The Running Thread—2023

May Totals

Running

Runs: 17
Miles: 86.13
Time: 14:45:05
Avg HR: 145
Avg Pace: 10:20

Pretty happy with where I am since I don't have any races on the calendar - though I'll probably do a trail 15k at the end of July with no time goals. Trying to keep within half marathon shape with 10 miles every other week or so as my long run.

Strength Training
Workouts: 13
Time: 6:40:09
Avg HR: 104

I did six weeks of Body Beast (modified) build phase workouts five times/week, took a week off, then started again with Body Beast (modified) bulk phase four times/week. I have consistently done three times/week and doing back/bis, chest/tris, and shoulders while cutting out leg day. Oops! :rotfl2:

Walking
Walks: 3
Miles: 3.23

When I run the almost-mile loop by my house, I've been taking my lab for one lap instead of doing a separate walk with him, so he's done more than 3 miles this month! But otherwise, not much walking going on - between running and lifting and running to kids' softball games, etc., I just don't feel like it.

May 2023 - 23.1 miles

Had surgery May 4th. I can start light cardio and lower body strength training on machines and cables only tomorrow. I usually squat/deadlift and use plate loaded equipment, but I’m restricted to lifting no more than 5 pounds for two more weeks. I get to lift 10 pounds until the 3 month mark 😑

Needless to say I’m going absolutely stir crazy being so inactive. I’m not allowed to even groom my horse or give her a bath.

I have a consult for another surgery to remove a fast growing tumor from my leg (non-cancerous) so I have no idea when I’ll be back to normal running 😭

May 2023 - 23.1 miles

Had surgery May 4th. I can start light cardio and lower body strength training on machines and cables only tomorrow. I usually squat/deadlift and use plate loaded equipment, but I’m restricted to lifting no more than 5 pounds for two more weeks. I get to lift 10 pounds until the 3 month mark 😑

Needless to say I’m going absolutely stir crazy being so inactive. I’m not allowed to even groom my horse or give her a bath.

I have a consult for another surgery to remove a fast growing tumor from my leg (non-cancerous) so I have no idea when I’ll be back to normal running 😭
Sorry to hear about the surgery. I'm impressed by the 23.1 miles before May 4!

May: Stuck to my "training plan" and am in "taper"....which is rich since I don't have a race planned. I really thought I could find a half that would work as closure (I don't race for time anymore), but I don't want to do an overnight trip, and that seems to be what I would have to do for a race in northern LP Michigan. So now I either go to the track and do 52 uninterrupted laps or maybe head to one of the Metroparks and suffer the hills. Onward to Marathon training!

Also, my only numeric input for this month is 1......officially retired husband (as of today). Let the fun begin!

May 2023 - 23.1 miles

Very sorry to hear. I can totally relate about going stir crazy if I had to be inactive.
I hope the second surgery goes well.

May running:
Miles = 70
Pace = 10:53 min/mi
Avg run = 4.4 mi
Days per week = 3.9 days

My most exciting running news of the month is that my 11 yr old asked me to sign her up for her first half marathon! She's done several 10k and too many to count 5ks. I happily found a half in August with a generous time limit near Kings Island amusement park, so we'll make a fun long weekend out of it.

May running:
Miles = 70
Pace = 10:53 min/mi
Avg run = 4.4 mi
Days per week = 3.9 days

My most exciting running news of the month is that my 11 yr old asked me to sign her up for her first half marathon! She's done several 10k and too many to count 5ks. I happily found a half in August with a generous time limit near Kings Island amusement park, so we'll make a fun long weekend out of it.
That's great! No matter what happens, you'll have a lot of core memories to cherish.

I got up at 4am for one last run before I had to leave for my surgery 🤓 I also wanted the May Disney Garmin badge so that was extra motivating to get some mileage in 😆
Good luck. I hope that you have an easy time with your recovery.

May 2023
Running: 86 miles - 402 YTD
Cycling: 236 - 1166 YTD

Cycling seemed light and it was - the weather locally was unusually cool. Plus some travel things/sick things. I missed a bunch of cycling time. Ready to get outside on the bike more.

My May:
Chronic sciatica
Possibly herniated disc (causing the chronic sciatica)
Endless hot flashes preventing sleep

Running? What’s running?! I actually fainted from the pain of cooking dinner one night. :rotfl: :headache:

Chiropractor’s been treating the sciatica and it was getting better enough that I was back on my feet, doing 3:00/:30 walk:runs, then 2:00/:30, then 1:30/:30, then 1:00/:30 and being okay… and then something went awry whilst taking a shower last night and the pain is back, radiating across my hip and down my leg. Back to walking on the treadmill, I guess.

Add that to the fibromyalgia and Hashimoto’s that are causing major exercise intolerance, and I’m deeply regretting signing up for all 3 W&D races. Right now, I’m just trying to hang in until a doctor’s appt in two weeks, where I HOPE we can ID some things to make all of this better!

Also have two new pairs of shoes coming today, so that may increase happiness?! I’m always down for trying some Shoe Therapy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter