The Random Thread and The Endless Nights of Baseball Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pants - Don't make a comment about an Englishman's pants - they are his underwear! Same for ladies too, though knickers would be more common. We were in a pub in England one day when two attractive American girls walked in wearing quite short skirts and one loudly said to the other that she was cold and that she should have worn pants! Needless to say she instantly had the attention of every Englishman in the place, who thought there was nothing under her skirt!

Pedestrian crossing - Crosswalk to you chaps. As you'll see we have several versions - mostly involving animals like Pelicans and Zebras!

Pelican crossing - The black and white bars across the road with a green and red man lighting up to show pedestrians when to walk and when to stay.

Zebra crossing - Similar to the pelican but with flashing orange beacons on either side. If a pedestrian steps onto a either crossing, you should stop. Unless you are in London in which case your job is to kill them.

zebra.gif

Bank holiday - There are about eight bank holidays every year in Blighty. They are the days that everyone has off. They are called bank holidays because the banks close on them, as do most businesses. Here they are; New Years Day, Good Friday, Easter Monday, two May Bank Holidays, August Bank Holiday, Christmas Day and Boxing Day. Now you know!

British English
American English​
colour
color​
humour
humor​
favourite
favorite​
theatre
theater​
kilometre
kilometer​
mum, mam or mom *
mom​
cosy
cozy​
realise
realize​
dialogue
dialog​
traveller
traveler​
cheque
check​
jewellery
jewelry​
tyre
tire​

The ones I find ridiculous are the bolded ones

Cosy? The sounds so dumb xD
There's no need for so many 'l' s in traveler and jewelry...
Cheque is the worst... Really? Why so complicated?
All of these British words are complicated! Just go the simple way, it's much easier! Get rid of the extra letter, in most cases

...what is a public school in England? I think you mean private or independent, dear xD

I just got it from some website, so I dunno...

I know :( I'll be sure to tell him about the We Love Boyfriend Thread y'all are going to make :rotfl:

I shall get Meg to make it! She will enjoy being "Queen" of that thread too xD
Actually, Allie you'll be Queen of that thread!

...what is a public school in England? I think you mean private or independent, dear xD

No they actually all mean the same thing... more well known as a private school which is independently funded but older people may call it a public school because the sterotype of public school boys lol

British English
American English​
colour
color​
humour
humor​
favourite
favorite​
theatre
theater​
kilometre
kilometer​
mum, mam or mom *
mom​
cosy
cozy​
realise
realize​
dialogue
dialog​
traveller
traveler​
cheque
check​
jewellery
jewelry​
tyre
tire​

All of these British words are complicated! Just go the simple way, it's much easier! Get rid of the extra letter, in most cases

sorry if anyone patriotic gets offended... (;

well darling, we INVENTED those words, the Americans just dumbedthemdown.

hehehhe.

Something happened today... and I thought "I need to tell Eimear about this" but now I forgot!

... I'm assuming it has something to do with the Red Sox...

British English
American English​
colour
color​
humour
humor​
favourite
favorite​
theatre
theater​
kilometre
kilometer​
mum, mam or mom *
mom​
cosy
cozy​
realise
realize​
dialogue
dialog​
traveller
traveler​
cheque
check​
jewellery
jewelry​
tyre
tire​

You're the one changing the spellings, luv :p

Cat's eyes - In the middle of British roads there are little white reflectors. They are made of glass and are designed just like the eyes of a cat. They are mounted in a rubber housing and inserted into a hole in the road surface. When a car drives over them, they are pushed into the hole and when they pop back up - they are cleaned! Clever huh? Road reflectors are the nearest thing you have in the US. The guy who invented them actually came across a cat facing him on a dark night. Lucky it wasn't facing the other way - or he might have invented the pencil sharpener!!

No they actually all mean the same thing... more well known as a private school which is independently funded but older people may call it a public school because the sterotype of public school boys lol

oh okay xD it's just cause I went to a private/independent/public/preparatory whatever you wanna call it primary school xD

loved private school:-)

Double decker - This is a bus. One that has an upstairs and a downstairs. They were abundant when I was using them as a kid but nowadays most of them seem to have ended up as tourist buses around New York and other large US cities. Sometimes with the roof removed. They also have "Genuine London Bus" in huge letters down the side for some reason.

Double yellow lines - The double yellow lines are the no parking zone. Well I suppose you could park there but the chances are the car won't be there when you return. The traffic wardens are pretty hot on cars parked on double yellows. By the way - you can generally park on single yellow lines after 6pm and at weekends unless it says otherwise on a nearby lamp-post.

You're the one changing the spellings, luv :p

Cat's eyes - In the middle of British roads there are little white reflectors. They are made of glass and are designed just like the eyes of a cat. They are mounted in a rubber housing and inserted into a hole in the road surface. When a car drives over them, they are pushed into the hole and when they pop back up - they are cleaned! Clever huh? Road reflectors are the nearest thing you have in the US. The guy who invented them actually came across a cat facing him on a dark night. Lucky it wasn't facing the other way - or he might have invented the pencil sharpener!!

I know!
And they're alot faster to type and spell that way
And I like using the letter "z" instead of "s" like in "realize" "realise"... even though using an "s" makes more sense.. "z"'s are cool letters and aren't used enough!

Double decker - This is a bus. One that has an upstairs and a downstairs. They were abundant when I was using them as a kid but nowadays most of them seem to have ended up as tourist buses around New York and other large US cities. Sometimes with the roof removed. They also have "Genuine London Bus" in huge letters down the side for some reason.

Double yellow lines - The double yellow lines are the no parking zone. Well I suppose you could park there but the chances are the car won't be there when you return. The traffic wardens are pretty hot on cars parked on double yellows. By the way - you can generally park on single yellow lines after 6pm and at weekends unless it says otherwise on a nearby lamp-post.

PARKING PATAWEYO!
omg the last one was so funny xD
everyone feels sorry for Parking Pataweyo. xD

I remember!
Eimear, in the hallway I saw a guy wearing a Boston shirt at school. Me and my friend went up to him and told him "Ugly shirt" and he goes "My mom makes me wear it" xD I was like "What?" and he's like "My mom loves baseball, especially the red sox." and I was like "Oh, and you don't?" and he was like "No, I do ballet." Me and my friend just turned around and walked away, and then started laughing

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter