The Sheraton Vistana Resort Thread (key links on p.1)

Which leads me back to my standard caution about attending presentations. Know what you are getting into, and be sure it is worth your while. Although the discounts look pretty good, some of these tickets are available with similar discounts from Undercover Tourist without the requirement to waste the better part of a morning sitting through a pressure sales presentation. A couple of these options do appear to be good value, especially if you are buying for a group.

Just be sure that you are being adequately compensated for any time you spend listening to the sales pitch.

That's why I thought it would be handy to post the current offers....a friend of mine was sorely disappointed in early May when he attended the timeshare pitch for the "deeply discounted tickets" (he had a family of 6) only to find that some (most?) of the savings aren't that substantial. He did get the cash incentive and the light sabres for the kids, but I don't even think they ended up purchasing any of the discounted tickets at all.

I will note that the "owners update" was over in 90 minutes or less. Absolutely right on the promised time.

Neither one of these are included in the basic villa stock. We usually bring a pair of scissors unless we are going carry-on only. We also bring a good wine opener; there is one in the unit, but it is usually a pretty flimsy device.

I know Wyndham supplies crock pots in some of their properties that we have stayed at (although as often as not the crock part seems to be missing) :confused3 You might check with guest services to see if they have loaners available. In all likelihood if they have them it would be like the BBQ utensils; you sign them out from the Marketplace and return them when done.

Thanks so much for the quick answer. We will be there in October and we're getting down to the last minute stuff now!

That's why I thought it would be handy to post the current offers....a friend of mine was sorely disappointed in early May when he attended the timeshare pitch for the "deeply discounted tickets" (he had a family of 6) only to find that some (most?) of the savings aren't that substantial. He did get the cash incentive and the light sabres for the kids, but I don't even think they ended up purchasing any of the discounted tickets at all.

I will note that the "owners update" was over in 90 minutes or less. Absolutely right on the promised time.

Wow. That is great you posted that for people. It seems like a pretty weak enticement for a presentation. like Bankr63 said a lot of those discounts are available from undercover tourist.

Thanks for the scans of the activities, Gina! Exactly what I was looking for! Much appreciated :)

I thought of a question tonight. It just popped into my head. When you stay at Vistana what are you supposed to do when you check out of the unit? I know we won't have housekeeping with the rate we booked, so I was wondering do we need to strip the beds, take out the trash, run the dishwasher etc? I don't really know the rules for timeshare resorts and thought this would be the place to ask!:)

I thought of a question tonight. It just popped into my head. When you stay at Vistana what are you supposed to do when you check out of the unit? I know we won't have housekeeping with the rate we booked, so I was wondering do we need to strip the beds, take out the trash, run the dishwasher etc? I don't really know the rules for timeshare resorts and thought this would be the place to ask!:)

There are no specific rules left in the unit, or provided to you at check-in.

We don't do anything with the sheets on the bed. We just leave them on there.

We bag up all of our trash (and take it out throughout the week), but on check-out day, other than making sure all garbage is tossed into one of the garbage cans, we don't do anything else with it (we let the cleaning staff take it out when they do their full clean of the villa).

We also started the dishwasher before we checked out.

But we try to be courteous to the housekeepers no matter whether we stay in our timeshare or in a hotel, so most of those things we would do (or not do) regardless. I really am not aware of anything specific you need to do when checking out, except to vacate the unit no later than 10 am. :) .

What Gina said.

There are lots of TS with bizarre and cumbersome checkout routines. Not Vistana. They will do a full housekeeping after you leave. However, it is generally expected that you will leave the unit relatively tidy - do any dishes by hand and/or pop on the dishwasher as you leave; they will empty it. We always toss the kitchen garbage and recycling as we leave; don't want any unpleasant odors or visitors if they aren't cleaning right away (especially if leaving on a non-standard day).

If we have any unopened food items or beverages, we will often leave them behind. I've never checked, but I always hope that housekeeping staff can take these home. I know they won't fit in our overstuffed bags for the flight home.

The hardest part is deciding how much to leave as a tip. It's not really like you should be tipping for a whole week's worth of housekeeping (regular nightly amount); but these are much bigger units to clean than a hotel room too.

Thank you both. That sounds like what we would do anyway, and very reasonable. I do remember reading some places had very specific lists so I thought it would be best to check.
We too leave behind the unopened things on the off chance that someone can take them home.:)

How do you dispose of your rubbish throughout your trip? Are there large skips in each section of the resort, that you can empty it in to?

This will be my first visit to SVR end of Feb 2015 with a fri check in date for a 2 br. sleeps 8/6. I am going to be recovering from foot surgery. Is there a better building or floor to request. Don't want to be on top of the pool area due to noise. I am guessing that all building have elevators. Any info would be helpful. Thanks.

How do you dispose of your rubbish throughout your trip? Are there large skips in each section of the resort, that you can empty it in to?

Yes, there are large black garbage collection cans next to each building for trash disposal :thumbsup2 .

This will be my first visit to SVR end of Feb 2015 with a fri check in date for a 2 br. sleeps 8/6. I am going to be recovering from foot surgery. Is there a better building or floor to request. Don't want to be on top of the pool area due to noise. I am guessing that all building have elevators. Any info would be helpful. Thanks.

Only the Lakes and Cascades buildings have elevators. All other sections have stairs only to access the upper floors.

About two weeks before your arrival, I would send in your special requests (ground floor unit OR unit that can be accessed via an elevator due to physical limitations, quiet area away from the pools) via Diamond Lane check-in:

https://www.mystarcentral.com/services/diamond.jsp?propertyId=01

Requests are not guaranteed, per se, but in my experience they have worked hard to grant them as often as they can.

We have now stayed in two sections of the resort (Spas and Fountains), one on the north side and one on the south side. Loved them both. Its a beautiful, tranquil property so I think you would be happy with any section to which you are assigned :) .

Hi guys!

My mom is an owner at Vistana, but we haven't stayed there in a couple of years. This is our first time staying there with my 13 month old twins.

I know they offer "cribs" (I'm assuming they are actually pack & plays), but do they have high chairs there?

Thanks!
Denielle

We're back from our first trip at the SVR. I just wanted to thank you all for the info and work that's gone in to this thread. Not sure if I've mentioned it before but after booking I made the mistake of reading too many reviews on Tripadvisor and scared myself silly. This thread helped to get rid of that silliness :)

The only info I can add is that whilst we were there they weren't using the towel cards. There were just the carts of towels by the pools. I wonder if the cards are more useful for the busier times.

I emailed my Diamond Lane request 2 or 3 weeks before we headed out and received an email confirmation from Monica. I then received an email from Laura a week before we flew out asking if I had any requests and that they were offering 'VIP check-in' in the Cascades recreation centre. My requests were for a high floor, away from the highways and in a quiet location.

My booking was through hotels.com and was for a 2 bed (singles in the 2nd room) as this was all that was available without having to use the sofa bed. We were given a top floor room in building 8 of the Lakes section, room 1932. It had 2 double beds in the 2nd room, yay! Certainly wasn't expecting that but was so grateful.

We found the location of the resort to be fantastic - quite central for the places we were visiting.

Once again, thanks for all the info :)

We're back from our first trip at the SVR.

The only info I can add is that whilst we were there they weren't using the towel cards. There were just the carts of towels by the pools. I wonder if the cards are more useful for the busier times.

So glad you had a good time!! :thumbsup2 And welcome back :) .

I actually chatted a bit with Monica about the towel cards. She said that the cards were a test initiative and that they didn't expect they would be used in the slower periods due to less-than-favourable guest feedback. She did say that peak periods like Christmas, spring break, and summer would still likely employ the card system, though, so anyone travelling during those times of the year should still expect them.

When we checked in on the 17th of August, we were given cards and had to exchange them for towels. By the end of the stay, no more cards were needed (there were just large bins of towels left open and unattended at the Fountains pool, no card required for pickup or exchange).

Hi guys!

My mom is an owner at Vistana, but we haven't stayed there in a couple of years. This is our first time staying there with my 13 month old twins.

I know they offer "cribs" (I'm assuming they are actually pack & plays), but do they have high chairs there?

Thanks!
Denielle

Hi Denielle. I hate to see a question go unanswered here, but I don't really know for certain, and most of the regulars here don't have kids in cribs/highchairs anymore.

My best answer is to give guest services at the resort a call, and post back so we'll all know the answer!

There was a post a few months back on the other Vistana thread, and the user found that they were metal cribs with vinyl mattresses. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=51391016&highlight=cribs#post51391016

That sounds like best practice for a hotel/resort as there are issues of both liability and cleanliness to deal with. I think a Pack and Play would be pretty hard to keep clean and safe after many users.

I am fairly certain that highchairs are available as I seem to recall one left in our unit one year, but I could be remembering a different resort. If it was Vistana, it was one of the wooden ones you generally see in restaurants these days.

Again, rather than rely on my memory (as shoddy as it is becoming), best to give a call: 407 239 3100

Hi ladeb (LA Deb?, a Southerner who moved West?). I hate to see a question go unanswered here, but I don't really know for certain, and most of the regulars here don't have kids in cribs/highchairs anymore.

My best answer is to give guest services at the resort a call, and post back so we'll all know the answer!

There was a post a few months back on the other Vistana thread, and the user found that they were metal cribs with vinyl mattresses. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=51391016&highlight=cribs#post51391016

That sounds like best practice for a hotel/resort as there are issues of both liability and cleanliness to deal with. I think a Pack and Play would be pretty hard to keep clean and safe after many users.

I am fairly certain that highchairs are available as I seem to recall one left in our unit one year, but I could be remembering a different resort. If it was Vistana, it was one of the wooden ones you generally see in restaurants these days.

Again, rather than rely on my memory (as shoddy as it is becoming), best to give a call: 407 239 3100

I called Owner Services and they said they have cribs and high chairs. I'll take pics when we do go :)

Hi everyone. Joining this thread. My boss owns a timeshare at II and they don't use it much and he said we could use it anytime. He owns a 2 Bedroom in St. Maarten so I'm assuming I can get a 2 Bedroom at SVR.

Looking at going next June. Kids will be 16 and 14 then. What area would you recommend for this age. They love swimming, basketball, arcade and all different activities. I was thinking maybe Spa's for Cascade's. Are those pretty central to everything? I have looked at the map and I just get more confused on where to stay.

This will just be a relaxing (cheap)vacation. We have SW Airline points so airfare is paid for. DS is in Private High School right now and DD will be there next year so double the payment - hence the cheap trip. (Still have to have my vacation).

Since the kids were born we have either been to Disney or on a cruise. Kids are a bit Disney'd out. May try to book a few days at Universal before we stay here. We have never been and I think the kids would like all the big rides they have.

Hi everyone. Joining this thread. My boss owns a timeshare at II and they don't use it much and he said we could use it anytime. He owns a 2 Bedroom in St. Maarten so I'm assuming I can get a 2 Bedroom at SVR.

Looking at going next June. Kids will be 16 and 14 then. What area would you recommend for this age. They love swimming, basketball, arcade and all different activities. I was thinking maybe Spa's for Cascade's. Are those pretty central to everything? I have looked at the map and I just get more confused on where to stay.

This will just be a relaxing (cheap)vacation. We have SW Airline points so airfare is paid for. DS is in Private High School right now and DD will be there next year so double the payment - hence the cheap trip. (Still have to have my vacation).

Since the kids were born we have either been to Disney or on a cruise. Kids are a bit Disney'd out. May try to book a few days at Universal before we stay here. We have never been and I think the kids would like all the big rides they have.

Spas would be a great area for you, given your criteria, as would Cascades. So would Lakes or Fountains (the north side also has a gym, basketball courts, sand volleyball courts, shuffleboard, two playgrounds, one main pool and one secondary pool, dive-in movies on Sundays, etc.). The only "downside" to the north side is that its not near the Marketplace. But.....we have the Tacky Tiki Bar (and Grill) .

What would your check-in day be? Spas is generally Friday's only. Lakes, Fountains or Cascades all accept Friday, Saturday or Sunday check-ins.

Our check in day is flexible. We can pretty much leave any day (both jobs are pretty great that way). That's what makes it harder. I may have to wait until airfare is released for SW and see what days are cheaper to fly. But, also may want to go to Universal for a few days prior also... Too many decisions.

Spas would be a great area for you, given your criteria, as would Cascades. So would Lakes or Fountains (the north side also has a gym, basketball courts, sand volleyball courts, shuffleboard, two playgrounds, one main pool and one secondary pool, dive-in movies on Sundays, etc.). The only "downside" to the north side is that its not near the Marketplace. But.....we have the Tacky Tiki Bar (and Grill) .

What would your check-in day be? Spas is generally Friday's only. Lakes, Fountains or Cascades all accept Friday, Saturday or Sunday check-ins.

I wouldn't assume, I'd check to be sure. Just ask your boss if he can see availability at Vistana for the time period you are thinking of travelling.

There are a lot of variables at play here; if the trade is a weeks trade, or a points trade, time of year for the unit traded, rating of the resort traded etc. But at the core, not all 2BR are created equal, so it's easy to be caught when you think a trade should be easy. It mostly depends on how II values the week your boss deposits against what they deem the Vistana week is worth.

We are on RCI, but II works quite similarly. Early June at Vistana is not too "expensive" but by mid-June values are hitting their summertime high which holds through July and the first week of August. This is based on what I can currently see available in the RCI system, II has it's own valuation system; but as an idea of the value range in RCI the highest valued weeks (March Break and Christmas week) are generally about 3 times more valuable than the lowest valued weeks in late September to November. Summer weeks run about 2 times the lowest valued weeks. Points trades are bit more transparent, as your boss can see how many points he requires and how many points he has in the bank.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter