The Running Thread -- 2022

April Totals

Total Miles - 139.86 mi
Total Time - 19:42:53 h:m:s
Average Pace - 8:27
Avg HR - 140 bpm

3 half marathons during the month. Blue Bell I did a report on. The following week I did Vintage Park half, which was a redemption race from last years humid bonk-fest. Last year was a 1:52 and this year was a 1:39:30 good for 3rd in age group 30/377 overall and the podium awards were growlers that could be filled by the sponsor brewery for the race. Two week later was Vintage half. This was the race that used to run at Vintage Park, but the facility only wanted the previous RD to run races at Vintage Park, so the owners of the Bayou City Half series moved to a nearby HS for the start/finish. This was a nasty summertime hot.humid race and started at a decent pace and was passed my many folks. I ended up passing most of these people by mile 9 as they faded. I finished in a 1:42:30, 1st in AG, 30/525 overall

Now I move on to maintenance mode for the summer time and try to determine what I want to do for the fall.

Goodbye April....that is all I care to say about the month. This morning--while hobbling about on crutches as my right foot (very) slowly heals, I managed to twist the wrong way on my left foot. So yeah, now I can barely walk.

At least Liverpool won. And now I have nothing better to do than watch Man City.

April Totals
205.36 miles
7:20 avg/mile

Did the Pittsburgh Kids Marathon (1 mile) with my brother, SIL and three nieces this morning. Easily one of my favorite races of the year, had a blast. Perfect weather for it too. Tomorrow morning is supposed to be rainy and 55 with chances of thunderstorms for the full and half. Try to make hay with whatever the weather is.

April Total = 63 miles

I ran a local 10k with my daughter in April. She got a POT for Princess and a 14 minute PR! It was way more stressful pacing her for a POT than when its just me running.

Looking forward to a half in May. It will be the first half I've raced since Oct 2020. I feel like I'm slightly faster now, so hoping for a PR. My current half PR is a 10:01 pace. I'm hoping for something that starts with a 9!

April running
Total distance: 112.2 miles
Average pace: 10:53/mi

Tomorrow is my peak long run before my half marathon in 2 weeks. Nothing to report besides being tired & crabby & ready for a break. On the bright side, I'm ready for a PR in the half also! I haven't run a half for a time goal since November 2018! I've gotten much faster at every other distance since then though so I'm hoping a PR is in the bag. Excited to see what I can do... and then rest :)

ATTQOTD: For training run, warmup is just running very slow for one or two kilometres. My plans have a cool down period as well. What I really struggle with is to do my stretches and to foam roll. Typically, for weekday runs, I have a choice to make between eating lunch, showering, stretching and making it on time to the next meeting. My massotherapist says that it is ok to do the stretches later that night… Still working on that.

I am better with the routine when racing because it is part of the event!

April Miles = 115

Getting to 100 miles this month was a bit of a challenge with a Disney trip during the first week of the month and a positive Covid test during the second week when I returned from FL. Like many of us who have been vaccinated/boosted, the infection was relatively mild and I was able to get back out on the roads to keep my 100 miles per month streak going - currently it is at 50 straight months.

January Miles = 139
February Miles = 108
March Miles = 145

2022 total miles = 507

April Running

Miles:
Time: 16:11:31
Avg HR: 147
Avg Pace: 10:16

If I knew I was going to come up 5.23 miles short of 100, I would have added in another run last week or this week. As it was, I didn't notice until after today's 6 miles, and I wasn't going out again.

Not that it really matters, I just like seeing the number. :)

Just basically in maintenance mode until I start Dopey training in September.

Quick Boston question for those of you that have run it. In a few days my window will open up for booking through Marriott. I've heard you should book early with a refundable rate to try and lock in something less that terrible. What do you Boston veterans think? It will be our first time to Boston the city and while the race will be the focus we want to do a little sight seeing. Would you recommend heading there Thursday or Friday? I'll probably fly home Tuesday since my son's break will be the week before so it is easier to go a day or two early than to stay a day or two late.

I'm assuming the closest to the finish line as possible is ideal and that will be partially dictated by hotel rates though compared to Disney rates even within a mile might not be bad. Other than staying as close to the finish as possible any other areas of Boston that would make it easy to get to the race weekend stuff, to the start, and back from the finish that might not be obvious? I know nothing about Boston and haven't started doing any research yet. I wanted to mine the hive from people that have been there.

Thanks in advance for any help.

April running
Total distance: 112.2 miles
Average pace: 10:53/mi

Tomorrow is my peak long run before my half marathon in 2 weeks. Nothing to report besides being tired & crabby & ready for a break. On the bright side, I'm ready for a PR in the half also! I haven't run a half for a time goal since November 2018! I've gotten much faster at every other distance since then though so I'm hoping a PR is in the bag. Excited to see what I can do... and then rest :)
Good luck. Please keep us updated.

Quick Boston question for those of you that have run it. In a few days my window will open up for booking through Marriott. I've heard you should book early with a refundable rate to try and lock in something less that terrible. What do you Boston veterans think? It will be our first time to Boston the city and while the race will be the focus we want to do a little sight seeing. Would you recommend heading there Thursday or Friday? I'll probably fly home Tuesday since my son's break will be the week before so it is easier to go a day or two early than to stay a day or two late.

I'm assuming the closest to the finish line as possible is ideal and that will be partially dictated by hotel rates though compared to Disney rates even within a mile might not be bad. Other than staying as close to the finish as possible any other areas of Boston that would make it easy to get to the race weekend stuff, to the start, and back from the finish that might not be obvious? I know nothing about Boston and haven't started doing any research yet. I wanted to mine the hive from people that have been there.

I stay at the "Family" hotel, so no experience with MW specifically. I have stayed at the Marriott Copley Place before (within the last few years). It's fine, and obviously very convenient, as is the Courtyard Copley Square. Anything in the Copley Square area would be convenient. Prices will be semi, if not downright, outrageous. That area is also well placed for tourism--Boston is a smaller city and you can get to where you need to go pretty easily. If the rates are really nuts, you could look at hotels in Cambridge just across the river. Marriott has places in Kendall Square. It's on the Red Line.

As for timing, depends on how much of a tourist you want to be and how you want to save your legs. The Freedom Trail is always good for first timers/history buffs. MFA or Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum for Art, Harvard Sq (Cambridge) for......Harvard & its Museums, tour of Fenway--(Sox always play a home game at 11 am on Patriot's Day).

April total: 103.3 miles

This is my highest April ever. Usually I start tapering down by this point to ride out the heat of the summer. But with Dopey on the horizon, I committed to maintaining a good base so I can start marathon training in good shape. I will say I am already dreading this type of mileage for the next few months. It will only get hotter from here and probably won’t see any relief until October. A friend recommended partially filling my hydration vest and freezing it the night before. I tried this yesterday and it was really nice! It’s a little stiff when you first put it on as the ice isn’t quite back-shaped. But it’s not too noticeable after a few minutes and the cool on my back and having cold water to drink was amazing! That and a ton of sunscreen will be what gets me through the next few months!

April
Total miles: 110.59
Avg pace: 7:42

Closer the better but prices get steep!

We flew in on Friday. How old is your son? Since I wasn’t concerned with racing it, we did a lot of family friendly activities.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter