The PC team name change thread on the CB got me thinking

Ronda93

DIS Veteran
Some are up in arms over the removal of the "Redskins" moniker.

I think the most apt comparison is to imagine a lesbian softball team called The Stay at Home Moms. They can have a little minivan logo, with a baby on board sign and my honor roll student bumper sticker. When real SAHMs complain, the lesbians can explain they are only representing the best parts of SAHM-dom. In fact the SAHMs should be honored that they are chosen as a symbol.

Can anyone help me flesh out this position?

Thanks.

Ronda -- I like the analogy, but not sure how many people will equate native americans and SAHM's. Yes, I get the fact that they're both cultural groups whose iconic references (sorry, couldn't come up with a better phrase off the top of my head) are being appropriated for profit by outsiders. But the reason you & I get it is because we are both part of a non-mainstream cultural groups and have had to deal with those issues. I think a lot of people would just say "Well, they're not the same thing" and not be convinced that they are.

But I might be wrong. Personally, I would get a kick out of seeing an SUV as you've described come out onto the field, disgorging a gaggle of cheerleading soccer moms. The image of the soccer mom has special resonance here in Washington state as one of our US senators (Patty Murray) was derided as being a soccer mom before being elected into the senate and has had a relatively successful career there. And I always like to point out the fact that Washington state is the only state to have ever been represented by a woman governor and two women US senators at the same time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter