• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Pope is coming.....

Much ado about nothing I think!

I got home fine today and plan on going in each day. DC is used to hosting a lot of events and my office is not in the "path" of road closures. I'll probably have great traffic for the next 2 days!

Aaah Chsristine,
It's a hot mess here in Philly. So I live about 6 blocks from the parkway. Since yesterday I can't park in front of my home. I did get a free parking permit for a garage but it's not come in and go out. Once I park in the lot my car is stuck until Monday.

Starting Friday night my neighborhood is in a "no car zone" basically if I live the zone I will not be allowed back in. which means my son can't go to work Saturday and Im taking off on Monday

Ben Franklin bridge shut down. I 76 shut down FOR THE ENTIRE WEEKEND. I 76 is the major highway through the city

stupid helicopters have been flying overhead all day.

Many restaurants are not opening because since we have traffic restrictions, they can't get delivers.

I'm trying to get into the spirit but......

Aaah Chsristine,
It's a hot mess here in Philly. So I live about 6 blocks from the parkway. Since yesterday I can't park in front of my home. I did get a free parking permit for a garage but it's not come in and go out. Once I park in the lot my car is stuck until Monday.

Starting Friday night my neighborhood is in a "no car zone" basically if I live the zone I will not be allowed back in. which means my son can't go to work Saturday and Im taking off on Monday

stupid helicopters have been flying overhead all day.

We apparently had the helicopters and jets yesterday.

When they scare people into not driving into the city, does it make for easier driving, since everyone is scared off?

I am in the Philly suburbs, Catholic, kids go to Catholic etc and I am not going anywhere near "Dodge"...I admire the Pope as my religious leader but I will be doing that from my couch. The hoopla for this has been going on for a year now and Philly is going to be a mess. My brother manages a condo down in the city and he has to stay put Thurs until Mon in case they need him at his building. I know many people going, I know people singing in the Papal Choir but have no desire to deal with the crowds and traffic. Not my cup of tea.

When they scare people into not driving into the city, does it make for easier driving, since everyone is scared off?

Not really because so many streets will be closed to traffic period. for example, right now the entire parkway are has been close for a couple of days while they construct the fence and the podium etc, etc.

pope_security_thumb.png

Basically if you live anywhere within the yellow zone, once you leave on friday night you will not be allowed to drive back in until Monday. anyone living in the black area cannot have their cars parked on the street.

Last edited:

I am in the Philly suburbs, Catholic, kids go to Catholic etc and I am not going anywhere near "Dodge"...I admire the Pope as my religious leader but I will be doing that from my couch. The hoopla for this has been going on for a year now and Philly is going to be a mess. My brother manages a condo down in the city and he has to stay put Thurs until Mon in case they need him at his building. I know many people going, I know people singing in the Papal Choir but have no desire to deal with the crowds and traffic. Not my cup of tea.

How come Philly seems to be so much worse off with this than DC. Is the Pope doing more, out and about more there, or is more to do with DC being so used to handling dignitaries, inaugurations, etc. that we didn't need as much upfront work done?

A little worked up, are ya? I respect the man. But the next few days getting to and from work is going to be a nightmare. One can respect someone and be annoyed at their commute at the same time. Geeze. My issue is my commute...not WHO he is.

I got that without your need to clarify, and I'm way north of you in Canada.

Last edited:
Yes it does!! Or I am going to be eating a seriously BIG piece of Humble Pie.
I just talked with my son and he said he had to go to 3rd Ave and 42nd St. And he sailed right in and out, and he said that rarely happens. I told him, the Pope was coming and he laughed and said ya, everyone was probably using the subway. But that was early this morning. They also got special permission to keep the cement trucks coming in, so they can continue sending cement down into the new subway.

THAT was not obvious from your post!! I understand the disruption to your commute from such a high profile visit. Your post made no mention of a commute or traffic problems. Be clearer and then maybe people wont take offence!!

It was totally obvious. You seem more than a bit sensitive.
I was in NYC the last 6 days and they said there are going to be so many road closures, since the Pope is going to be in almost every section of Manhattan, plus it is United Nations week and the Presidet is coming into town the rest of the week. I cannot image what it is going to be like, can you image what Central Park will be like? I am sure they will have all the entrances blocked off and you will have to go thru security to get in.

I am heading into NYC on Thursday. I thought I heard that the visit would not impact NYC as much as Philly and DC and I'm hoping that's true. Will be navigating via subway and on foot. Wouldn't even consider driving.

How come Philly seems to be so much worse off with this than DC. Is the Pope doing more, out and about more there, or is more to do with DC being so used to handling dignitaries, inaugurations, etc. that we didn't need as much upfront work done?

Philly is hosting the World Meeting of Families (I think that's title), which is why he is coming to Philly. There are several events spanning the weekend where he will speak, and streets are being shut down for days to prepare to accommodate the huge crowds.

I do think DC is better prepared for this sort of thing in general.

This whole thing started as the World Meeting of Families, basically a big huge convention, that starts tomorrow, so you already had tons of people coming in for that. Then add in the Pope who decided to say Mass on the Parkway (where the Art Museum is, think Rocky movie stairs) and that is bringing in more. The security here is over the top for us, you guys are probably use to it. Although I think they scared some people off but there were people lined up at church on Sunday for tickets to be in the area where the Pope will be saying Mass. They went super quick and many were disappointed.

The Pope is also not staying in the heart of Philly, he is staying at the seminary on the outskirts of town, so they have to get him around. And it is right near St Joseph's University so they are basically shut down (I went there so have been getting alumni updates)

It has been all Pope all the time around here.

There are roads in the suburbs, NOT in Philly, that they have lined with porta potties bc they think traffic might be that bad when some of the other roads into the city get shut down.

It was totally obvious. You seem more than a bit sensitive.

I am heading into NYC on Thursday. I thought I heard that the visit would not impact NYC as much as Philly and DC and I'm hoping that's true. Will be navigating via subway and on foot. Wouldn't even consider driving.
You hear different sources, and I think everyone likes to give their opinion. Good luck and have fun. We had a good time.

not everyone on Dis is American or keeps track of where everyone lives!

I do think DC is better prepared for this sort of thing in general.

This whole thing started as the World Meeting of Families, basically a big huge convention, that starts tomorrow, so you already had tons of people coming in for that. Then add in the Pope who decided to say Mass on the Parkway (where the Art Museum is, think Rocky movie stairs) and that is bringing in more. The security here is over the top for us, you guys are probably use to it. Although I think they scared some people off but there were people lined up at church on Sunday for tickets to be in the area where the Pope will be saying Mass. They went super quick and many were disappointed.

The Pope is also not staying in the heart of Philly, he is staying at the seminary on the outskirts of town, so they have to get him around. And it is right near St Joseph's University so they are basically shut down (I went there so have been getting alumni updates)

It has been all Pope all the time around here.

There are roads in the suburbs, NOT in Philly, that they have lined with porta potties bc they think traffic might be that bad when some of the other roads into the city get shut down.

I know people here in DC who couldn't get tickets for the Mass here and are going to Philly.

As for permanent road closures, much of Mass Avenue here in DC is closed (starting this morning) since he is staying at the Vatican Embassy. Other closures are more temporary and are dependent on where he is going to be.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter