The poorest city in America is...

Hi,

I live less than eight miles from Camden and don't like to visit it unless I have to, usually because the Walter Rand Transportation Center is New Jersey Transit's (the state bus line) South Jersey hub.

Jim

robsmom said:
This is so true - the roads to concerts are barricaded on the way in and way out to ensure no one accidently makes a wrong turn. It is sad to me. I have lived in SJ my entire life and grew up even close to camden than Steve lives. When i was a young child my dad's office was in camden, the dentist was in camden, our favorite restaurant was in camden (remember Fifth and Pine anyone??). After about 10 or so, I can't remeber ever going to Camden except to go to the hospital as my grandparents insistent until the end on the Catholic hospital! There are still two great hospitals in Camden but I am sure Steve will say even they face tough competition from the more suburban options these days. The city has been grossly mismanaged for years. Despite the few areas of improvement it does not have a "right side of tracks" so to speak. Most cities have poverty balanced a bit by a wealthy downtown area and maybe a few more suburban upscale areas on the outskirts. Camden has nothing like that.

Good post. I still think Cooper Hospital is one of the best in the nation.

I'm less than 10 miles outside of Camden. I remember when Camden was designated the most dangerous city in America, so the poorest is just icing on the cake. I haven't been to a concert on the Waterfront yet. I usually opt to see the performer in Philadelphia or Atlantic City. I have been to the new Aquarium though, and that was very nice (during the day). It is crazy how much of a difference a few miles makes.

Steve, i've also always been fascinated by the Poverty = wealth scenario when comparing Asbury Park to Deal.

Two towns, separated only by a tiny river - that are worlds apart.

I'm about 20 miles from Camden (Philly's western "main line" 'burbs) and I'm just so sick about what goes on there that passes for government and leadership. Sadly, Philadelphia seems to be heading down the same terrible path, even after the "renaissance" of the 90s.

I agree that we as a society need to make the alleviation of poverty a priority. Why we don't get serious about education and family life skills I'll never know. Most of what passes for public education in this country doesn't make one fit to sell hamburgers.

dvcgirl said:
We have found the very same phenomenon in Orlando. There are areas in Southwest Orange County where the tremendously wealthy own homes. Isleworth is in Windermere and some very wealthy and famous people live there. Not five miles from that very neighborhood is Pine Hills which is where the poor African American community lives...very high crime, tremendous drug use. This area is very much a checkerboard area where some very decent areas back right up to some scary neighborhoods.

Thanks for posting this. I will be sure to avoid Pine Hills on my next visit. :scared:

Any other bad areas near the parks?

Good news, I suppose! I just spoke with an "inside source" and learned that Camden will not be getting the Most Dangerous City designation this year. It may actually drop to #3. Detroit and possibly Philadelphia will be ahead of Camden in this year's report.

disneysteve said:
Good news, I suppose! I just spoke with an "inside source" and learned that Camden will not be getting the Most Dangerous City designation this year. It may actually drop to #3. Detroit and possibly Philadelphia will be ahead of Camden in this year's report.

yea, there is a saying around here in Philly lately "Welcome to Philadelphia, what size coffin do you need?"

Sick, I know.... But it is getting really bad around here, I live in an upper middle class division of the city but I work in University City just a few blocks from west philly and it is not pretty :sad2: Seems like everynight there is a gunshot wound being admitted to the ER

It's a small world.
My family is from East Camden. I grew up in Pennsauken, but now live in Bellmawr. My Grandparents lived in Camden many years ago went it was considered a great place to live. My Mom always said that you never had to lock your doors. I remember staying with my Maternal Grandparents in East Camden and Paternal Grandparents in Cramer Hill in the 70's. It was getting bad then. Most of the kids I knew from my Grandparents neighborhood are dead now. The drugs came in heavey in the 70's & 80's and that was the end for their neighborhoods.
The Cramer Hill area is getting revamped. But the people have to move. So the crime and drugs will move further into Pennsauken. It really makes me sick. Camden may have been a nice town once, but it is sure scary now. I'm not sure how Camden got this way, but it's been changing for the worse for like 40 years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter