The Real Housewives of WDW - 11/15: In Closing

Finally all caught up.

Sanaa is right over by Boma, yes? Because I was freezing during my breakfast at Boma a couple weeks back...two weeks ago tomorrow, in fact.

But it was all good. Shivering burns calories. Which meant more room for their fanflippingtastic goat cheese and chive scrambled eggs.

:faint:

Finally all caught up.
Hi Tink! :wave:
Sanaa is right over by Boma, yes? Because I was freezing during my breakfast at Boma a couple weeks back...two weeks ago tomorrow, in fact.
Nope, Sanaa is in Kidani, so up the street from Boma. But I've expereinced the arctic blast of Boma, too... I'm liking the shivering burns calorie approach! :thumbsup2 :rotfl:

Well, it was a good thing that Leo and I chose to stay in and make Night Seven an early one, as Day Eight was planned to have an early start. And, guess what…

…we actually went with The Plan! :cool1:

But.

Maybe we shouldn’t have. :scared2:

The Plan called for rope drop at the Magic Kingdom (MK). Tracy (T) and family decided to pass on the MK, so it was down to Lauralee (LL) and family and us. LL and Co. arrived at the MK a little later than us, so it was just Leo and I at rope drop.

Oh.

And approximately 3,000 Brazilian Tour Groups.

And roughly 10,000 new WDW guests.

Also, 2,548 dads who felt they weren’t getting their money’s worth; 4,223 hot, tired toddlers; and 3,762 burnt-out moms who were determined to get those kids on Dumbo FIRST or die trying.

But that may just have been my particular perception. :headache:

I was most certainly not feeling the magic that morning. It was strange; it felt as though all of the gracious guests and happy Cast Members of the first half of our trip had been magically whisked away and replaced with their opposites. Everyone seemed to be in a rush to nowhere and there was no sense of camaraderie at all. I’ve speculated that the “good” guests all took their trips the week prior to and including July 4th, while the “bad” guests showed up just after July 4th. I have no idea if that’s true, but that’s how it felt.

Again, maybe it was just me.

Because I was quickly realizing that 10 days/ 9 nights at The Happiest Place on Earth was several nights and days too many for us.

Yes indeedy – the Magic was gone, gone, gone. :sad2:

I tried to put on a happy face for Leo, and we did a few of our favorite attractions. But I just wasn’t feeling it; neither was Leo, I don’t think.

4790766926_072406d103.jpg

I can’t even remember what we did, it was that unexciting. I took no notes and only the one picture. Our mojo wasn’t just off, it had left the Kingdom.

Sadly for LL and family, Leo and I never did find our mojo that morning. I had a hard time getting ourselves to a place to meet up with LL, and then when we did connect to ride Pirates, Pirates was down. After a restroom break, Pirates was back up and running and we did manage to get that one ride in with our friends. And then, in the best interests of all concerned, I called the audible; GET ME OUT OF HERE!!!

Knowing that we still had the evening with our friend-family, leaving the MK right then and there was the smart decision. We were on a road to nowhere fast and I sure didn’t want my bad mojo infecting LL, too. So Leo and I went back to Kidani for some much-needed down time.

Looking back, I have a little more insight on what happened, I think. Leo and I are alike in that we can only take so much heat, crowded conditions and stimulation. And it’s very, very hard to get a break from all of those things in Central Florida. What we really needed was a day at home. While we are within a two hour drive of WDW, going home for a day seems pretty silly. So, were I to plan this trip over again, I think I’d either have cut it shorter, or found something to do outside of theme parks – maybe find a nature preserve, go horseback riding, or visit a library.

Since we didn’t do any of that, we made the most of our final days at Kidani. I think we may have hit the pool again, and Leo enjoyed a long soak in the Jacuzzi tub in the master bath.

4790766944_8c5d4b3903.jpg

The down time definitely helped; it was with a much improved – though still fairly cynical – attitude that I led us to Epcot for our final group dinner.

Mercifully, Epcot (EP) felt much less crowded than the MK had earlier, and the heat didn’t seem quite as bad. We roamed around a bit with T and family; did a little shopping in the Japan pavilion and sat down to watch a performance by a Rolling Stones tribute band at the America Gardens Theater. For the record, they weren’t bad at all, though “Keith” looked a tad too… alive. :lmao:

Pretty soon, LL,Tony and Michael arrived and we all walked back to Morocco for our dinner reservation. It was time for my first-ever meal at Restaurant Marrakesh.

Sadly, it was also my last-ever meal at Restaurant Marrakesh.

We’d all been looking forward to this one – I believe both T and LL had been there before and enjoyed it, and I’d read many rave reviews. The kids (and men-folk, I’m sure) we’re excited to see the belly dancers. It sounded like the perfect location for a festive dinner among friends. The only thing “festive” about it was us, though.

First, with 98% of the tables wide open and available, we were seated in the faaaar back upper corner, just outside a service station and nowhere near the musicians and dancers. Leo was already fighting tiredness and crankiness; his inability to even see the entertainment made for one snarly eight-year-old.

4790156733_98968ae9b1.jpg

Trust V – that’s a smirk, not a smile.

Our server was… not good. He had a hard time getting out orders and I seem to recall an attitude when someone at our table requested a clean something or other (Glass? Knife? Napkin? Does it matter?! Just be pleasant!). And he completely screwed up the checks at the end of our meal.

But the ultimate death knoll for Marrakesh was my dinner. Still savoring my amazing meal at Sanaa the night before, I ordered the Vegetarian Couscous. I make[/] vegetarian couscous at home, so trust me, I wasn’t expecting anything fancy. But I was expecting something flavorful. And cooked properly. Instead, I received a dish of overcooked, soggy vegetables over plain couscous with the approximate taste of MDF.

Wait – it gets better…

MDF …for $21. TWENTY-ONE DOLLARS worth of bad vegetables and grain! I haven’t been that disappointed in a Disney meal since the atrocity Tony’s Town Square referred to as “Chicken Parmesan” eight years ago.

Nobody else was all that impressed with their food, either, and we collectively swore it off for future trips. And another WDW foodery is tossed from the line-up.

All, however, was not lost. Because, just down the path was my salvation – a Grey Goose Limon slushie in the France pavilion.

Mmmmmmmmmmm. :love:

4790827558_7286acbcfb.jpg

Salvation in hand, I caught up with T and family in Italy and we all walked slowly around the World Showcase. LL and family had ventured the other direction, for a little shopping in Japan, I believe. It was a beautiful evening and just strolling along was relaxing and fun!

We did have a goal – to wind up in Mexico in time for Illuminations. We arrived just as the sun was setting and had a great spot from which to watch. The grown-ups indulged in our after-dinner drinks, and the kids horsed around, mostly by piling on Andy.

4790168365_edab4172fd.jpg
4790168355_3f6824b3b7.jpg

But WHERE were LL and the Mominators?! You can see T texting away up there – we found out that LL’s group got slowed down along the way, so they pulled over to watch the show elsewhere.

I confess, I like illuminations, but I don’t love it. I prefer my fireworks unadorned by lasers and fire. Also, I’m still bitter about the replacement of Rhapsody in Blue with whatever it is they play as musical accompaniment these days. Still, it was bright, and loud, and energetic, and it was more than nice to enjoy it in the company of friends.

And it wasn’t long before we found LL, again…

4790168373_92224e70ac.jpg

I remember that we took our time leaving that night, stopping in Mouse Gears for a little shopping and walking slowly to the car. We all knew the end was coming very, very soon and, even though I was ready to leave WDW, I was not at all ready to leave our friends-family. :sad1:

Next: Hit me baby one more time.

:thumbsup2 Yay for giant bathtubs and lots of bubbles!!! Leo looks too cute!

And yes - I third that complaint about the beds at Kidani...we didn't have a decent night's sleep at all - and every time you even breathed funny the bed would loudly squeak...:rolleyes:

And I think you may have been a few hundred short on your estimate of the number of hot, angry, sweaty people that day at MK...we left pretty much right after you I think...we skipped out on Space Mountain FP's and everything.

Ahhh...Marrakesh...

Ick. That's all I have to say. I was bummed. When we went last time the service and the food were both great, and of course, Tony and M loved the belly dancer. Imagine Tony's disappointment - showing up with a pocket full of singles only to be in the way back corner!! :lmao:

It was still fun though!

Yeah - we had to go to Japan so M could spend all his hard earned (cough*cough*stolenfromTony'spantspockets*cough*cough) money. Then we stopped to catch a little of the NotRolling Stones. Then of course, I had to get 2 beers, just so I wouldn't run out during Illuminations!! :rolleyes1

We watched (if this is the same night I'm thinking of) from over by Italy?

Glad we caught up though...I remember going to MouseGear...and a lot of neck craning and arm flailing by a certain someone...;) but after that, I'm not sure...it's fuzzy....:rolleyes:

Maybe we shouldn’t have.

:scared:

:
Because I was quickly realizing that 10 days/ 9 nights at The Happiest Place on Earth was several nights and days too many for us.

We have learned that too. a week is more than enough for us ::yes::

So Leo and I went back to Kidani for some much-needed down time.

Good idea!

maybe find a nature preserve, go horseback riding, or visit a library.

We always try and find something to do somewhere else, even for one day. Old Town (when it was good), just hanging at my parents, even a trip to the mall...just to get that break ::yes::

Oh no, I had heard such wonerful things about this place:sad2:

MDF …for $21. TWENTY-ONE DOLLARS worth of bad vegetables and grain!

Highway Robbery:eek:

I confess, I like illuminations, but I don’t love it.

I am not a huge fan and Jimmy really doesn't like it because of how close and LOUD it is.

Next: Hit me baby one more time.

Can't wait...or can I? Do I want to know if you were really hit?:confused3

Yeah - we had to go to Japan so M could spend all his hard earned (cough*cough*stolenfromTony'spantspockets*cough*cough) money. Then we stopped to catch a little of the NotRolling Stones. Then of course, I had to get 2 beers, just so I wouldn't run out during Illuminations!! :rolleyes1

Let me guess. He got a transforme, power ranger, pokemon????

Okay, I looked-in on this a day or two ago, now back to comment...

Also, 2,548 dads who felt they weren’t getting their money’s worth; 4,223 hot, tired toddlers; and 3,762 burnt-out moms who were determined to get those kids on Dumbo FIRST or die trying.

I sat here considering these numbers, and I came to the conclusion that they're probably about right on any given day! At least at that time of day. Around 2pm they go WAY up.

I was most certainly not feeling the magic that morning. It was strange; it felt as though all of the gracious guests and happy Cast Members of the first half of our trip had been magically whisked away and replaced with their opposites. Everyone seemed to be in a rush to nowhere and there was no sense of camaraderie at all. I’ve speculated that the “good” guests all took their trips the week prior to and including July 4th, while the “bad” guests showed up just after July 4th. I have no idea if that’s true, but that’s how it felt.

Bummer. Perhaps it is possible for a trip to be too long.

Since we didn’t do any of that, we made the most of our final days at Kidani. I think we may have hit the pool again, and Leo enjoyed a long soak in the Jacuzzi tub in the master bath.

4790766944_8c5d4b3903.jpg

Love this picture. Leo looks so relaxed!

did a little shopping in the Japan pavilion and sat down to watch a performance by a Rolling Stones tribute band at the America Gardens Theater. For the record, they weren’t bad at all, though “Keith” looked a tad too… alive. :lmao:

I've always wanted to see this group, but we've never been there the right week. I saw the actual Stones in concert a few years ago and they were great!

I've never eaten there, but most reviews I've seen have been on the negative side. However, the other day I was talking to a colleague who's heading to the World in December and he told me that this is the one place he always goes to, he loves it. But he hasn't tried too many other places, so I'm trying to steer him to a few others.

All, however, was not lost. Because, just down the path was my salvation – a Grey Goose Limon slushie in the France pavilion.

Mmmmmmmmmmm. :love:

I just had my first one in June and I agree with your assessment! :thumbsup2

The grown-ups indulged in our after-dinner drinks, and the kids horsed around, mostly by piling on Andy.

4790168365_edab4172fd.jpg

This is a great picture. I wonder what did T's son see? His expression is amazing!

I have days like those, too. It is usually at least once during a week trip where I just don't feel "it".

I tried my first Grey Goose slushie last November and yummo. I can't try to have an entire one this March. I just snuck a sip of my friends to try since I was pregnant. It will be all mine come March:thumbsup2

So sorry to hear the magic went away at the end. I guess now you know what the perfect length trip for you is. Maybe one day I will get to try and see if a ten day trip is too long for me.;) Leo had the right idea with that bubble bath.

I have some free time tonight, and I plan to spend it getting started on your trip report.

I'm in and I'm excited!!!

:surfweb:

I just discovered your TR, and I had to pop in just to say...

It's made me feel all warm and fuzzy (disclaimer: I did have 2 glasses of wine with dinner tonight...)! The fact that you were all so happy to see each other, and that your kids get along so well -- despite the inevitable WDW ups-and-downs, it just seems really magical. Thanks so much for sharing! (And also for writing so well.)

Hey V,

So sorry you and Leo had a kind of cranky day (though you both look great in all the pictures!) I can't say I've ever had too long a visit to the World, but it's bound to happen someday...... It's good that you recognized the need for a break, anyway.

I, like Glenn, have read and heard mostly negatives on Marrakesh. Guess I can add yours to the list. I won't be heading there soon, for sure! I'll just stick to Tangierine Cafe ;)

Love that slushie picture of you. Very cute. And who doesn't love a slushie?! I plan on being right there in about 6 days :thumbsup2

Oh, looky, NM on the trip report board! Hi NM!!

Morning V !!! I too love the pix of Andy with all the kids !! I saw the Stones , more years ago than I care to mention in Concert in Cambridge England !!!!

Just read your last update and I have experienced that same feeling when the mojo is gone and you just need a break from the crowds, the heat, and the craziness. I did so much better on my last trip when I limited my time in the parks and took advantage of the DVC pool hopping privilege. I can get over stimulated with too many people and too much pushing and touching and standing in line, so I get it. smart that you took a break and leo looked like he had a blast in the tub.

Boo to the horrible meal in Morocco. I see that GCS really helped cheer you up! Yum!

Ah yes, the dog-pile on Andy......isn't it cute? I almost had him convinced we need a 3rd, but since we don't have any trips to Vegas, that's not happening. ;)

Yeesh, I felt so bad about Marrakesh. We loved it 3 years ago. Obviously lots can happen in 3 years. :sad2: Oh, and that server was a complete jackhole! :headache:

I'm glad we skipped out on MK, sounds scary. That was the morning we EMH'd it to AK so Maddie could get her final bid on the summit. It was fantastic! Then we skedaddled over to EP.

10 days IS about 2 days too many for us, too. I vote we spend 8 days in Disney, then head to the beach and unwind for 2 days. :thumbsup2

I love the pic of Leo in the tub! The kids sure loved that tub! :lmao:

And yes - I third that complaint about the beds at Kidani...
Isn't that weird? I mean, I haven't had a bad bed anywhere on WDW property except there - WTH did they do?! :sad2:
:rotfl: That's right - it's all coming back to me now!

We have learned that too. a week is more than enough for us ::yes::
I think if we'd been able to lounge around by the pool more, we'd have felt differently, but it was definitely too many park days.
We always try and find something to do somewhere else, even for one day. Old Town (when it was good), just hanging at my parents, even a trip to the mall...just to get that break
::yes:: I'm totally working that into the next trip, and we're only going 4 nights!
I am not a huge fan and Jimmy really doesn't like it because of how close and LOUD it is.
Yep, loud is the issue for Leo, too. But it did seem a little better where we were, in MX.
Can't wait...or can I? Do I want to know if you were really hit?
LOL! Maybe. With a paddle. :rolleyes1

I sat here considering these numbers, and I came to the conclusion that they're probably about right on any given day! At least at that time of day. Around 2pm they go WAY up.
Soooo true!
I saw the actual Stones in concert a few years ago and they were great!
:worship: Here's my Stones concert story: Friends and I had no tickets, but were ready to pay scalpers top dollar, so we left work and drove from Buffalo, NY to Toronto for the concert. In a blizzard. Listening to the radio announcer say the thruways were shutting down. We had 4-wheel drive and kept on going... the 2 hour drive took 4, but we got there... and could not find a single scalper! Apparently, ticket scalpers don't go out in blizzards. :confused3 So we drove back home, in the snow, listening to the concert on the radio. :sad1:
This is a great picture. I wonder what did T's son see? His expression is amazing!
I think that was when LL and team arrived!

V I know exactly what you mean!!!!
I remember you saying you guys were DONE by the end of your fortnight!

I tried my first Grey Goose slushie last November and yummo. I can't try to have an entire one this March. I just snuck a sip of my friends to try since I was pregnant. It will be all mine come March
Yes, yes, yes - you deserve a whole one next time! :thumbsup2

So sorry to hear the magic went away at the end. I guess now you know what the perfect length trip for you is. Maybe one day I will get to try and see if a ten day trip is too long for me.;)
Y'know, I'm glad we tried it, and you're right - we know now what's "too much."

I have some free time tonight, and I plan to spend it getting started on your trip report.
Aw, NM, thanks for reading - it's good to have you here! :goodvibes

I just discovered your TR, and I had to pop in just to say...

It's made me feel all warm and fuzzy (disclaimer: I did have 2 glasses of wine with dinner tonight...)! The fact that you were all so happy to see each other, and that your kids get along so well -- despite the inevitable WDW ups-and-downs, it just seems really magical. Thanks so much for sharing! (And also for writing so well.)
:goodvibes And now you're making me feel all Fuzzy too - thank you! (Disclaimer: I may have had a buncha wine at the Food & Wine Fest this weekend - lol!) It's honestly incredible to all of us, too, that we all get along so well. We're so fortunate to have found one another!

AshClan said:
So sorry you and Leo had a kind of cranky day (though you both look great in all the pictures!) I can't say I've ever had too long a visit to the World, but it's bound to happen someday...... It's good that you recognized the need for a break, anyway.
I think a lot of it has to do with our regular visits; in the past we never even went during crowded periods, and if it ever was a little more crowded than we like, we'd just call it a day and go home. I kind of felt trapped this summer, lol!
I, like Glenn, have read and heard mostly negatives on Marrakesh. Guess I can add yours to the list. I won't be heading there soon, for sure! I'll just stick to Tangierine Cafe
Good call - I can't under any circumstances recommend Messakesh after that meal, I'm afraid. :sad2:
And who doesn't love a slushie?! I plan on being right there in about 6 days
YAY!!! If you like slushies, I also recommend the mojito from the Puerto Rico Food & Wine booth - it was lovely! :thumbsup2

Morning V !!! I too love the pix of Andy with all the kids !!
Weren't they funny?! And see my sad, sad Stones story above. :sad2:

Just read your last update and I have experienced that same feeling when the mojo is gone and you just need a break from the crowds, the heat, and the craziness. I did so much better on my last trip when I limited my time in the parks and took advantage of the DVC pool hopping privilege.
::yes:: I haven't been able to pool hop yet - we keep timing our vacations in the blackout periods! But I really want to utilize that in the future; the Poly pool is an oasis! :cloud9:

Ah yes, the dog-pile on Andy......isn't it cute? I almost had him convinced we need a 3rd, but since we don't have any trips to Vegas, that's not happening.
:rotfl2: Why do you think I switched to Sedona next summer?! ;)
Yeesh, I felt so bad about Marrakesh.
Don't! You weren't cooking! ;) I'm still glad we tried it; I'd been wanting to for years.
10 days IS about 2 days too many for us, too. I vote we spend 8 days in Disney, then head to the beach and unwind for 2 days.
Or... just go to HI instead?! :teeth:

Well, when the mojo is gone, it's gone! :sad2: At least you knew it & retreated to your own little part of the "world" to recoup!! And recoup you did! :goodvibes
Never ate at Marrakesh. It just doesn't appeal to my eating habits. :rotfl: Won't be going there!
Never had a Grey Goose slushie......perhaps I should try that!!! :lmao:
What was wrong with the beds at Kidani????? I'll be there in 12 days!! :confused3

Hey V!

I'm playing catchup again on my DIS-ing. Great installment. Sorry to hear that MK was a bust.

And dinner.

But it looks like you did enjoy some down time and were able to relax a bit.

Which is definitely a nifty thing!

Well, when the mojo is gone, it's gone!
LOL, so true! We really never have in-between states at WDW... we're either having a great time or a lousy time!
What was wrong with the beds at Kidani????? I'll be there in 12 days!! :confused3
Shoot, I missed you, but I'm curious to see what you think of them! I don't really know what it was - maybe lack of pillowy-ness in the pillow-top? I think mostly, for me, it was the pillows that caused so much neck and shoulder pain, though.

Hey V!

I'm playing catchup again on my DIS-ing. Great installment. Sorry to hear that MK was a bust.

And dinner.

But it looks like you did enjoy some down time and were able to relax a bit.

Which is definitely a nifty thing!
Thanks GB! Yes, relaxing = GOOD. I could use some of that right now, actually. Can you hear it? Disney is calling me... ;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
YIKES! :eek: It's really been 2 weeks since I last updated?! I'm back to school - again - and have had no free time. I'm sorry! WIth only one more night and day left, I need to wrap this up. Like, before our next trip. :lmao: Soon, I promise! Thanks for hanging in there :flower3:

Hey V! Just popping in to say that I got my slushie last Thursday:

IMG_1070.jpg

(sorry so fuzzy....)

And, despite the fact that it gave me the WORST brain freeze I've ever had, it was awesome!

Did not get to the PR mojito. The line was way too long. However, for anyone reading who might be heading to F&W, THIS is a MUST DO:

IMG_1115.jpg

The Cosmo slushie from the France booth. Mmm mmm good! Oh, and the short rib/mashed potato/cabernet sauce beside it was our favorite food item, as well!

Looking forward to hearing about the rest of your trip!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter