The Stroller Debate

Katie L

Mouseketeer
My DD will be almost 1 and my son will be 2.75 years. Do I do a double? I read someone discourage that. Do I do 2 singles? If 2 singles, both umbrella? One umbrella, one bigger for the storage underneath? I'm fairly tall (5'11") and never pushed an umbrella stroller for hours. I also babywear, and likely my daughter will be on my or my husband's back for a significant portion of the trip, so actually considering maybe just one stroller...

I would do a double, no question. I'm an avid baby wearer, but it was still nice to have a break from wearing them sometimes, and to let them grab a comfy nap in the stroller. I don't even own an umbrella stroller, I find them so uncomfortable and useless, but I know many others feel differently. Having two separate strollers doesn't appeal to me, and it would make it to hard for one parent to run a quick errand - grab food, a souvenir, or whatnot - as the parent with two strollers would basically have to stay stationary. We've made several trips with two littles, and always take our double stroller as well as multiple carriers, and I can't think of anything I would change about that. Good luck!

Double stroller.
You don't want 2 strollers in case for some reason only one of you is with them at one point.
At just under 3 you're definitely still gonna want somewhere for the child to be that is not being held by one of you.

Unquestionably, do a double. We tried two singles once, with our twins. And I mean once...literally the moment we left the park that day, we trashed the singles and went to Wal-Mart to buy a double. Two singles are just a pain.

We never wore our children, at WDW or anywhere else, so I can't speak to that part of it.

Double for sure. There are lots of companies that will rent you a nice one for about $100 a week. When we went I actually found a used City Mini double on craigslist for $100 and bought that and brought it then sold it when we got home.

Another vote for the double. We have a Britax double that we took the year we drove, but didn't want to deal with it on the buses. A few years ago we found a double umbrella on craigslist. Well worth the $25 as this will be our 4th trip with it!

What we did (mine were 10 months 4.5 when we went)--- we brought a single from home for the airport and rented a double city mini GT-- great stroller. I also baby wear some, but it was hot and he was uncomfortable and so was I so he spent most of the time in the stroller- the older one walked a lot, but it was nice that he could hop in the stroller when he wanted (or I could keep him contained when I wanted). The City Mini GT has a huge canopy and an adjustable handle bar- plus we had a parent console to keep drinks in. Plus the stroller fold flat fairly easily- if you have to use the busses at all, that will make it easier.

Im pretty sure all the rentals are side by side- usually Citi Minis.

When our kids were younger, we did a tandem and it seemed to work better in crowds and stores for us. The side-by-side takes up a lot of lateral space and sometimes you need to be able to streamline through tight spaces.
I could totally see that...I'm just thinking ease of getting them in and out. Those tandem ones always look so awkward for the back kid. :)

I could totally see that...I'm just thinking ease of getting them in and out. Those tandem ones always look so awkward for the back kid. :)

We use to put the tired kid in the back. Never had an issue. Ours was tiered so both could take in what was going on around them.

Mom of 5, when #3 was born I gave away my tandem and bought a good umbrella sbs and a jogger - so hard to push those tandems, and my kids were about the same size. The only tandem I ever pushed after that was when my twins were born, and a friend gave me her triple stroller (#3 wasn't quite 2 when they were born). Hated it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter