The problem we had with Ohana

disneywalkers

Mouseketeer
Not the food or the service but people who decide to stay longer than necessary. We had an 8:10 ressie on my birthday January 10. Party of 10. They have 4/10 top tables in the middle. All 4 were full of parties who were still there just hanging out after dessert AND having paid the check. I spoke to the host who spoke to the servers who spoke to the manager who all three walked by many times in hopes of getting them to decide to love on without Ohana people having to be rude. We were finally offered to squeeze our 10 in at two round tables pushed together rather than waiting any longer. By then it was 9 PM. I had two kids fall asleep before dessert.

The host commented that they had paid 45 minutes ago and were still sitting there!

The problem is rude people who take no thought to those who also have ressies there.

I will never book any other time than around 5pm. We fortunately ate there twice this trip. The first time at 5:05 and seated right away of course. Food was great and Carlos is the best server there!

I always tell my kids to focus, eat, yes enjoy, but show courtesy to those others who too are paying big bucks to be there and not dilly dally.

This is such a big problem I think Ohana should put timers on the table so everyone can enjoy on time.

Did not make for the best birthday dinner.

sorry that happened. We had a similar issue with breakfast on our last trip. waited about an hour past our reservation time to get seated. I can't say what the issue was, they said they were behind. I think an hour is excessive...especially when kids are involved.

I have no problem with people taking their time and enjoying their meals but can't imagine why anyone would want to sit at a table an hour after having paid. I'm guessing with breakfast it has to do with the characters and dinner? maybe people hoping to get a glimpse of the fireworks from the restaurant? I don't know.

I don't think timers are the answer, I won't be eating at any restaurant that puts a timer on my table. now that you mention it though, our reservations have been pretty early in recent years since we have a 4 year old. our breakfast time was on departure day though and it was pretty late in the morning.

Not the food or the service but people who decide to stay longer than necessary. We had an 8:10 ressie on my birthday January 10. Party of 10. They have 4/10 top tables in the middle. All 4 were full of parties who were still there just hanging out after dessert AND having paid the check. I spoke to the host who spoke to the servers who spoke to the manager who all three walked by many times in hopes of getting them to decide to love on without Ohana people having to be rude. We were finally offered to squeeze our 10 in at two round tables pushed together rather than waiting any longer. By then it was 9 PM. I had two kids fall asleep before dessert.

The host commented that they had paid 45 minutes ago and were still sitting there!

The problem is rude people who take no thought to those who also have ressies there.

I will never book any other time than around 5pm. We fortunately ate there twice this trip. The first time at 5:05 and seated right away of course. Food was great and Carlos is the best server there!

I always tell my kids to focus, eat, yes enjoy, but show courtesy to those others who too are paying big bucks to be there and not dilly dally.

This is such a big problem I think Ohana should put timers on the table so everyone can enjoy on time.

Did not make for the best birthday dinner.

Having waitressed through college, I am keenly aware of what "table turnover" means to the server, the restaurant, and the guests waiting. I've dined with friends though who never waited tables and therefore were clueless about such. They had no idea and therefore didn't consider themselves rude.

We were there in December and noticed all the characters didn't hit all the tables. Maybe they were waiting for characters or maybe they were digesting and enjoying the ambience. Whatever the reason, I'm sorry you had a disappointing dinner.

. . . The problem is rude people who take no thought to those who also have ressies . . . This is such a big problem I think Ohana should put timers on the table so everyone can enjoy on time . . .

1) You have a point.
2) But, only from one view point.
3) If you are having a great time and kibitzing with friends/family, why break up?
. . . it could be the only time in years for folks to be together
. . . it could be years since everyone had a good time together
. . . it could be one of those serendipity times when everything was just going smoothly
. . . it could be the last time for some folks to be at a family get-together
4) Sure, eateries and waiters want table-turns, but guests should be able to enjoy themselves.
5) Besides, the WDW montra is, "Make the guest's WDW vacation the best vacation EVER."
6) Maybe family talks at meals helps make it their best vacation.

NOTE: We have major interest in two eateries (a breakfast/lunch diner and a
fine-dining dinner-only eatery). We would love it if folks would order, eat, pay and
vamoose, but in reality they can stay and talk. This is especially true for the fine
dining eatery which is in a "live theater" district. But, limiting table-time would lose
customers in the future. Many say those waiting will not come back, but eateries
LIVE on repeat business, and one does not upset the existing customers if possible.

As a former restaurant owner I understand the frustration on both sides, but it sounds like more of a resi timing error than anything else.
I don't agree that people should have to sit there conscious of other reservations, that is the restaurants problem, not the guests.
Was wishes at 9pm that night? If so they should anticipate that a large party seated around 7:15 (assuming it took about 45-60 minutes to get them fed and give them the check) probably isn't going anywhere before 9. (no matter how fast the server may shove that skewered food onto their plates)
Sorry this happened to you though, when you show up for your b-day dinner you expect and deserve to be seated in a reasonable amount of time.

Not to defend or offend anyone but, the way I hear that Ohana is trying to rush people thru .might be the issue as well. Sure, they might have paid their check 45 minutes ago but, they might have had the food forced at them in 15??? I know that Disney wants quick turnover and from what I have heard they try especially there to get the food out to you boom, boom boom. Maybe the system and reservation sheduling could be tweaked a little bit and it could ease the situation??? Just thinking out load

My guess is they were staying in their seats to watch Wishes. Does that make it right? No, but I do understand. With large parties, perhaps they couldn't get a ressie closer to the time for Wishes, but wanted to see it from the restaurant.

If I were the manager, I might have asked the party that had been there the longest to move to the two round tables you were given so your party could've sat together, but I'm not the manager.

I will admit to having been that inconsiderate table on a few occasions. Its a tough issue though. Both times my party did not realize how long we were there. We were having such a good time chatting that the time just flew by. One manager handled it exceptionally well by asking us to move to the bar area where there was plenty of room and buying a round.

One thing I would like to point out is that different families have different traditions. My family was always "eat and run". My husband's family doesn't consider dinner to be over until everyone has run out of things to say. It has nothing to do with finishing their food, or paying the check.:confused

Sorry your birthday dinner was delayed.

We have experienced a delay with breakfast and have found this secret. Book the latest breakfast available (more line brunch). You still get all the great food, but without the rush and guilt of being a table lingerer.

DH and I are always amazed at how we can be seated, order, enjoy a great meal/chat etc and be paid up and out well before most of the other tables around us who were ALREADY sitting and eating when we arrived. We don't rush, and we always order dessert and still manage to skedaddle for the next group.

A few years ago, we were ata Benihana type place that we had reserved the "party" section for my cousin's wedding rehearsal dinner. My sister and I showed up at 7pm to decorate and set up for the 7:30 party. We were shocked to find that the restaurant had seated guests in our reserved section! I asked the manager, who snapped at me that basically "too bad...not asking paying guests to get out."

So we waited....and waited...and waited...by 7:20 my sister and I were panicking (the wedding party was about to arrive), so we began cleaning the tables around where the remaining parties were siting. Their were two couples who had paid and were just sipping wine and chatting. We were literally cleaning the table (those long communal ones with the flat top in it) around them while they watched us. We set up centerpieces and place settings, tied balloons to some chairs...one couple finally got the hint and got up and left while the other stared at us quite amused.

The woman of the couple asked us "You guys setting up for a party?" Duh. So I looked at her, looked at my watch and said "Yes...the party starts in 5 minutes when the wedding couple arrives." Then I tied a balloon to her chair. They finally left.

DH and I are always amazed at how we can be seated, order, enjoy a great meal/chat etc and be paid up and out well before most of the other tables around us who were ALREADY sitting and eating when we arrived. We don't rush, and we always order dessert and still manage to skedaddle for the next group.

A few years ago, we were ata Benihana type place that we had reserved the "party" section for my cousin's wedding rehearsal dinner. My sister and I showed up at 7pm to decorate and set up for the 7:30 party. We were shocked to find that the restaurant had seated guests in our reserved section! I asked the manager, who snapped at me that basically "too bad...not asking paying guests to get out."

So we waited....and waited...and waited...by 7:20 my sister and I were panicking (the wedding party was about to arrive), so we began cleaning the tables around where the remaining parties were siting. Their were two couples who had paid and were just sipping wine and chatting. We were literally cleaning the table (those long communal ones with the flat top in it) around them while they watched us. We set up centerpieces and place settings, tied balloons to some chairs...one couple finally got the hint and got up and left while the other stared at us quite amused.

The woman of the couple asked us "You guys setting up for a party?" Duh. So I looked at her, looked at my watch and said "Yes...the party starts in 5 minutes when the wedding couple arrives." Then I tied a balloon to her chair. They finally left.

They were as inconvenienced by your decorating as you were by them being sat in your party area. How is that the guests fault?

Some people go to a restaurant to eat. Others go to dine. They prefer a slow, leisurely meal and enjoy taking time to savour the food, beverages and conversation with their table companions. Of course we would not pay the bill until we were ready to leave. If someone was so ill mannered as to hover behind my chair, or to cast unfriendly looks my way, I would be very inclined to order another bottle of wine...

I'm sure the majority of WDW visitors are American, but could it possibly have been some of those tables were Europeans? In Europe they don't even bring your check over till you wave them down, and even after that you are welcome to stay as long as you like. Sounds like an Ohana problem to me.Sorry, but if I'm going to sit down for a meal I want to relax and enjoy myself, not worry about the next table after me.

I look at this as akin to going to the movies:

You reserve your time, you pay for and receive the service (movie/meal), and when it's over, you leave.

It's doesn't matter how great of a time you're having, how long until you'll see one another again, how deep you are in conversation... Once the services are rendered, you get up and go. If you want the party to continue, you take it elsewhere where other people aren't waiting on you to get out of the way before they can enjoy themselves.

Would you really sit chatting an hour after the credits rolled and then complain that you were expected to leave before the next showing because "you were having such a good time you didn't want to leave?" No, get out. Have some respect for the staff, the establishment, and the other customers waiting on you.

They were as inconvenienced by your decorating as you were by them being sat in your party area. How is that the guests fault?

It wasn't their fault (I blame the restaurant management) and they weren't inconvenienced. They were all done and just hanging out.

Some people go to a restaurant to eat. Others go to dine. They prefer a slow, leisurely meal and enjoy taking time to savour the food, beverages and conversation with their table companions. Of course we would not pay the bill until we were ready to leave. If someone was so ill mannered as to hover behind my chair, or to cast unfriendly looks my way, I would be very inclined to order another bottle of wine...
I buy this for the sig restaurants, but 'Ohana? It's not exactly a place to have a nice leisurely conversation what with the ukulele lady and the coconut races and the parade, etc. I like the food, but I usually can't get out of there fast enough.

I currently work in a restaurant. While I don't think the guests should have to eat, pay, and leave, I do think they should be aware of a few things. I can only speak for the restaurants I've worked in but typically there is an hour and a half gap between a reservation that is for the use table. If there is a table of 4 sitting at Table A with a 630 reservation, typically there will be a different table of 4 sitting at Table A at 745 or 8. Turn em and burn em. The restaurant I work at is very quick with the food, we can usually get the meal out about 15 minutes after they order, which in my opinion gives me plenty of time to sit, enjoy, and relax. Last night we had a table of two come it at 630pm. They didn't order their meal until 715pm and they left at 10pm. Luckily they were in the corner out of the way so we could work around it.

I think the responsibility falls on both parties. The restaurant should never rush a table, but I do think a table should be cognoscente of what's going on around them. If a table has been there for 2 hours and they see a long wait at the door, its time to leave and let others enjoy a nice meal.

Just my two cents.

Even at non Disney restaurants we always try to get out as soon as possible after paying if we know there is a wait. I thought it was just common courtesy to do so.

However, the fault lies with Disney. I find it hard to believe that all the large parties had been sitting there that long past their allotted time. I think the more likely scenario is Disney released too many ADRs hoping the people eating in the restaurant could be rushed out by bringing the food and cheques as quickly as possibly.

If Disney wants to charge people for not being seated whether they show up or not, it is completely unreasonable to have long wait times like some restaurants are notorious for. Decrease the number of ADRs if they have to. They have now turned it into a pay service where you are charged if you don't want to wait, so they should be holding up their end too.

However, the fault lies with Disney. I find it hard to believe that all the large parties had been sitting there that long past their allotted time. I think the more likely scenario is Disney released too many ADRs hoping the people eating in the restaurant could be rushed out by bringing the food and cheques as quickly as possibly.

If Disney wants to charge people for not being seated whether they show up or not, it is completely unreasonable to have long wait times like some restaurants are notorious for. Decrease the number of ADRs if they have to. They have now turned it into a pay service where you are charged if you don't want to wait, so they should be holding up their end too.

This exactly, well said!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter