• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The remarkable staying power of the DISboard

malonefamily

Vlogging magical family adventures in Central FL
Quick note on how incredible this community is. I've been a member since 2005 and some years I get busy with other things and don't come around as much. Today I was noticing that so many of the people who I was talking with on here have been here longer than my 16 year term.

I don't know how you guys put together a board that has that kind of sticking power, but I tip my hat to you, and the members. I'm duly impressed. When did the DISboards first open up? The 1990s? It was a loooong time ago, I know that much.

I for one LOVE the Boards! I’ve learned so much and have made friends - met peeps thru cruises - learned to make a Fish a extender - learned all about DVC - learned about AP - the Parks - I could go on and on ! I tell everyone who ask me about Disney to go to the Disboards !! Awesome community !! ❤️❤️

June, 1997.

March, 1999 is when I came here.
You're only a few months ahead of me, Dan. I like to think of us as "Oldies but Goodies!"

On a related note... I am in Cocoa Beach at the moment, visiting an old friend who is on his last trip around the sun. While driving to our hotel from his place last night, on A1A (I think) I noticed a lighted sign outside of a building that says "DISboards.com" Anyone know anything about this? Have I found the actual location of my "home away from home?" Didn't know there was a physical office or whatever!

I started lurking in 2000 when I was thinking of buying into DVC and continued lurking until 2004. I'm not a big posted compared to others here, I get busy with other things so I don't have that much time to devote to posting. I do enjoy all the information that I find here, it has all been very helpful over the years.

Started lurking in 2002, joined in 2003. Staying power yes, but posts/replies are a fraction of what they used to be. There is a website somewhere that tracks web traffic on specific sites, love to see the actual numbers. Just a few of us hardheads still here.

STAYING POWER....more family/shy member friendly than Micechat....Micechat turned really vile and negative....their game section is gone...there were only three of us left on game boards....part of the blame was on facebook. but in retrospect...their disneyland fourm was much like one of those dark walnut paneled board rooms FOR MEMBERS ONLY......where as here it can b a walk in the park....sure some folks here will come across as wearing unfriendly t-shirts that should not be found in a family city park or wearing daisy dukes..but if you find the friendly threads....they make you feel like family right away...

and it is easy to navigate...and our moderators are very professional and can handle any press conference.

You're only a few months ahead of me, Dan. I like to think of us as "Oldies but Goodies!"

On a related note... I am in Cocoa Beach at the moment, visiting an old friend who is on his last trip around the sun. While driving to our hotel from his place last night, on A1A (I think) I noticed a lighted sign outside of a building that says "DISboards.com" Anyone know anything about this? Have I found the actual location of my "home away from home?" Didn't know there was a physical office or whatever!
That is the welcome center. I have been in there a couple times. When cruises are going, they prepared the gift baskets there too, I believe.

I guess I would be an oldie then? Found the DIS right after our second trip to WDW and never looked back. I get my Disney fix here and try to stay on top of all Disney things.

I was here around 1997...I also met with Pete Werner as I had just started my own website to promote local area businesses and wanted to do a cross-promotion. I was just a dumb 18 year old kid who didn't really know what I was doing, so he correctly declined.

Funny, we met at the Crossroads area which is now being torn down.

It’s great this place is still around and seemingly thriving.

I used to hang out on a couple others, but they are long gone. Sadly I cannot even remember the name of the one, it was just some general discussion thing. I used to hang out on one that was dedicated to the band “The Donnas”… if anyone else knows that band, I am super impressed, I rarely meet anyone on the street that has even heard of them. It was so long ago though, they haven’t done anything in the past several years:(

I think I joined around 2003, when I researched my first trip, and over the years have been more of a lurker than a poster, but I would never have guessed that it would remain a personal resource over the years. It has touched upon a lot of non-disney parts of my life in very impactful ways, so I agree, it's truly an amazing thing that this community has stayed together over the years. I look forward to many more years to come!

I think there are two things about the DIS that have contributed greatly to the success.

One is the no-nonsense posting guidelines. No politics (relaxed somewhat occasionally), no stupidity, none of those contests where everybody gets wet. Wanna fight? Go elsewhere.

And equally important, IMHO, is the moderators. They simply do an amazing job.

I have run afoul of both a time or two over the years, but if you want to know what makes this place work -- those are the two most important factors to me.

We have a great bunch of people here, but they have stayed here in large part because of the civility of the boards.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter