The Running Thread - 2019

DD (11yo) started her second running season a month ago. We have a 5k next weekend, another one in August and then the 5k and 10k during Marathon Weekend in January. Last year, she would have a cramp on her side or belly only when pushing really hard during a race. These days, it happens during almost every training run, even if going really slow. She seems hydrated enough. Any general suggestions?

More specifically, I am trying to see if run/walk intervals would be easier on her. Which one do you recommend to start? 3min/30sec? We plan on character stops at WDW so run/walk seems fitting anyway.

So, I am thinking about converting my November 50k to it’s 50 miler variant. I am not sure if I really want to do it or if it’s l’appel du vide flirting with me again.

My theory is this: if you didn't want to do the 50 miler, you wouldn't have posted this.

But you did. Because you want to be talked into it.

Dance with the flirt.

DD (11yo) started her second running season a month ago. We have a 5k next weekend, another one in August and then the 5k and 10k during Marathon Weekend in January. Last year, she would have a cramp on her side or belly only when pushing really hard during a race. These days, it happens during almost every training run, even if going really slow. She seems hydrated enough. Any general suggestions?

More specifically, I am trying to see if run/walk intervals would be easier on her. Which one do you recommend to start? 3min/30sec? We plan on character stops at WDW so run/walk seems fitting anyway.

I'm no expert, but @DopeyBadger is. I think side cramps have to do with the breathing pattern. He has me do 2 breaths in, 3 breaths out, and it has pretty much eliminated any stitches that I used to get.

I am dealing with this with my 10 yo DD. Our run yesterday was plagued with side stitch. Stomach fullness seems to play a part, as does hydration. But there also seems to be a mental component, to where the fear of it occurring causes poor breathing technique which in turn causes the side stitch to occur... a self-fulfilling result. In fact I am certain, for my daughter at least, the mental aspect is the biggest contributor. We tried to start out with interval training (A couch to 5k program), and she would get so worked up about it, that she would start getting side stitches during the warm up walk due to her basically hyperventilating in fear of getting side stitch. We switched to a no pressure/no structure just run approach, and I work hard to keep her mind on other things especially at the beginning of the run while we are warming up/finding our rhythm, and the occurrences have dropped way down. But if she has a reason to think she is at risk for it that day (too big of a snack, not enough water for the day) it is almost guaranteed to occur.

Agree with others. Side stitches are usually breathing, hydration, and sometimes whether a meal was too close to run time. Is this side stitch always on the same side? Because if so, then it could be a breathing issue where she is always breathing in/out on the same step on the same side. So if you switch which side is the in/out that can help. That's what @steph0808 uses now with a 2 step in, 3 step out which then alternates the step on when the in/out commences.

As for run/walk, if you can tell me a recent race result (mile, 3k, 5k, etc.) and her walking pace, then I can give you some starting point ideas for run/walk pacing.

Reese’s - preferably the seasonal shape (tree, pumpkin, egg) because that have a much better peanut butter to chocolate ratio!

You speak truth.
I clearly recall the first time I saw a tree or pumpkin, as I believe in this case the egg came first, and I was unreasonably excited. And now I will be running to the store to stock up on sale egg shaped Reese's.

Reese’s - preferably the seasonal shape (tree, pumpkin, egg) because that have a much better peanut butter to chocolate ratio!
As a marketing person, I loved Reese's "All trees are Beautiful"/ Stop Tree Shaming campaign that they flipped to when people on twitter were saying their christmas trees looked like little turds.

No kids, but I do love me some jelly beans, especially the black licorice ones.
Black Licorice? Even with kids you might not have to fight for that.

So, I am thinking about converting my November 50k to it’s 50 miler variant. I am not sure if I really want to do it or if it’s l’appel du vide flirting with me again.
I'll chime in with go ahead and switch to the 50 Miler. All your doing is converting from Metric to English. You aren't even changing the number. How much harder can it be? once you've run 30 miles what's 20 more?

My theory is this: if you didn't want to do the 50 miler, you wouldn't have posted this.

Dance with the flirt.

I'll chime in with go ahead and switch to the 50 Miler. All your doing is converting from Metric to English. You aren't even changing the number. How much harder can it be? once you've run 30 miles what's 20 more?

In the immortal words of the goddess Nike: "Just Do It!"

Wait, what do you mean it was a different Nike that said that? :confused3

Just be ready for that rush when you hit 26 miles and think "wow, I just ran a marathon", followed by the inevitable crash when the thought continues to "but I'm only halfway!?!?" :scared1:

Dance with the flirt.

THIS!!!

Also, I have a confession to make about candy... I do not like any form of Reese's. There I said it lol. In fact any candy with any type of nut is on my do not eat list. Not because I am allergic, I just dont like nuts. I also do not like any type of bean, red beans, white beans, black and even peas. I'm weird...

QOTD: Today I am calling all "lurkers" to join me. If you have been reading this thread any, it means you have some interest in starting running and I encourage you to start with me this week. I'll explain more in my answer. So the question for today is, if you are thinking about starting to run or have taken a extended period off and looking for motivation, then as the second version of the COP would say, "Now is the time...". Will you join me?

ATTQOTD: After halfway training for the WDW marathon and posting a 2+ hour personal worse and next to no running since, I decided to start over. Last night I started Couch to 5k, and I encourage those who are looking to start to download one of the many apps out there and start with me this week!

ATTQOTD: I am less a lurker than a very inconsistent contributer. I am on a running break post Rival Run Challenge as my knee is giving me problems. I think it's my IT band and it has been going on since the half I ran in early March. At that point it took higher mileage to flare and be painful... post Star Wars it's any distance. New shoes will be in order as well as I came home with two black toenails. Honestly, you'd think I hadn't ever done this before.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter