The Secret Cruise Blog of Perdita X (Dream, 09/14/2015)

Late and shouldn't be typing, but feeling kind of bummed about the trip. A friend just got back from her Dream trip and didn't enjoy it too much, from what I can tell. I didn't get the specific cabana I wanted (first world problems). Sounds like the adult areas were all packed. And our sailing is like two sailings before the dry dock, so I'll miss the upgrades and I'm also worried the ship service / quality will be "phoning it in" since it'll be so close to the dry dock downtime. But there's also no nearby dates I could try to move the cruise to with available Cat V, not without moving it to November or so.

Sorry, don't mean to bring anyone down, just venting a little.

Joining in on this as I started reading your PTR and you and some of the OPs are exactly like me, I plan and research all the time! I booked our first cruise ever on DCL for Sept 3, 2016 (over a year away sigh) with DH and our two youngest and started researching so much I booked a cruise on DCL just for DH and I for our anniversary in Feb 2016 which now becomes our first cruise and the sept 3rd 2016 will be our 2nd. DH thinks I've totally lost it as I work on computers all day long and I get home and after dinner, I'm back on them researching port excursions, sight seeing (love photography as my hobby) and boat info (going on Magic in Feb 2016 and Fantasy in Sept 2016). Cant wait to read more of your pre trip and debating when I'll start one as I'm still far out from our february cruise.

Also, hoping it was a fluke on your friend just getting back and not enjoying it.

Oh, please don't let anyone else's experience get you down. It's all about how you deal with whatever happens, right? If you plan on having a blast and realize that it won't all be exactly as you expect but still great, then you'll be prepared to have an amazing time no matter what is happening!

And I wouldn't worry about the service--I've never read or heard anything about the service being anything but awesome no matter what time of year or what the schedule is.

I get needing to vent but I just want you to be excited about your trip! :hug:

Hi perditax! I'm on the same sailing! I know we were going into drydock close to our sail date but wasn't aware it was two sailings after our sailing.

If it makes you feel any better, I was on the Dream over NYE this year and it looked perfect! It was a fully packed cruise and it is correct, it was
very difficult finding loungers in the adult-only area. I don't like to be facing the pool, I like to be facing the ocean.
What we did was go up a deck, still on the adult-only side, and was able to find loungers there (although getting some shade was a little harder to
do). It it cashe that you spoke to regarding her trip? Did they not have a good time? I've been watching to see her pre/post trip report but she hasn't posted. I guess that isn't good?

I so wish the concierge space of the deck faced out to the ocean and had more shade, so silly it doesn't. Well, more annoying if you ask me!
We also got a cabana. Happy you got one but sorry you didn't get what you requested.

I'm sailing with my mom (and my dd will be back in college and my ds in HS will be home with my dh). We will spend some time in Disney
and then head over to the port on Monday. I have to arrange transportation.

Don't be down! We are going on a great cruise and will be relaxing. I am still going to sign up for the 5K and play it by ear if I run depending on the
weather, although I'm like you...my running and workouts are all in the gym so I'll have to "practice" running outside.

You will not have that rotation. It will be either

ERRA
RAAE
AEER

apparently they are changing all of them to this. our itinerary (I) was supposed to be the last of the old rotations but looks like they changed that.

We went with ERRA. Doesn't matter where you are on pirate night, however Enchanted Garden had the *better* food and AP was cute cause he talked to DD but other than that, I'd have just eaten in my room every night if I didn't have DD with me. Concierge lounge food (read: bites of food) were the best food on the boat. We tried to go there every chance we could to fill up on their stuff

@perditax there's a huge thing of Tea, OJ and Apple Juice at all times in there (except for after 10pm, you can't even get in the lounge after that) and I just went in, used their TINY 6oz cups to fill up my Tervis we bought in the shopping place downstairs to mix w/ my vodka.

Also, the day before sailing we had a HUGE handle of vodka that we had BARELY touched and I called DCL to see if we could bring it on and they told me NO.

Um, yeah, i could have taken ANY open bottles ON OR OFF that boat. NO ONE checked. just an fyi.

Last edited:
Hi perditax! I'm on the same sailing! I know we were going into drydock close to our sail date but wasn't aware it was two sailings after our sailing.

If it makes you feel any better, I was on the Dream over NYE this year and it looked perfect! It was a fully packed cruise and it is correct, it was
very difficult finding loungers in the adult-only area. I don't like to be facing the pool, I like to be facing the ocean.
What we did was go up a deck, still on the adult-only side, and was able to find loungers there (although getting some shade was a little harder to
do). It it cashe that you spoke to regarding her trip? Did they not have a good time? I've been watching to see her pre/post trip report but she hasn't posted. I guess that isn't good?

I so wish the concierge space of the deck faced out to the ocean and had more shade, so silly it doesn't. Well, more annoying if you ask me!
We also got a cabana. Happy you got one but sorry you didn't get what you requested.

I'm sailing with my mom (and my dd will be back in college and my ds in HS will be home with my dh). We will spend some time in Disney
and then head over to the port on Monday. I have to arrange transportation.

Don't be down! We are going on a great cruise and will be relaxing. I am still going to sign up for the 5K and play it by ear if I run depending on the
weather, although I'm like you...my running and workouts are all in the gym so I'll have to "practice" running outside.
The 5k they did on our cruise was not at 5am. We didn't even dock until 8am. They ran the race at 830 when all ashore was happening. thought that was weird.

Hi--sorry my last post was a bit whatever, there was other stuff going on as well.

I'd rather go into the cruise with realistic expectations in any case, just a couple of little things all added up at once, and had some other first world problems. We have a cleaning service in a couple of times a month (BF and I both work jobs where we pull week-long 24-hour on-call shifts once a month, sometimes the same week, and I just reached a point where I was ready to have someone else mop the kitchen floor now and then). Anyway, week before last they spilled bleach on the carpet. Don't ask me how. They offered to pay for the carpet to be replaced (and it was right in the middle of the living room, there was no other fix), so that was fine, but we still had to spend all of last weekend prepping for carpet install, which meant packing up like half of our belongings so they could move the furniture from room to room. When I typed my last whiny post, the house was still in chaos from that.

Worrying about the specific cabana number is ridiculous, though. :)

On the bright side: BF's passport arrived in the mail today. I can't remember if I posted the potential issues with that, but the SS office screwed up his birthdate when he got his first SS card, showing him as being his age +100 years (yes, they literally typed in 18## instead of 19## when he was first issued a SS card), and that problem has been following him ever since. It's 'supposed' to be fixed but continues to cause issues such as preventing him from electronically filing his taxes, and I really did not believe the passport would go through on the first attempt. So this is good news (even though you don't need a passport for closed loop, I wanted him to have his in case we get addicted).

For those waiting on passports, it took just about four weeks exactly.

Also sort of good news: we may be moving offices at my job. This will mean a lot of work for me, basically moving 70 people and all the computers and the whole server room, but it's the kind of chaos I thrive on, and we've been in the current office so long it's sort of falling down around us. We'd be aiming for a move in October, but it would mean a lot of prep time over the summer, which will mean the summer passes by quickly since I'll be distracted with work. :) Should know in a week or two whether we are signing a lease on new space.

Oh my gosh, the carpet!! How would that even have happened? What a pain....

Whatever makes the time go faster until the cruise--I'm all for it! Hope work keeps you busy.

Glad the passport came with no troubles. Honestly--no one caught that typo on his birthdate? That's nuts!

... aaaaaaaand I spontaneously booked a 7-day cruise on the NCL Getaway for myself (solo) ...

... leaving this Saturday.

Gulp.

Enjoy!
I have a few cruises booked and one is NCL Breakaway. We have a great time on NCL and booked the Haven for our Breakaway trip.
Enjoy your solo trip! Happy summer!

I'm on the final day of my 7-day Getaway cruise (my first cruise ever). I ended up inadvertently live-blogging it over on Cruise Critic (once it turned out people were reading it I just kept going), if anyone wants to read it:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2224767

I've had a wonderful time. I really like cruising so far; I expected I would, which is why I turned out to be unable wait until September. :) And now there are a lot of little tips/tricks I know, and I'll be better able to deal with any challenges on DCL. The ONLY downside to this trip--well, there are two. 1) I understand now why people say longer cruisers are better. I didn't get fully in the groove until about day three. I expect my upcoming four day DCL trip will feel short. And 2), I really loved the library on the Getaway, and spent a lot of time in it (I am typing from it right now). Comfortable, usually peaceful, nice ocean views. I'm not sure I'll be able to find a similar place to chill on the Dream, if not in my own cabin; the Cove Cafe setup doesn't look quite the same (and I love the velveteen sofa I am sitting on right now). On the bright side, I spent this trip in a 100sf solo cabin on the Getaway, and while I LOVED the solo cabin and the solo lounge (see link for more details), having the bump out cat V on the Dream will feel enormous by comparison, and I will love having a balcony. In my stateroom now I only have the bridge-cam channel on the TV, have to go to another deck to even see the ocean. I don't seem all that prone to motion sickness--I was a little queasy at first and kept the bonine going, but by about day four I forgot to take it.

I think I am officially a cruiser.

Going to read about this trip. I'm so happy you're having a great trip! I am already regretting not booking a longer trip and we aren't even on the boat yet!

Just finished reading your NCL report and enjoyed it. For a spontaneous trip, you seemed to do great. Hope to cruise solo someday myself. :) Maybe when my kids are grown.

I have to say that having enjoyed the NCL cruise so much, it's making me look forward to my DCL cruise (70-something days now) a lot more. I had gotten a bit down about it at one point. And the NCL cruise was like a dry run; I have a lot of basic cruising knowledge that'll be helpful.

Like, I know for SURE that I just do not want to roast in the sun.

I know that my seasickness fears were mostly unfounded.

I know to take it easy on the food. (Although they had unbelievable cuban food on the Getaway.)

I know to rely on stairs not elevators when possible.

(When I think of more, I'll add them.)

Joining in! Just found your PTR, is fun to read. I Just finished reading your Getaway review and I really enjoyed it. Love your writing style.

I hope you do a review of this one too.

Update!

I really miss the Getaway! I guess this means I am officially a cruise person. And yes, since I’ve gotten a lot of unexpectedly positive feedback on my TR, I will write one for DCL. :)

Here’s what’s been going on with the DCL cruise planning (countdown: 65 days):

—The BF and I had a talk last night about the cabana rental. Well, actually we did a SWOT analysis board (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SWOT_analysis#/media/File:SWOT_en.svg) because we are both huge dorks. The reason this is even in question is that on the Getaway I determined that I really don’t like just lying around in direct sunlight all that much (though I love to swim), and BF has always been iffy about whether he’s even going to swim, so I thought the cabana might just be way too hot for him to sit in all day without cooling off in the water. So the question was whether my existing reservation was worth keeping. After BF was informed of various amenities (like the ability to shower off—one reason he wasn’t excited about the beach aspect is because he hates feeling sticky after salt water), and once I noticed that the cabanas have big ceiling fans, he was much more into it and he thought we should go for it. Since I was already mostly sold, him being positive on it was the kicker. VERDICT: Keeping cabana.

—We’re doing a one-way rental from MCO to PC the night before (then taxi or shuttle or something to the port after dropping off car), but today I arranged a Mears car to pick us up and take us to MCO after debark. Our flight home is pretty early (10:15, arguably the danger zone), and I just don’t want to stress about fighting crowds to pick up and drop off a rental car the other way. We’re going to do express walkoff, and I scheduled the Mears pickup at 7:30. If anyone reading this thinks I’ve misjudged any of this, timing wise, let me know. We’re concierge and not breakfast eaters, so I think we’ll be able to get our butts off the ship pretty fast.

—Retail therapy: luggage edition. I’ve bought a few things after learning lessons on the Getaway, mostly that I needed much different bags for schlepping things around, both during embark and during the normal shipboard walking around (I’m usually carrying a dumb amount of stuff). On the Getaway I either had a Baggalini cross body bag that was usually too small (one of their small models), or a nice laptop bag I use for work that I carry messenger-style, which was usually too big and heavy, and I had back/neck strain a lot. I mused at the time that I needed a small backpack. Two days after the cruise I was in TJ Maxx and I found this for $29.99:

http://www.amazon.com/Baggallini-CIN775KWCA-Cinch-Backpack/dp/B00GX7OC76

I said this over on CC, but no idea why this thing retails so high, the $30 I paid seems about right. But it’s exactly what I was picturing, so that was a nice score.

Also, during flights and embark day, that laptop bag I mentioned was just way too heavy and uncomfortable as a carry on. So I wanted something with rollers that was smaller than a normal carry-on suitcase. I’d been looking at this for a long time, but didn’t buy it, then it went out of stock. Yesterday I noticed it was back in stock on eBags, and I had some reward credit there, so I jumped on it:

http://www.ebags.com/product/delsey/quilted-rolling-overnighter/256557

(Note to mods, none of these are referral links.)

This will be my main bag for flight and ship carry-on (I usually try to avoid fighting for overhead bin space; this goes under the seat), for things like my iPad, prescriptions, passport/cruise docs, small change of clothes, etc. I’m also hoping my 13” macbook air can fit in it.

I think that about concludes my necessary big-ticket shopping for the trip, except that now that I know we’re doing a cabana I still want to get one of those Coolibar cover-ups. I’m waiting to see if they happen to go on sale during Amazon’s big July 15 sale. Still need to buy small things (pop up hamper, additional bonine and ginger pills, some small organizers/bags, water shoes, etc), also waiting for July 15 on all of it.

I’ve also contacted a pet sitter service. This is one of my big travel anxieties; we’ve had multiple bad experiences with friends/family and an ‘indie’ pet sitter. So I reached out to a big established company this time. (Two cats, whom we love unreasonably.)

I haven’t booked a rental car or hotel yet. When I was walking through FLL, an incredibly charismatic and pretty woman who looked a bit like Nicole Beharie talked me into applying for a Southwest credit card. I’m a sucker for gaming the system with rewards cards, but I hadn’t planned on getting a SW card just yet. But I had hours to kill and she got me. (I’m usually impervious to sales tactics—she was *good* and should go into cars or real estate or something. In fact, I really wish I could back and tell her so. “Ma’am, you are thinking too small, you should be selling mansions.”) SO ANYWAY, depending on how fast SW credits your miles after you complete their spending promotion, I may be able to use those miles for the hotel and car rental. I’m still pretty sure I’m going to stay at the Holiday Inn Express in Port Canaveral due to its proximity to a Publix (having travelled with BF a bit, and from my own experiences recently, we ALWAYS need to buy stuff after we’ve packed and left town, and if we decide to drop the car off the night before the cruise (rather than morning of), the publix looks to be walking distance). Plus at that time I’ll let him know about our ability to carry on booze. Neither of us are big drinkers, but he likes wine once in a while, so maybe we’ll buy a bottle or two.

I think that’s about it for now. I just wish it was a bit sooner. :)

65 days?!!? You're getting so close! I thought about getting a cabana and splitting the cost with the friends were traveling with, but I doubt we'd spend much time in it. With 5 kids in our group, I think it's safe to say we'll be digging in the sand or swimming most of the day. Am I making this up or did I see somewhere that there are umbrellas on the beach? I hope there are....

Great choices on bags! I still need to figure out something for a coverup too. I actually saw someone with a cute, shorter one (like a big comfy shirt) at a water park the other day. I really wanted to ask her where she got it, but I didn't. That's what the Internet is for, right? ;)

I'm thinking of canceling my Palo brunch. I mean, I guess there's no pressing need to cancel it this soon, but I just keep thinking of how wonky my stomach was on day 2 of my cruise, and how many trip reports I've read where people mention not having much appetite for their brunch and/or being uncomfortably full but forcing themselves to eat more. Plus I just don't think I want to spend hours of a short cruise on long meals, and Palo brunch is described as very long.

Definitely not canceling Palo dinner, though. No matter what happens I'm eating some chocolate soufflé.

Random retail update, I really like the Delsey roller (again, the thing I will carry all my electronics junk aboard with), BUT, the first one came with like 3" of ripped seam on one of the handles.

eBags was super cooperative and shipped me a new one via UPS air without requiring me to send the busted one back first. So far so good on the new one, but I've only looked at it for a few minutes. My 13" laptop fits in it, needs a sleeve though (no padded compartment).

I also bought a lot of small, inexpensive travel items on the 15th. Nothing I wanted really went on sale, but it was payday too in addition to Amazon's sale thingie, so whatever. Small things including:

--pop up hamper
--water shoes for both of us, some random swim wear
--highlighters (I used one every day on the Getaway, this particular cruise tip really is handy)
--cheap snorkel/mask sets for both of us--sounds like there is no snorkel gear to be had at SB
--Ginger pills
--An inexpensive jewelry bag
--This little set of pillboxes I'm going to use for non-prescription meds (we both take a lot of vitamins/supplements): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NQ6XXOK. Figure I'll fill one with bonine/ginger pills and make sure that one's always with me.

Still holding off on the Coolibar cover-up and hoping the price will drop.

65 days?!!? You're getting so close! I thought about getting a cabana and splitting the cost with the friends were traveling with, but I doubt we'd spend much time in it. With 5 kids in our group, I think it's safe to say we'll be digging in the sand or swimming most of the day. Am I making this up or did I see somewhere that there are umbrellas on the beach? I hope there are....

Great choices on bags! I still need to figure out something for a coverup too. I actually saw someone with a cute, shorter one (like a big comfy shirt) at a water park the other day. I really wanted to ask her where she got it, but I didn't. That's what the Internet is for, right? ;)

This reminds me, yesterday I was in the cafe where I eat lunch during the work week about 75% of the time. I noticed the woman in front of me had on Reef flipflops, which caught my eye because I had been flip-flop shopping recently. Then I looked further up and the pattern of her purse caught my eye. Then I realized I was looking at one of those DCL "Dooney and Burke" bags that people are always talking about. I tried to find it online later, it was this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NWT-Disney-...Cruise-Line-Large-Satchel-Purse-/291507484172

I'll just go ahead and say that that's a bit more than I'm going to pay for a cruiseline-branded purse, but I can see how it's a neat market niche for someone who is really into handbags AND Disney. I almost complimented her on it but I was with coworkers and I figured it might turn into a long conversation. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter