• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Rebel Forces Were Strong But The Smith's Are Stronger TR-7/20 FINAL THOUGHTS

:scared1: cannot believe those crowds....and strollers :scared1:

So sad your report is coming to an end....looking forward to your final thoughts!!;)

Thank you for reading!

Sniff sniff... I hate when TR's come to an end :( But I'm so glad y'all had a great last day! I love the pic with Randy's had. It does sum up the trip, doesn't it! And I just can't get over those crowds:scared1: Still looks like you had a magical vacation!!! Thanks for sharing them:love:

Well crowds or no crowds...we were @ WDW ;)

That outfit is awful. AWFUL. I live in fear I'm going to show up on one of these TRs in a bad outfit, maybe that is why I stress out so much. Another fear is showing up on the news when they do those stories about obesity and they don't show peoples heads as they are walking around the mall or something. :rotfl2:

I'm so sad your trip has come to an end.

The last trip picture of Aisling is PRECIOUS. That is how a kid should look at the end of a Disney trip. :laughing:

Looking forward to your final thoughts. I'm ready to know when you are going back. :rotfl2:

I have that same fear....maybe that's why I project and post awful pics on my TR. I'm just waiting for the What Not to Wear team to show up and make me throw out all my Disney Ts!

OH that outfit was awful. I was just introduced to People of Walmart so it seemed tame compared to that however. I am going to pay more attention to outfits when I go out from now on......some real amusement can be gleened from it! ha!

I still cannot get over those crowds....I mean why bother going...you were all troopers though and now when you go back you'll have some perspective on crowds I guess. LOL ... remember when you said Feb was crowded?? :rotfl:

I really enjoyed the trip report! I am hoping to go in a year!!! :banana:

There WAS an off-shoot of People of Walmart called People of the Park. It was bad outfits at Disney parks. But it seems like it was taken down. Some of outfits weren't that bad and they were making fun of people's religious beliefs.

I really did think our Feb trip was crowded at that time! Remember all the groups taking up all the FPs??? Ya, they were NOTHING! Good thing is that it will seem "slow" on all my future trips!

I thought you were planning at Ft. Wilderness trip????? :confused3

I'm all caught up again just in time for the end.

I'm so impressed you made all those rope drops. I don't think I've ever done three in a row.

Loved the luau outfits. I have a picture of my DS7 mowing down on those ribs on his 6th birthday. I didn't know you could order drinks off the menu at the Luau or I would have had a Lapu lapu.

Had I known you were even thinking of taking the bus to seaworld I would have cautioned you. We had a horrific experience as well. Taking a taxi there and back was still cheaper than renting a car and paying parking. It took us over 2 hours to "bus" it there one morning. I didn't know about the downtown bus stop until we stopped there. I had gone to the TTC. I was staying at POR at the time. I would have saved time by taking the boat to downtown disney. I just about kicked myself when I realized there was a bus stop there.

Actually I remembered your hell of a trip to SW and that's why we took the taxi home! I thought I was learning by your mistake of going to TTC. NOPE!!!!!! :sad2::sad2::sad2:

Have you started a TR yet for the kids dance trip?

WOW is all I have to say about that outfit!

Cute pic of all three kids! A line at POTC - now we really know how busy it was! Love that last photo of the trip - too cute!

I don't know what to do with the things I've sewn for Jordan either - I hate to part with them and I don't think they are good enough to resell and make some money off of. I have a niece that would be perfect to hand them down to but she is allowed to dress herself and wear anything she wants so they would probably just sit in her closet.

Looking forward to final thoughts.

Yup, that whole area at POTC that I thought was just a stroller parking area or a place to hide from a rain storm is actually LINES. And we waited in them! Hopefully never again!

I guess I could sell the stuff that Stacy made (mine is definitely not good enough) but I just can't. Hoping that some of my friends' kids start growing fast!!! I have one who is a year younger than Aisling who is going next year. I'm actually made her a couple of dresses for her last trip. I think she may be able to fit into Aisling's smaller things by next year (she's 5 but tiny) Aisling's cousin goes frequently but you've seen the pics I've posted of her on here and FB. She's WAAAAAAY too tiny! She'll be in High School before she fits into them!

I can't believe the trip is over already! I feel like it just started! :sad1: As usual, I loved every minute of it! And I'm so excited to hear you final thoughts - there better be news of another trip in there! :goodvibes

Awww...love the last picture of Aisling!! It is a great picture!!!

I'm so sad that the trip has come to an end!!! I am excited to hear your final thoughts!!!

and THAT is why I will never go back in June! :faint:

That pic of Ash is so cute! I love it!

Can't wait to hear plans for next time! :goodvibes

i hate to say it but the story of the linx bus cracks me up. it reminds me of our honeymoon in hawaii, everyone said no car needed. so when we went to diamondhead i swore it was walking distance on the map. so we walked for 45 minutes and ummmm yep that was only the entrance to the park. so another 7 hours or so and we made it to diamondhead and then yeah the 2 billion step walk to the top. it is amazing dh didnt divorce me then (it was august btw)
so when i decided we must go to pearl harbor and the honolulu flea market we toook a bus to pearl harbor ( a public transportation guessing game) and i declared that again we should walk (yep another looooooong walk) so we agreed to pay for a cab back to the hotel except the cabs were not like nyc cabs kinda unmarked cars with drivers offering rides (we did it and survived , but 9 years later he doesnt really trust me with getting around unfamiliar cities):upsidedow

I can't believe the trip is over already! I feel like it just started! :sad1: As usual, I loved every minute of it! And I'm so excited to hear you final thoughts - there better be news of another trip in there! :goodvibes

There will be...I promise!

Awww...love the last picture of Aisling!! It is a great picture!!!

I'm so sad that the trip has come to an end!!! I am excited to hear your final thoughts!!!

Thank you!

and THAT is why I will never go back in June! :faint:

That pic of Ash is so cute! I love it!

Can't wait to hear plans for next time! :goodvibes

Was it crazy your week too?

i hate to say it but the story of the linx bus cracks me up. it reminds me of our honeymoon in hawaii, everyone said no car needed. so when we went to diamondhead i swore it was walking distance on the map. so we walked for 45 minutes and ummmm yep that was only the entrance to the park. so another 7 hours or so and we made it to diamondhead and then yeah the 2 billion step walk to the top. it is amazing dh didnt divorce me then (it was august btw)
so when i decided we must go to pearl harbor and the honolulu flea market we toook a bus to pearl harbor ( a public transportation guessing game) and i declared that again we should walk (yep another looooooong walk) so we agreed to pay for a cab back to the hotel except the cabs were not like nyc cabs kinda unmarked cars with drivers offering rides (we did it and survived , but 9 years later he doesnt really trust me with getting around unfamiliar cities):upsidedow

UGGGGHHH. 7 hours of walking :scared1: Yup that doesn't sound very "honeymoony"

MY FINAL THOUGHTS!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you all for reading along! Still amazes me when people last this long :rotfl2:

First: A BIG BIG BIG thank you to Stacy for all her wonderful creations and to Laura for making last minute bows to match everything!!!!!!

Loves of the Trip: Hanging out with so many DIS friends...esp Stacy and her boys. Getting to go to SeaWorld with some "experts" who timed out all the shows so we saw everything! AKV...need I say more? Getting food delivered from Garden Grocer- cheaper AND super convenient. And that Aisling got to see her Star Wars heros!

Dislikes: You may think the lines were the biggest annoyances but really it was the shortness of the trip. I really really feel that we didn't go to WDW at all this year. This will also be the first fall in 6 years that we haven't gone to WDW and I'm really feeling it. I know that I should be thrilled that I'm lucky enough to go as often as we do but this trip was so rushed and so brief that I can't even wrap my brain around the fact that I was there (does that make sense?????) Needless to say, I really would like to avoid short trips in the future. I'm not ruling them out but I really need a long(er) trip! One that we can take the time to just hang by the pool and do some of the things we just haven't had time to do before. You know...so you come home and feel like you were on vacation????? :rotfl2:

SOOOOOOOO

That brings us to our 2011 plans. And they seem really far away. So far away that I don't know if I can make it ;) But I'll try! So we are planning to take a 10 day trip for the last week of summer vacation next year. August 19th-28th to be exact! I know, I know. It will be hot. But we typically go the 2nd week of September so it's really not going to be that different. And since we have 10 days, they'll be plenty of time for cooling off back at the hotel.

Which brings me to the hotel. In an ideal world, we'd be able to rent points at BCVs. BUT the chances of that are so insanely low that I'm thinking that we have to put that idea right out of our heads. 1) there are only 36 studios at BCVs (and we don't need anything bigger with 3 people) 2) our only chance to get one is to find an owner who is willing to rent to us RIGHT at the 11 month mark. And my issue with that is we will be tying up a BUNCH of money for the better part of a year. And if we have to cancel...we lose all that money. So I'm thinking that sadly this plan is just NOT going to work for us.

Our next option for renting points would be to stay at AKVs again. We love AKL/Vs. And you can generally rent points there pretty close to your travel time. BUUUUUTTTTT I realllllllllllly want to stay somewhere new.

Randy refuses to stay in Value again so those are out! I would like to try CBR or CS but the size of those places scare me. So the only mods in the running would be PO(FQ or R)

Many of you voted in my Facebook survey and Poly won out. Poly could be in the running...if they offer some amazing deal! Garden view is $365/night which adds up quick for 9 nights. :eek: We might be buying APs this trip due to the 2012 plans that are also in the works ;) so I'm guessing that we might be able to get SOME kind of discount. There usually are offers at the end of August.

Wilderness Lodge was also a popular option. I do love the idea of being that close to MK. I need to do some more research on this place. Aisling loves AKL because of the animals. She's obsessed. I'm concerned that she might get to WL and be wondering where the animals are since the hotels are so similar.

We also haven't completely ruled out renting points. But there is something comforting about having up to 45 days to cancel if there is some kind of emergency. Another option is OKW but I don't think I've known anyone who's stayed there. I think the grounds are beautiful but the rooms look kinda old fashioned online. Anyone have thoughts?

So anyway...I will leave it at that. Discuss away our hotel choices! I will certainly start a PTR but given that we have 403 days :scared1: I have to figure out when it's appropriate to start it!

Loved your trip report.

We've stayed many a trip at POR and love it. The atmosphere is great and in my opinion it has the nicest food court at WDW. The money saved over a deluxe resort is substantial.

TK

Loved your trip report.

We've stayed many a trip at POR and love it. The atmosphere is great and in my opinion it has the nicest food court at WDW. The money saved over a deluxe resort is substantial.

TK

The rack rate Deluxe room prices are making me want to choke! We have done 8 nights at AKL Savannah view but got a 40% off pin so that helped A LOT with the sticker shock!

I know that POR is a romantic sort of resort. Is it kid-friendly????

The rack rate Deluxe room prices are making me want to choke! We have done 8 nights at AKL Savannah view but got a 40% off pin so that helped A LOT with the sticker shock!

Hi Kristine, I followed along on your TR whenever you posted updates on FB, sadly, I never found time to comment :-(

I have to say POR is great! I've stayed there twice now and we have had great experiences both times. It's def. kid friendly, they have a nice pool, the guy in the lobby bar who plays the piano (forget his name), nice food court, playground, boat to DTD, fishing, family bike rentals, hair braiding, etc. Sadly, both times we stayed there, they were short(er) trips and we didn't get to do too much. I think you guys would love it there. I hear ya on the short trips. Our trip in May felt so rushed, and the crowds were pretty bad too, I felt like I wanted to go back right away, or at least start planning too. I don't think our next trip will be until late 2011 either. I'll then have to decide whether to pull Ben from school, or go in the summer, which I would rather not do (I don't handle the heat well)...

On the bright side, with so much time until your next trip, you'll have plenty of time to plan!! And now you can check SWW off your list! :-)

Hi Kristine, I followed along on your TR whenever you posted updates on FB, sadly, I never found time to comment :-(

I have to say POR is great! I've stayed there twice now and we have had great experiences both times. It's def. kid friendly, they have a nice pool, the guy in the lobby bar who plays the piano (forget his name), nice food court, playground, boat to DTD, fishing, family bike rentals, hair braiding, etc. Sadly, both times we stayed there, they were short(er) trips and we didn't get to do too much. I think you guys would love it there. I hear ya on the short trips. Our trip in May felt so rushed, and the crowds were pretty bad too, I felt like I wanted to go back right away, or at least start planning too. I don't think our next trip will be until late 2011 either. I'll then have to decide whether to pull Ben from school, or go in the summer, which I would rather not do (I don't handle the heat well)...

On the bright side, with so much time until your next trip, you'll have plenty of time to plan!! And now you can check SWW off your list! :-)

Oh that makes me so sad that you already have to worry about pulling Ben out of school :sad2:

HMMMM.... so you think Ash would like PO?? You know since you are actually someone on here who knows her :rolleyes1

I loved the Wilderness Lodge! DH and I stayed there is 2008. In fact it help seal the deal on buying DVC. No way were we going back to a vaule resort after that! Your family will love it! We would take the boat to the Cont then take the Monorail over to Epcot or the other Monorail resorts. Its a beautiful resort!:lovestruc

Randy refuses to stay in Value again so those are out!

My DH is exactly the same; no more values.

Another option is OKW but I don't think I've known anyone who's stayed there. I think the grounds are beautiful but the rooms look kinda old fashioned online. Anyone have thoughts?

Aren't they scheduled for a refurb (or already started)? Maybe you will like the rooms better after that? :confused3 Will you have a car? From what I've heard it's pretty spread out with multiple bus stops.

I loved the Wilderness Lodge! DH and I stayed there is 2008. In fact it help seal the deal on buying DVC. No way were we going back to a vaule resort after that! Your family will love it! We would take the boat to the Cont then take the Monorail over to Epcot or the other Monorail resorts. Its a beautiful resort!:lovestruc

hmmmm. So do you recommend staying at WL or trying to rent Villa points there???

My DH is exactly the same; no more values.

Aren't they scheduled for a refurb (or already started)? Maybe you will like the rooms better after that? :confused3 Will you have a car? From what I've heard it's pretty spread out with multiple bus stops.

I do not know....I'll have to check that out. We won't have a car. I drive over 2000 miles/mo for work. At WDW I want someone to drive for me ;)

HMMMM. Looks like the rehab will be done by then BUT I didn't realize that OKW doesn't have a CS restaurant. I don't think that will work with my relaxation plan.

OK OKW is OUT

Oh that makes me so sad that you already have to worry about pulling Ben out of school :sad2:

HMMMM.... so you think Ash would like PO?? You know since you are actually someone on here who knows her :rolleyes1

It makes me very sad too, the problem is that I would want to do a longer trip, don't think I can pull him out for that long :) I still can't believe he only has one more year of preschool!

I think she would like it. She loves DTD, right? It's so cool to take the boat, it's my favorite part of the hotel! I would just show her some of the videos of the hotels, see which she would like best. I've never stayed at the other mods, but it seems more quaint. I had a conference at CS, and it was HUGE!! I'll throw the Swan out there again, it's so close to BC and BW! And very cheap compared to the other hotels. :thumbsup2

I find that the French Quarter is a bit more of a 'romantic' setting while Riverside is more relaxed. My kids loved it. The pool is nice and the food court so kid friendly. Our sons were 7, 9, 11, 15 when we stayed there.

2006 Photos:
Arriving:
POR-1.jpg

Our building:
POR-1-1.jpg

Really comfy beds:
POR-2.jpg

Outside the loo:
POR-3.jpg

Thanks for the pics!!! It is a pretty resort (it looks like my college!) and obviously the beds are comfy...everyone settled right down for a nap!

It makes me very sad too, the problem is that I would want to do a longer trip, don't think I can pull him out for that long :) I still can't believe he only has one more year of preschool!

I think she would like it. She loves DTD, right? It's so cool to take the boat, it's my favorite part of the hotel! I would just show her some of the videos of the hotels, see which she would like best. I've never stayed at the other mods, but it seems more quaint. I had a conference at CS, and it was HUGE!! I'll throw the Swan out there again, it's so close to BC and BW! And very cheap compared to the other hotels. :thumbsup2

Aisling only compares the pool. If it has a cool pool...it's in the running! Totally get about the longer trip thing. That's why we are just going to go the last week of summer vaca. We can go for the long trip and she won't miss anything. I've always said I won't do April School Vaca but after May...it would be a breeze!

Morning!

I have heard really good things about POR and if we ever stayed moderate that is where we would stay. That being said, our very first trip we stayed at WL and really enjoyed it! It really has a different feel to me than AKL (we've stayed there too) so I don't think Ash will be looking for animals.

I hear you about the short trips! In May, we were there for two days at the end of our vacation - one park day (MK) and one resort/DTD day. That just does not count as a visit to me. The trip before (Oct 2009) was just me and Jordan for 5 days (really 4 with travel time) - we had a great time but we couldn't do everything. So our last trip for a week+ was in Nov 2008 and our next one for a week+ will be 2011 or 2012. I know I shouldn't complain because we have been fortunate to go there so many times but it is hard not knowing when the next trip will be. I think your long trip right before school starts in 2011 sounds great!

As for a PTR, Liesa (all7ofus) and Maroo have had a PTR going for over a year now so you can feel free to start any time! :rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter