The Rolling Turd's family says "HI!"

serenitygr

2021: trip number six to the Fort!!
:wave2: Hi to everyone lucky enough to be at the Fort, and also to those of you who read these boards just simply because we love the Fort so much! It's been 6 months since we arrived home from our Christmas vacation - so many memories we made! A lot of you followed along on our journey :) - you stuck with us through the good and the bad :coffee: and you were pulling for us to make it home as much as we were! :drive: A special thank you for that!

The "rolling turd" has been parked here in our yard since we got home- sometimes I actually go sit in it just to remember... Since we came home, a lot has happened, and life has continued on, as it tends to do....

I lost my big brother Bobby towards the end of April- a lot of you will remember that was a HUGE part of our trip to Florida. I will forever be grateful for those days I got to spend with him down there... It is a time I will never forget, and will cherish it in my heart forever...

And now, we are busy with all the regular Minnesota summer things here at our farm- we had one litter of German Shepherd puppies early this year, and now this summer we are expecting (and hoping for !) 3 litters of Basset Hound puppies! Sammi- my little girl- has been riding her horse as often as possible.... I've been mowing our lawn every day we get sunshine instead of rain (which isn't very often) and in between all that, we are trying to kill all the mosquitos that seem to have taken up permanent residence at our farm! :mad:

And the most exciting news of all? We are officially coming back to the Fort!!! It won't be until next fall (2015) but that's really only a year! Joe's brother and his family are planning to take their very first trip to Disney next year, so we are hoping we can persuade them to try the Fort and fall in love with it just like we have! Our tentative plan is to wait and see what happens with free dining next year- if it is offered in the fall, then we will fly down and stay in a cabin this time- maybe over my birthday in October! If no free dining is offered, then I think we will still fly down, but we will rent a camper while we are there. As much fun as it was driving, I don't think we will go that route again. The gas actually costs more than airfare, and I really don't know if the rolling turd wants to go that far again! :lmao: But already I am counting the days.... And I just wanted to say hi and share that excitement a little bit with all of you!

For those of you lucky enough to either be there now, or will be there in the next year- enjoy every second of your time there! If any of you are there in the Big Bear Loop (1400's) right across from the campfire/movie area- there were a lot of beautiful memories made right there in that spot- I hope you can make many more with your families!

For now we are planning a trip to Mount Rushmore this fall- and planning to drive the rolling turd! So keep us in your thoughts and wish us luck! We hope to make many more memories that our family will cherish forever!

Glad your summer is going well. All those puppies sound adorable!

You'll love Rushmore; see it at night - the program then is amazing.

Isn't it fun to plan your next Fort trip and to share it with someone experiencing it for the first time?

Thanks for keeping in touch

Good to hear from you!

Mount Rushmore is on my Bucket List . . . please post some pictures!

Gary

PS - we may see you there in October - it's in our long range plans! :)

Wonderful to hear from you---indeed, I followed your trip closely and was thrilled to share that special time with you. I am sorry to hear of your brothers passing, but grateful that you were able to spend that time and create those memories to live on!

How awesome that you will be coming back not too far into the future! Planning my first Fort trip with wife and kids this September in new trailer...we've requested 1400 loop ourselves :)

We hate Mosquitos too, but not sure how the size of them in CT compares to your Minnesota farm variety..lol!

Glad you checked in-have a nice summer!

Good to hear from you!

Mount Rushmore is on my Bucket List . . . please post some pictures!

Gary

PS - we may see you there in October - it's in our long range plans! :)

I would love to do a "trip report" during our time there, but not sure if I should post it here- I know most people on the DIS boards are looking for stuff on Disney, not other places :-) But I sure can post pictures if anyone wants to see them! Maybe we could call it a "pre-pre trip report" ;)

I would LOVE to be able to meet more people next fall when we come to the fort! I still remember the ones we met last time- it would be so great if as it gets closer we could arrange a get together for anyone else down there- maybe be one site and one evening and have a bar-b-que and some visiting time!

Glad your summer is going well. All those puppies sound adorable!

You'll love Rushmore; see it at night - the program then is amazing.

Isn't it fun to plan your next Fort trip and to share it with someone experiencing it for the first time?

Thanks for keeping in touch

Hi RVMH! It sounds like you've been to Mount Rushmore! I welcome any and all advice on taking a trip there! We are planning to stay about 5 nights once we get there- and taking about 2 days going there (500 miles) and 2 days coming back. We would love to hear more about anyone else's experiences!

Wonderful to hear from you---indeed, I followed your trip closely and was thrilled to share that special time with you. I am sorry to hear of your brothers passing, but grateful that you were able to spend that time and create those memories to live on!

How awesome that you will be coming back not too far into the future! Planning my first Fort trip with wife and kids this September in new trailer...we've requested 1400 loop ourselves :)

We hate Mosquitos too, but not sure how the size of them in CT compares to your Minnesota farm variety..lol!

Glad you checked in-have a nice summer!

Thank you so much 4077! I am so happy for your family- I hope you have a wonderful vacation! If you get the 1400 loop, I am pretty sure your family will love it as much as we did. I would request that loop every time now that I know how perfect it was for the things our family wanted to do. :goodvibes

My dream is to put a mosquito net up over our whole farm, but I think I need to make LOTS of money first in order to do that! Makes me pretty excited for fall to get here!

I would love to do a "trip report" during our time there, but not sure if I should post it here- I know most people on the DIS boards are looking for stuff on Disney, not other places :-) But I sure can post pictures if anyone wants to see them! Maybe we could call it a "pre-pre trip report" ;)

I would LOVE to be able to meet more people next fall when we come to the fort! I still remember the ones we met last time- it would be so great if as it gets closer we could arrange a get together for anyone else down there- maybe be one site and one evening and have a bar-b-que and some visiting time!

A non-WDW trip report would be appropriate on the Camping Community Board. I'd like to see where everyone else goes and how they do it (personally).

Bama Ed

A non-WDW trip report would be appropriate on the Camping Community Board. I'd like to see where everyone else goes and how they do it (personally).

Bama Ed

Thanks Bama Ed! That is a good idea, and maybe others will read this and do that too! I'd love to see reports of other peoples trips too- it's kind of like being there w/o being there :goodvibes

Sorry about your 'big' brother's passing - glad you have some good memories with him.

So all that snow finally melted, huh? Looked like you had plenty to last awhile!! Just glad it's you and not me! ;)

Thought we were the ones down south that everyone thought had all the mosquitoes, but looks like you may have us beat!! :) We really haven't been bothered very much.

Have fun on your next camping journey! :goodvibes

Hello from your Dairy Farm Family in Wisconsin. We are so sorry to hear about your brother. May your memories of this past Christmas be held close in your heart. Blessings. We are going back to DW a bit different this time. On July 25, our first four nights are at the Beach Club, and then to home, Fort Wilderness for seven nights. Our Daughter SNL, and two boys will join us at the Fort. We decided to mix up a bit this year, and are renting a tt from Greenberg. The reviews looked great. May I say cozy. The weather has been a challenge this year. Last Monday we lost a 100'x 200 machine shed via tornado. The day before, our oldest son lost his eye in an accident canoeing with his family. We remind ourselves this could be Nebraska, where the entire town was devastated. Our farming will take a detour for a bit, but this too shall pass. Keep the mosquitoes up north, take care, stay well, enjoy Mt. Rushmore. It is beautiful, especially the nighttime closing ceremonies. Blessings to your family. Barb

I am sorry to hear about Bobby, I know you spoke highly of that trip and how it gave you guys some time together. It is something you will have to cherish for the rest of your life, and I am glad that you helped make us a part of it.

We are planning a surprise trip for the kids from November 15-23 this year and I promise to give ya a good report, just gotta keep it a secret from the kids. Next year we are going to shoot for the fall, October probably, maybe around Halloween to catch the fall decorations since we will get the Christmas decorations this year. Who knows, maybe we can line up our vacations...

I agree with Ed that a community post for us all to put pictures of our local or other camping trips outside of Disney is a great idea. Each of us lives in a different part of the country and can really give each other a view of the other places we stay.

Still trying to find that Cotton, MN t-shirt that I know I still have around here somewhere...

Make sure you take in the night lighting ceremony at Mt Rushmore. It is worth it. Lots of things to see and do in the area of Mt Rushmore too. Watch some of the roads up there, there are tunnels in the Needles. :)

So sorry to hear about your brother. Do remember how much that trip meant to you. I'm so glad you got to spend that time together. How special !!!

Have a great trip to Mt. Rushmore. Make more awesome memories !!!!

We just bought our TT and are going to the Fort in December. I love getting excited all over again when I read all the TRs. Thanks to all of you who take the time for it. You will see how hard it is booking so far out from your arrival date. I was over a year out when I booked and it has been a long countdown. I've had 3 other co-workers go since I booked and one is going twice before I get to go once....:rotfl:

Enjoy your trips and yes let us know about how it goes. Trips to National Parks are on my bucket list in the next 3-5 years so pave the way and report back so I know what to expect.....lol

Hi RVMH! It sounds like you've been to Mount Rushmore! I welcome any and all advice on taking a trip there! We are planning to stay about 5 nights once we get there- and taking about 2 days going there (500 miles) and 2 days coming back. We would love to hear more about anyone else's experiences!

I would say, "take your time" - walk around the park and under the actual figures during the day and then see the sound/light program at night. Very different experiences depending on the shadows, time of day etc.

Custer State Park has a fascinating cave with very unusual crib work and there are herds of bison in the park as well

Don't miss the Crazy Horse monument; it's a work in progress which makes it very interesting.

Visit Little Big Horn if you can; you get a whole new perspective on Custer's Last Stand.

So much to see! Have a wonderful trip and circle back to WDW......

I would say, "take your time" - walk around the park and under the actual figures during the day and then see the sound/light program at night. Very different experiences depending on the shadows, time of day etc.

Custer State Park has a fascinating cave with very unusual crib work and there are herds of bison in the park as well

Don't miss the Crazy Horse monument; it's a work in progress which makes it very interesting.

Visit Little Big Horn if you can; you get a whole new perspective on Custer's Last Stand.

So much to see! Have a wonderful trip and circle back to WDW......

I would agree with RVMH, take your time. Also make sure you plan a stop at Wall Drug Store on I-90. If they don't have it, you don't need it. Also plan to at least drive through the badlands. For the bolded part, isn't Little Big Horn a long way from Mt. Rushmore? Not sure since we visited Little Big Horn on our trip to Yellowstone.

I would agree with RVMH, take your time. Also make sure you plan a stop at Wall Drug Store on I-90. If they don't have it, you don't need it. Also plan to at least drive through the badlands. For the bolded part, isn't Little Big Horn a long way from Mt. Rushmore? Not sure since we visited Little Big Horn on our trip to Yellowstone.

Yes, Rajak, you're right! Little Big Horn would be a trip; I was thinking out loud and remembering places that stood out as really interesting. Problem is that there are so many great spots.

I absolutely agree about the Badlands - what an eerie landscape and such unusual beauty - like nothing else I've ever seen.

Hello- Sorry about your brother's passing. I have yet to get to the Fort let alone Disney recently, however I am able to enjoy and live vicariously through you all on these boards. So I too would enjoy reading any camping threads!!

2 summers we stayed at a beautiful cabin in or near Wall and was able to visit Wall Drug, the Badlands loop and then spent a couple days in the Mt. Rushmore area. We spent time in both Hill City and Keystone. We spent one day at Crazy Horse and stayed for their evening light show.

However, the most memorable and patriotic event for us was visiting Mt. Rushmore both day and night. We not only stayed for their evening ceremony, but my husband, son and I were a part of it!!!:cool1: Being Air Force veterans and our son only 2 years old at the time, all 3 of us as well as many other veterans were asked to come down on the stage following the film. I can honestly say, it was a very special moment and the crowd was incredible!

For us and that trip, 4 days was not enough but now we have a reason to go back since we were not able to enjoy all it has to offer.

Again, thanks for your update and go make more memories!!

Denise

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter