The Splash Mountain drop

ilovemcbride

Mouseketeer
How bad is the big drop on Splash Mountain? Does your heart feel like it has dropped down to your stomach? I'm not exactly a chicken, but I want to know what I'm getting myself into before I do it!

Rule #1. Look at the other people in line. Pick a few out and say to yourself, "If they can do it, I can do it".
The drop really is not to bad. Because it is a water flume, it really doesn't go that fast. Also, you are so distracted by the ride you really don't feel it. My mom went on it several times and she does not do rides, but absolutely loves Song of the South. She loves it.

It's my favorite ride ;) and chances are the first time that you ride it you will be nervous and distracted by the wait for the big drop. there are quite a few smaller drops in between that can help to prepare you. The big drop can give you that heart in the stomach feeling but it is only for a second and after you ride it one time you will know what to expect and actually be able to enjoy the ride :flower:

My 75-year-old mom loves it! You probably will not enjoy your first ride because yo :goodvibes u'll be nervous....but get that one over with and ride it again! It is such a cute attraction and I promise you'll love every ride thereafter!

beccasmom said:
My 75-year-old mom loves it! You probably will not enjoy your first ride because yo :goodvibes u'll be nervous....but get that one over with and ride it again! It is such a cute attraction and I promise you'll love every ride thereafter!

This is the one "thrill" ride that my 73-year-old grandmother actually goes on. She loves it for the story and is more than able to "deal" with the drop at the end.

RyMickey

I've not rode this yet because I hate the thought of the drop and TOT did me in. But I'm thinking I survived TOT so surely I can do this one. MY DH and DD rode Splash over and over so I'm going to work up the nerve to ride it this trip!

ktink said:
I've not rode this yet because I hate the thought of the drop and TOT did me in. But I'm thinking I survived TOT so surely I can do this one. MY DH and DD rode Splash over and over so I'm going to work up the nerve to ride it this trip!

I'm too chicken to ride tot but I have rode sm many times. I won't lie it's a little scary and when I see my picture at the end....my eyes are always closed and my mouth is wide open. I tell myself each time to keep my eyes open but I just can't.

I agree with the prior poster...which is what I do, I look for children riding a ride. I think to myself...if they can do it, so can I.lol

Splash Mountain is not bad at all! I am NOT a "drop person" but I like Splash Mountain. I have chickened out on ToT recently, but I have ridden it before. Splash Mountain works you up to the biggest drop with smaller drops beforehand. Just don't think about it too much and you'll do fine. YOU CAN DO IT! :cheer2:

I usually do not go on rides with big drops, that being said...I have gone on Splash Mountain a couple of times....but with much reluctance. I am always so nervous about going on that I do not enjoy the ride....I just keep thinking about the drop at the end. DH and I rode SM last month and after the big drop at the end I though..."That's not so bad." It was really over so fast...I tell myself that I will not get so worked up next time .....but we'll see about that. I do lose my stomach each time I go on though.

I am not so much of a thrill ride person, but my family drags me on this everytime. I read on the disboards this hint: to put your chin down on your chest (keep it down) right before the big drop (plus I held on for dear life :earseek:).

I tried this last time and I did not feel like I just made a big drop.

Have fun!

I feel that this is not such a bad drop and it is over before you know it. But, keep in mind that, according to the new Disney Vacation Planning video, this is a 5 story drop. In all honesty, it does not feel like that big of a drop. HTH

I was afraid of this ride for years.
I finally got talked into trying it (by my co-workers). It was sort of a "Face my fears" challenge.
It was actually fun, but one does feel that drop feeling (where it seems like the insides are not moving as fast as the outsides, and the stomach has to drop to get back into place).

Go early (about when the park first opens). The less time to chicken out the better.

Once I can do Splash, without a look of terror, and without gripping the handle in terror, then I will be ready to face my next challenge; Tower of Terror.

- Eileen

It's really not that bad and it's over before you know it. I am NOT a fan of rollercoasters (I won't go on RnR), but Splash Mountain is my favorite ride.

Try it. It's really not bad.

No way I think I could happily do TOT... but I've done splash. I was nervous, shakking in my boots. and the drop wasnt that bad at all. I say if you think you might be able to do it.. Do it! You then can say you have roden it! (and i agree the inside story is totally worth it.

I think I heard somewhere that the drop is only 45 degrees, not nearly as steep as it looks.
Robin

My mom always hated drop rides, but rode Splash and ToT anyway because she enjoyed the story lines. The day she had her gall bladder removed, as soon as she was discharged from the hospital we headed straight to WDW (can you tell we're addicts LOL). She loves roller coasters but opted to skip them that day (naturally). But she went on Splash... said it didn't bother her at all, and this was literally 6 hours post-op. So you should be fine, the drop really does look a lot worse than it is. Like others have said, there are several smaller drops to prepare you, and the big drop is just fun, not anything like the ToT drops. Have fun!!

The drop is 5 stories high and not that bad. It lasts about 5 seconds. I would say the fastest it goes is around 35-40 MPH at the very end and it quickly slows down with the water.

I actually think the feeling in your stomach is less intense when you put your hands in the air. You may want to do that.

FigmentGuy said:
No way I think I could happily do TOT... but I've done splash. I was nervous, shakking in my boots. and the drop wasnt that bad at all. I say if you think you might be able to do it.. Do it! You then can say you have roden it! (and i agree the inside story is totally worth it.
I've never actually had a chance to ride SM but I've been on rides with similar drops. The anticipation is much worse than the actual drop itself. Come on you can do it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter