• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Pope is coming.....

not everyone on Dis is American or keeps track of where everyone lives!

What does that have to do with anything? A world dignitary is coming and she claimed she wanted to get out of "dodge" I would assume she would want to avoid the area due to traffic and crowds not that she had something against the Pope. I would want to get out of "dodge" if anyone on the Pope's level was coming to my town no matter who they were

Even not knowing where someone lives, the meaning of "get out of Dodge" is pretty clear. Even if that wasn't clear what in the world did you take offence to? I can't even imagine how what I typed could be offensive?

The Pope is coming, Im out of here, I want no part of this... inferring that you dont want him here, that you dont want to be where he is

If you had even made one reference to traffic and commuting then the context would have been different.

I just gotta say...this is odd. lol

I find, in general on this board, people can't admit that they typed a boo-boo and overreacted. No shame in that, just admit it and move along. Nope, we get the I'm-digging-my-heels-in-because-it-would-be-horrible-to-admit-I-responded-too-quickly-on-a-message board attitude.

I've done it myself a few times reading to fast and multitasking--totally took the tone of something wrong and had to come back and say OOOPS.

The Pope is coming, Im out of here, I want no part of this... inferring that you dont want him here, that you dont want to be where he is

If you had even made one reference to traffic and commuting then the context would have been different.

And so what if she was speaking literally, which no one else thought...who cares? There are leaders in this country I might say that about, I could be talking about wanting no parts of seeing them AND/OR the traffic headaches they bring

So what if she was saying that? Her life... Her opinion. Not to mention, "...you don't want him here..." is in no way inferred. She doesn't want to be there. That's not the same thing.

"Getting out of Dodge" refers to the town of Dodge City, Kansas I believe and was made famous on the show Gunsmoke. It is a very common phrase in America and generally means you want to get the heck out of a certain location before things get crazy (like crowds, traffic, etc.). That is all it really means. It is not stating a like or dislike of the event you are escaping.

I'm sure plenty wanted to "Get out of Dodge" before a Michael Jackson concert too...

Aaah Chsristine,
It's a hot mess here in Philly. So I live about 6 blocks from the parkway. Since yesterday I can't park in front of my home. I did get a free parking permit for a garage but it's not come in and go out. Once I park in the lot my car is stuck until Monday.

Starting Friday night my neighborhood is in a "no car zone" basically if I live the zone I will not be allowed back in. which means my son can't go to work Saturday and Im taking off on Monday

Ben Franklin bridge shut down. I 76 shut down FOR THE ENTIRE WEEKEND. I 76 is the major highway through the city

stupid helicopters have been flying overhead all day.

Many restaurants are not opening because since we have traffic restrictions, they can't get delivers.

I'm trying to get into the spirit but......

Can you WALK (or bicycle) out of the yellow zone then walk or bike back in?

I think I'm far enough away from Dodge where I won't be affected (South Jersey suburbs). I'm planning to get further away anyway, Cape May.

And it figures, on the rare day I'm home early enough to watch Judge Judy, both the NY and Phila. stations pre-empted it for the Pope's arrival in Washington.

anigif_enhanced-4736-1430318479-2.gif

I don't like NOBODY messin' with my Judge Judy. Fortunately, it was only for 15 minutes.

"Getting out of Dodge" refers to the town of Dodge City, Kansas I believe and was made famous on the show Gunsmoke. It is a very common phrase in America and generally means you want to get the heck out of a certain location before things get crazy (like crowds, traffic, etc.). That is all it really means. It is not stating a like or dislike of the event you are escaping.

I'm sure plenty wanted to "Get out of Dodge" before a Michael Jackson concert too...

Lol, amazing to what people get ruffled about.

Ok, some pics of Pope preparations from around the neighborhood
:

Signs on the poles

Not sure if they plan on giving water away or selling it

Port-on-potty all around the area

Lol, amazing to what people get ruffled about.

Ok, some pics of Pope preparations from around the neighborhood
:

Signs on the poles

Not sure if they plan on giving water away or selling it

Port-on-potty all around the area

What is this last picture??

Actually, I think it was more than obvious from her post what she meant. I'm in the Philly area, also in the path of hurricane Francis lol. No ill will intended for the man at all but the chaos that the visit causes is very stressful. The entire city will essentially shut down as of 7pm on Friday night.

Cherry Hill area here. Sounds like it will be crazy with road closures and such. DH has many customers who will be closing Friday and Saturday.

Thank goodness for the ports potties.
Is this in Philly? NYC or DC.

For some reason NYC doesn't' want you to go to the bathroom, they want you to hold it and leave.

Cherry hill area...my dad is in a bike club and usually their Saturday rides start out of palmyra. The bike club states this is all over hyped. I will err on the side of caution as huge crowds like this will send me over the edge. We are born and raised Catholic and you couldn't pay me to be near any of this.

I do think DC is better prepared for this sort of thing in general.

This whole thing started as the World Meeting of Families, basically a big huge convention, that starts tomorrow, so you already had tons of people coming in for that. Then add in the Pope who decided to say Mass on the Parkway (where the Art Museum is, think Rocky movie stairs) and that is bringing in more. The security here is over the top for us, you guys are probably use to it. Although I think they scared some people off but there were people lined up at church on Sunday for tickets to be in the area where the Pope will be saying Mass. They went super quick and many were disappointed.

The Pope is also not staying in the heart of Philly, he is staying at the seminary on the outskirts of town, so they have to get him around. And it is right near St Joseph's University so they are basically shut down (I went there so have been getting alumni updates)

It has been all Pope all the time around here.

There are roads in the suburbs, NOT in Philly, that they have lined with porta potties bc they think traffic might be that bad when some of the other roads into the city get shut down.

wow.. ok... I get that people may not be Catholic or even believe in religion... but show some respect. He is a 78 year old man, who is a world leader, as Pope he is also the Head Of State of Vatican City. He has travelled from Italy, to Cuba and now to USA. He is not on vacation , he is working.

Would you show disrespect like that to him if he was not The Pope but just the Head Of State of Vatican City???

I think that's a bit of an overreaction. I don't think the OP was being disrespectful at all. Have you any idea what it's like to deal with security concerns? It can be a pain in the neck to do everyday things when a world leader is in town. I worked in Midtown Manhattan, and it was hard to get from my office to Penn Station during the Republican convention in 2004 (a normal 5 minute walk took me at least 15-20 minutes and I had to show ID to get on the block where my office was), so I can only imagine how hard it will be when the Pope is in NYC at the end of the week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter