The Running Thread--2024

Brooks has a fabulous return policy. Did you buy a shoe that was new to you? I'll admit I tend to just buy updated models of the same shoe over and over.

ETA: I have made mistakes with shoes before and usually just end up repurposing them to use as new shoes for work. It's definitely frustrating.

Last edited:
Let me know if this belongs better in another thread.

I'm feeling annoyed at myself because I may have just wasted some money on the wrong shoes for me. I bought my first new pair of running shoes in a year earlier this week. They're also my first new pair since running 4-5 days a week, which I started in December. I expect to buy another pair in June / July if I keep up my mileage.

I went to my local Asics store, talked to an associate, got reccomended some models, figured out my right size, and then ordered online becuase they didn't have the exact model/size combo I wanted in store. My first run with them my shins felt a bit uncomfortable. I also thought the shoes felt kind of flat, but thought that might just be getting used to them. I ended the run a mile early because my main goal is staying healthy and continuing to run. My second run I had knee pain after about two miles. I swapped to my old shoes and the pain got better within a mile and I finished my run. I don't think this is all in my head, but that's also possible.

How do you all test new shoes? How long do you give them feeling bad/ weird before giving up? Do you try to fix them by buying new insoles? Nike seems to have an amazing return policy, but everyone else has an (totally understandable but not good for me) "use it and you can't return" rule. When you're shopping or shoes, do you trust any particular brands or websites? How often do you just miss or get unlucky with a pair?

I'm not sure what to do here, but I know I want to keep running, and don't want to hurt myself. I've also been thinking for the last month or so that my original pair of shoes is feeling less bouncy and worn in some cusioning areas. So I feel like I "should" be looking at new shoes.
When you say new shoes, I assume you mean you changed brands/shoes completely? or are they the same model and just a new pair? I would be more concerned with the former. I’ve probably told this story too many times here, but I started my running journey happily running in a neutral shoe (Brooks Glycerin) and got fitted for new shoes just to try something new when those wore out. Was fitted with an Asics stability shoe (don’t remember which one). I immediately felt shin pain when running in them. Running friends assured me it was just adjusting to new shoes and it would go away. It did not :(. I ended up with an awful IT band injury that my PT attributed to using the stability shoe. I switched back to neutral shoes and have never had that problem again.

Thats obviously a very specific-to-me story, and it’s a long-winded way of saying my completely non-professional opinion is listen to your body and don’t run through pain. It could be a sign something about those shoes doesn’t work well with your body.

I'm feeling annoyed at myself because I may have just wasted some money on the wrong shoes for me. I bought my first new pair of running shoes in a year earlier this week. They're also my first new pair since running 4-5 days a week, which I started in December. I expect to buy another pair in June / July if I keep up my mileage.

I went to my local Asics store, talked to an associate, got reccomended some models, figured out my right size, and then ordered online becuase they didn't have the exact model/size combo I wanted in store. My first run with them my shins felt a bit uncomfortable. I also thought the shoes felt kind of flat, but thought that might just be getting used to them. I ended the run a mile early because my main goal is staying healthy and continuing to run. My second run I had knee pain after about two miles. I swapped to my old shoes and the pain got better within a mile and I finished my run. I don't think this is all in my head, but that's also possible.

How do you all test new shoes? How long do you give them feeling bad/ weird before giving up? Do you try to fix them by buying new insoles? Nike seems to have an amazing return policy, but everyone else has an (totally understandable but not good for me) "use it and you can't return" rule. When you're shopping or shoes, do you trust any particular brands or websites? How often do you just miss or get unlucky with a pair?

I'm not sure what to do here, but I know I want to keep running, and don't want to hurt myself. I've also been thinking for the last month or so that my original pair of shoes is feeling less bouncy and worn in some cusioning areas. So I feel like I "should" be looking at new shoes.
Is there a reason you didn't buy a new pair of the same shoes you're currently using?

I find most places are OK with you trying the shoes at home on a treadmill, so I make sure to do that before trying the shoes out outside. But also, for me at least, finding the right shoes is mostly trial and error, which unfortunately can end up on wasted money.

Did you buy a shoe that was new to you?
When you say new shoes, I assume you mean you changed brands/shoes completely? or are they the same model and just a new pair?
I bought a brand new shoe, and it was a new brand and model. So I knew there was some risk. I guess I just thought I was mitigating it more than I really was by going to the store, reading online, and talking to the people.

Is there a reason you didn't buy a new pair of the same shoes you're currently using?
Yes, though in hindsight maybe not a good enough reason. I felt like my older shoes I bought when I was getting back into running. I purchased them becuase they felt comfortable in the store and were on sale. I didn't really put too much thought into it. For my second pair of shoes back I thought I could do better by doing more research. I also wanted a slightly wider and springier shoe in my new pair. Some online reviews also said my current shoes were only OK, so I thought the grass could be greener. I'll admit I don't really know how far off ideal I'd need to be to make trying something new the best play.

Thanks all for the input! It's nice to hear above that I'm not necessarily completely out in left field. I'll probably do the Nike or Brooks suggestion, and then fall back to a new copy of my current shoes if that doesn't work out.

How do you all test new shoes? How long do you give them feeling bad/ weird before giving up? Do you try to fix them by buying new insoles?

Both of my local running stores allow you to try the shoes out (one - Runner's Roost - gives you 30 days and one - Fleet Feet - gives you 60 days) and, if you don't like them, will take them back no questions asked. There are also a number of online running stores that have similar polices (for Road Runner and Fit 2 Run, you need to be part of their club, Fleet Feet is for everyone). Shoes from these stores may be more expensive, but you get what you pay for.

Having dealt with a foot problem that took me well over a year to fully recover from, I will never take a chance on my shoes. Also, if I find a shoe that works for me, I won't switch unless I absolutely have to. (I've been known to hoard my favorite styles/versions). A runner's feet are nothing to mess around with IMHO.

If you can't return your shoes, you might want to try to sell them online (I would start with Facebook Marketplace or a runDisney merch group). If you price them right, you should find a buyer. Runners love deals on shoes!

Did a 5k this morning! First one in several years after having kids and covid pneumonia that kicked my butt for months afterwards.

I anticipated it to be 45 mins and my official time was 46, so I'm really happy with it! It was kinda cold and windy to start, which was a bummer.

Looking ahead to some more fun races coming up, mainly the Zoo Run in April that I'd like to try and do the 10k in, another local 5k the weekend after Zoo Run, and who knows what else.

Not running related, but I have a couple of questions about flying into Dallas (Love Field) and getting to the downtown area, if anyone has experience with that. I feel like we have a reasonable number of Texas people in here? (Yes, I know Texas is huge.)

Firstly, it is NOT all in your head: shoes that cause pain are bad shoes for you, period. Secondly, you are faaaaar from alone! There are entire online groups out there for Running Shoe Geeks because well, a lot of us geek out on running shoes. Which also often involves trying new things and finding that they’re not great. I’ve been very, VERY good to my local thrift stores in the running shoes category over the decades.

That said, there are absolutely affordable ways to try new shoes without being stuck with them. Running Warehouse has one of the best return policies I’ve ever seen, including used shoes - 90 days to see if they work for your or not. Road Runner Sports was a close second, maybe still is? Worth exploring. Brooks has a pretty great return policy and surprisingly good online “which shoes is best for me?” profiler. I hate feeding the beast, but I find deeply discounted past models on Amazon and save a bunch of money - no wear and return policy, but I can usually wear a shoe around the house for 15 minutes and know if it’ll work.

I know the prevailing wisdom is that everyone should go to a running specialty store to be fit by a professional. And maybe that works for lots of people. It has not for me. I have very specific and peculiar needs and Goldilocks feet that will make life unbearable in less-than perfect shoes, and I’ve yet to have a store salesperson get me into a perfect shoe. My sage advice is this: if they don’t feel perfect from the moment you step into them, they’re not right. You shouldn’t need to add insoles, change your form, “get used to them”, or break them in: they truly should be ready to go right out of the box.

My suggestion is to try to return the ASICS: it’s worth a shot. And then try on a lot of shoes. Lots of different models from lots of different brands! Go to multiple stores if you have them nearby. See what feels good on your feet right out of the box as a starting point, then try running in what felt great, using an in store treadmill or generous return policy.

And… inevitably accept that yes - there will be the occasional dud that just will not work and can’t be returned and accept that as your Runner’s Tax. I promise, we’ve all been there!

DH and I were at the mall this afternoon because we had to drive DD there and it was a rainy day. We did not need anything but I said that I would like a pair of shoes that would be a bit less casual than my old running shoes to wear with my jeans at work… I used to wear skirts and suits, but working from home changed me. So we picked little indoor boots, eliminated fancy uncomfortable shoes, looked at sparkly and name brand shoe and I tried a few. Anyway, to make the story short, DH and I ended up buying matching pairs of Black-Black Hoka Bondi 😂 Very fashionable and perfect for walking, or for the office! We concluded that like many women I have a lot of pairs of expensive shoes, but mine are all running shoes 😝

After that, we went to a sport store and I saw Black-Black ASICS Nimbus in sale. So I thought that it would be another good choice. It is, so I am keeping them both 😳

Last edited:

I am another with extremely picky feet when it comes to running shoes. When I first started I took the advice of store personnel because I didn’t know what I needed and found that didn’t work. It is as simple as how it feels for you, not what anyone thinks you should have. If there is anything at all wrong such as a tight spot or strange feeling in the arch, ankle, toe, etc. it’s a strict no buy. It will only get worse over the course of several miles. That said I buy at Fleet Feet or Amazon, both are very good at taking returns, and try to stick with models and names that I’ve found work for me. I had a local store that I found the hard way didn’t like returns but they did give store credit as opposed to a refund so at least I could get something useful, that may be an option for you. I would try returning what you’ve got and hope you can find one that works.

Last edited:
DH and I were at the mall this afternoon because we had to drive DD there and it was a rainy day. We did not need anything but I said that I would like a pair of shoes that would be a bit less casual than my old running shoes to wear with my jeans at work… I used to wear skirts and suits, but working from home changed me. So we picked little indoor boots, eliminated fancy uncomfortable shoes, looked at sparkly and name brand shoe and I tried a few. Anyway, to make the story short, DH and I ended up buying matching pairs of Black-Black Hoka Bondi 😂 Very fashionable and perfect for walking, or for the office! We concluded that like many women I have a lot of pairs of expensive shoes, but mine are all running shoes 😝

After that, we went to a sport store and I saw Black-Black ASICS Nimbus in sale. So I thought that it would be another good choice. It is, so I am keeping them both 😳
Flav, I completely relate to this post! When forced to return to the office a few days a week, I was unwilling to go back to being uncomfortable, but my office is still stuck in the 80s Power Suits realm… I literally spend the entirety of my office days within my individual office: nobody outside our own staff ever sees me, so why on earth should I dress up that much?! I’ve slowly been wearing more and more comfortable footwear with dress pants and sweaters and it’s been LIFE CHANGING lol! Fun fact (and also on-topic for dud shoes): I remember Stan Smiths being a LOT more comfortable 40 years ago than they are today. :rotfl: :headache: But Keds? Still comfy and perfect for straddling the dress code line while gently pushing the boundaries. All this to say, I applaud your new acquisitions!!

I have multiple pairs of all-black Nimbus and have been wearing them to work most days for years! With dresses, skirts, dress pants, everything. Finally starting to think about replacing them with newer models. You’ll never go back to dress shoes.

So, after spending way too long looking at the Garmin app, I found that apparently I had to set my heart rate zones for running separately from the main ones. No idea why, or why I didn’t notice that before. So now my hr zone saga is complete and everything is right in the world again.

Not running related, but I have a couple of questions about flying into Dallas (Love Field) and getting to the downtown area, if anyone has experience with that. I feel like we have a reasonable number of Texas people in here? (Yes, I know Texas is huge.)
Fly to Dallas (Love or DFW) every other week, although I don't go to downtown from there (head over to Plano). Feel free to message me and I'm happy to help if I can.

When you say new shoes, I assume you mean you changed brands/shoes completely? or are they the same model and just a new pair? I would be more concerned with the former. I’ve probably told this story too many times here, but I started my running journey happily running in a neutral shoe (Brooks Glycerin) and got fitted for new shoes just to try something new when those wore out. Was fitted with an Asics stability shoe (don’t remember which one). I immediately felt shin pain when running in them. Running friends assured me it was just adjusting to new shoes and it would go away. It did not :(. I ended up with an awful IT band injury that my PT attributed to using the stability shoe. I switched back to neutral shoes and have never had that problem again.

Thats obviously a very specific-to-me story, and it’s a long-winded way of saying my completely non-professional opinion is listen to your body and don’t run through pain. It could be a sign something about those shoes doesn’t work well with your body.
GT-2000s? I was in Asics for years when they switched to GT-2000s, and I also came down with a mother case of ITBS in those shoes. Took years to get over that injury.

I have friends who work at a Runners Roost, so I go there just to chat running, and get their professional opinion on the shoes. I'm always nervous when the new year's model is released because I know every shoe company is tweaking their shoes.

GT-2000s? I was in Asics for years when they switched to GT-2000s, and I also came down with a mother case of ITBS in those shoes. Took years to get over that injury.

I have friends who work at a Runners Roost, so I go there just to chat running, and get their professional opinion on the shoes. I'm always nervous when the new year's model is released because I know every shoe company is tweaking their shoes.
Interesting. When I got more into running and visited a running shoe store for the first time rather than just buying the shoe that had the colors that most interested me, I bought the GT-2000s. Guess what? I had IT band issues. I don't know that it was the shoes fault and likely just more running by me, but it is interesting that in my sample size of two we both had ITB issues with the GT-2000. I've been a Brooks Adrenaline fan since then.

Flav, I completely relate to this post! When forced to return to the office a few days a week, I was unwilling to go back to being uncomfortable, but my office is still stuck in the 80s Power Suits realm… I literally spend the entirety of my office days within my individual office: nobody outside our own staff ever sees me, so why on earth should I dress up that much?! I’ve slowly been wearing more and more comfortable footwear with dress pants and sweaters and it’s been LIFE CHANGING lol! Fun fact (and also on-topic for dud shoes): I remember Stan Smiths being a LOT more comfortable 40 years ago than they are today. :rotfl: :headache: But Keds? Still comfy and perfect for straddling the dress code line while gently pushing the boundaries. All this to say, I applaud your new acquisitions!!
After leaving my first job, I'm always in comfortable shoes. Running shoes come in some great colors, and quite frankly, I don't care if someone doesn't like it. I dress appropriately, but my feet at non-negotiable. Don't even get me started if it's a male boss saying women needs to wear dress shoes. YOU try wearing heels and tell me if you're comfortable!

Most recently I ordered a pair of sport OOFOS shoes, color black with streaks of pink on the heal. I'm waiting for them to be delivered to see if I can get away with those at work.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter