The Running Thread - 2016

As I'm sure @Ariel484 knew I would say, start doing yoga. It will give you strength, but more importantly, it will give you flexibility and stretching relief in your back and hips. Runners are very prone to being overly tight in many areas of the body, and yoga will help keep things flexible and loose.
I will second that. I started doing yoga after the 5th or 6th time it was suggested and it has definitely improved things.

QOTD: What goal do you have that seems so far away that you haven't mentioned to anybody because it just seems to be so far out of reach. It could be a time goal / distance / event / ect.
I would like to do a Half-Ironman. Aside from my bike related fears (which are getting better) I worry I'll never be able to justify the cost of purchasing and maintaining even an entry level road bike. I've told family/friends I want to do a sprint tri but I haven't convinced myself I could do much more than that since bikes are expensive. I also kind of want to do an Ultra one day. I want to see how doing a marathon goes first though.

ATTQOTD: There are some half marathons that I want to do and possibly a full at some point. In reality, I would be really happy if I were consistent and stayed running. So far so good, but the real test will be the cold season (live in WI). The princess 10k should keep me accountable though and I'm still enjoying the accomplishments.

I finished the C25K app last week (even went on two runs while we were vacationing in S.C.), so now working on transitioning to a 10k plan. I did a 4 mile run on Sun and trying to figure out which plan to use as there is a 10k in the middle of Oct that I am thinking about registering for. I think after that I might use a half marathon plan for my Disney Princess races (5k and 10k) as I want to make sure the legs are ready for the back to back and park time after. I am leaning towards Hal Higdion's novice 10k plan, but open to suggestions.

QOTD: What goal do you have that seems so far away that you haven't mentioned to anybody because it just seems to be so far out of reach. It could be a time goal / distance / event / ect.

A BQ, probably. I like my pizza and beer too much to make the sacrifice to get my speed down to where it needs to be. I'll stick with getting older but not slower and let a BQ come to me. :)

ATTQOTD: One goal of mine that I haven't discussed at length even here, and not at all with anyone I know IRL because its far off from happening and I haven't hit my primary goal yet. That goal is to finish a IronMan. The two that are nearish to me is the Woodlands IM in TX or Panama City Beach, FL. My BIL actually lives in the Woodlands so that one would probably work out the best. I am nearing 33 and my goal is to complete the IM on or before my 40th birthday. By the time I am 40 how many children I have at that point should be old enough to where I could get in the proper amount of training and DW may not kill me.

I've been told that when completing a IM, the marathon isn't nearly as bad training wise as training for a marathon alone.... at least that's what I been told.

While I haven't done either IMTX or IMFL yet, I chose IMFL for my first IM because the weather in Panama City in Nov is generally more pleasant than in Houston in May. They might be moving IMTX to April, but even then it's pretty warm and humid. Could be something you want to factor into your entry decision in a year or two. :)

Smaller, more attainable goal
  • Race an early-season Ironman 70.3 (aka a Half Ironman) to qualify for the 2017 70.3 World Championship in Chattanooga
Bigger goals
  • Qualify and race in the Ironman World Championship in Kona Hawaii
  • Race Boston again and go sub-3. Feel like I have unfinished business there and the more I think back to that day the more I frustrated I get that I didn't race to my potential. Based on my training I had a completely legit shot at running around 2:55 but the conditions on race day killed everyone's chances of 'fast' times. Most people were about 15 minutes slower than they had expected and I would love to get another crack at that course.
ATTQOTD: One goal of mine that I haven't discussed at length even here, and not at all with anyone I know IRL because its far off from happening and I haven't hit my primary goal yet. That goal is to finish a IronMan. The two that are nearish to me is the Woodlands IM in TX or Panama City Beach, FL. My BIL actually lives in the Woodlands so that one would probably work out the best. I am nearing 33 and my goal is to complete the IM on or before my 40th birthday. By the time I am 40 how many children I have at that point should be old enough to where I could get in the proper amount of training and DW may not kill me.

I've been told that when completing a IM, the marathon isn't nearly as bad training wise as training for a marathon alone.... at least that's what I been told.

Awesome. There is no reason you couldn't do it...I'll say this much, anyone that is able to do the serious training required to run a marathon (even more so, the Dopey) is able to do the training required for Ironman. The training cycle is longer, but the load is similar. The toughest part is making time for the long bike rides, because they are looooong. The training itself though is so much easier on the body than marathon training. @FFigawi is doing IMFL, we'll have to see how he rates the experience! I hear Woodlands is pretty good too, but it can get really hot there.

I would like to do a Half-Ironman. Aside from my bike related fears (which are getting better) I worry I'll never be able to justify the cost of purchasing and maintaining even an entry level road bike. I've told family/friends I want to do a sprint tri but I haven't convinced myself I could do much more than that since bikes are expensive. I also kind of want to do an Ultra one day. I want to see how doing a marathon goes first though.

Yay, another runner catching the tri-bug! I can't recommend triathlon enough to runners...the BEST cross-training you can get. Biking and swimming are just so much easier on the body than running 5 or 6 days a week. Can you borrow a bike from someone to do a Sprint? A lot of the races around here also offer a "Try-a-Tri", which is half the Sprint distance...my first race was a try a tri on a borrowed road bike. I enjoyed it enough to get my own bike and continue on...I found a deal at the big box sports store and got a road bike for $400 which I still own today. Nothing fancy but gets the job done. We all have to start somewhere!

While I haven't done either IMTX or IMFL yet, I chose IMFL for my first IM because the weather in Panama City in Nov is generally more pleasant than in Houston in May. They might be moving IMTX to April, but even then it's pretty warm and humid. Could be something you want to factor into your entry decision in a year or two. :)

Looks like you beat me to it...

I would also like to give IMFL a try some day. I like a few more hills on my bike though, I find that flat courses are a lot harder than people think. The thing about hill climbs is that there is usually a descent as well, while a flat course you are cranking away the whole time.

ATTQOTD: Goal only spoken of here is Dopey, preferably 2018. If all goes according to plan it would be my 3rd marathon. In my head I am kicking around the goal of completing an ultra. But, I can't decide if its a real goal for me, or more something I want to be able I said I did versus something I truly want to do. I think once I finish my first marathon in the spring I will be able to better decide.

I also wish I could get back into Tris. My husband is an avid cyclist, and I am hoping maybe in 3 or 4 years when we can leave our kids on their own for an hour or two, we could do some cycling together. I do not know why but even though I love and prefer to run on my own, I hate cycling on my own. My best cycling buddy moved a year ago and I have not been on my bike since. Swimming I enjoy, though I like pools more than open water:)

That's a pretty nice understatement. They really shouldn't schedule anything in Texas unless it's in October through February. Maybe first couple of weeks in March.

ATTQOTD: It's more fantasy than goal, and I haven't hid it from anyone because I'm an open book that way, but since watching the documentary on it, I have this weird desire to do the Barkley Marathons. I'm not sure what it says about me that the only thing I find truly terrifying about it is the prospect of getting cut up by thorns... I also have a fantasy/death wish about running Badwater and Leadville. :rotfl2:

ATTQOTD: It's more fantasy than goal, and I haven't hid it from anyone because I'm an open book that way, but since watching the documentary on it, I have this weird desire to do the Barkley Marathons. I'm not sure what it says about me that the only thing I find truly terrifying about it is the prospect of getting cut up by thorns... I also have a fantasy/death wish about running Badwater and Leadville. :rotfl2:
How do people not die at Badwater? Heck I was scared driving it (really pretty drive though).

Yay, another runner catching the tri-bug! I can't recommend triathlon enough to runners...the BEST cross-training you can get. Biking and swimming are just so much easier on the body than running 5 or 6 days a week. Can you borrow a bike from someone to do a Sprint? A lot of the races around here also offer a "Try-a-Tri", which is half the Sprint distance...my first race was a try a tri on a borrowed road bike. I enjoyed it enough to get my own bike and continue on...I found a deal at the big box sports store and got a road bike for $400 which I still own today. Nothing fancy but gets the job done. We all have to start somewhere!

I can't agree with this enough. The cross training is easier on the body (though you still get just as tired :)), and the cycling even improves your running. And as Mike said, you don't need a fancy bike to start out. I know people who compete in sprints with mountain bikes or old road bikes they've had sitting around. Even if you do want to get a new road bike, look at Craigslist for one that will be new-to-you. There are always people selling bikes they bought but never ride. You can pick one up relatively inexpensively and use the savings for a bike fit from a local bike shop and some comfortable cycling gear.

Looks like you beat me to it...

I would also like to give IMFL a try some day. I like a few more hills on my bike though, I find that flat courses are a lot harder than people think. The thing about hill climbs is that there is usually a descent as well, while a flat course you are cranking away the whole time.

When you do all your training on a trainer in your living room, a flat course is almost a perfect match for your training. Not that I really enjoy all the time I spend in my living room, but there should be a payoff in a few months.

ATTQOTD: As I mentioned a few pages back, my goal that seems out of reach is doing a full marathon. I'm sure I could do it, but it would definitely require a change in my approach to training. The more I think about it, I'll keep the goal out there for some day, but I may just stick to halfs for now as my greatest distance and focus on time improvement for that.

When you do all your training on a trainer in your living room, a flat course is almost a perfect match for your training. Not that I really enjoy all the time I spend in my living room, but there should be a payoff in a few months.

Excellent point!

I've briefly mentioned it before but I want to open a running training center and start my own futuristic racing series. I want to open a training location that mixes scientific research, elite training, new to running training, the place where people come to become the best they can be no matter their level of goal/achievement. First thing I need to do is win the lottery because my ideas would be expensive. But if I won the lottery, I would offer scholarships to help offset the costs for others to come learn/train there. I want to help coach all levels of athletes from kids, to teens, to adults, to pros, to new older runners, a place where everyone feels welcome no matter their goal or levels of achievement. But I'd also like to mix in a ton of scientific research because I like what's out there, but there could be so much more. There isn't a lot of funding for athletic research (not comparatively at least for good reason), but I'd like to see what I could do. I'm in no rush to get this place started, it's something that will probably have to happen organically on its own.

Do you recommend any online streaming programs or DVDs or is there a specific style of yoga you like? The ones I've tried at my gym I didn't feel looser afterwards, I think they were more gentle and meditative. I've looked into some local yoga only studios but their class schedules are not something I can do. I'm a SAHM and the studios I've found have classes for the before and after work crowds, which I get, just doesn't work for me.

I'm a big yoga fan too and www.yogajournal.com has a variety of yoga sequences as well. I highly recommend taking classes at a studio to familiarize yourself with the poses and alignment with a certified teacher if you are new to yoga. Many of the online classes and DVD's don't always focus enough on alignment, which is important to get the full benefit from each pose and also not to injure yourself. Also, don't dismiss gentle & meditative yoga, it can have the same benefits as power yoga, and it is often what people need the most. :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter