The Running Thread - 2016

QOTD: Anyone have any tricks when motivation is lacking… the bed magnet is incredibly strong or you don’t feel like going for other reasons? What keeps you going? What do you think of to make you determined to get out there?

ATTQOTD: I got nothing, because I currently don't feel like getting out the door for a run. Not sure why, but I just feel tired every afternoon and motivation is lacking big time!

Been away, but I love this question, because the question of motivation has always fascinated me. None of us is getting paid to do this (at least I'm not), and we're probably not famous (again, I KNOW I'm not!), so why do we do this? In the middle of a race when it's really painful, I've asked myself that same question plenty of times. A big motivation for me is that running has given me so much, most of which I'll lose if I quit. I'm at a healthy weight, and I've been there for 3+ years, and things which used to seem 'hard' I now know not to be hard at all anymore - things like marathons, etc. And I love that my interest in running has influenced so many others in my extended family to try to go beyond their comfort zone and make positive changes for their health. My wife has now run 3 half marathons, and my son, nephew, two sisters-in-law, two brothers, and one brother-in-law have all run one or more half marathons. It's a huge thrill to see friends and family do things which they didn't think they could do a year ago.

On a day to day basis, it can be hard to summon the motivation sometimes - I've certainly been there (especially now, when it's cold). To motivate myself, I'm a sucker for YouTube motivational videos people have made and posted. I've got a ton of them bookmarked, and I'll watch them to 'psych' myself up. One of my favorites:
. I also re-read some of my favorite motivational quotes, like:
  • "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare."
    -Juma Ikangaa, 1989 NYC Marathon winner
I'll look at some of my medals from past events and remember that if I want the medal, I've got to put in the miles. Best of luck to you, LSUlakes, and everyone else to get out there and find your greatness! We can all do so much more than we can imagine sometimes.

QOTD: Are you going to watch the Olympic trials for the marathon today?
ATTQOTD: Yes! Hope to watch it live but may not be home yet.

Yes! At least the first portion - unfortunately we'll be at a funeral when the qualifiers finish.

Interested to see how things shake out as the weather appears to be very steamy today in LA, but it will be a good litmus test for Rio.

Didn't realize they were today (even though I've been reading articles about it , doh)
Hope I can find them.

And here's a pic of my one time runner box. Any favorites by people in here. I already used the stinger waffle today.image.jpg

Watching it right now. Five years ago me would never believe I am watching this; leave alone actually being aware of who many of the runners are.

Didn't realize they were today (even though I've been reading articles about it , doh)
Hope I can find them.

And here's a pic of my one time runner box. Any favorites by people in here. I already used the stinger waffle today.View attachment 151217

How did you like the Honey Stinger Waffle? That was one of the first fuels I tried. Liked the taste but really disliked the dryness and chewiness as I was running. I love the Honey Stinger gummies, though, especially cherry cola and limeade.

Galen Rupp wins with about 2:11:12 that's his first marathon and he wins
The guy in second is 40 years old! 2:12:20
Third place and final Olympic qualifier 2:12:58

I know the Star Wars half marathon winner from Disneyland was also running and in the lead early on I don't know where he will end up.

For those who had a race today, how did it go? Good luck to those running tomorrow!

Today's 10k went well enough. Only was able to hold pace for the first 2.5 miles and lost steam. That's what happens for taking time off and eating like a pig. Unofficial time was 47:08

Yep! My high school lab partner is running in the women's race. It's her 3rd Olympic trials. I kept hoping they might show some of the rest of the field, but she's not in the front 20, so I didn't see her. It looked HOT out there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter