The Running Thread -- 2022

I won a contest for accommodations and entry to the London marathon. This January and February, I’m doing the Goofy Challenge and the Princess Half Marathon. @DopeyBadger Do you think that I could feasibly train for London in April or should I pass up this prize?
What a fabulous prize! London is super tough to get into so take advantage of this chance if you have any desire to run it.

I won a contest for accommodations and entry to the London marathon. This January and February, I’m doing the Goofy Challenge and the Princess Half Marathon. @DopeyBadger Do you think that I could feasibly train for London in April or should I pass up this prize?
Holy cow that's amazing!

Also, how did you win it and also, how do I enter for next year?

Wow that was an emotional roller coaster (for me lol). Hopefully they didn't get any info from you?
Sorry for the emotional travail. The actual contest was through The Running Channel. It's a YouTube channel all about running based in London. They're quite informative and almost always entertaining. Anyway, they had a sweepstakes contest to win a spot in the London Marathon sponsored by Sports Tours. This scam used their name and logo trying to get people to give them their credit card information. I self-admittedly put the cart before the horse and began looking up airfare, then posted here before I even responded to this message saying that I won. That is when I discovered the scam when the site that they set up required credit card information. Oh well! As Bill Belichick would say, "We're on to Marathon Weekend."

Oct Totals

Total Miles - 130.2 miles
Total Time - 19.6 hours
Average Pace - 9:01 min/miles
Avg HR - 156 bpm

Delurking myself after a while away from the boards. Had a hard time getting through training this summer and was having a hard time getting excited for upcoming races.

I'd been signed up for this year's Marine Corps Marathon on Oct 30th since November 2019 since both 2020 and 2021 marathons went virtual, so was determined to finally complete that this year. I halfheartedly got through marathon training (never hit any of the 3 hour runs I was supposed to, would mentally tap out at the 2.5 hour mark and was well below weekly mileage I should've done), but I figured I'd do the race for fun and then after Dopey in January not plan for any more marathons until I started enjoying training again.

Lo and behold, I enjoyed MCM so much that it's completely reawakened my motivation to run again. Taking a week off, then looking forward to ramping up in training this month for Dopey. (And the decision to not sign up for any more races lasted exactly until the day after MCM, when I signed up for Chicago marathon next year....)

Cant say I expected the NYC Marathon weather to come close to what we had during WDW MW but we’re looking at a high of 74 degrees over here, yow.
That sounds lovely to me. Then again, I'm used to running in 80's in November.

That sounds lovely to me. Then again, I'm used to running in 80's in November.
Drop it down just below 70 and it would be perfect for me, at this level Im slightly concerned about heat issues but it should be fine, I’ll adjust if needed. But also I’ll take this over the early projections of rain.

Drop it down just below 70 and it would be perfect for me, at this level Im slightly concerned about heat issues but it should be fine, I’ll adjust if needed. But also I’ll take this over the early projections of rain.
Good luck! I hope that you crush it.

ATTQOTD: For an actually helpful answer...

Increasing my intake strategically has helped with the cravings. I still get them, but they're not as bad. Overall, I've increased my daily calories every day, even on rest days. That has helped the most. It did take some trial and error - I started with slightly more breakfast, then added a light snack.

One other thing that helps me is eating within 20-30 minutes of finishing a workout. Sometimes I have very little appetite especially if it was a really hard workout, but I make it a point to eat my normal breakfast after I'm done. For me, this works a lot better than what I used to do - eat breakfast before running, then run a little later in the morning. That resulted in more cravings.

Whatever you do, I'd recommend eating more fiber like @SheHulk said, plus a good amount of fruits and vegetables. I eat 3-4 servings of each per day.

ATTQOTD: to add to @striker1064 's answer, the thing that also helped me was a slightly bigger breakfast with at least 20g of protein. I wasn't eating enough protein in the morning

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter