The Running Thread—2023

We talked about getting into computer programable RBG LEDs so that we could create a "show".

I wish I'd known about those (and had more time) when I put together my Electric Water Pageant costume! I've seriously contemplated redoing it now that this stuff is getting cheaper and more accessible. I kind of hope this is the direction you go so I can hit you up for tips later!

I wish I'd known about those (and had more time) when I put together my Electric Water Pageant costume! I've seriously contemplated redoing it now that this stuff is getting cheaper and more accessible. I kind of hope this is the direction you go so I can hit you up for tips later!

When I do venture that direction, I'll be using this book from Kamui Cosplay (link). She sets everything up in an approachable manner for people like herself who started ground up. I have almost every one of her books now. Some are very helpful, and some I would have figured out on my own otherwise.

Go for it! Having seen your prior costuming efforts, I would love to see a new and improved version

January 2023 Running
Miles: 61.21
Time: 11:54:16
Average HR: 139
Average Pace: 11:24
Activities: 7

Let's review January's activities.
1/5 - Disney 5k - was sick - thought I was going to puke at 11pm but felt better at 2 am so decided to run. Ran slowwwww (so sticky!)
1/6 - Disney 10k - felt good, stopped for photos
1/7 - Disney Half - felt awesome, probably ran too fast sometimes
1/8 - Disney Full - felt not great and ran super slow until port-a-potty and walk break at mile 8 and decided to focus each mile on being thankful for a member of my family. By the time I hit Main Street in MK, I felt awesome. Saw my kids outside the Grand Floridian (adrenaline boost). Rode Everest (adrenaline boost) and ToT (adrenaline boost), had so much fun, last three miles were my fastest all race. No real walking except at water stops.

Came home and took a week off.
1/16 - Ran 3.5 miles
1/17 - Ran 3.5 miles
1/20 - Ran 4 miles

1/21 - Worked a basketball tournament for 5 hours
1/22 - Tested positive for COVID

So, that was the end of my running career for January 2023. I laid in bed with my 6yo for basically 3 days (my fever went away on day 3 and I felt better, but still just plum wore out).

I finally tested negative in time for a work trip to Chicago, but I didn't want to chance running the Lakefront trail after COVID and it being like -8.

Then my DH thinks my oldest came home from school with strep, so after a late-night flight, I'll be up and at 'em to take her to the doctor at 8 am.

So, maybe I'll start running again on Friday.

And man, I need to do some strength training, including squats because I think what little butt I did have disappeared after COVID and no running.

So that's the story of my January 2023 and Day 1 of February 2023. Let's hope for some normalcy after this (hahahahaha).

January:
Run
Total miles: 51.1
Avg pace: 7:58

Hiking:
Total miles: 66.2 (?)
Elevation gain: ~13,323 ft

I'm not sure how many miles I did on the W trek in Patagonia. Felt longer than 46 that's for sure! My friend wore her apple watch so hopefully she can send me the data when she gets back from (still hiking in) Chile. I can see why the W is popular - it's so beautiful and we were lucky with the weather - no wind or rain - even though that's all I packed for. Hiking is seriously another beast though. Although I'm an average runner, I'm a very slow (albeit novice) hiker even though I thought I was going a decent pace. Not sure I how I could have done the trek in typical summer Patagonian weather (unpredictable strong winds and rain).

Attachments

• C6B50C9E-7269-4321-B97D-9F988C500B48.jpeg
    C6B50C9E-7269-4321-B97D-9F988C500B48.jpeg
    55.1 KB · Views: 9
  • FFB577AF-5C12-4BEB-9E52-FEE3970E428B.jpeg
    FFB577AF-5C12-4BEB-9E52-FEE3970E428B.jpeg
    42.4 KB · Views: 9
  • B24C8335-9DE3-4D4D-9A1F-09EAF1BBBD03.jpeg
    B24C8335-9DE3-4D4D-9A1F-09EAF1BBBD03.jpeg
    84.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 6144EC08-49AC-4418-8705-1C3FC01B173A.jpeg
    6144EC08-49AC-4418-8705-1C3FC01B173A.jpeg
    60.2 KB · Views: 9
  • DB639A38-1315-481A-9B53-A89EE45B28F9.jpeg
    DB639A38-1315-481A-9B53-A89EE45B28F9.jpeg
    140.4 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Last edited:
Ok but here's the thing, I could race RnR DC March 18, and that would give me 6 weeks until Broad Street. Cherry Blossom would then become a recovery/easy training run (which it probably would be), and Broad Street would wrap up the spring season nicely.

View attachment 736942

Sigh
DO IT It's so flat & fun! If I get in too, I'll meet up with you in the start area if you want. It's 40k runners when at full capacity so it's a bit of a circus.

Also I always justify entering a lottery when I'm on the fence on racing it, thinking, Ok, I'm not making this decision, it's the race lottery gods that are deciding whether I should run it or not...

Also you didn't love your experience at the marathon and I feel the city has to make it up to you with a happier race. And warmer weather (surely).

I’m not sure this is worthy of QOTD, but I have a question, and it’s a day, so…

Do any of you run in Transitions/photochromic lensed glasses? More particularly, have you done so with a brimmed hat or visor on? My eyes are physically rejecting contacts much of the year, and I always wear sunglasses when the sun is up, but I also run mornings a lot, starting in the dark and ending with the sun up. I’m wondering if photochromic lenses might work for that, but would they get and stay dark enough under a brim??

@PrincessV I wear transition lens when i run and it is dark (ie can't wear the prescription sunglasses because of the lack of light). In fact I wore mine for the marathon starting in the dark and then finishing in the sun. I wear them with a visor. I will admit they are not as good as running in my sunglasses but i feel like they transition enough and with the visor that i am ok in the sunlight. Plus i am usually miserable at that point so i care less. I have contacts but i really dislike wearing them. I usually only wear them for races (ie because dark then light) or rain. Even with a visor if the rain is bad i can't see with my glasses. My eye sight is pretty bad so I have to wear either my glasses or my contacts. i also have bifocals but my contacts are not bifocal enabled (if that is a thing since i hate contacts i wear them infrequently enough that i dont buy them often). This is another reason i don't wear the contacts, i can see well enough to run but i can't read my watch :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter