the Pirates Museum in Nassau

RMAMom

DIS Veteran
DH and I are thinking about walking to the Pirates Museum when we dock in Nassau. Has anyone done this, was it easy to do? Is there an entrance fee to the museum? How much time did you spend there? I would love to hear about your experiences with this? I am a little apprehensive and DH keeps telling me it will be fine. :scared:

just chiming in to say my DH and DSS (17 at the time) did this among other things in nassau and enjoyed it. its not far from the dock so you can walk. sorry i don’t recall prices or whatnot, sure someone else wil chime in and i’m sure its google-able! :)

are you saying you are afraid of going to the pirate museum or is this a fear of nassau thing? :confused3 nassau is perfectly fine, the walk to the museum or the town front is no biggie for the two of you. i can’t recall hearing the pirate museum was scary in any way!
HTH!

I'm thinking of visiting the museum on my next cruise (February 2014), so I checked out their web page. pirates-of-nassau.com
It's $12 entrance fee for adults and $6 for children.
As the previous poster mentioned, it's walking distance from the ship and looks like fun!

We walked over with our two boys who were 6 & 9. I forget the fee to get in. My DH and I found it really interesting and learned a bit about the pirate history. Kids found it fun. They had a pirate greeter at the door. He was a hoot! A total pirate. Have a bunch of crazy photos with him and the kids in the stocks. There are some canons and the kids and he were playing shooting each other. We were there in October and it was very quiet. There is also a shop with all kinds of pirate stuff. They have a website - might have the entrance fees listed.

The walk itself was fine. Getting through the initial throng of people asking you if you wanted a cab or this or that was intimidating. We just said no thank you and kept walking.

We did this with our kids a few trips ago and it was great. The pirate greeter is fantastic, I didn't think to tip him, but I wish I would have. It was an easy walk, not scary or dangerous. Just keep walking and don't stop for panhandlers or people selling things, we only came across a couple. Like any city even in the US, there are crazies walking around however we had no issues. Our last cruise we didn't get off the ship in Nassau only because there wasn't anything we wanted to do and preferred to enjoy the Dream.

Thank you everyone! Yes I am afraid of Nassua, not the museum, because of the stories I've read here I am a little nervous about all of it.
My DH on the other hand spent 20 years in the Navy and is a giant man and afraid of nothing so I think he is losing patience with my hand wringing LOL!
I am sure we will be fine, panhandling, and crazy people don't bother me it's the other stories that I was reading. Like the offers to buy teenage children etc.

Thanks for your responses, I am looking forward to it again!

My husband and daughter did this in 2000 and they STILL talk about it, and I've heard that it has been updated. They loved it and thought it was well worth the price. We did this after an island excursion that morning. They went to the museum and I walked back to the ship. I wasn't afraid and other than vendors hawking their wares, wasn't approached by anyone.

We were there in January, paid $12 for adults and $6 each for the boys (who were 7.5&5 yrs). We sent about an hour in the museum, our youngest found the actual pirate ship display scary as there are "pirate" noises playing in the background and the room is very dark. Outside the pirate ship area are artefacts, information about famous pirates and some neat dioramas. Once you lave the museum, there is a little courtyard with pirate themed areas where you can take pictures. It was an easy walk from the ship, you can find a walking tour of Nassau on Trip Advisor that shows the museum's exact location.
If you like pirates, you may also want to walk up to Fort Fincastle, it was $1 each to get in but it has a beautiful view of the area and some neat history about how they planned to protect the island if it was attacked...which it never was!

We were there on the 2/14 Dream cruise. The pirate guy was actually at the ship display when we were there. He was incredibly informative and made for an unforgettable experience. We had been to the museum before, but it was better now that the kids are old enough to understand the history involved.

Here's their website with directions, etc.: http://www.pirates-of-nassau.com/

pirate:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter