The Random Thread and The Endless Nights of Baseball Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the one I'm under now is 2-3-4ish togs. cause I get REALLY hot at night, and I can't sleep with anything higher than 5 togs. otherwise I die from overheating xD

Video - We use this word to mean the video cassette recorder or VCR to you, as well as the video you put in it. Just like in the US - most people have no idea how to operate it. Only the under 10s have mastered most videos.

Doubt they'd know how to use it now!

White goods - When you visit a British store that sells things for the home you will find a section for white goods. These are the electrical appliances that you have in your kitchen or utility room like fridges, freezers, washing machines and driers. The name is cunningly derived from their colour!

white.gif

watching National Treasure 2 trying to tidy uni room :P ahh i so should go to bed
buttttt whats with all the UK definitions tonight??? Like reading them though but haha at the duvet one, if you live in america i guess the phrase "duvet day" doesnt work :)

Bacon - You also have bacon, but one of the things I missed was British bacon. Not the fact that it comes from Britain, more the choice. You seem to have one choice - bacon. We have back, throughcut, streaky, smoked, green and dry cured. The one we call "streaky" is the cheapest as there is almost no meat on it. It is the closest to the bacon you have in the US. The most expensive is back, as it is almost all meat. Your bacon is nice and crisps up, but for the country that likes choice, it's odd that there is none.

Couch - Sofa to you. America has some of the largest furniture in the world, yet the only sofa too small to make love in, you call a Love Seat!

Duvet - Most Brits have dispensed with blankets and sheets and now sleep under a duvet. It is similar to a comforter but has a removable cover that can be washed. Duvet's warmth is measured in togs, 2 or 3 togs for summer duvets and 11 or more for winter ones.

Earth - This, in electrical terms is what you call ground. You will find appliances that say "this appliance must be earthed" for example. Or when wiring an electrical plug the third pin will be marked "earth".

Loft - Our loft is your attic.

I say couch, not sofa

Duvet, I used to have one at my old house. Now I have a comforter.

I just say ground, much easier xD

Loft and Attic are two different things. Attic is either where you store stuff or it could be a finished attic. Loft is where it's a bedroom and not completely sealed off (and it's finished).

EIMEAR MAKE A "We Love Boyfriend" Thread!
no xD it wasn't even my idea xD
I say couch, not sofa

Duvet, I used to have one at my old house. Now I have a comforter.

I just say ground, much easier xD

Loft and Attic are two different things. Attic is either where you store stuff or it could be a finished attic. Loft is where it's a bedroom and not completely sealed off (and it's finished).

I say sofa, rotfl.

nope, our loft is where we store our JUNK xD and you need a ladder to get up there, I've never been up, or even seen in our loft before...
I think the last time someone went up there was when we had cavity stuff put in...

LOL! The monster is a potty mouth, both figuratively and literally!

Another word for sofa is seatee.

Pudding - Dessert of any type is called pudding. What you call pudding is called banana custard in England. There are also some brands of kids dessert called Instant Whip and Angel Delight which closely resemble American "pudding", but we don't have a generic term for these.

Well, that mystery from a couple of weeks ago is now solved.

Aga - A type of stove that not only cooks the dinner but in many cases, heats the water and the house too. You used to find an Aga in most farmhouses but they have become a status symbol in the UK and have become very popular in any sort of house.

my friend has an aga in her house! omg I looooove her house, it's all big and old fashioned with old wooden floors, and when we go out in the cold and rain and our shoes get wet, we put them in the aga and sit next to it to warm up! love agas <3

Treacle pudding - There's nothing nicer than a hot, steaming treacle pudding on a cold winter night. Smothered in custard and without a single calorie! Well maybe I lied about the last bit. Treacle pudding is a steamed pudding, eaten for dessert with a runny syrup topping.

Twiglets - These are an important part of the British culinary culture. They look and feel like little sticky twigs, though they are really a snack with a strange marmite tang - hence the stickiness. Try them when you visit.

Vacuum flask - A vacuum flask is a thermos to you. It keeps hot things hot and cold things cold. I have an ice cream and some coffee in mine. Not!

British English
American English​
Friend / Mate
Friend​
Rubber
Eraser​
Maths
Math​
Public School
Private School​
State School
Public School​
Holiday
Vacation​
Packed lunch
Sack lunch/bag lunch​
School dinner
Hot Lunch​
Staff Room
Teachers Lounge​
Plimsolls
Gym Shoes​
"Mucking Around" / Off Task
Off Task / Fooling Around /
"Goofing Off"​
Play Time / Break Time
Recess​
Open Day / Open Evening
Open House​
Marking Scheme
Grading Scheme​
Drawing pins
pushpins or thumbtacks​
Headmaster/mistress
Headteacher
Principal​
Caretaker/porter
Janitor​

Wine gums - These are a kind of sweet that are made from the same stuff as Gummi-bears. They are bigger and round and very useful for shutting the kids up for about an hour!

Cozzy - Grab your cozzy - we're going swimming. It is short for your swimming costume, or bathing suit.

it makes me cringe when people say cozzy xD

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter