had to have really looked for it.

:eek:Oh goodness, that makes it even worse because they basically had to dig for it. At least, they didn't take anything else.

Even though your room was far away from the elevators, it was a pretty room. The sandwich looked yummy.

Wonderful start! Love the shots from the plane. The sky was so blue. Thanks for the pictures of the villas. I've never been there so I love to see the new pictures.

Can't wait to see where you went first.

Guess who forgot to subscribe?

Well after reading about the dirty rotten scoundrel that took your money today, those pictures certainly did calm me down a bit.
Thank you!

I'm hungry and that sandwich looks soooo good. Dill havarti huh? Sounds good!
Can't wait to see where you went. I don't remember if you said, so I'm going with the boat to MK!

That makes my blood boil that you can't leave your belongings for 2 minutes without some idiot stealing something!!! It's disgusting:headache:

Great travel day pictures!! I love pictures of leaving the house, airport, plane....I honestly believe getting there is half the fun.

Completely enjoying this TRpopcorn::

Awesome pictures!!! Getting to the resort and giving a big sigh of "we are here!!" is the most important part, isn't it? :goodvibes

Great idea on the splitting the CS meal -- can't wait for the park!

We figured out in March that we could split the CS meals and be fine... which is a big part of the reason we don't do the dining plan anymore!

:eek:Oh goodness, that makes it even worse because they basically had to dig for it. At least, they didn't take anything else.

Even though your room was far away from the elevators, it was a pretty room. The sandwich looked yummy.

We loved the villa at WL! Our only complaint is that all the dark wood makes the room feel very dark, although after being in the room for a while, we'd adjust and it would seem fine. WL is currently our favorite DVC resort, based on the room alone.... BCV still wins for resort amenities.

Wonderful start! Love the shots from the plane. The sky was so blue. Thanks for the pictures of the villas. I've never been there so I love to see the new pictures.

Can't wait to see where you went first.

Thanks! I should have the rest of day one up in the next day or two... I hope...

Guess who forgot to subscribe?

Well after reading about the dirty rotten scoundrel that took your money today, those pictures certainly did calm me down a bit.
Thank you!

I'm hungry and that sandwich looks soooo good. Dill havarti huh? Sounds good!
Can't wait to see where you went. I don't remember if you said, so I'm going with the boat to MK!

I was wondering where you were! :rotfl:

Dill havarti just might be my favorite cheese, but it's hard to find around here. The sandwich was good, but not well balanced - too much turkey, not enough cheese. :)

You'll find out soon if you're right... :rolleyes1

That makes my blood boil that you can't leave your belongings for 2 minutes without some idiot stealing something!!! It's disgusting:headache:

Great travel day pictures!! I love pictures of leaving the house, airport, plane....I honestly believe getting there is half the fun.

Completely enjoying this TRpopcorn::

I know, it's so frustrating! Thanks for the compliment on the travel day pics - I don't usually start taking pictures until we actually get to WDW, but for some reason, I decided I needed travel pictures this time. I'm glad you like them.

How horrible that someone went into your wallet and stole your money. I wouldn't have thought twice about leaving it at a workshop like that. I guess you really can't be too careful these days, but it's just so sad that it's that way.

I loved the update! That sandwich looked very yummy!

Terri

A quick, non-TR update...

We had our 2nd doctor's appointment today, and things are looking great! We had another sonogram, and the baby is still measuring a bit ahead, and has a strong heartbeat. We could see it moving it's little arms and legs all over the place. :goodvibes I'm going to scan in the photo from today to email to MIL, I'll post it here as well. I'm hoping to get the next TR installment up soon, but we're frantically cleaning out our house for a BIG yard sale this weekend at my parents' house, so it might be Sunday before I have time.

A quick, non-TR update...

We had our 2nd doctor's appointment today, and things are looking great! We had another sonogram, and the baby is still measuring a bit ahead, and has a strong heartbeat. We could see it moving it's little arms and legs all over the place. :goodvibes I'm going to scan in the photo from today to email to MIL, I'll post it here as well. I'm hoping to get the next TR installment up soon, but we're frantically cleaning out our house for a BIG yard sale this weekend at my parents' house, so it might be Sunday before I have time.

I can't wait to see Smudge:goodvibes. Glad to hear Smudge is healthy and moving around.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter