• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Sing Off (NBC) - Anyone else watching?

soccerdad72

DIS Veteran
This is one of the few singing competitions my wife and I religiously watch -- we were so excited when NBC had decided to bring it back this year after previously deciding to cancel it. :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

Anyone watch on Monday night? Any favorites so far? Any other thoughts?

I like Home Free (the country group) and the AcoUstiKats (the Univ of Kentucky group) so far, but wasn't totally blown away by anyone yet, but I figure it's early.

I also thought Jewel was ok as a judge, but I think she was trying too hard on the first night to sound like a music expert. I've always liked how the judges made constructive and technical comments, not just fluff and one-liners (a la American Idol), but sometimes it can get a little tedious to listen to.

So, anyone else an a capella fan? :thumbsup2

Yeek I have to check on demand! I didn't know it was back. I love that show. I was in two a capella groups during high school then during college.

I watched it, because my dd was watching it. The opening Fun medley was incredible, I bought it off Itunes! I really liked the first group, the high school kids and my dd and I both loved the old guys who sang One Direction, that was fantastic! The rest of them were just ok.
I can't stand Jewel, but she came off very intelligent, and she didn't drive me nuts LOL.

We really, really liked this show! I agree about Jewel. I mean, she is gorgeous and has some great pipes, but I am not sure she is judge material. Maybe she will fit in more as the season goes on.

I liked the group of older African-American guys. I thought they really had class.

But, as always, the further we get into the season, the better these shows get!

We really, really liked this show! I agree about Jewel. I mean, she is gorgeous and has some great pipes, but I am not sure she is judge material. Maybe she will fit in more as the season goes on.

I liked the group of older African-American guys. I thought they really had class.

:thumbsup2

I watched most of it and totally agree about Jewel. :laughing:

The old guys were my favorite, too! :worship:

I've been fairly impressed by all the groups so far, and I haven't been surprised by the groups that have gone home so far.

Ten- all of them have sets of pipes!

I'm so glad they brought this show back!! LOVE IT!! :thumbsup2

Yep, we watch this one too!

DD's choir started an a capella group this year and they are doing great and having a great time. All of them are glued to this show including the director!

Their director knows the man who started the U of K group and our choir has had the pleasure of singing with his direction a couple of times.

A Capella is so much fun to listen to.

You and me both. How the heck did they lose that sing-off thing?

No idea, I LOVED every second of both numbers! I told my dd, if they lose, you are watching solo, so I tossed her the remote and said, nope, no more.
Of course she watches it in my bedroom, so I guess I'll still have to listen LOL, but I won't pay attention.

On a side note, she is getting tickets to see Pentatonix in concert for Christmas. She wants to go soooooooooooooooo bad and I keep blowing her off LOL.

No idea, I LOVED every second of both numbers! I told my dd, if they lose, you are watching solo, so I tossed her the remote and said, nope, no more.
Of course she watches it in my bedroom, so I guess I'll still have to listen LOL, but I won't pay attention.

On a side note, she is getting tickets to see Pentatonix in concert for Christmas. She wants to go soooooooooooooooo bad and I keep blowing her off LOL.
What I don't get about them losing was that I thought they were better than the group Ten or whoever and the group they were in the sing off with.:confused3

I will continue to watch, but in protest.

What I don't get about them losing was that I thought they were better than the group Ten or whoever and the group they were in the sing off with.:confused3

I will continue to watch, but in protest.

It was Filharmonic, and I thought they were better, as did my dd, and she is a music student, so she hears things much more critically than I do.

I was a little surprised that Street Corner Renaissance went home, just because I thought that Sean was a big enough fan that he would have saved them for at least another week.

I've been pretty disappointed with the season so far. Maybe it's because last season there were three or four groups (like Pentatonix and Urban Method) that blew me away, but so far, while there's been some really good singing, no group has totally wow'ed me yet. :confused3

My girlfriend is a big fan of the show, so I have watched the most recent two episodes. As far as entertainment goes, I think it is fantastic. However, it seems a bit contrived to me.

In particular, the "sing-off" portion of the show has clearly been previously rehearsed by the two groups participating in it. They seemlessly flow back and forth (at just the right moments). Sometimes one group takes a few bars, sometimes just a word or two. There is simply no way that can be spontaneous.

So, then, they must clearly know in advance who will be the two groups participating in the sing-off. So, the "judging" of the performances cannot be done at the time of the performances that we see.

Does anyone have any insight into how the show functions?

My girlfriend is a big fan of the show, so I have watched the most recent two episodes. As far as entertainment goes, I think it is fantastic. However, it seems a bit contrived to me.

In particular, the "sing-off" portion of the show has clearly been previously rehearsed by the two groups participating in it. They seemlessly flow back and forth (at just the right moments). Sometimes one group takes a few bars, sometimes just a word or two. There is simply no way that can be spontaneous.

So, then, they must clearly know in advance who will be the two groups participating in the sing-off. So, the "judging" of the performances cannot be done at the time of the performances that we see.

Does anyone have any insight into how the show functions?

The Ultimate Sing-Off thing is new this year, but I would tend to agree, it does seem very rehearsed. They say that all teams were given the same song to work on "just in case", but you're right, the song flow between the two teams back and forth seems smoother than what you'd think it would be unless the two teams worked on it together.

I think they aren't really looking for the most talented, but the most marketable.

I think that the Filharmonic boys, Ten, and Home Free fit their bill. I like the two boys teams, I don't like Ten.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter