The Real Truth About Mission Space Please!

thanks everybody - your opinions are appreciated!

i was going to ride it regardless of what i read on here, but it was nice to hear other coaster-freaks' views on it!

i don't think my wife will want to go on it because of the spinning, but my brothers-in-law and i will definitely be hitting it up (and then making fun of whichever one of us, if any, tosses our Turkey Legs after the ride)!

maybe i should just go eat a huge steak at le cellier before i blast off to space :)

6 weeks from today i'll be in the world with 8 other family members (and I'll be done with school for the rest of my life)! can't wait!

I found that I was more dizzy when looking at the screen than when looking at the non-moving things around the screen (the buttons, etc.).

DH & I are fearless theme park riders & we both thought this was a great ride (he was surprised to find such an intense ride at a Disney park).

That being said, it was a lot less intense the second time than the first for me as I knew more of what to expect (the warnings at the beginning did tend to make me question the ride).

I agree that it is probably most comparable to the Gravitron - but it is definitely on a much higher level. If you are in doubt - ride the less intense side first.

I love rollercoasters, spinning rides, etc. If they've built it, I'll probably enjoy it and not feel any ill effects. Mission Space makes me mildly ill. It happens on either side and the only other ride that's happened on was the little kiddie virtual-reality-helmet Aladdin's Carpet ride over at Disney Quest - and that one was actually a hundred times worse than MS for me. LOL.

For me personally, I strongly suspect that it's the mismatch between what my body's feeling and what my eyes are seeing on certain virtual rides. Virtual Space Mountain, you actually are at least flipping and rolling, and on Soarin your eyes can still anchor on people's feet or the theater, but you can't do that with virtual reality you're surrounded by unless you close your eyes, which defeats the purpose. :)

No biggie. A few extra runs on TOT or RNRR for me! :D

Sorry for this interruption in this thread, but Bill from PA, I noticed your reply. If my memory serves me, didn't you go to the world recently? I have been waiting for your trip report.

You'll never know until you try it!

DW is like you and has never had motion sickness for any reason whatsoever. She can read in the car while it's moving, she can go on any ride for as long as she wants, etc. and never has a problem.

She rode Mission:Space last December and . . . she was fine. In fact, the ride was a big, "Yeah, so?" to her.

But your mileage may vary!

I was also all keyed up because of the warnings everywhere. We decided to try the green (non-spin) version first and I thought it was lame-o!!! I remembered a friend telling me that if I just stared straight ahead while doing the orange version, I'd be fine. He also told me that if I tried to look around, I could be in trouble.

I decided to be brave, and did the orange version and did just fine. I felt a little quesy afterwards, but no big deal. I'd take the orange (spin) version over the green any day.

On a related note, I couldn't agree more with another poster who said that they felt worse after doing the Aladdin Magic Carpet ride at DisneyQuest.

Have fun!

I really like this ride! If you ride in the single rider line you may not want to end up with out family tho:rotfl2: First of all, the second trip that I took to the world that it was open I brought my mom and stepdad with. dd11 didn't LOVE the ride the first trip so she and grandad walked the world showcase while DGM67, DH 38, me37, ds9 waited almost 2 HOURS to ride (back when it was only the original orange version). Had a BLAST...I think DGM67 loved it the most! She will NOT do rollercoasters but loved the realistic G-forces and theming of the ride.

So rollercoaster nut (like me and DH and DD...who doesn't like MS) or not it may be a great fit. My mom liked how it was not jerky.

OK back to the beginning of my post...if you ride with my family we are the ones pushing any and all buttons we can and announcing SURE DOOM!!!! We are looking anywhere but straight (that sometimes gets me a little:) )and enjoying the FULL experience.

I can understand how this ride can make people a little queasy (sp?). But if you follow the RULES (look forward, keep your head back, etc.) you will most likely enjoy the ride as much as we do:thumbsup2

I am a huge roller coaster fan -- I'll ride anything. But Mission: Space made me horribly, terribly sick. I don't think that any previous coaster experience can really prepare you for M:S. Like previous posters have said, definitely take the pre-ride warnings seriously. They are NOT kidding around!

I cold ride Top Thrill Dragster or Millenium Force at Cedar point all day,everyday and will never get sick or feel weird,in fact I leave them feeling better.MS is a Gravitron ride mixed with a simulator,the amount of time you feel high G's is very short compared to riding the Gravitron at a fair.So if you can deal with those rides you're good.The amount of times I've felt bad on any ride I can count on one hand.Probably 2 times in fair type rides and one time I went to BGT feeling a bit strange in the morning and by the afternoon I pretty much had every symptom from fever to headache to a sore throat.I probably should have stopped riding Kumba at the first sign of a headache since I always bump my head on the shoulder harnesses on that ride.I've never felt anything on Mission Space.The ride gets all the bad publicity since 10 million people a year visit EPCOT and are not in condition to be riding that ride,those same people don't go to county fairs and ride spin and puke rides,but when they go to Disney they ride it and complain about the ride!!As far as MS goes,for me it's never a must ride, aside from the high G's I find the rest of the ride kind of boring,like a Star Tours simulator which isn't a must ride either.Test Track and Soarin I love but MS has never been a favorite!!!

You shall not blow chunks. In fact, I rode the ride numerous times while DH decided one ride was just enough for him.

6 weeks from today i'll be in the world with 8 other family members (and I'll be done with school for the rest of my life)! can't wait!

CONGRATS and have fun. I wouldnt even consider doing orange. My DD15 is even afraid to go on green. I may or may not allow myself to be talked into green:upsidedow

Maybe it would be wise to do green first, then orange:goodvibes

I rode a Gravitron once. It had a carpeted floor that was sloped gently down to the center and riders could move about as the chamber rotated in place.

Years ago I could do the Round Up, which is similar to the Gravitron except the chamber is an open mesh (the surroundings are in full view) and everyone stands at the perimeter facing the center and also the entire chamber gradually rises and tilts to almost 90 degrees in one motion. I was only mildly disoriented after getting off. I did Mission Space Orange just once and it took almost half an hour for the dizziness to go away. Getting older, I guess.

In Mission Space everyone sits at the perimeter of a circle facing the center. Because you are in enclosed capsules, you do not see all of the framework.

Disney hints: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

"A carnival operator was arrested for letting a Round Up go for 20 minutes. 'I am going to make you all puke,' he was quoted as saying" (paraphrased, Amusement Business magazine)

Hi everyone!

The last time I went on MS, there was only one version....I assume the orange. I was fine, but we're taking people that haven't been before. I assume the green is milder, but in what way?

TIA!!

Kim:dance3:

We were worried about DH on our last trip - he can handle roller coasters for the most part, but spinning rides or rides where you can get disoriented (like EE) spell trouble for him.

We rode the green side, had a blast.... and charged right up to do the orange side! He had a couple of queasy moments, but he kept his head straight, took a couple of deep breaths and was fine.

He's ready to go again on this trip. :)

My DH is the same way and did fine with Mission Space, too.

My first experience on Mission Space:
Myself-34,DH-33,My sister-33, and her fiance-33.My my sister had rode this one before (the only one in the group).
WE get in our seats my DH on one side of me and my sister on the other, now mind you my sister is kind of a thrill seeker, has rode every thrill ride around ,mountain climbed,bunged ect..
My sister noticing the nervous look on my face,leans over and quietly informs me that this was the "scariest ride she has ever be on. ":scared:
Before I could get a word out the ride started.
Frozen, I thought what have I gotten my self into.:eek:
When the ride was over my sister started to laugh and asked me what I thought.:rotfl2:
WHAT I THOUGHT!-If I had threw up it would have been in her direction.
In reality it was a great ride and all the fear I built up in my mind made the actual ride tame by comparison.
The ironic ending to it all, was while exiting the ride the man walking in front of my sister stoped and vomited all over the floor.:sick:

Though I've never been to Cedar Point, where some of the biggest coasters in the US live, but I've never met a rollercoaster I wouldn't ride ... I love them!

The only type of rides that I don't really like are spinning rides (Tilt-a-whirl, "teacups" etc.).

That said, I *love* MS ... the worst I ever experienced was a moment of dizziness when I purposefully leaned my head out of the restraint to check on how my DS was doing in the seat next to me ... it's the only time I've felt it spinning. Otherwise, it's just like getting crushed back into your seat by the G-force!

I gotten far dizzier on Alice's Mad Tea Party than MS!

My DW and DS love spinning rides, so I do go on them ... I just don't enjoy them as much! :)

I would never even consider the orange line -- I know my limits.

That said, I've repeatedly ridden the green line -- sometimes several times in a row (the advantage of going in the S-L-O-W season :) ) and I can't get enough of it. I love Mission:Space, now that it has a version I can handle. In fact, it now ties with Soarin' as my favorite EPCOT ride.

The green line was added fairly recently, so if you haven't been to EPCOT in the past 12-18 months you may not have had the option.

I personally don't have any problem with it. In fact, I think the sensation is awesome. DF can't do spinning rides. I'm saying he gets nauseous on the carousel. But for some reason, he's able to do MS. We were paired with another couple and the guy said he can't do spinning rides, but afterwards, he said he was fine too. I guess because it goes soo fast. :confused3 That's what I'm assuming anyway.

I don't know if you'll be able to ride M:S without any ill effects or not. I agree with the posters who say everyone is different. I will say that to my knowledge, M:S is the only ride that comes equipped with "safety bags". So evidently the designers anticipated some folks would require them.

Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter