The Running Thread--2024

February: 86.6 KM/ approx 54 miles
19 runs

This was month one of a new half marathon plan I'm trying to build up speed for my Dopey POT attempt in May (based on the old POT - trying to stay in B) so it was shorter runs - lots of intervals this month. March starts to add mileage.

February Totals
168 miles
34 hours, 4 minutes
29 days in a row!

Breakdown of run type by mileage on my modified Hanson's HM training plan
1709238596310.png

Big month-over-month fitness gains when comparing pace/HR data (black = Jan; red = Feb)
1709238706157.png

February: 86.6 KM/ approx 54 miles
19 runs

This was month one of a new half marathon plan I'm trying to build up speed for my Dopey POT attempt in May (based on the old POT - trying to stay in B) so it was shorter runs - lots of intervals this month. March starts to add mileage.
Good luck in your POT attempt. Please keep us updated with your progress.

February Miles = 105

Short month + Cold weather + No races planned + Little motivation to run more than 5 miles = A typical low mileage February for me. I did hit 72 consecutive months (6 year milestone) on my 100 mile per month streak. It is hard to believe that February 2018 was the last month I did not run at least 100 miles...

January Miles = 116

2024 Total = 221

My mileage was lower even though I was wrapping up Princess training. I moved at the beginning of the month and started a new job, which meant I pulled back on my runs and cut a mile off each one. I was trained from DL and wasn't going for time this past weekend.

I'm actually shifting gears the next couple months and focusing on strength training. I definitely feel like I've gotten stronger the past year since shifting programs and want to focus on that for the spring.

I'm actually shifting gears the next couple months and focusing on strength training. I definitely feel like I've gotten stronger the past year since shifting programs and want to focus on that for the spring.
I'd be interested to hear about your strength training program. I'm currently using the Sweat app, Kelsey Wells PWR Strength program, but I've been using Meg Squats (Meg Gallagher) Stronger by the Day programs on & off for the past couple of years.
I think strength, running, and yoga is the trifecta of longevity, but it's a bit of a mess for me trying to combine all three. o_O

February 2024 totals
Distance: 166.6km (104mi)
Average pace: 6m32s/km (10:32min/mi)
YTD: 329km on 2024km

It felt good to pick up the pace.
And I finally was able to push (i.e not hyper hot weather and between two races of a challenge) a 10k with official success.

I've been lurking on the running forums for a while. Glad to be posting. Y'all have been inspiring.

February 2024
79 miles
avg pace: 8:43 min / mile

December was the first month I started seriuosly training again. I had been casually running 2-3x per week since September but not really tracking. I'm running 5 times per week now. February was my first month trying some interval workouts, and I had my first race in years, a 49:07 10k!

Plan for March is to continue building miles, stay uninjured, and decide if I want to target a longer race to train for.
I'm nervous for Spring. I'm in Texas so the heat is about to start being a factor, and I do not like the treadmill.

Plan for March is to continue building miles, stay uninjured, and decide if I want to target a longer race to train for.
I'm nervous for Spring. I'm in Texas so the heat is about to start being a factor, and I do not like the treadmill.
As a long time resident of hot and humid locales (including Houston in the past), I feel your concern about the heat. I've found the best way to deal with it is to run right before and after sunrise when the humidity dips down, drop my pace significantly, and most importantly, track my fluid and salt loss to enable me to make sure I am fully replenished every day. My test results and data show that I lose about 1200mg of sodium per liter of sweat, and I lose about 1.7-1.9 liters per hour. That's a lot of salt and water to replace during a run or a ride, which is why I try to keep myself topped up so I'm not starting out at a deficit.

I've been lurking on the running forums for a while. Glad to be posting. Y'all have been inspiring.

February 2024
79 miles
avg pace: 8:43 min / mile

December was the first month I started seriuosly training again. I had been casually running 2-3x per week since September but not really tracking. I'm running 5 times per week now. February was my first month trying some interval workouts, and I had my first race in years, a 49:07 10k!

:welcome:

I think strength, running, and yoga is the trifecta of longevity, but it's a bit of a mess for me trying to combine all three.
I'm another one who is trying to do this. I have always done Vinyasa 2x/week--which definitely has a strength component (all those Chaturangas!) But these days, I am either foregoing 1 session to replace with strength, or trying to fit additional strength in. And then of course, there is rest--also importgant.

I thought it was eat, run, sleep
I like this trifecta better,

Dog jumped on my back while I was running
That is one agile dog! Is it yours? Hope it wasn't some "loose dog goes nuts" scenario.

My February saw a transition to an 8-week plan to at least attempt to make my Boston 5k slightly less plodding. It would appear that I have lost all of my "speed" (age weighted!) over the last few months. I also thought I was over the whole "you used to be able tun XX:YY for this distance" head games, but they linger. So it's a matter of picking a time to try and run that will salvage some of my pride, while not being out of the realm of possibility. Although given that there are 10,000 people running this race, I expect I will have a good excuse to just plod along after all. And it does give me the opportunity to do "Right on Hereford, Left on Boylston" one more time. (IYKYK)

Last edited:
I'd be interested to hear about your strength training program. I'm currently using the Sweat app, Kelsey Wells PWR Strength program, but I've been using Meg Squats (Meg Gallagher) Stronger by the Day programs on & off for the past couple of years.
I think strength, running, and yoga is the trifecta of longevity, but it's a bit of a mess for me trying to combine all three. o_O
I hear that! I use Peloton for strength and yoga, and even with training for shorter distances, I still struggle sometimes to fit everything in. I started a new job where I'm in the office full time, so I'm adjusting to that after 4 years of either fully remote, or hybrid.

I normally do yoga at least once a week, and during the week I try to do the shorter 20-minute classes where I can focus on my hips, but that's hit or miss. What I want to do with Peloton is do more of the total body strength classes instead of one day I do legs, one day I do barre, the other I do upper body and legs. Doing the total body will hit everything in 45 minutes, and I've already been sore from one of the classes.

My focus this spring has been to lose some weight and get back to running for time rather than distance and try to establish a new PoT. The last time I actually raced a race was in May of 2021, so it's been a challenge reintroducing more structured pacing and tempo runs. The good news is that I've been able to drop ~27# since Marathon Weekend and the pacing has come along nicely. I've got a half in two weeks to get a gauge on my progress. Here are February's numbers:

February Training Summary
Running Miles: 138.04
Running Time: 24:38:15
Average Pace: 0:10:43/mi (down from 12:00/mi in January)
Average HR: 149/min
YTD Mileage: 239.06 mi

Other
Walking Miles: 34.14
Rolling 12mo Miles: 1,392.71 mi

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter