• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Saratogian

mlaniewski

Earning My Ears
Hey, guys. Our local Saratoga Springs newspaper, The Saratogian, had an article in it today about the new Saratoga Springs DVC property. Not much new info but some drawings and comments from one of the imagineers.

Here's the link:http://www.zwire.com/site/news.asp?brd=1169&pag=460&dept_id=17776 (Or, try www.saratogian.com and go to the lifestyles section)

I don't know how long they keep each day's paper on-line so check it soon.

Let me know if it works

Michelle

Thanks for that link.
It is great to see that Disney takes so much care into being historically correst and true to the area for which the resort is designed. It really got me excited and looking forward to the new DVC!!

Thanks for the article. The points better be lower....here is an excerpt from the article:
The studio accommodates a family of four and has a kitchenette. The one- and two-bedroom villas feature a full kitchen, living room and washer and dryer. The Grand Villas are 1,200 square feet and can accommodate up to 12 people.

The smallest Grand Villas on property...smaller than an OKW two bedroom unit.....or possibly a typo.

Originally posted by Richyams
The smallest Grand Villas on property...smaller than an OKW two bedroom unit.....or possibly a typo.
I have to believe that 1,200 sq ft would be the size of a 2BR at SSR, not the size of a grand villa. It wouldn't be the first time that a newspaper reporter has gotten a fact wrong.

The following square footage numbers have often been posted on this board:

2 Bedroom
BWV - 1,071 sq ft
VWL - 1,080 sq ft
OKW - 1,333 sq ft
BCV - 1,083 sq ft

If 1,200 sq ft is the right number for a 2BR at SSR (and I don't know how much I'd really trust that number), then it appears the room sizes at SSR will be smaller than OKW but bigger than BWV, VWL, and BCV.

Perfect link, albeit, it still contains that incorrect info.

Hey Michelle, I'll bet that you didn't know that you live in Western, NY.;) ;) ;)

It sounds like it's going to be spectacular. Thanks for the link!

well it says they started thinking of western NY. I think that since the Disney Institute buildings are based on the Chataqua(sp? and I have a street that crosses the street that I lived on for 32 of my 32 years and can't think of the spelling right now :teeth: ) Institute they were thinking of doing the resort in style like that.

''It takes roughly 14 months from conception to construction documents,'' said Disney Imagineer Kevin Cummings. ''We knew the type of architecture -- a Victorian shingle style. We didn't have a name. As we moved forward, we started (looking at) western New York. As the architecture got more refined, it started to get a better type of look. We were kind of lost for a while, then we researched (Saratoga Springs).''

Mike

OK just finishing READING the article (skimmed it first time) and found some another incorrect fact.
But, until all of the units are sold, non-Vacation Club members will be able to stay there. It will be booked just like a regular hotel, according to Mariska Elia, Vacation Club manager of communications.

As we all know it is not just until all units are sold, as DVD keeps some rooms for themselves for general public use. You can book the DVC resorts like a regular hotel (at a pretty high cost).

Mike

Originally posted by dvcreg
Hey Michelle, I'll bet that you didn't know that you live in Western, NY.;) ;) ;)

Awwww shucks...Did they move Saratoga Springs to Western New York? I wanted to include it on our New York/New England two week tour this summer, but if they moved it to western New York forget it!;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

We're planning on stopping at Saratoga Springs to get the feel for it to see how well Disney does with their resort. I've been to Saratoga once before and DBF has never been, but I'm sure he's going to LOVE it!

Any tips on "must sees" Michelle?

When are you coming? That's the most important questions. Make it August if you can. That's racing season. I'm not much of a horse racing fan (shhh, you're not supposed to say that around here!) but I love racing SEASON. Our downtown (rated one of the top ten downtowns in the country) is hopping for the whole six week meet! Lots of live music, great restaurants. Our family never gets tired of strolling on Broadway. It's also a great place to people watch and you can spy some famous faces in August

We also have the Saratoga Performing Arts center so check the concert schedule when you have a date.

You can take a tour of Yaddo gardens. Yaddo is an artists retreat and hosted lots of famous visual artists, musicians and writers.

You can visit the natural springs and try the mineral water that bubbles out. (yuck!)

We have the National Museum of Dance and, of course, the Horse Racing Museum.

There are a number of beautiful Bed & Breakfasts. Send me a note if you want suggestions.

Do I sound like I work for the Chamber of Commerce? We really love it here.

Michelle

There's always the Saratoga Race Course, the most beautiful in the country. How could I forget that?! Like I said, I don't like the races but I love to go to breakfast there and watch the horses work out. It's a fancy breakfast right at the rail. There's usually someone there providing commentary on what's going on with each horse and stuff.

Oh, and Saratoga Springs was voted one of the top 10 sports related vacation spots by Sports Illustrated.

Ok, I'll stop now.

Twelve people in 1200 square feet would seem pretty packed to me. I am sure they must have the dimensions wrong in the article. Good article though. It will be interesting to see more information from Disney as it become available.

How many Saratogain's ( or near Saratogians) are out there? I reported this post on Sunday. As I said in my previous post my kids are thrilled about literally having a home away from home!I am originally from Long Island and my DH from York Pa. and wouldn't think to live anywhere else although as you can tell the snow is getting to us this year!We have to agree with mlaniewski there is no place like home!

Originally posted by tripletvan
We have to agree with mlaniewski there is no place like home!

:eek: :eek: :eek: I just had a thought!!!!

Will you Saratogians be adding points at Saratoga Springs?

And when your friends ask you where you are going on vacation will you say Saratoga Springs?:p :p

I have heard that the points may go up to $90 when SS opens so we will have to wait and check the pocketbook!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter