*****The OFFICIAL Top Chef-Miami Chat Thread******

letterdavidman

DIS Veteran
So it starts tonight at ten, with the showdown (for charity) between the final four (with the exception of Leeann Wong, who now works behind the scenes on the show) from seasons one and two (Stephen Asprinio is replacing Leeann)! Will you be watching? Who are you pulling for in tonight's all-star episode? Me, I'm pulling for season one to win (I suppose), because, much as I loathe Tiffany Faison (man, how I hate her!), I loathe Ilan and Elia (especially Ilan!) more. (Plus, rounding out the season one lineup are Top Chef Harold Dieterle--a class act through and through--and the always hilarious Dave Martin.)

So what say you? Will your love of Sam overrule your utter hatred of Marcel?

I've been waiting for this with baited breath! Elian, Harold and the Big Chef were on the Today Show this morning.

:cheer2: I like both seasons so I don't mind who wins!:cheer2:

I was getting ready to bump the season two thread to let everyone know about tonight's TC All Star competition, so I'm glad you started this thread.

First off, isn't TC starting much earlier than it did in the two previous seasons? The S2 finale was just this past January. I wonder why the change?

Anyway, as to whom I'm rooting for: Any of the top chefs from S1, yes, including Tiffany! I wish LeAnn were going to be on thought. I loved her; second only to Harold. If I have to pick just one, it's got to be Harold. I hope he kicks Ilan's butt after all the nasty things Ilan had to say about Harold after he won S2.

I can't believe I'm going to let myself get sucked into another TC season...

I was getting ready to bump the season two thread to let everyone know about tonight's TC All Star competition, so I'm glad you started this thread.

First off, isn't TC starting much earlier than it did in the two previous seasons? The S2 finale was just this past January. I wonder why the change?

Anyway, as to whom I'm rooting for: Any of the top chefs from S1, yes, including Tiffany! I wish LeAnn were going to be on thought. I loved her; second only to Harold. If I have to pick just one, it's got to be Harold. I hope he kicks Ilan's butt after all the nasty things Ilan had to say about Harold after he won S2.

Oh, yeah, I forgot about the crappy trash talking that Ilan did concerning Harold. One more reason for me to hate the little punk!

As for the season starting earlier, my guess is they want to ride a little of the Hell's Kitchen wave. Who knows? All I do know is, it means more Padma, and for that I'm definitely not complaining!

Just about 45 minutes to go. Can't wait!

I so wanted the Season 1 team to win and was very glad when it did!:yay:

Me either. :sad2:
I am hoping Project Runway will start when Top Chef ends.

Oh, yeah, I forgot about the crappy trash talking that Ilan did concerning Harold. One more reason for me to hate the little punk!

What did he say?? I missed that part!

DH watches this mostly and I kind of "listen". I told him this morning that the Season 1 folks were like the chefs a V&A and the Season 2 folks were like the chefs at maybe CG (they were good, maybe even great but no where near as talented as Season 1).

But what was the deal with Marcel's little fan club?!?!?!

Always thought Season 1 was more about food and Season 2 was more about personality.

And not to sound ageist but I think a big difference in between the seasons comes down to age. For the most part, the S1 cast is not much older than S2 but that time turned experience in the kitchen seems to make all the difference.

I can't believe I will watch S3 but I got suckered into the All-Star showdown last night and I got hooked.

Looking forward to "healthy and hearty" conversations here!!

What did he say?? I missed that part!
After he won TC2, Ilan gave one of those mini interviews where he was going on and on about Harold being a boring individual and that his style of cooking was boring. He (Ilan) was going to be the more exciting Top Chef. :rolleyes:
Always thought Season 1 was more about food and Season 2 was more about dysfunctional personality.
OK, fixed. :rotfl:
You're right, of course!

Random thoughts on last night's All Star episode:

Quickfire Challenge: Having professional chefs cook eggs with one hand behing their backs is just stupid. OK, producers? Stephen's omellette looked wonderful but I really wanted to taste Harold's egg dish. Sam's looked really good too, though.

When the chefs went back to the hotel, I loved that Harold told Marcel to grow up. Coming from any of the S1 contestants, that would have been good, but Harold's the dean of the cheftestants IMO and I just loved that he smacked Marcel down but good.

I'm happy to say that Ilan came across as the most disorganized, scatterbrained and unprepared of any of the 8 chefs. He also seems to have not a clue as to where his career is going. Suddenly, he was challenged to prepare something other than Spanish cuisine and he couldn't handle it. I can't stand that little creep.

OTOH, Harold's new NYC restaurant, Perilla, is almost ready to open in the West Village. I'd love to eat there someday.

Elimination Challenge:
If Stephen would have allowed Dave to make the Floribbean style scallops as he wanted to, I'd bet that the S1 team would have won in a shut out. I didn't really see any of the chefs explaining to the judges that they were going for a Mediterranean theme with their dishes. Dave's original prep for the scallops sounded much more appealing than what he ultimately prepared.

In the head to head challenges, I love that Stephen/Marcel and Harold/Ilan ended up competing against each other. It was perfect. Stephen's lobster dish looked to me to be the best dish of the night. Marcel: Foam and gelee, ugh, enough already. And, even though the judges weren't raving over Harold's duck meatballs w. gnocchi, it was great that he beat Ilan in my book. I would love to have tasted the meatballs. I thought that was a very clever preparation. Obviously, I'm glad Ilan's dish fell flat. It seemed that Ilan's dish was the worst overall according to the judges.

The only head to head I thought was close was Tiffany/Sam. Both Kobe beef preparations looked delicious. I think Sam could have won easily but the judges wanted a clear victory for the S1 team (as did I.) They're both talented chefs no matter what.

All in all, it was a fun episode last night. I really hope that Season 3 focuses more on the food and less on the personalities but TC is a reality show first, cooking show second so I'm not holding out all that much hope.

Slightly off topic: Is anyone other than me watching The Next Food Network Star on Sunday nights? I didn't watch last season, but my son did and he liked it better than Top Chef so I'm giving it a try. Anyone else?

TC Season 3 here we come... :rolleyes1

Slightly off topic: Is anyone other than me watching The Next Food Network Star on Sunday nights? I didn't watch last season, but my son did and he liked it better than Top Chef so I'm giving it a try. Anyone else?

I've never seen an episode, probably because I'm wary that the producers will find as many excuses as they can to shove still more Rachael Ray down the viewing public's collective throat. And I utterly loathe Rachael Ray.

Now, as far as Top Chef goes, I was, obviously, quite thrilled with the outcome of last night's show. And I must say that watching herself on TV had a great effect on Tiffany--I thought she was very classy and understated last night. And I loved Harold, Dave ("I'm not crying this episode!"), and Stephen as usual.

However, after watching last night's show, I can no longer, in good conscience, be a Marcel apologist. Unlike Tiffany, he seemed to have learned nothing from his Top Chef experience. (Although it was kinda great to see him beat Ilan in the Quickfire.) And as far as Sam goes, he really should be made an honorary member of the season one cast. He's far too classy to be associated with season two any longer.

I'm sorry I missed it, but I'm sure it'll be rerun again and again on Bravo. Glad to hear Season 1 won, and that Tiffani toned herself down. I got the impression she was a great cook, just off-putting.

Yes, I watched Next Food Network Star last year (but not the season before). I like it, but it is all about the cooking and not about the personalities.

Marcel and Stephen were back at it. They are so cocky that it really cracks me up. Like someone else said, I loved it when Harold told Marcel off. :lmao:

I'm ready for season 3.

So glad S1 won!

I thought Perilla was open? I read reviews for it online somewhere. I really want to go. :thumbsup2

And as far as Sam goes, he really should be made an honorable member of the season one cast. He's far too classy to be associated with season two any longer.

I agree with that! Classy is a good word for it.

Unfortunately, I was kinda falling asleep/getting ready for bed last night when they showed the quick fire...and I didn't get a chance to notice Tiffani's attitude adjustments.

The promos for S3 already seem to be focusing on the personalities...one guy says "there has to be a bad guy and I'm good at it" among others:rolleyes:

Personally, I would probably never eat any of that food (my palate is MUCH more simple:rotfl: ) but I like to see what they come up with.

After last night's episode, I can say that I highly doubt I'll be watching season 3. Season 2 contestants were obnoxious enough, and it seems like season 3 will be even worse. Blech. I did enjoy the episode though, and the outcome.

Harold's restaurant is open already, and from what I've heard the food is spectacular. I'd love to try it, but I can't see any situation where I'll be able to justify a trip to NYC just to go to a restaurant. :lmao:

I've never seen an episode, probably because I'm wary that the producers will find as many excuses as they can to shove still more Rachael Ray down the viewing public's collective throat. And I utterly loathe Rachael Ray.

And as far as Sam goes, he really should be made an honorary member of the season one cast. He's far too classy to be associated with season two any longer.
I completely agree with you about Rachael Ray. She's like nails on a chalkboard as far as I'm concerned.

I can't quite put Sam in the "classy" division, although I truly enjoy his cooking. Someone with class would have stepped up and told Cliff to stop attacking Marcel in that deplorable episode. Sam fell a few notches in my book by acting as if he were an innocent bystander. Was he the best of the Season 2 contestants? Yes, but that's not exactly praiseworthy.
Yes, I watched Next Food Network Star last year (but not the season before). I like it, but it is all about the cooking and not about the personalities.
So I should like it a lot. ;)
Harold's restaurant is open already, and from what I've heard the food is spectacular. I'd love to try it, but I can't see any situation where I'll be able to justify a trip to NYC just to go to a restaurant. :lmao:
Then he needs to get his website up and running with more than just the name:

http://www.perillanyc.com/

C'mon Harold. Those of us not living in the NYC area would love to see some of your creations and menus (and prices!)

I'm watching it. It could be interesting, although the show the last couple seasons has been a lot tamer than the other cooking shows, at least personality-wise.

Oh, and I agree with you on pretty much all your points of the All-Star show (even though I didn't quote them all ;) ). Stephen actually impressed me -- I didn't like him much on Season 1, but he seems like he's toned down the food snob stuff and has matured quite a bit, which is more than could be said about most of the Season 2 crew. :rolleyes:

I completely agree with you about Rachael Ray. She's like nails on a chalkboard as far as I'm concerned.

I can't quite put Sam in the "classy" division, although I truly enjoy his cooking. Someone with class would have stepped up and told Cliff to stop attacking Marcel in that deplorable episode. Sam fell a few notches in my book by acting as if he were an innocent bystander. Was he the best of the Season 2 contestants? Yes, but that's not exactly praiseworthy.

Good point about Sam. But I'm willing to cut him a bit of slack, especially after watching the Watch What Happens online chat after he was sent packing back during season two. He's just come across (to me, anyway), for the majority of his screen time, as more classy than not.

And I'm glad to see we're of one accord on Sat--er, Rachael Ray. :thumbsup2

It certainly looks like we're going to have a good bunch in here for Season 3.:thumbsup2

I did a search to see if anyone started a thread yet - I'm glad you did. I recorded last week's episode but haven't watched it yet. I hope this season is better than II. :rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter