The Outcome Could Have Been Very Different!

My mother rented an ECV on our trip earlier this year because her ankle finally gave her enough during the second day of the trip. My dad and I often found ourselves telling her to "turtle" instead of "hare". It doesn't help that a lot of people don't understand that the max speed of those things are not slow and turtle speed should always be used in crowded areas. The place we rented her ECV from didn't tell her the differences between the speeds, and she often tried to board the buses in rabbit speed. She finally got the hang of it after I constantly walked beside her and turned the speed down.

Ultimately, it is the operator of the motorized vehicle (particularly in concert with pedestrian traffic) who is liable for the safe operation of said vehicle. And responsible for any occurrences with said pedestrians.

The question I have is this....Why is the ratio of ECV's-to-walkers so much higher (or appears to be) in WDW than I have ever seen in other general public areas?

Last edited:
Ultimately, it is the operator of the motorized vehicle (particularly in concert with pedestrian traffic) who is liable for the safe operation of said vehicle. And responsible for any occurrences with said pedestrians.

The question I have is this....Why is the ratio of ECV's-to-walkers so much higher (or appears to be) in WDW than I have ever seen in other general public areas?

I think because there is so much walking and because WDW is a very accessible vacation destination.

Ultimately, it is the operator of the motorized vehicle (particularly in concert with pedestrian traffic) who is liable for the safe operation of said vehicle. And responsible for any occurrences with said pedestrians

Sorry, don't you think that's a bit harsh? Why should I, if I'm driving slowly and safely, and looking in the direction I'm driving (unlike some) be to blame if someone decides to leap under my wheels?

In the same way that it's a pedestrian's responsibility not to walk out into the road in front of a car (or bike etc), then it follows that people should, to a certain extent, watch where they're going in a theme park. If you were to take the argument to its conclusion, if someone is walking in one direction and, while looking in another, actually trips over a low bit of wall or fencing and lands in a flower bed, is that the flower bed's fault?

Nope ..not harsh ..1st rule of the road when driving( if you actually read the manual before your test) Pedestrians have the right of way. You as the driver of anything have the responsibility to know what you are doing and not injure,run over,hit or do any bodily harm . That's not to say accidents or mistakes happen but then liability rests with the driver. It's called consequences...

Disney is taking the coward's way out in not enforcing rules - so afraid they will hurt a paying guest's feelings!! They should be 'made' to enforce the rules of no children on ECV's no matter who owns it! It's a private park - what is the problem of enforcing rules like any other venue?? :confused3
Just like not enforcing 'cart' rules at Fort Wilderness - but that's another story!

Are ECVs considered motor vehicles? I thought they were more in line with a wheelchair. You can't take an ECV on a road like you can a motorcycle or whatever. I think anyway. What if someone is pushing a humongous stroller and I walk right in front of them. Are they liable for that 100%? I think there is some common sense to be applied here.

I had this bad day at MK where I felt like ECVs were crossing my path constantly. And then I decided to give them a break and magically, they weren't a problem anymore. The problem was that I was trying to walk too fast for the crowd levels in the MK that day.

Not a motor vehicle....but a motorized vehicle. And the operator is liable (not specifically in the legal sense....but moreover in common sense) for its safe operation. Realistically, the preponderance of traffic is the pedestrians. The ECV's are operated within the scenario, and the operator needs to understand that as they use their vehicle. And understandably, pedestrians also need to be cognizant of their surroundings and act accordingly.

Accidents will happen (not really accidents...generally someone is to blame).....however, many instances are avoidable if folks would merely exercise a little patience, operate all their ankle hammering vehicles and/or strollers with responsibility, or not step in front of a moving vehicle and stop to look at the park map.

Situational awareness and understanding....and all that.

Last edited:
Of course....my opinion is clouded by the lovely interaction with an ECV operator in the Soarin' line many moons ago, when he felt that the line should probably be moving a bit faster than it was and proceeded to plow into my (then) young son's ankle....forcibly and purposely.

I know it's not all operators....but he absolutely did not care.

I think claiming the person in the ECV is always at fault is a bit much. The park is not like the road, where there are defined directions and traffic lights and signs to follow, everyone goes every way. Which is why everyone needs to pay attention. And if someone isn't watching where they are walking, then I think if they step in front of an ECV and get hit, it is their fault. Remember ECVs do not have normal brakes, they more coast to a stop. Unlike a car or a bike, they don't quickly stop.

I think claiming the person in the ECV is always at fault is a bit much. The park is not like the road, where there are defined directions and traffic lights and signs to follow, everyone goes every way. Which is why everyone needs to pay attention.

Agreed. And stated in my post.

And if someone isn't watching where they are walking, then I think if they step in front of an ECV and get hit, it is their fault. Remember ECVs do not have normal brakes, they more coast to a stop. Unlike a car or a bike, they don't quickly stop.

The operator needs to remember it...not me. I am not operating an ECV. I also don't need to step in front of one and stop, either.

I think some of the issues may arise from the local rental of these things. Some people come down and rent them without much familiarity regarding their operation.

The operator needs to remember it...not me. I am not operating an ECV. I also don't need to step in front of one and stop, either.

I disagree. Again there are no roads where people have to stop and look both ways before crossing. No stop lights. People walking need to pay attention to where they are going as much as people in ECVs do. After all, if there is an accident, who is the one most likely injured? Pedestrians should pay attention, if only for their own protection.

I disagree. Again there are no roads where people have to stop and look both ways before crossing. No stop lights. People walking need to pay attention to where they are going as much as people in ECVs do. After all, if there is an accident, who is the one most likely injured? Pedestrians should pay attention, if only for their own protection.

Ahh....OK....gotcha, then.

You probably missed this part of my response, then:

I also don't need to step in front of one and stop, either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter