The Running Thread - 2016

ATTQOTD: I'm not sure it qualifies as a weather event, but I was having a great run along the shore of the harbor in Melbourne. I was an extremely picturesque run with sand and water to my right and the wind at my back. It was great until I turned around to run back to the hotel and found I was now running into the wind. It was picking up that picturesque sand and blasting me in the face with it. One quick turn changed an amazing run into running in a sandblaster.

I see a lot of people posting about "you don't have to be fast" and it reminded me of something I read in a running magazine last year that stuck with me. It was an elite woman (can't even remember who) that said whenever she runs large marathons she is always shocked at the people who run for 5-7 hours. She explained she did not mean that in a bad way. That her training never has her running even over 3 hours and she just has no idea if she is a strong enough athlete to run that long. That what those people are doing is basically an athletic feat in itself. I'm paraphrasing here, but the gist was how impressed she was with all of us middle of the packers/slower folk who endure/have the stamina/mental toughness etc.
Something about that little article always sticks in my head when I'm at a race feeling slow as speedy people come buzzing by me at turnarounds or on double loop courses. So instead of thinking "I'm not as fast as X person"...think "OH, yeah, well I'm gonna run twice as long as you." Now you've turned yourself from the slower person to the one who can run longer :)

To me, there are two types of impressive (and neither is necessarily more impressive than the other). My basis for my opinion is the following.

1. I believe in perception of effort. The harder you run the faster you go. But everyone's 75% is equal to everyone else's 75% when relating perception of effort.
2. I believe that time spent running is an important factor, more so than mileage.
3. Mileage is a function of perceived effort x time. If you run faster (effort), or longer (time), then you increase your mileage.

Scenario 1

We have two people standing next to each other. I tell them both to run at 75% effort for 90 minutes. They both complete the workout.

Person A - 75% effort at 90 minutes
Person B - 75% effort at 90 minutes

Which is more impressive? Based on the information given, they are equal.

Person A ran 10 miles
Person B ran 5 miles

Which is more impressive? Based on the information given, Person A is more impressive. Person A's 75% effort is faster than Person B's 75% effort.

Scenario 2

We have two people standing next to each other. I tell them both to run at 75% effort for 13.1 miles. They both complete the workout.

Person C - 75% effort for 13.1 miles
Person D - 75% effort for 13.1 miles

Person C finished in 1:45
Person D finished in 3:00

Which is more impressive? Based on the information given, Person D is more impressive. Person D ran at the same effort level as Person C, yet did it for 71% longer in time than Person C.

So, to me there are two kinds of impressive.

1. It's impressive to me that Galen can run at 75% effort and that equals a 5:00 min/mile. It's impressive because when I run at 75% effort it equals a 8:00 min/mile. Galen is faster than me at the same effort level.
2. It's impressive to me that Person D ran at 75% effort for 3 hours. It's impressive because when I run at 75% effort it equals 1:45. Person D is able to maintain the same effort level as me, but for 71% longer in time.

Hopefully this helps make sense of my idea. So when someone says I ran a 15:00 min/mile for a half marathon, but I gave it everything I got. I come away impressed. That person's perception of effort was the same as mine, but yet they maintained that effort for significantly longer than me.

Look at it one other way. When someone goes out and runs a marathon in 5:00, for me to match the same physical feat (same effort X time) I would have to run 40 miles instead of 26.2 miles. I don't believe I could run 40 miles in 5:00.

So I come away impressed by anyone that's running no matter what. Everyone one of you impresses me!

To me, there are two types of impressive (and neither is necessarily more impressive than the other). My basis for my opinion is the following.

1. I believe in perception of effort. The harder you run the faster you go. But everyone's 75% is equal to everyone else's 75% when relating perception of effort.
2. I believe that time spent running is an important factor, more so than mileage.
3. Mileage is a function of perceived effort x time. If you run faster (effort), or longer (time), then you increase your mileage.

Scenario 1

We have two people standing next to each other. I tell them both to run at 75% effort for 90 minutes. They both complete the workout.

Person A - 75% effort at 90 minutes
Person B - 75% effort at 90 minutes

Person A ran 10 miles
Person B ran 5 miles

Which is more impressive? Based on the information given, Person A is more impressive. Person A's 75% effort is faster than Person B's 75% effort.

Scenario 2

We have two people standing next to each other. I tell them both to run at 75% effort for 13.1 miles. They both complete the workout.

Person C - 75% effort for 13.1 miles
Person D - 75% effort for 13.1 miles

Person C finished in 1:45
Person D finished in 3:00

Which is more impressive? Based on the information given, Person D is more impressive. Person D ran at the same effort level as Person C, yet did it for 71% longer in time than Person C.

So, to me there are two kinds of impressive.

1. It's impressive to me that Galen can run at 75% effort and that equals a 5:00 min/mile. It's impressive because when I run at 75% effort it equals a 8:00 min/mile. Galen is faster than me at the same effort level.
2. It's impressive to me that Person D ran at 75% effort for 3 hours. It's impressive because when I run at 75% effort it equals 1:45. Person D is able to maintain the same effort level as me, but for 71% longer in time.

Hopefully this helps make sense of my idea. So when someone says I ran a 15:00 min/mile for a half marathon, but I gave it everything I got. I come away impressed. That person's perception of effort was the same as mine, but yet they maintained that effort for significantly longer than me.

Look at it one other way. When someone goes out and runs a marathon in 5:00, for me to match the same physical feat (same effort X time) I would have to run 40 miles instead of 26.2 miles. I don't believe I could run 40 miles in 5:00.

So I come away impressed by anyone that's running no matter what. Everyone one of you impresses me!

Very well stated!

ATTQOTD: 30mph winds on the Lake Front Trail in Chicago coming at us from the side. Waves crashing up over the rocks onto us and bibs flapping like jet engines. Pretty weird, yet cool experience. Definitely one of my slower finish times but a fun memory now.

QOTD: What are some interesting weather events you have witnessed while out for a run?
I have run in monsoon rainstorms, 2-3 inch/hr snowfalls and an ice storm (only made this mistake once), but the weirdest weather that I have experienced when running was a super heavy fog - I mean, can't see your feet fog. It had snowed heavily the day before, but on this morning the temps were up to 35 degrees and a light rain was falling. There was no wind, so the fog was just rising up off of the snow and thickening. I was in the middle of an 18 mile out/back run on a local 2 lane highway when it started, and I didn't carry my cell phone, so I had to just keep on trucking and hope that I didn't get killed.

My wife came looking for me along the road because she got worried, but the fog was so thick that she didn't see me, nor did I see her. Frankly, I am not sure how she was able to drive at all.

Thanks @camaker for the suggestion......I've heard great things about Raleigh and my daughter wants to do some college tours in NC. Hard to believe she starts her senior year in HS next week.

Raleigh is a great little city. I moved here from Charlotte to go to college in the late 80s and never left. If you've got any questions or need any info, feel free to drop me a PM and I'll help in any way that I can.

I see a lot of people posting about "you don't have to be fast" and it reminded me of something I read in a running magazine last year that stuck with me. It was an elite woman (can't even remember who) that said whenever she runs large marathons she is always shocked at the people who run for 5-7 hours. She explained she did not mean that in a bad way. That her training never has her running even over 3 hours and she just has no idea if she is a strong enough athlete to run that long. That what those people are doing is basically an athletic feat in itself. I'm paraphrasing here, but the gist was how impressed she was with all of us middle of the packers/slower folk who endure/have the stamina/mental toughness etc.
Something about that little article always sticks in my head when I'm at a race feeling slow as speedy people come buzzing by me at turnarounds or on double loop courses. So instead of thinking "I'm not as fast as X person"...think "OH, yeah, well I'm gonna run twice as long as you." Now you've turned yourself from the slower person to the one who can run longer :)
That's a great way to put it. I also like the way @DopeyBadger breakes it down. It's definitely something to think about whenever you're feeling bad about your speed during a race.

QOTD: What are some interesting weather events you have witnessed while out for a run?
I very rarely run in 'interesting' weather (beyond the normal hot/cold/humid swing of the Northeast) but I've seen some amazing sunrises and sunsets just getting in runs early or late if that counts as weather. Beyond that it's just the occasional rain or snow.

I find to really cut down on transition times you should just wear your bike helmet in the water too. Another good tip would be to visit the hospital the day before after packet pick-up to get a pre-filled-out medical bracelet and to reserve your room/pre-order your preferred blood type. Really cut down transition time into the ER that way. I'm full of really good triathlon tips if you need more.

UNRELATED: I just saw they are FINALLY going to have iphone emojis with a running girl for the new IOS! So I don't have to use that little runner-dude in my texts anymore once I get my new phone later this year. Looks like she will have a ponytail.
I initially quoted this for the running girl but then I read the triathlon tips and I just couldn't. I hope she has a ponytail (or shorter hair) because I find running with my hair down unbearable.
Hersey Half is supposed to be fun. You get park tickets and a goodie bag which I assume contains plenty of chocolate.
I want to do this race as well because I've only heard good things. I just want to do it one year when I can do the Chocolate Town Challenge.

ATTQOTD: Well, maybe not necessarily interesting weather, but we had run for some time in a light rain and as the rain was letting up we got to enjoy this

Rainbow_zps49d2873e.jpg

I will agree to the terms of this deal as long as someone pays for my travel/room/race fee. I'll buy my own food, but request a IPA while I "rest my legs" in the ER. One last request, I get to take the medal home to Louisiana.

I really fee like I am getting the best deal in this situation now... well minus the fact that I am way under trained, have zero swimming training, and my bike has a flat tire that I haven't even thought about fixing since I moved about 3 months ago... How much are those nifty tri swim suits? Could I just swim in my beach trunks? I know that would probably add to my transition time, but I'll make the sacrifice. LOL

I find to really cut down on transition times you should just wear your bike helmet in the water too. Another good tip would be to visit the hospital the day before after packet pick-up to get a pre-filled-out medical bracelet and to reserve your room/pre-order your preferred blood type. Really cut down transition time into the ER that way. I'm full of really good triathlon tips if you need more.

UNRELATED: I just saw they are FINALLY going to have iphone emojis with a running girl for the new IOS! So I don't have to use that little runner-dude in my texts anymore once I get my new phone later this year. Looks like she will have a ponytail.

Hilarious, you guys kill me :) I can certainly arrange that IPA Jerry! I even have a spare wetsuit you could use, although it would look like a shorty suit on you...pretty sure you have a few inches on me. Maybe @roxymama has some wetsuit tips for you??

ATTQOTD: Well, like someone else said there was the weather delay at last year's W&D. :) That was the first interesting weather event I have witnessed, although we were not technically running at the time.

Nothing else very interesting, unless you count heavy rain, other than the fog at a 10K that I did last summer (the one I am doing again in 2 weeks). Part of the course is right along the ocean, and the race is in the evening. There was a very heavy fog last year hugging the coast. The race starts on the coast, heads south a little bit, turns inland for a big loop, then comes out about 2 miles north of the finish line and you finish going south along the coast again. It wasn't quite so bad when you went inland, but the coast parts were very hard to see, especially the finish because by that time it was getting darker since it was almost 7pm and the fog was thicker than it had been at the start. The ocean is literally on the other side of the road from where you are running, and I could not see the water. I couldn't even really see that far in front of me, maybe 50 feet or so.

ATTQOTD: The most interesting weather experience I had during a run was a local 5K I did in January. It's Wisconsin, so January is bound to be cold, but the temperature the morning of the race was -2 degrees, with a wind chill around -30. I was already signed up, and I had been looking forward to the event, so I wasn't going to skip it for the weather. The good news was there was little snow on the ground, so at least ice and slippery spots weren't an issue. But it was crazy. I was wearing a scarf, and when I was finished, I had icicles frozen on it from my breathing. It was quite the experience!

And yes, add last year's Wine and Dine to the list too. Pretty much the exact opposite in terms of weather conditions. I wouldn't want -2 again, but I'll take the colder side of things over the humidity of Florida.

Hilarious, you guys kill me :) I can certainly arrange that IPA Jerry! I even have a spare wetsuit you could use, although it would look like a shorty suit on you...pretty sure you have a few inches on me. Maybe @roxymama has some wetsuit tips for you??

I find it best when someone asks you for tips and you aren't sure what to say...just say "BODY GLIDE!"
I feel like this would be applicable.

ATTQOTD: Weather here in Michigan is often interesting, especially here in West Michigan where we have the "lake effect" thing. Probably the weirdest run I had was during a thunder snow, a strange phenomenon that happens sometimes in late winter/early spring where the upper atmosphere is warm and the lower atmosphere is cold, or something like that (I'm no meteorologist). :rolleyes:

I don't know I've had any truly interesting weather during a run. Snow and rain multiple times, and of course, Wine and Dine last year with the shortening of the race.

I also think I forgot to update about my 8k race on Sunday. It was humid and hilly but at least the course had really pretty scenery. And it was in conjunction with a half so the whole time I felt pretty grateful that I was just doing the 8k. My official chip time was 1:05:40.

ATTQOTD: Weather here in Michigan is often interesting, especially here in West Michigan where we have the "lake effect" thing. Probably the weirdest run I had was during a thunder snow, a strange phenomenon that happens sometimes in late winter/early spring where the upper atmosphere is warm and the lower atmosphere is cold, or something like that (I'm no meteorologist). :rolleyes:
Jim Cantore always gets very excited about thunder snow. :D

Oh, this is a fun one! Let's see...
Plenty of "rain" runs. But to be clear, it's not any ordinary rain here in FL: I'm talking full-strength, horizontal rain that pools on pavement and creates near white-out conditions.
Lightning. I try to avoid it, but if I never went outside when there was lightning, I'd never leave the house all summer, so yeah - I've seen my share of bolts in the sky.
I once saw a water spout (tornado over water) form while running on the beach.
I ran through a named storm once - it was just a "little" one lol! Wind gusts were around 60mph, but I was in a relatively sheltered park so that wasn't bad. The torrential rain that came down had me running through mid-calf-deep water, so I figured I was getting a resistance workout for free. ;)
Does high heat count as "interesting"? My hottest run was one with a Feels Like of 112.

Florida running is fun! :beach:

ATTQOTD: Here in New England the motto is if you don't like the weather wait five minutes. It'll change;). I've run in all kinds of weather, but nothing particularly comes to mind. If the roads are clear, I enjoy running in a light snow, as long as it's melting as it hits, and the roads aren't turning to ice. I'm fine with rain, cold to about 10 degrees (-4 with wind is coldest I've done). The heat gets me, probably because we only get it in spurts here. I'll run in it but cautiously, because it's just not something I'm well acclimated too.

Jim Cantore always gets very excited about thunder snow. :D

You beat me to this. I enjoy thunder snow, but he takes it to another level ;)

@DopeyBadger, I love your explanations about effort/speed/duration. I have a lot of fast friends who at the same age as me (40s) have been running since they were kids or teens. I've only been running any kind of distance for 4 years, and have had quite a few injury setbacks from trying to do too much too soon. I feel horrible usually when I think about my runs compared to theirs, 1:45 halves versus my 2:25. But you've really put a great spin on it. Makes me feel much better :)

I think I've run in every type of weather Nebraska gets, snow, ice, hail, downpours, thunder storms, rainbows popping out, dense fog (today was very foggy actually) - getting hit by hundreds of grasshoppers does that count as a grasshopper storm, ha!

Probably the weirdest was way way way back when, we had an ice/snow storm the day before my very first half (was going to be a full), but course had to be cut to half only due to ice, downed trees, etc. It was kind of eerie seeing everything covered in ice, the road was okay for the most part at least, but looked like a frozen wonderland.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter