• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread - 2016

How do y'all time intervals when you're doing training? Every plan for beginners of course suggests to do x mins walking/y mins jogging, and that definitely works for me, but I just wanted to know what your favorite apps were (especially the ones that talk to you/work well when listening to Spotify!) or whatever other kind of methods. I don't want to have to count to 60 over and over while I'm trying to focus!

The free RunKeeper app will do intervals. Just set up a custom workout and set whatever intervals you like. Voila!

Welcome. I am glad so many people have decided to come out of hiding. But I have a question for you or any other lurker. I get being insecure about running. Why insecure about posting on this thread though? We can't see you and we are here to help? I am just curious. I am not trying to make anyone feel stupid for feeling insecure, I am just wondering. Hopefully I don't offend anyone with that question?

For me I used posting as a reward for moving from a "getting my general fittness back" phase (learning to walk a few miles every day) to actually running. Then once I got there I didn't exactly know where to jump in lol! I also deal with social anxiety and the Internet can be a scary place, but this thread has been so welcoming and helpful to everyone who has posted so I feel pretty safe posting here

I follow a few running-related things on social media but don't contribute much. My favorite thing is probably when a race has designated hashtags. I like to see what others have posted on Twitter or Instagram! More lurking!! :D

This is so me! I get so excited for rundisney weekends because I spend every spare moment looking at the pictures posted in the hashtag on instagram. :cloud9:

So does your wife even recognize you when she sees you. You must never be home. :teeth: Great work.

LOL, thanks! The main rule is that I must be present for all family activities (running can not be an excuse). So if we've got something to do at 8am, then I start running at 3am. If we have something that lasts till 9pm, then I run at 10pm. Most days, this isn't an issue though as I just run for 90 min once I get home from work. We live close to work. So the commute is short and we commute together. So that definitely opens up the rest of the day as well. It's important to keep in perspective for myself that to me running is my hobby, but my family is my life.

PS - She said "Yea, I barely recognize you. When did you get that scar?" LOL!

July totals:

Running Miles - 99.71
Running Time - 17:39:04
Average Pace - 10:43/mile

Completed all the runs on my plan except one ended 2.5 miles short due to a thunderstorm. Things really start ramping up in August, though...

Edit: I really hate how the Garmin Connect site cuts things off early! Missed a 6 miler on July 1st in my monthly summary. Now I'm really aggravated that the Tuesday run got cut short and cost me my 100 mile month!

Last edited:

QOTD: With the Olympic games starting this month, what event are you looking forward to watching the most?

ATTQOTD: It's a hard decision with so many good events taking place. I am very interested in watching the Marathon on August 21.

July Totals:
146.86 Miles
21:06:31 Total time

Great job everyone in July, yall are doing great! This is a new July total high for me. I hope to do the same or more this month.

Hi everyone! I'm trying this running thing AGAIN... I started Couch 2 5k back in March and got a good bit in, and had signed up for my first 5K here in Atlanta, but then a whole lot of unforeseeable financial issues popped up, I bought a house, my ankle was bothering me, etc etc etc. Basically, my excuses snowballed into something that I couldn't figure out how to battle. :sad2: So a few weeks ago, my wife told me I had to go back to the gym or she was going to stop paying for it, and I really like my gym, so I've been going several times a week. Two days ago I decided I really really wanted to do a rundisney race, and have been trying to figure out how to pay for it. I had my heart set on princess weekend, but the timing just isn't good for us. So this morning I got the thumbs up that we can do the Dark Side weekend in April! And that's pretty much all the motivation I need. Immediately upon deciding that, I hit the gym for the first official C25K workout... and it totally killed me. I had to give up halfway through. That's how incredibly out of shape I am! I know that April is a while away, so I definitely want to make sure I get a few 5Ks in before then, but right now I just wanted to find a place where I could get some kind of support! My friends and family are excellent, but they have NO idea why I would subject myself to running :rolleyes2 So here I am! I'm really excited to find this little community here on the Disboards. And if you're in Atlanta and know of a good 5K for a beginner sometime in October or November, I'm all ears!

When I started running again I also started out using c25k app. I was not able to complete the first day on the first try. I kept repeating it until I could and then moved on to the next one. Running is one of those things that takes a little time to enjoy. I promise though, if you stick with it, it will get much easier and running will be a relaxing activity. Some days will be more difficult than others, but its all worth it. Those days that seem the most difficult will one day be a easy run for you. Good luck and welcome to the thread. Feel free to ask any questions you may have and it highly likely someone here has experienced the same thing as you and can help work out the issue.

Good question. For me it's mainly that as someone very new to running, I've learned so much from reading the posts but haven't had anything very insightful to add. I've been more active on the Facebook pages where I could throw my 2 cents in for what it's worth, but this forum seemed a little more intimidating - probably due partly to my tech-illiteracy. Right now I'm not even sure if I'm quoting you and replying correctly :-) But everyone has always seemed very kind (one of the things I've found to be true about runDisney folks all over and even the running community in general) so I figured I'd chime in at the Calling-Of-The-Lurkers

See I did that wrong... going back to fix quote... ☺️[/QUOTE]

We are all friends here with common interest and goals.

Ok guys, I'm starting to get seriously peeved off! My 5k tonight was cancelled due to lightning! That's like 3 in a row now. :(

I'm sorry this has happened to you again.

Crappy run this morning but those happen. Forgot to charge my watch so got out later then I wanted. But maybe the weirdest thing I've ever had happen to me occurred about four miles into my run - I lost my right contact. So did the rest of my run blind in one eye. Was interesting. pirate:

Also a question - might also be weird. I get cramps in my toes, sometimes while running, but usually after. Had it in both feet today and it was killing me. My dog was I was crazy I was cussing so bad. It's like my toes lock up - happen to any of you guys?

I get cramps in my toes, but never while running. I have the lucky pleasure of the cramps taking place while I am asleep. I role around like I have been shot making all kind of noise. DW is kind of accustomed to it now. It is definitely a hydration issue for me, and that's why during the summer I try to run on the TM to get out of the heat some. Yesterday I ran a 15 miler, I started having cramps in my calf for the last 2.5 miles. I ran would I could, but I would make it only 50 yards at most and then they would lock up. It was just a hot day, I did what I could to prevent it. I had 3 GU's during the run, and easily more than a gallon of water. Still paying for it today, as my quad just cramped up sitting in my office chair. I am scared to move my legs again now...

QOTD: To build off of yesterdays QOTD, what other forms of social media (Forums, Facebook, twitter, ect) do you use to read and discuss running related topics?
There's a local running group on Facebook that I mostly lurk on and here.

As for my monthly total I was really bad this month between not running when I was on vacation the first week and not having time to get in more than a mile my last two runs of the month I fell short of my goal. Hoping to pick it up this month especially if the weather gets cooler and I can get more than 3 miles without dehydrating to the point where I have to go in. At least it was a pretty good month for pace.

Total Miles: 28.4 mi
Total Time: 6:20:14
Avg. Pace: 13:24 min/mi

ATTQOTD: Ooooh, I love the Olympics. Always rowing...so I can relive my "glory days." Gymnastics for sure. I love watching the swimming and track just because I love "photo-finish" situations. I'll basically watch any event if its on though. I think the opening ceremonies is this Friday...so that has to be an OFF day for me for running :)

My monthly totals make me feel a little "less than", even though I know I shouldn't be comparing to you all. I'm just shy of 40. I was tapering for my big races and then had like a week of easy runs before my big training plan kicked off last week (which starts off relatively low mileage.) So it was a big month for me in terms of races but not for total mileage.
Next month should be one of my biggest mileage months yet though :) And each month following. As I head into the bigger distance territory like all you crazy kids :)

QOTD: With the Olympic games starting this month, what event are you looking forward to watching the most?

ATTQOTD: It's a hard decision with so many good events taking place. I am very interested in watching the Marathon on August 21.

I love the long sprints (not doing them, but watching them). Especially the 400 and 800 meters. Eager to see how Rupp does with his double. Really it all sucks me in, I love watching the Olympics. Winter or Summer, I love it! I even found myself glued to coverage of Curling...

ATTQOTD: swimming is my favorite to watch, followed by gymnastics. I'm a wanna be swimmer and a former gymnast;) For some reason I never seem to catch the track or long distance running events. We'll be away (London) the first week of the olympics this year. Guess we'll have to wait and see what they show over there - though it would likely be only brief chances here and there.

My mileage for July is 0. Let's hope I'm cleared and able to run in August!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter