(CLOSED)>> The One And Only Refillable Mug FAQ and Questions Thread (No Debate) <<

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're just back from a week at Sports and had the "pleasure" of being part of the RFID test... Some thoughts:

1) The technology certainly kept people from using other mugs for soda, but their confusion when the dispenser failed to do anything blocked up the line for everyone else.

2) You can only fill your mug every 5 minutes. That means if you get a mug full of bad tasting Diet Coke (because the mix is off) you have to wait 5 minutes to refill with better tasting from a different station.

3) The machine doesn't always realize that it's not dispensing anything. A number of times we put a mug under, pressed the leaver, got nothing, and then had to wait 5 minutes to try again.

4) On one of the machines the display screen was misaligned so you couldn't see what it was saying.

That's all I can think of at the moment!

I thought the sensor was supposed to know how much soda had been dispensed to your cup. You shouldn't have had to wait 5 minutes to get soda if the dispenser malfunctioned, you should have been able to use a different dispenser right away.

I thought the sensor was supposed to know how much soda had been dispensed to your cup. You shouldn't have had to wait 5 minutes to get soda if the dispenser malfunctioned, you should have been able to use a different dispenser right away.

Right... I think the key is "supposed to" but we found a number of times when the sensor thought it had given us something and nothing had come out! One time we pointed it out to a CM nearby who got us a new cup, but that only solved the problem for that moment.

For the water drinkers, you can fill and refill as many times as you want, with whatever cup you want - ice and water are free for anyone and everyone.

Plus, the only way to get all the kinks out a system is to test it. I'm sure that some things will be ironed out based on the test period before it gets rolled out to more resorts.

But, what about the people that it's being "tested" on? Don't they deserve a good experience also? Or at least a discount on the mug since there are still kinks in the system?

But, what about the people that it's being "tested" on? Don't they deserve a good experience also? Or at least a discount on the mug since there are still kinks in the system?

I don't think any of the kinks are so severe that anyone needs a discount for using the mug. It is at most a minor inconvenience, not on par with something that is ruining your vacation.

I don't think any of the kinks are so severe that anyone needs a discount for using the mug. It is at most a minor inconvenience, not on par with something that is ruining your vacation.

If it were severe, I would be suggesting more than a $6 discount. I would hope that if my vacation was ruined, a few dollars off of a mug wouldn't be their solution. I agree it is minor, but WDW is expensive. Some people will never visit again. The more money you spend on a certain product, the more you expect that product to be "kink" free. So, I still believe they should get a discount because guests at other resorts are not dealing with those "minor inconveniences", yet the price is the same.

We just returned from a week at AS Sports, part of the "test" crowd. It is only the fountain that is affected by the RFID chip. Iced tea, hot chocolate, coffee and tea work as usual.

We purchased a mug for each of us, as we typically do. The interval we encountered for soda refills was 4 minutes. One side of the fountain was broken for a while; I suspect it might have been due to the people who were trying to use unauthorized containers slamming the dickens out of the lever to try to get it to work. ;)

The only hiccup we encountered was that they closed the fountain down completely at midnight. In all honesty, this might have nothing to do with the new mugs, and is simply a new practice. We'd never encountered it before. We like to get off the bus at night and stop to fill our mugs before heading back to our room for the night. I don't think it's unreasonable, when a park is open until midnight, to keep part of the fountain open until an hour after the last park closes.

I think the fountains have always closed at midnight. Though I agree, if the parks are open late, they could leave the fountains open later, even 24/7, since I think it would really only take one person working to watch them.

well, for that matter, I always thought the food court itself should stay open a lot later. at least the pizza AND the grill stations (burgers and hot dogs, etc.)

but that's a dif. thread

We are going down over Labor Day weekend and will be staying at SSR. We will also be on the QSDP which includes the refillable mugs. We already have this year's design in the pink and teal colors. I've read that Sports has different colors including purple since they are testing the RFID chips. My DD absolutely loves the color purple and I know she would love to have a purple mug. My question is this - Could I go to Sports to obtain our refillable mugs and then use them at Saratoga which is where we are staying? I know they would work at SSR since they haven't put the readers in there (at least that I know of). I guess I wasn't sure if maybe I wouldn't be allowed to obtain them using our QSDP at Sports since we aren't staying there. Does anyone know or have any other thoughts? Thanks!

ya know, normally I wouldn't think it would matter where you buy the mugs, since they're all the same, and they let you use them at dif. resorts (like for split stays, sister resorts, etc)... but maybe they only have the purple at sports . I have never done the quick service plan, so don't know if they give you vouchers for the mug or what. so maybe the vouchers would be good only at SSR.
you wouldn't be able to exchange it at sports, since they would have no use for the one without the chip. hmmm....

My question is this - Could I go to Sports to obtain our refillable mugs and then use them at Saratoga which is where we are staying? I know they would work at SSR since they haven't put the readers in there (at least that I know of). I guess I wasn't sure if maybe I wouldn't be allowed to obtain them using our QSDP at Sports since we aren't staying there. Does anyone know or have any other thoughts? Thanks!

I don't know the answer to if your QSDP mug credits would work at All-Star Sports, but I have a feeling they might...your meal and snack credits can be used wherever the dining plan is accepted, so why wouldn't the mug credit work too? Pure speculation on my part though.

As for the purple mugs...at Pop Century on Aug 20 they had black, pink, blue, green, purple, and orange mugs. So there may a chance you will see purple mugs at SSR. Unfortunately for that prediction, within a couple of days the stock at Pop settled into just the black, pink, and blue mugs. I was glad to get a green one just because it was "different."

I have never done the quick service plan, so don't know if they give you vouchers for the mug or what.
Thought I'd add this for those who are wondering...the mug credits are on your KTTW card just like your meal and snack credits.

I don't know the answer to if your QSDP mug credits would work at All-Star Sports, but I have a feeling they might...your meal and snack credits can be used wherever the dining plan is accepted, so why wouldn't the mug credit work too? Pure speculation on my part though.

As for the purple mugs...at Pop Century on Aug 20 they had black, pink, blue, green, purple, and orange mugs. So there may a chance you will see purple mugs at SSR. Unfortunately for that prediction, within a couple of days the stock at Pop settled into just the black, pink, and blue mugs. I was glad to get a green one just because it was "different."

Thanks for the input! Maybe they will happen to have purple ones at SSR when we are there. If not, I think we will try getting them at Sports. Worst thing is they say no...

I just stumbled upon this thread after being absent for many months in preparation for our upcoming trip to cs. Is assports the only resort participating in this trial? Or are other resorts in progress? Thx

I read back further and got my answers.

Just back from 2 nts at Sports where I took my Racetrac mug for ice water, so I had no problems. I noticed some guests watching me, so I left my lid off to make it obvious I'd filled mostly with ice and no soda. Guess I didn't need to, now that I read this. When we came back from MK EMH they had closed drink stations and put away forks, knives, jelly, etc. If I'd bought a Disney mug on this trip, I'd have complained about the hours not being congruent with park hours. If the area is open for guests to walk through, then a drink station should be left open. They could clean it and then reopen it. They covered everything in plastic wrap, too, which isn't cheap. It'd take a whole lot of refills to add up to more than the web of plastic wrap they used. They probably were trying to avoid people making a mess, though.

Did you all see the newest blog post about the mugs at the new Audini (sp?) resort in Hawaii costing $30. If Disney mugs go up to that price, the only way I would buy one would be if they included free refills at the parks.

I have bought refillable mugs on every visit.

I will not pay more than $15 for a refillable mug, so I guess I'll start my morning with whatever they have in the room's coffee maker. :coffee:

We have always purchased the mugs on our trips...as much as a souvenir as anything else. But I think I'm unlikely to buy one if it costs over $20.

I am surprised no one posted this earlier because when I was recently staying at the Boardwalk Inn last month and earlier this month, I saw that the cost of the mugs has gone up to $14.49 + tax.

It's funny because when I saw the sign at Seashore Sweets with the new cost I thought to myself am I dreaming since 1 day earlier when I was in there they were still $13.99 and the next day the price went up.

Did you all see the newest blog post about the mugs at the new Audini (sp?) resort in Hawaii costing $30. If Disney mugs go up to that price, the only way I would buy one would be if they included free refills at the parks.

I'm thinking that in Hawaii people will spend much more time at the resort itself and the average length of stay may be longer. If you spend more time at the resort you'd likely use the mug more. Also does soda cost more in Hawaii than in the states? I know some stuff is just more expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!