The sinus infection that just won't die!

Dizneefamily+4

Wish I could live in Cinderella's Castle!
Ds14 has had a sinus infection since late November. First it was amoxycillin. After the 10 day course, he was better for about a week, then had all the symptoms start right back up. Next came Augmentin (and a probiotic because Augmentin is so hard on your stomach.) After the 10 day course, same thing - good for about a week, then bam! Back again. Back to the pediatrician today. They're trying a similar med to Augmentin for a 2 week course. If it comes back again, he'll be referred to an ENT. The poor kid is miserable! He's a runner and trying to do winter training, but this is really knocking him on his butt. Here's hoping this latest round works!

Ds14 has had a sinus infection since late November. First it was amoxycillin. After the 10 day course, he was better for about a week, then had all the symptoms start right back up. Next came Augmentin (and a probiotic because Augmentin is so hard on your stomach.) After the 10 day course, same thing - good for about a week, then bam! Back again. Back to the pediatrician today. They're trying a similar med to Augmentin for a 2 week course. If it comes back again, he'll be referred to an ENT. The poor kid is miserable! He's a runner and trying to do winter training, but this is really knocking him on his butt. Here's hoping this latest round works!
Ds17 used to get them all of the time. When he was 11, took him to the ENT, had his adenoids out, and hasn't had one ever since.

Ds17 used to get them all of the time. When he was 11, took him to the ENT, had his adenoids out, and hasn't had one ever since.

Good to know - might be the next course of action. He's been getting them more frequently the last couple of years - but they usually clear up with one round of meds!

Sinus infections are notoriously difficult to treat with antibiotics. I wouldn't even consider the amoxicillin as a treatment. (Works great on some infections, just not very good on sinusitis). I'm sorry the Augmentin failed though. Did the probiotics help? My kids took that a few times when they were little and had terrible intestinal side effects.

I hope he's doing better soon!

As someone who's been through a few tough infections, may I just suggest that you keep VERY detailed notes on each and every antibiotic your boy takes? Mark down the name of the med, dosage, length of treatment, and any side effects experienced - even mild ones. It's incredibly helpful to be able to sit there in the doctor's office with your history in a notebook, saying, "This one appeared to work, when I took it three years ago, so would it be possible to try something in the same family as that?" Or to be able to say, later, "We've already tried something in the penicillin family. Can we get a different kind of antibiotic this time?"

Good luck!

Skip the pediatrician and go straight to the ENT. There is probably an underlying issue that the ENT will need to diagnose and treat so that your child can get rid of the sinus infections for good.

I had the same issue with constant sinus infections and ended up having surgery to fix the issue. Not another sinus infection in over 3 years.

My oldest DS has the same issues. After multiple rounds of antibiotics prescribed by the ENT, he is at the point where the ENT will have to do something else. Just waiting on college to be out for the summer to get his issues handled!

As someone who's been through a few tough infections, may I just suggest that you keep VERY detailed notes on each and every antibiotic your boy takes? Mark down the name of the med, dosage, length of treatment, and any side effects experienced - even mild ones. It's incredibly helpful to be able to sit there in the doctor's office with your history in a notebook, saying, "This one appeared to work, when I took it three years ago, so would it be possible to try something in the same family as that?" Or to be able to say, later, "We've already tried something in the penicillin family. Can we get a different kind of antibiotic this time?"

Good luck!

That can be helpful in treating the same kind of infection. But different antibiotics work better for different types of infections, depending on their pathogen coverage. Amoxicillin for example, still works great on strep, but I would definitely want to start with something different for a sinus or ear infection (maybe a cephalosporin).

That can be helpful in treating the same kind of infection. But different antibiotics work better for different types of infections, depending on their pathogen coverage. Amoxicillin for example, still works great on strep, but I would definitely want to start with something different for a sinus or ear infection (maybe a cephalosporin).

Absolutely, I was assuming it was the same kind of infection (it is with me). Even if it isn't, it's still helpful to know things like, "Amoxicillin gives me a rash." My mother-in-law doesn't always keep notes, and recently it was the pharmacist who noticed that the doctor had prescribed her an antibiotic she was allergic to, and she had to go back and ask for a different prescription. I'm glad the pharmacist caught that, before she took any of it! But if she'd kept notes, she could have saved herself a trip.

Go to the ENT and get a culture done. It's possible the infection is fungal and needs to be treated differently.

In 1999 I had a sinus infection for 6 months with rounds of different antibiotics. I'd get some improvement, but no absolute relief. I had surgery to clean out the sinuses and reduce the turbinates. It was day surgery with only mild discomfort. I'd heard how painful sinus surgery can be. I went to a head and neck surgeon not a an ENT.

Have not had one problem since (17 years). And have only had maybe 2-3 colds either during those 17 years.

Agree with several posters above. When DD had lingering sinus issues and multiple rounds of meds. we finally got in to see an ENT after about a 2 month wait for an appointment. She had adenoids removed and turbinates reduced and has been doing great. She also hates but is encouraged by moi to use a neti pot if she feels something coming on. Also got her tested for allergies and she gets seasonal ones which we treat with over the counter meds. Good luck.

you know what does the trick of finish them off, go the gym, and work out until your about to drop then work out longer, it will unclog your head for good

Neti pot and visit the ENT..... Neti pot though gross to some works with few side effects....im able to avoid antibiotics when I use it regularly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter