The Running Thread -- 2022

ATTQOTD: TBH running big miles greatly decreases my appetite - I struggle to make sure I fuel the much higher calorie burn. I’m also primarily vegetarian and don’t like most junky stuff… um, there aren’t a lot of calories in broccoli. :rotfl: I try to add more complex carbs in by way of heartier bread choices in sandwiches. More bananas. More avocado. More frequent snacks/meals. Gotta fuel that marathon burn!

Has anyone used the Daniels' Fitness plans for base building? At this point, I'm just training to finish the Goofy Challenge and Princess Half Marathon upright. However, I'm planning on dedicating myself to a solid base building block following Princess. I was looking at Daniels' Red Intermediate Plan to be more conservative, but it doesn't seem to be a lot of running considering that most of the easy runs are 30 minutes. If anyone has used the Daniels' plan, did you find that it worked to sufficiently build your aerobic base? Alternatively, are there other base building plans that have worked well that one can recommend?

Has anyone used the Daniels' Fitness plans for base building? At this point, I'm just training to finish the Goofy Challenge and Princess Half Marathon upright. However, I'm planning on dedicating myself to a solid base building block following Princess. I was looking at Daniels' Red Intermediate Plan to be more conservative, but it doesn't seem to be a lot of running considering that most of the easy runs are 30 minutes. If anyone has used the Daniels' plan, did you find that it worked to sufficiently build your aerobic base? Alternatively, are there other base building plans that have worked well that one can recommend?

Never used his base building plans, but Daniels is a smart coach. McMillan is another good one (link). When I followed the 10 week "Introduction Phase" of the Canova training plan, his limit was no more than 60 min running a day, you did strides of about 10-15s in duration usually 1-2 times per week, and otherwise you weren't suppose to go faster than 70-80% Marathon Tempo. Based on the values you provided to me earlier and using Canova's math system, that's a 13-14 min/mile. The focus during the "introduction phase" was on HIIT strength training. Despite doing nothing hard, I was pretty pleased with where I was at coming out of that phase of training.

Anyone having any problems with their Garmin watch not automatically synching to to the Connect app? I feel like that when I first got my watch I never had to do anything. It automatically synched up. Now I am having to manually synch up the watch and the app everyday.

I’m going to Anaheim in a few weeks for a conference and signed up for a bootcamp class at DCA… has anyone done this? Am I going to survive? Haha.

Anyone having any problems with their Garmin watch not automatically synching to to the Connect app? I feel like that when I first got my watch I never had to do anything. It automatically synched up. Now I am having to manually synch up the watch and the app everyday.

Yes. It used to happen automatically, watch to iPhone, iPhone to Garmin website, Garmin to Strava.

Now, I have to bring up the Garmin app on the phone and click 'Sync', sometimes twice.

To be fair: Crappy cell signal, old Garmin 245, old iPhone 7, haven't updated the Garmin app lately.

No, not been having the problem with my Venu + Samsung Galaxy 22 phone. There are occasional days when it's clear that the Garmin server is having problems, but they are rare. I'd suggest a restart of one or both of phone/watch and maybe try repairing them on bluetooth.

No, not been having the problem with my Venu + Samsung Galaxy 22 phone. There are occasional days when it's clear that the Garmin server is having problems, but they are rare. I'd suggest a restart of one or both of phone/watch and maybe try repairing them on bluetooth.

I have tried restarts, hard restarts, delete app and re-download, etc. I think I started noticing this happen after the last update. I noticed the weather wasn't showing up on my watch. Looks like it was because my watch wasn't synching up.

I have tried restarts, hard restarts, delete app and re-download, etc. I think I started noticing this happen after the last update. I noticed the weather wasn't showing up on my watch. Looks like it was because my watch wasn't synching up.
Sounds like you and I are having some of the same issues. The weather started showing back up after updating the app, rebooting the watch, etc. The syncing is hit or miss for me. Some days it works very quickly. Yesterday it did it automatically but didn’t pop up for several hours. Sometimes I have to manually sync. My watch is 3 years old and gets constant use and my phone is close to the same age, maybe older.

I hate youth...

3-4 weeks ago, DD25 went into the hospital for outpatient surgery, had an allergic reaction to the anesthesia, and had to stay overnight. Last night she texts us and says "hey, I'm running the City of Oaks Marathon tomorrow!" Says she's sort of trained where she can over the last couple of months, but has been cutting the longer runs short, so her "long runs" have been more like "medium runs". I tell her to take it easy and not be afraid to walk sections, if needed, that it's better to be undertrained than injured on race day. She's run two previous marathons int the 6 hour range due to ankle and back injuries.

I get a text from her while I'm out on my run this morning. She finished in 3:39!! That's only 9 minutes off a BQ for her!

Now you know why I hate youth.

And couldn't be prouder of my daughter!

I hate youth...

3-4 weeks ago, DD25 went into the hospital for outpatient surgery, had an allergic reaction to the anesthesia, and had to stay overnight. Last night she texts us and says "hey, I'm running the City of Oaks Marathon tomorrow!" Says she's sort of trained where she can over the last couple of months, but has been cutting the longer runs short, so her "long runs" have been more like "medium runs". I tell her to take it easy and not be afraid to walk sections, if needed, that it's better to be undertrained than injured on race day. She's run two previous marathons int the 6 hour range due to ankle and back injuries.

I get a text from her while I'm out on my run this morning. She finished in 3:39!! That's only 9 minutes off a BQ for her!

That’s only 21 minutes longer than my running time from W&D half today! I hate youth too, and I’m not that much older than her 🤣🤣

Good for her!

I hate youth...

Awesome!!!!!!

I hate youth...

I ran City of Oaks today also! I only finished a little over an hour after her!

Mine has never been automatic but I leave the Bluetooth radio off on both my phone and watch unless I'm using it. Now I just do a WiFi sync most of the time unless there is an update.

I hate youth...

That is awesome!! It was not a nice day to run a marathon(or a half).

I started the half and tapped out at mile 4 when the course was still near the start/finish line area. My first DNF after 80 or so races.

That is awesome!! It was not a nice day to run a marathon(or a half).

I started the half and tapped out at mile 4 when the course was still near the start/finish line area. My first DNF after 80 or so races.
Sorry to hear that! I had hoped to be out there, too, but the leg issues this past month put the brakes on that!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter