The One with the Empty Stretch Limo... (May 2-11th)

:rotfl: I can't believe you forgot change for tolls... and then got away with it! And that you then got lost on what I can only assume was the 192 - gotta love that place :)

Now I'm off to upload my next instalment although it's not half as good as yours...

We didn't get lost, we just never found the UPS store! :rotfl:

And please do keep on with your trip report! :goodvibes

I'm loving the trippie and getting excellent tid-bits for our trip in January.
Thanks!:thumbsup2

BTW, why Tink2020? Are you and optometrist/or ophthalmologist from Ohio State?

I'm loving the trippie and getting excellent tid-bits for our trip in January.
Thanks!:thumbsup2

BTW, why Tink2020? Are you and optometrist/or ophthalmologist from Ohio State?

Actually, I'm not! Wonderful guess, though! :rotfl: A rabid OSU football fan from birth, and a nurse. To be honest, I can't for the life of me remember why I came to "2020" when I made my DIS name. Like so many others, I put very little thought into it because I was just going to "look for a few tips" for a trip. :rolleyes1

Thursday, May 3rd

Ok, so do you remember the raving hatred of the Stitch wake-up calls a few years ago? You know, when Stitch took over everything....

Well, I thought they were cute. I loved the big blow up stitch and the tears in the castle. I don't even mind the Stitch ride all that much.

But 3 years later (give or take a few months), at exactly 7:00am, I had had enough. Seriously, I just miss my main mouse saying "Up and at 'em pal....".

I quickly hung up, rolled my eyes, and hopped out of bed for Day 2 of our vacation!

It was at about this time, that I realized for the first time just how long our trip was in comparison to the last few. Our most recent trips before this one were a 3.5-day weekend for the Half Marathon, a 4-night cruise, and a 5-day trip with my family. To wake up on "Day 2" and realize that we had OVER a week left, and weren't 2/5 through our trip was just a spectacular feeling. :banana: (Yippee, my banana's back!)

We weren't heading to the parks for a little while, but we are early risers so we talked about what to do this morning. Yes, you read correctly. Commando-tourer Jennifer had scheduled downtime! :rotfl:

I called the front desk ("Good Morning and Welcome Home" :goodvibes ) and asked what time Stormalong Bay would be open that day. I was told 8am-midnight, so we were going to have a quick walk around Crescent lake and be at the world-famous pool when it opened!

Our walk around the lake was so peaceful, so enjoyable. To watch the families and the boardwalk come to life was so refreshing, the weather was gorgeous (the sun, after all, was hardly shining this early)... I even jogged about halfway back. I know, we're talking like 0.3 miles. But since my knee injury (and the subsequent, yes, subsquent half-marathon), there had been no jogging without pain. It was wonderful!

Still, I wasn't going to push it ;) I headed back to the hotel, while Kyle took another lap or 2. He made it back to the room, we donned our swimsuits, and headed to the pool at almost exactly 8am.

It was closed. Scheduled to open at 10am. No sign or hint anywhere that it ever opened at 8am :rolleyes:

We spent about an hour or so in Dunes Cove pool and went back to shower and get ready for our day in the parks.

Thursday, cont'd

In Epcot, we found ourselves in (what we considered to be) huge crowds, and more heat than the previous day -- and it was only about 10:30am. Oh, to not be so spoiled by low seasons! :rotfl:

We made our way through Tinkerbell's Fairy Garden, and took in the gorgeous roses (and other flowers, of course) throughout the park. We enjoyed the "Art in the Garden" display, and the various other exhibits set up for the Flower & Garden Festival. Finally, we made our way to Future World

After getting fastpasses for Soarin' (the soundtrack of which, interestingly enough, is playing on Radio Buena Vista as I type), we went to Sunshine Seasons for lunch. It was about 10:50, so we beat the crowds there... but not by much. Even that early, the lines were quite long as we were finding a seat. We absolutely LOVE this counter service. Kyle had a pork chop and vegetables, I had rotisserie chicken and potatoes. We had Butterfinger cheesecake and Chocolate Mousse cake for dessert, and rolled our stuffed selves toward Circle of Life.

{Hmm.... definitely hate when I can't read my notes to save my life }

We hadn't seen the Circle of Life attraction in several years, so it was enjoyable. I vaguely remember getting choked up at one part of it, but couldn't tell you where. I'm such a sap.

Living with the Land boasted a 20-minute wait, which turned out to be only 5 minutes. We absolutely LOVE this ride :blush: :teeth: Before and during our ride, and while wandering through The Land pavilion, we answered some Passporter Treasure Hunts questions -- I have to again recommend this book. We have had so much fun bringing this on our last couple of trips. We don't ever set out to do a "scavenger hunt", but always have it on us and answer questions here and there. In my opinion, it was MORE than worth whatever I paid for it (which I don't think was much)!

When we walked into The Seas, I was sure I was being stalked by a Dream Team CM. He was everywhere! I was so tempted to stalk him in return, but, alas, I had some willpower. Sadly, I never saw him grant any dreams. He must have just been enjoying the pavilion :rolleyes:

We still love the Seas with Nemo and Friends, and can't get enough of "The Big Blue World" :rotfl: We waited about 20 minutes for the ride, which actually gave Kyle time to admire the details in the queue. Really, Disney Imagineers were - as usual - brilliant in their development of this queue. The barnacles getting higher as we descend deeper under the sea, the hand rails changing with the change in depth, Circular air vents to blend in with the bubbles.... Really, check it out next time! It's rather impressive! :thumbsup2

On our way back to The Land to ride Soarin', I was stopped by two Dream Team CMs! :yay: Apparently, he just wanted to chat, and make sure we were enjoying our trip. What, did we have to BEG for something?! (No, don't start. We weren't feeling entitled to anything or remotely upset that we didn't "win" a dream ... it was just very funny how many near misses we would have throughout the trip! :laughing: ) I must say, the gentleman was very nice, and we WERE thoroughly enjoying our trip. I told him if he could do something about the heat we would really be pleased. He admitted that he could not, and that he (and apparently all of Florida) was surprised and annoyed at how much hotter it had been than they were expecting. Yeah, yeah....

Our ride on Soarin' was, as always, spectacular. We went to the Imagination Pavilion and walked right on Journey...., which is also always fun. We experienced Honey I Shrunk the Audience for the first time since December 2005. I'd say this is probably my least favorite 3-D attraction at WDW, but it's still fairly cute. I mostly love watching the people in the rows in front of me react to ... well, you know. The effects :)

After the Imagination Pavilion, we went to Innoventions West for our Disney Visa character meet & greet. We waited absolutely FOREVER, without the photo line moving an inch. There was talk of not letting any of the rest of us in (because the time had passed), but someone behind me protested that we had got in line at least 30 minutes prior, so we moved forward. Probably needless to say, each group didn't get a whole lot of time with the characters, but hey - it's free!

We didn't have much time to play in Innoventions, but did get to try out the Nintendo Wii. We are very much a Nintendo family, and it's quite remarkable that it had taken us this long to experience the newest gaming system. Heck, we literally have all 4 previous Nintendo Entertainment Systems hooked up, and still play with all of them on occasion. :rolleyes1 The Wii is really unique. I would really have to see what games were available and how they would work before I can say that I love it, but it was cool. Kyle, on the other hand, wanted to purchase one while still on our trip, and take it home with us so he'd have it right away when we got back. No, he didn't win. ;)

At about 5:30pm, we made our way to Coral Reef for our dinner reservations. Our waitress, Jenny, was absolutely wonderful. We both got specialty drinks (non-alcoholic, smoothie type drinks) that were delicious! I was somewhat disappointed to be seated at the very back, with virtually no chance of getting good views of the fish (and TRULY no chance of identifying any!), but the atmosphere was still a pleasant one. And the food! The food was to die for! Our meal here, despite what others might think, was one of the best we have had in a Disney park. I had Mahi Mahi, and Kyle chose a New York Strip. The Mahi Mahi was served with roasted vegetables, couscous and a honey soy sauce that was just amazing. Yum!

Thursday, cont'd

It had been a long, hot day in Epcot, so we moved rather slowly in the evening. I must say, I thoroughly enjoyed doing so! :idea:

We went to the Mexico Pavilion, where we sat and watched Mariachi Cobre (indoors). Kyle had actually never seen them perform, so I had made it a point to make note of all of their performance times. I spent a long while in Mexico (the real country ;) ) and have such emotional ties to the music and atmosphere that Disney provides in this pavilion. We listened to their entire set, and then enjoyed the Gran Fiesta Tour. I have to admit that I might miss El Rio de Tiempo, but this was VERY well done -- and cute!

We wandered through what was open of the Norway Pavilion, making fools of ourselves dressing as Vikings and falling in love with a gorgeous sweater, and gawking (ok, practically falling on the floor) after seeing the price tag of said sweater. We walked through the China Pavilion, searched high and low for our topiary Chinese zodiac creatures (the boar was "missing", only to eventually be found on display out front of the pavilion a few days later), and marveled again at the Tomb Warriors display. Our favorite, though, was seeing the bonsai tree displays -- some of which were over 70 years old! :faint:

We sat ourselves in a brilliant spot in Italy to relax before Illuminations, exhausted from a long, hot day.

Then - about 40 minutes later - we realized that we didn't pick up our Disney Visa picture. Aack! Sure enough, the voucher says the free photo must be picked up the same day. We walked as quickly as possible all the way to the front of the park to the Kodak center and picked out our picture, and then ran - and I mean RAN - back to World Showcase to get any glimpse possible of Illuminations. We had made it a priority to see on our last trip (you'll have to read about that another time!), so this was really the only time we were planning on watching this time around. I don't love this show :duck: so I wasn't all that willing to rearrange our schedule if we missed it.

We had a decent view near the UK and France pavilions. We were absolutely shocked to see that the globe looked fantastic! If you recall my last trip report, we just have NEVER been impressed with Illuminations because - while the concept is great & the music is better than great :upsidedow - it just looks so doggone crappy compared to the effort Disney puts into its other nighttime events. Just my opinion, but a strong one. We figured out last time, that if only they would use better technology on the globe where you could actually make out was happening without hurting yourself, it might be much better. While they hadn't appeared to change the technology just yet (I think that is coming soon, finally!), at least they replaced some freaking bulbs, and the color was much better. Thank you, Siemens!

Finally, we strolled through the international gateway back to the hotel, and were more than ready for SLEEP!

Due up: More encounters with the illusive Dream Team, our first encounter with a yeti, and NO encounter with my favorite animal on the planet ...

PICTURES
through May 3rd

Sadly, I'm just now remembering that all of the wonderful night pictures were on Photopass. I let them expire, thinking we didn't want any! :sad2: Oh, well. Next time, when maybe I weigh 20 pounds less ;)

I lived in Mexico City and Cancun for 3 years (Dh was a reggae musician with his band there)so we like to visit Mexico too.

Never know when it will be hot in Florida...and I live here. We went on one trip end of November it was 85 the day we left and the next week in the 40's and 50's.

Great pics too!!

I'm glad to hear a Sunshine Seasons "review". I've read a lot about it in books, but haven't heard too much about it from people. I'm looking forward to trying it.

Your pics are great!

Looking forward to more...

Wow - you sure packed a lot into that day... now I'm reading about your trip I'm beginning to realise how little we actually did on ours... I think the only rides we did at Epcot were soarin, nemo, TT, Maelstrom and the Gran Fiesta... and we were there on quite a few occasions! Does that mean I officially managed a non-commando trip?!

Keep 'em coming Jen :)

Ok gang, as soon as I sort the laundry and get a load started I promise I'm working on (at least) the next day until it's finished! Real life decided to take over and completely put us through the emotional ringer, so I apologize that I've been MIA. I'm still trying to get around to this -- if for nobody but myself, as it's quite therapeutic! :rolleyes:

I'll post soon!

Friday, May 4th

Up fairly early this morning for a quick walk/run, and then to Animal Kingdom in time for the opening events! Now Kyle and I have not been to Animal Kingdom since our honeymoon, when we only spent about half a day there. I had been there before that, but he had not -- so that is his only "experience" with the park. It's not that I don't love it, it just kept getting passed over on shorter trips for various reasons. So we have a few days for AK planned this trip, and plan on really enjoying it. :goodvibes

We got there fairly early, so got a great parking spot and casually made our way to the park entrance. We were greatly entertained for a while watching Wes Palm interact with the kids, and finally it was time to make our way in! We headed over to Expedition Everest first, to get an early fast pass -- this was one we could not wait to experience, FINALLY! Our FP was for about 45 minutes later, so we made our way to dinorama to ride Primeval Whirl (love this ride :blush:) and Dinosaur. Let me just point out that I, for one, cannot WAIT until more ride pictures are made available for Photopass. I think we would have definitely purchased our Dinosaur picture if it weren't so early in the trip. :rolleyes1

Please be reminded that you WILL get soaked on Kali River Rapids. I told Kyle that this is true, but he couldn't help compare it to other "river rapid" type rides we have experienced elsewhere. We got off the ride absolutely soaked, and realized we should have maybe got a picture or two of the two of us prior to riding :rolleyes: While Kyle was waiting for me to complete damage control of the hair and outfit (you know, to where I'm at least comfortable sloshing around until I dry :rolleyes:), he was stalked by a few ducks that had heard about his previous duck-feeding fault at World Showcase. :teeth:

The Maharajah Jungle Trek is one of my favorite attractions at the Animal Kingdom, so we headed there next. Now we are all quite aware that Disney's Animal Kingdom is most definitely not a zoo, but I absolutely adore zoos, and therefore am at least somewhat drawn to "zoo-like" attractions ;) I think I could stand for half a day watching the tigers here. Alas, it was time to return to Everest -- and we weren't about to wait!

So I know we're some of the last people to review EE, but I'll chime in and echo the sentiments of others -- it's really great! I was skeptical about the slow speed of the attraction prior to riding, but it feels remarkably faster than it is. The theming, as expected, is outstanding! When exiting the ride, we were literally the first 2 people to run into the Dream Team .... that is, the first two people after they had just run out of Dream Fastpasses :rotfl: There must have been 50 people with them, it was quite impressive!

We stopped at the Dawa Bar and watched the last half of Karuka's show, which we had seen previously. We would watch them at least one more time on this trip, as we can't help but be completely captivated by their act -- and their energy!

By this time, it was about 11 or 12. We had long-since dried off from Kali River Rapids, and were quite hot! We decided it was time to stop for a drink (and food, at an indoor restaurant!), so we grabbed fastpasses for Kilimanjaro Safaris and headed to Pizzafari. I have to admit that Disney pizza is the one food that isn't all that spectacular, but hey - it's pizza! I've only had one pizza in my life that I would call "bad", and that I couldn't finish. Besides, Pizzafari is so bright and fun, that we thoroughly enjoyed our mediocre pizza. Dessert was chocolate cake for me, and a Frozen Strawberry Lemonade for Kyle, which I greatly coveted as we made our way back outside and into the heat.

Before returning to our safari, we headed to Pangani Forest Exploration Trail. The animals were wonderful, but I was quite disappointed with a few exhibit windows. We were having wonderful interaction with a gorilla, but pictures will reveal that the window was so dirty we had to strain to even see him! Not to mention the hippo window.... Oh, well. So no fantastic pictures of the animals that day, but they were entertaining as usual! :)

Back to Kilimanjaro Safari, and we were definitely on the wrong side of the tram! It was probably the most uneventful experience I have ever had on that ride, but even that is better than not riding at all! It's like we had been saying -- A hot (or, in this case, slightly-disappointing-animal-viewing) day at Disney is better than a hot day anywhere else! :thumbsup2 :teeth:

Our safari made it back to the loading dock after successfully rescuing Big and Little Red for what appears to be the last time, and Kyle and I made our way to the Wildlife Express to explore the Conservation Station. :goodvibes

Friday, cont'd

From what I can remember, Kyle has never been to Rafiki's Planet Watch/Conservation Station. We walked slowly after getting off the train, looking at the wildlife/foliage and reading the tidbits of info along the way. Once there, we spent quite a while exploring the various exhibits (Kyle thoroughly enjoyed his phone call to Jane Goodall :confused3 ) and meeting a few characters. One of my favorite, often overlooked attractions in the entire Animal Kingdom is "Song of the Rainforest". If you haven't experienced it, be sure to make it a date on your next trip! :thumbsup2

We spoke with a lot of the animal keepers in the exam rooms, which was great for us animal lovers. We were finishing up there just in time to watch them take out Eve, the large Python, for the last "Animal Encounter" of the day.

This encounter was fun, and the kids asking questions of the animal keepers was hysterical. About halfway through the demonstration, Kyle pointed out the "Animal Encounter" sign to the left of the stage. The silhouette on the schedule sign was CLEARLY that of a Fennec fox. If you've ever been to the Cincinnati Zoo with me (ok, which would only be one DISer).... or if you've posted on the community board thread a while back about, I don't know, cute animals or something, then you know of my affection for the Fennec Fox. We even agreed to take our small miniature pincher after declaring that we didn't ever want a small dog, solely based on her resemblance to said species of fox. It's pretty much, in my opinion, cuter than any other creature that has ever or will ever walk the face of Planet Earth. Ok, except maybe for human children. ;) But still.... look at this adorable animal!

fox.gif

{Side note, I have actually just found out that these are legal (and apparently quite safe) to have as pets. I am in the process looking into this! ;) :rotfl: }

So I ask the keepers if and when this beloved animal of mine might be available for an encounter, and nobody had a clue. Boo! I'm definitely still looking into it with various sources. :upsidedow

Back from the Conservation Station, we walked the Oasis trails, enjoyed It's Tough to be a Bug, and snatched a wonderful spot for Mickey's Jammin Jungle Parade. This parade is enjoyable, but we were so warm and so exhausted from such a hot day (the hottest yet!) that we were almost relieved when it was over. Note to self, seek out shaded viewing area next time :rolleyes:

We watched the Festival of the Lion King, and decided that it was time to call it a day - a physically exhausting day! We called Disney Dining to see about moving our Concourse Steakhouse reservations up, but there was of course nothing available. We still headed for the Contemporary, rode once around the monorail loop, wandered the gift shop, etc and checked in a bit early for our dinner.

The food here was enjoyable, but let me gloss over this meal because it was such bad service that I spoke with the restaurant manager, the hotel manager AND wrote a letter after we got home. It takes a lot for me to do that, but I have never felt so insulted, rushed.... ugh! There are no words, and it's about 2 months after the fact :sad2:

The upside is that we had one of the best smoothies I have ever had. If you end up at the Concourse Steakhouse ever (and I know we won't, at least for a while), you must try the Bay Lake. Yum!

We finished up and made it back to the Beach Club Villas by about 8pm. Kyle checked out a few DVDs from the Marketplace, and I slept like a baby. :cutie:

Due up: A peaceful morning, meeting a DISer, a completely surreal game of checkers and, after a lot of extra hassle, a heavenly Dole Whip and dinner with a view

Thanks, Jen! Hopefully it won't be quite as long between installments this time. :blush: Your trip report completion time definitely puts me to shame! :rotfl: I appreciate you reading, though :thumbsup2

Beth! I love your signature as much or more than I have ever loved any signature I have ever seen on the DIS -- I swear! :worship: :love:

Aagh! I swear I think about this report and my fabulous patient readers (;)) all the time. Real life is SO overwhelming right now, as some of you know, both emotionally and physically. Some of my distraction will be gone (sadly) on Tuesday, so I really hope to get back and crank this out. Thank goodness I took notes! :rotfl:

My goal is to have this completed by the time we leave for our trip with my mother and sister, September 15th. Please stay on me and I'll get it done! :blush:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter