The One Where the Elephant Farts

PrncessA

Dis_Mom_
The One Where the Elephant Farts

Hello everyone and welcome to my third trip report and my very first Disneyland Trip Report. We just arrived home a couple days ago and we just don’t want to let go of the vacation mentality and get back to real life… at least I can hold on to our wonderful vacation by writing about it!! This will hopefully hold me over until our family vacation in WDW this Thanksgiving!

This was a trip of many firsts, lots of laughing, lots of fun, lots of family and a lot of blisters! This trip could easily have been titled, “The One Where I Think My Feet Are On Fire” or “The One Where Granny Rides The Fun Wheel of Death”, of which I have video and it is hands down the funniest thing I have ever watched!

Our trip was August 8-15 and was broken into three parts.

Aug. 8-10: San Diego

Aug. 11-13: Disneyland

Aug. 14 & 15: Back to San Diego

There were good reasons for the split in the trip and all will be explained.

Before we get started, let me introduce the cast of characters:

20150809_194811_zpszjduhk7u.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

First there is me, Sara, Disney fanatic! I love everything Disney and I especially love planning Disney vacations. This trip was a little different for me because I didn’t feel as prepared as I do on our WDW trips. How would I fare on this trip? Stay tuned. I currently live near Chicago right now and I am very close to getting a degree in Meeting and Event Planning. My goal is to work for the Disney Company in some shape or form in the future, and we are seriously looking at moving to try and make that dream a reality. When and where? That is the question at hand! My DH, Erik, my Disney partner in crime, did not make it on this trip as all of his vacation days are being used for our WDW trip this November! He did not like Disney World before our 2009 trip but one trip with me changed his life forever. He is now a Disney Fanatic like me!

DS 10, Ethan, my Disney World die hard. He LOVES Disney World and was constantly comparing Disneyland to Disney World, sometimes for the better, sometimes not. He has been diagnosed with ADHD and believe me when I say hyperactive is the word you use when you describe him. He also is weary of new things and it takes a while for him to feel comfortable in new situations. Part of the reason I love Disney so much is that I feel that Ethan can relax and be himself when we are there. He is a big fan of the #1 Duck, Donald, although he became very interested in Oswald this trip.

DD 8, Lorelai, is my adventurer. She loves trying new things and isn’t afraid of much! She also loves movies of any kind and Jurassic World is one of her favorites now. She was very excited about Disneyland, since it is a new adventure and unknown. She is stubborn and opinionated, but kind and thoughtful. She loves Minnie and Daisy and can’t get enough Ariel. We told her she was born to be a mermaid and she took us literally. DH caught her in the middle of making a “mermaid potion” that she found on YouTube not too long ago. It involved salt, water, dish washing liquid and I am sure it would have made a big mess in the kitchen had DH not found her “pre-transformation”.

Granny, my mom. She is a WDW and DL vet from the 70’s but she hasn’t been back since then. She loves to tell the story about my grandma riding Space Mountain for the first (and only) time and peeing on herself in fright. The story made the rounds on this trip many times, that is for sure! She is a Tinker Bell fan and is a complete child at heart. At times I think she enjoyed meeting characters and riding rides more than the kids did! She was OBSESSED with Chip and Dale this trip and was extremely happy to spend time at the beach.

Jen, my sister, the reason for our destination choice. Jen lives in San Diego, as she fell in love with it after being stationed there in the Navy and moved back when she got out. Her husband is stationed there now. She had never been to Disneyland (or Disney World) before and was really excited to go. She had no idea what a Fast Pass was, but she became my Disney prodigy and picked up how to tour correctly very quickly. She is a bit of a homebody, so it was fun to get her out and about in her hometown and at Disney.

Extended Family: My Aunt Judy, cousin Anne, her daughter Rylee (10) and cousin Andy. They all joined us for the last half of the trip. Anne and Rylee did the last day at Disneyland with us and then we all spent the last two days in San Diego together. I loved being able to make Anne and Rylee’s Disneyland day magical!!

So for better or worse that is our crew!

Stay tuned for tales of elephant farts, sea sickness, underwater camera exploits and lots of food and fun!!

Last edited:
Sara, I am here and will try to come back as much as I can. Love the intros, but sorry hubby didn't make the trip with you. :(

Coming over from my Pre-TR .... definitely here for the Elephant farts!

Obviously will be reading with bated, um, eye sight on how things went for you as we are basically doing the same thing (San Diego -> Disneyland -> San Diego)

but she became my Disney prodigy and picked up how to tour correctly very quickly.
... always fun to have a Disney padawan

I'm HERE!!!

Love the Intro's and thankfully i was a faithful stalker, i saw the video.. IT CRACKED ME UP! can't wait to hear the stories behind the facebook pictures!!!

Hey...we were at Disneyland from Aug 8-12..and then drove up to San Fran for 3 days so I know the split stay mechanics! Can't wait to hear about your trip...ours was phenomenal! And we are from the Milwaukee area so we are both Midwesterners!

Joining in! I have a San Diego, Disneyland, Los Angeles trip coming up next year! Hopefully I'll pick up some tips!

:welcome: I hope our trip can help your planning! I really wish that we had made it to LA this trip, but we really packed it in as it was!

Sara, I am here and will try to come back as much as I can. Love the intros, but sorry hubby didn't make the trip with you. :(

Thank for checking in Kathy, I love having you follow along!

Coming over from my Pre-TR .... definitely here for the Elephant farts!

Obviously will be reading with bated, um, eye sight on how things went for you as we are basically doing the same thing (San Diego -> Disneyland -> San Diego)

... always fun to have a Disney padawan

:welcome: San Diego is a really beautiful place, we really had a lot of fun there. It would be easy to spend an entire week there!

I was surprised my sister caught on to it so quickly, by day 3 she was taking turns with me for Fast Pass running.

I look forward to read all about your adventures.

:welcome: Thanks for joining along!

Can't wait to read more!!!

:welcome: Thanks for joining in!

I'm HERE!!!

Love the Intro's and thankfully i was a faithful stalker, i saw the video.. IT CRACKED ME UP! can't wait to hear the stories behind the facebook pictures!!!

HI! The video was priceless. There was no way they were getting me on the "FunWheel", they once guilted me on to the Navy Pierr Ferris Wheel and I cried like a baby the entire ride. Freaked my son and his two friends out!

Hey...we were at Disneyland from Aug 8-12..and then drove up to San Fran for 3 days so I know the split stay mechanics! Can't wait to hear about your trip...ours was phenomenal! And we are from the Milwaukee area so we are both Midwesterners!

:welcome: Split stay mechanics is right! I am looking forward to a single hotel stay in November, LOL!

Not too far away!!

Looking forward to following along!!!

:welcome: I am glad you came over!

Before I begin, my kiddos started back to school today and I cannot believe how fast they are growing up. Next year Ethan will be in middle school and I am really going to freak out!

Like all my trip reports there is not a ton of photos during our departure day… or at least until we start toward the airport and my vacation photo mentality begins!

When I had booked the flights, it was done looking for the cheapest option, and everyone knows that isn’t always the most convenient option. I had booked a flight out of O’Hare at 8:25pm on Saturday, Aug. 8. This put us getting into San Diego at 10:46pm Pacific Time, which would feel like nearly 1am to us. It wasn’t ideal but it was cheap and it gave us an entire day to get ready for the trip, which it turned out we really needed!

Saturday I woke up EXHAUSTED, I had been up until nearly 1am finishing the embroidery on our shirts for the trip. I should start on our shirts for our November trip now, and maybe I might finish them before we leave. :rolleyes2 Life just is so busy! We didn’t have any plans until noon, but surprisingly I hadn’t packed anything yet! I love packing early but it is becoming a trend on Disney vacations to put off packing until the last minute. I had however, pulled clothes that I knew I wanted to pack from all of our closets and put it all in a basket and that made it a bit easier that morning.

I spent the morning organizing clothes and packing, while Erik did a load of laundry that I needed. When I felt pretty confident that I had completely over-packed, I packed a few things more.

I had a brief moment of panic when I realized that I couldn’t find the bag that I had put my Disney gift cards and the kid’s trading pins in… then found it right in front of me. I also took a few minutes to combine my several $50 gift cards into one, a new feature on the Disney Gift Card website. This is a great new feature, which will save me a lot of trouble at check-in/check-out, where I use to use a stack of $50 gift cards that I picked up at Target over the course of the year.

We headed out of the house to Lorelai’s cheerleading uniform fitting and pick-up and then Erik dropped Lorelai and I off for our mani/pedi’s with Granny. We were running on one car (my little Sentra) since Erik’s Rogue had been in not one, not two, but three different car repair shops that week. While we were being pampered Erik and Ethan did some last minute shopping, we were a busy family that day!

She is going to be trouble!

After our pampering, my mom dropped us off a home and I finished my last minute packing. At the last minute I remembered that I hadn’t packed our extra shoes! Then it took a good 20 minutes to try and fit everything in the trunk of my car. Luckily the trunk of a Sentra is about half the size of the car and I got everything packed in… until we picked up Granny that is. Her bag was HUGE and bulging. I ended up putting one of my smaller suitcases in the backseat under Ethan’s feet and tried not to think about how we were going to fit all the luggage into my sister’s tiny Juke in San Diego at 1am.

We were off!

We were all starving, so a pre-flight meal was a must! IHOP anyone?

Here is the beginning of my inconsistent food pics!

Mom’s Pot Roast Dinner

My Peaches and Cream Crepes (with the nasty whip cream scooped off)

Lorelai’s Oatmeal (with a peak of Erik’s omelet)

Ethan’s Cheeseburger

In no time at all we were back in the car and headed to O’Hare, where we accidently passed the exit and got rerouted through lots of orange cones and detours!

The backseat wasn’t worried, but I am a stickler for arriving at the airport at LEAST two hours in advance!

It was nice to check our bags with no fee, due to our American Airline CC. The free miles and bag fees are completely worth it!

Security was completely backed up and we stood in without moving for a few minutes before a security guard came and ushered some of us down to the next checkpoint… which ended up being bombarded. We are slow in airports, so we were the last to arrive, and bonus we were ushered down one more checkpoint to an empty Pre-check line and went right through!

Of course Lorelai was selected for additional screening, this has now happened twice to her, and I had to have my hands swiped. No big deal, but lots of excitement for the kids! FYI, tablets don’t have to be taken out of bags, but Microsoft Surfaces are not considered tablets, but instead laptops and they have to be removed.

Not sure where this photo was taken, but we recently got E a phone, or rather he has Erik's old phone and we added service to it, so I downloaded all the photos that he took during the trip as well. Which include a lot of selfies, that I at times can't place the time or place. LOL

With security behind us, we were ready to head to our gate… or a bathroom. Probably a bathroom. Now that I think about it I should have named this trip, “The Tale of A Million Bathrooms”, because Lorelai’s bladder is the size of a peanut!

Next up: The Flight that Never Ends and How to Fit 6 Suitcases and 5 people into a clown car!

Departure day is a weird one as it is really nerve racking but really exciting as well (at least for me)

You would have loved our last trip when we got to the airport about 40 minutes before takeoff and I still needed to drop the car off at parking and get all 5 of us with all the stuff 3 kids need through security. Good times

Nice job with the luggage Tetris to get it all fit. Or as we say "teach it to fit"

Your DD with her manicure and pedicure so adorable!!

Wow...that was a busy travel day. But it's always nice to have mani/pedi time for a vacation. Lord, we haven't been to an Ihop in forever.

You went through Pre Check and had to remove your laptop? I never do...I don't remove anything...just place it all in the scanner.

Can't wait to hear you get the luggage in a clown car.

HI! The video was priceless. There was no way they were getting me on the "FunWheel", they once guilted me on to the Navy Pierr Ferris Wheel and I cried like a baby the entire ride. Freaked my son and his two friends out!

i have NEVER been on that Ferris wheel... Never..
now listening to you.. I never will! LOL

I love packing early but it is becoming a trend on Disney vacations to put off packing until the last minute.

totally can relate.

In no time at all we were back in the car and headed to O’Hare, where we accidently passed the exit and got rerouted through lots of orange cones and detours!

WHAT? Construction? in the city. no way. your exaggerating...

WOW the pictures of the kids! they are getting big. NOT ALLOWED! yet adorable.

So happy to see this trip report. Your kids have grown so much since the last one! I have never been to Disneyland, so I especially enjoy reading about the similarities and differences to WDW.

Departure day is a weird one as it is really nerve racking but really exciting as well (at least for me)

You would have loved our last trip when we got to the airport about 40 minutes before takeoff and I still needed to drop the car off at parking and get all 5 of us with all the stuff 3 kids need through security. Good times

Nice job with the luggage Tetris to get it all fit. Or as we say "teach it to fit"

I would have been going nuts if we were that late to the airport! I have had nightmares similar to that. :scared: I am already stressing about the fact that I have class before I leave for our trip in November and I have to go to take a quiz. This is going to put us getting to the airport at 1.5 hours I am afraid... the teacher isn't very giving on moving things around either.

The luggage issues kept getting better!:sad2:

with a title like that I had to join in :D

:welcome:

Your DD with her manicure and pedicure so adorable!!

Thank you! She is a handful!

You went through Pre Check and had to remove your laptop? I never do...I don't remove anything...just place it all in the scanner.

Can't wait to hear you get the luggage in a clown car.

Maybe it was because we weren't technically pre-check. I don't know. My mom and I got pre-check in San Diego and they didn't make us take off our shoes but we had to take out the Surfaces. Or the kids just did it, and I wasn't paying attention.

WHAT? Construction? in the city. no way. your exaggerating...

WOW the pictures of the kids! they are getting big. NOT ALLOWED! yet adorable.

I know, it is completely unbelievable, right?:rolleyes1

They are getting so mature as well, and I just want it to stop! At least I have raised them right and hopefully they will never be to old for Disney!!:earsgirl::earsboy:

So happy to see this trip report. Your kids have grown so much since the last one! I have never been to Disneyland, so I especially enjoy reading about the similarities and differences to WDW.

:welcome: So glad to have you join!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter