The problem with Disneyland

Valid points but also very much a matter of perspective. In regards to crowds, as a guest sure they are not fun but from a business perspective it means you are doing something right. I work in transportation. We strive to achieve maximum capacity when possible because it means we are using our equipment, and the public’s money, efficiently. Sure we get complaints from those who say it’s too crowded but the reverse is also true. If we are not transporting enough people we get asked why we can’t increase the number of people carried.

For every person who says Disney needs to do more to innovate, provide new experiences, new value you have people who are upset Star Wars Land is being built. For every person who says the cost of admission is to high you have someone else saying raise the tickets so we can reduce the number of people.

Valid points but also very much a matter of perspective. In regards to crowds, as a guest sure they are not fun but from a business perspective it means you are doing something right. I work in transportation. We strive to achieve maximum capacity when possible because it means we are using our equipment, and the public’s money, efficiently. Sure we get complaints from those who say it’s too crowded but the reverse is also true. If we are not transporting enough people we get asked why we can’t increase the number of people carried.

For every person who says Disney needs to do more to innovate, provide new experiences, new value you have people who are upset Star Wars Land is being built. For every person who says the cost of admission is to high you have someone else saying raise the tickets so we can reduce the number of people.
So very true.

However, I think there's a point where the average guest experience is greatly affected. Just because people are there, doesn't mean they like what they are getting. The repeat visitors such as AP holders may speak volumes, but for example, there are also parents who go to Disneyland because "it's what you do with your children" and may be less about what is pleasurable to them.

Disney is surely laughing all the way to the bank. So while I don't blame them, as they are here to make money for their shareholders (myself included), I think there is room in this world for business good will. On that point, I may be fooling myself...

I do think the people who are up in arms about Star Wars Land are a bit nuts, but I can see the point and perhaps agree with those who don't like the placement of it in Disneyland Park versus DCA or a 3rd gate.

So very true.

However, I think there's a point where the average guest experience is greatly affected. Just because people are there, doesn't mean they like what they are getting. The repeat visitors such as AP holders may speak volumes, but for example, there are also parents who go to Disneyland because "it's what you do with your children" and may be less about what is pleasurable to them.

Disney is surely laughing all the way to the bank. So while I don't blame them, as they are here to make money for their shareholders (myself included), I think there is room in this world for business good will. On that point, I may be fooling myself...

I do think the people who are up in arms about Star Wars Land are a bit nuts, but I can see the point and perhaps agree with those who don't like the placement of it in Disneyland Park versus DCA or a 3rd gate.

I agree the guest experience is important and should be a consideration for Disney. Unfortunately I think the money aspect of it means they have little reason to change, at least not in a means that will satisfy many. Look at the airlines. How often do you hear about delayed flights, lost luggage, missed connections and yet they are experiencing record profits, partly due to fuel, but also due to consolidation and demand.

I agree the guest experience is important and should be a consideration for Disney. Unfortunately I think the money aspect of it means they have little reason to change, at least not in a means that will satisfy many. Look at the airlines. How often do you hear about delayed flights, lost luggage, missed connections and yet they are experiencing record profits, partly due to fuel, but also due to consolidation and demand.
I guess the only thing I'd say about that is that, no matter the conditions, we basically HAVE TO travel via the airlines if you want to be more time efficient when traveling long distances. We don't have to go to Disneyland. But as you and others have correctly pointed out, the crowds have spoken and Disney isn't doing enough "wrong" to greatly reduce the attendance numbers. So now it's my choice whether to renew my AP when it comes up later this year or take a break-- like a vote. If 300,000+ people drop their APs, I imagine Disney would take notice, but it's business as usual as long as we continue to come in droves.

Sounds to me like you've just done it all enough. Take a few years off. Go back when your kids have kids, and you can take the grandkids and it'll all be cool again. If you're a sucker it's only because you keep buying annual passes to a park you admit you and your family are currently tired of and have outgrown. There is so much new going on there it is absolutely crazy to claim the parks are stagnant or that it's not enough. For some, even the moon would not be enough. I think you are just forcing it and you should take a few years, let your kids grow up, and go back later in life.

Sounds to me like you've just done it all enough. Take a few years off. Go back when your kids have kids, and you can take the grandkids and it'll all be cool again. If you're a sucker it's only because you keep buying annual passes to a park you admit you and your family are currently tired of and have outgrown. There is so much new going on there it is absolutely crazy to claim the parks are stagnant or that it's not enough. For some, even the moon would not be enough. I think you are just forcing it and you should take a few years, let your kids grow up, and go back later in life.

That's somewhat blaming the OP ("love it or leave it" perspective) and I disagree. The problems the OP described are common complaints, relevant to WDW as well as Disneyland, and I feel the same way. It's not about being tired of the experience: it's about the experience currently not being quite up to par. That's fixable, and Disney is famed for both innovation & customer service, so a fix should not be considered unreasonable or out-of-reach.

I appreciate the above sentiment, but the poster below is more my mindset. I fully recognize the idea that my family has grown and interests have changed along with a "been there, done that" attitude that may exist about Disneyland.

My issues mentioned in the original post are carefully considered to be problems with what Disneyland is currently providing versus me and my family's changing attitude towards Disneyland. I am not tired of the experience, but the experience can and should be better. I think these are reasonable expectations for Disney that they have let get out of hand (we can also debate the reasons why that is so, but that's a different topic). I won't be able to completely abandon Disneyland in the coming years, but I could see skipping APs for the foreseeable future due to the crowds.

That's somewhat blaming the OP ("love it or leave it" perspective) and I disagree. The problems the OP described are common complaints, relevant to WDW as well as Disneyland, and I feel the same way. It's not about being tired of the experience: it's about the experience currently not being quite up to par. That's fixable, and Disney is famed for both innovation & customer service, so a fix should not be considered unreasonable or out-of-reach.

Are they a problem anywhere there is a tourist attraction? For example, are locals a problem at the beach? At popular restaurants? Sporting events? People have to live somewhere. It's no surprise (and not a problem, in my opinion) if people who happen to live in Southern California like to visit DLR. If people who happen to live far away like visiting DLR, why shouldn't people who live closer?

The issue I have is when people (local or not) overrun an attraction or entertainment venue in the parks. They did it with Fantasmic and are doing it with the parades. They put down blankets to "reserve" spots and make it very hard for others to get spots without investing many hours to do so. It's just too hard for an occasional visitor on a short trip to give up all those hours just to find a sot to watch the parade or show. More frequent visitors can invest that amount of time because they can come back again to do the other things they want to do.

How do you know the people with the blankets (and I totally agree with you that this is so frustrating) are locals? I've seen so many people putting down multiple blankets, hoodies, towels, etc. so that one person and a stroller can save spots for 8-10 people. No way to know whether the spot saver is local or not. Although I have heard people say when questioned by CMs that they have the right to save so many spots because they are visiting from far away and won't be able to return soon. No matter where people are from, no one should be allowed to turn a ride or attraction into a parking lot for their personal advantage.

How do you know the people with the blankets (and I totally agree with you that this is so frustrating) are locals? I've seen so many people putting down multiple blankets, hoodies, towels, etc. so that one person and a stroller can save spots for 8-10 people. No way to know whether the spot saver is local or not. Although I have heard people say when questioned by CMs that they have the right to save so many spots because they are visiting from far away and won't be able to return soon. No matter where people are from, no one should be allowed to turn a ride or attraction into a parking lot for their personal advantage.

I didn't say the people with blankets were locals. I said "locals or not".

People who wait with their blanket hours before the parade don't bother me. What bothers me are those people who think they can leave a completely unattended blanket to save their space.

Or, as with F!, people putting down trash (yes, trash -- a heap of napkins, an empty coke cup, and a plastic bag) to save prime spots. Then exploding at the poor CM who had cleaned everything up.

I have one issue...the Backlot. For the love. Let's do something with that area!

Absolutely an issue and one I think they will tackle in the coming years, but more of an issue of theming and attractions. The crowds as a whole in DCA are mostly manageable especially compared to the Disneyland Park crowds.

I understand the OP's frustration a little, but we live in WA state and it costs our family $8-10,000.00 for our one week a year at Disneyland. Yes, we choose to go even though the last couple years have been horribly crowded. As an annual guest, it's incredibly frustrating to no longer have an off season. The parks are very crowded with payment plan locals. Sorry, it's true. And I would totally do the same thing if I lived there. In the mean time, we try and wade through the crowded Main Street, wait 90 minutes for Radiator Springs, knowing we won't be back for another year. It's lost a bit of the magic. :(

I understand the OP's frustration a little, but we live in WA state and it costs our family $8-10,000.00 for our one week a year at Disneyland. Yes, we choose to go even though the last couple years have been horribly crowded. As an annual guest, it's incredibly frustrating to no longer have an off season. The parks are very crowded with payment plan locals. Sorry, it's true. And I would totally do the same thing if I lived there. In the mean time, we try and wade through the crowded Main Street, wait 90 minutes for Radiator Springs, knowing we won't be back for another year. It's lost a bit of the magic. :(

Same here regarding the lost magic. Spending a vacation in line does that to you and we just wont do it anymore.
Wow you spend a lot on a Disney trip. We spend only about $3500 on a week trip and that's without any kind of budgeting.
We did spend about that much on our last trip though. The huge crowds are too much at this point so we went to Hawaii instead.

Well, we do have 5 kids. That's 7 plane tickets and hoppers for everyone. And usually two hotel rooms. And food, souvenirs, it all adds up. And until the last couple years, I didn't mind. The memories were amazing! But now, much of our memories are of how long the lines were, and how easy it is to lose our kids in a crowd. We were on Pirates last time with a couple ladies who bring their kids 2-3 times a week, sitting right behind us. They talked loudly the whole time of how bored they are with Disneyland and the kids were even asking to go somewhere else. My kids were thinking, how can they be bored with Disneyland??

I was in Disneyland in April after not having been there in 6 years. Before that, my husband and I would go to Disneyland about once a year. We are not locals and as some of the other posters stated, spend at least $3,000 when we are there. This last time we brought our five year old as well as the grandparents who haven't been in over twenty years and they were all extremely overwhelmed! We planned our trip during what we thought were off peak times and it was crazy! On a Saturday night it was shoulder to shoulder people not to mention several rides were closed and the fireworks cancelled (all but one night during our trip so we never got to see them from inside the park). If I lived closer I might be an AP holder but then on the other hand, I think why not give others who do travel quite a distance or save up for many years a chance to experience the magic without being overwhelmed with crowds, long lines and cancelled attractions?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter