** The Official Priced Out Thread **

Status
Not open for further replies.
My family and I were thinking of skipping Disney for 2020 to let the Star Wars crowds filter through. We have two kids - ages 2 and 5, and travel in the summer because my husband and I are teachers. We thought maybe we'd try a short Disney cruise with the kids in 2020 instead of doing the parks. I knew DCL was expensive, but I had NO IDEA how expensive it was. Yesterday I looked at 3 itineraries to the Bahamas or Caribbean in July and August.

A 5 night cruise on the Dream to Nassau and Castaway Cay was going to be $7000 for the 4 of us - FOR AN INSIDE STATEROOM. The 4 night itineraries I looked at were going to be $6500, again - for the inside staterooms. We took a hard pass. Maybe we'll try consider cruising again in a few years when our kids are over the characters and do another cruise line. We cruised RCCL a few times as when I was a teenager, and I remember it being a fun experience for all. I am shocked that these cabins are flying off the shelves. My husband was like, we'll just to to WDW instead. Obviously WDW can be an expensive trip too, but there are ways to make it affordable (driving, buying groceries for breakfast/lunch, and staying offsite or in cheaper accommodations), whereas it doesn't seem like there is any way to make DCL more affordable. Am I missing something?! My husband and I are cruising this August by ourselves on a 5 night cruise on the Anthem of the Seas, and our total cost for a verandah stateroom was $2300. That's the only other cruise I've booked, so it's my only point of reference.

Last edited:
Call me shocked on recent pricing, too! I was in love with the Greek itineraries and thought we may snag one for next year - um, at $30,000 for a verandah for a family of 5? We could fly first class to Australia for less than that. I think my jaw hit the floor when I tried to dummy book. I was prepared for it to be expensive but just couldn't imagine a cruise for $30k!!!
The deposit alone is 6k?

My family and I were thinking of skipping Disney for 2020 to let the Star Wars crowds filter through. We have two kids - ages 2 and 5, and travel in the summer because my husband and I are teachers. We thought maybe we'd try a short Disney cruise with the kids in 2020 instead of doing the parks. I knew DCL was expensive, but I had NO IDEA how expensive it was. Yesterday I looked at 3 itineraries to the Bahamas or Caribbean in July and August.

A 5 night cruise on the Dream to Nassau and Castaway Cay was going to be $7000 for the 4 of us - FOR AN INSIDE STATEROOM. The 4 night itineraries I looked at were going to be $6500, again - for the inside staterooms. We took a hard pass. Maybe we'll try consider cruising again in a few years when our kids are over the characters and do another cruise line. We cruised RCCL a few times as when I was a teenager, and I remember it being a fun experience for all. I am shocked that these cabins are flying off the shelves. My husband was like, we'll just to to WDW instead. Obviously WDW can be an expensive trip too, but there are ways to make it affordable (driving, buying groceries for breakfast/lunch, and staying offsite or in cheaper accommodations), whereas it doesn't seem like there is any way to make DCL more affordable. Am I missing something?! My husband and I are cruising this August by ourselves on a 5 night cruise on the Anthem of the Seas, and our total cost for a verandah stateroom was $2300. That's the only other cruise I've booked, so it's my only point of reference.
Try pricing out that same 5-day trip in September and you will notice that the cost is noticeably less.

I think that there are always 2 things that I have really noticed DCL pricing (and, to a lesser extent this applies to other lines as well):

1) Is school in session. Yes, this applies to all lines, but I notice a much larger delta it seems for DCL. You can look at the same cruise in March (this is from past experience) and it can be a $1.000 to $2,000 difference if it is a spring break week or not. Don't even try to price out something over New Years... However, sometimes, January/February/Early May/September/October are more reasonable...

2) On the older ships... There can be quite a large difference between an inside room and a verandah room. Moreso than on other lines. For instance, for a family of 3, the 12-night Greek Isles was around $11,000. Put those 3 in a balcony and the price was over $16,000. This difference is exacerbated especially in Alaska and Europe...

Now, on the Dream/Fantasy, there doesn't seem to be as much difference between insides and verandahs...

Call me shocked on recent pricing, too! I was in love with the Greek itineraries and thought we may snag one for next year - um, at $30,000 for a verandah for a family of 5? We could fly first class to Australia for less than that. I think my jaw hit the floor when I tried to dummy book. I was prepared for it to be expensive but just couldn't imagine a cruise for $30k!!!
Quick note about this. The Cat 4's are extremely pricey. However, you will be a good bit cheaper to get 2 in a balcony (Like a 5E/D) and 3 in an inside (like a Cat 11)... (Sometimes it doesn't work that way, but it seems to on the Greek Isles ones..)

Well, everyone keeps telling us how wonderful RCCL is, but we took one (our only one) back in 2014 on the Serenade of the Seas out of NOLA and it was BY FAR our worst cruising experience out of the 20 or so cruises we have had. Really left a sour taste in our mouth. Why does RCCL bring up luggage through the passenger elevators on embarkation and debarkation days? There were only 2 of the 6 available for passengers. Rock climbing wall only open one day during the entire 7 day cruise? Who tries to put a refrigerator on the loveseat? Who closes ALL food options between 2 and 5pm?

On the contrary, the next year, we tried the Carnival Sunshine and had a blast. Our daughter particularly loved the ropes course (I do not believe the RCCL ships, even Oasis class have those. I do think some of the NCL ships do). The included food was MUCH better than RCCL. On the Serenade, to get pizza or burgers, you had to go into the Windjammer, there was no poolside grill or pizza option. (There was a small cafe - not very good - located in the Adult area). On the Sunshine, they had Guy's Burgers, Blue Iguana (so good), stir-fry, make your own pasta, etc. And, on Carnival it was all included. Also, we liked the room better on the Sunshine than the Serenade.

We were on the Serenade in 2016 and definitely did not have the luggage/elevator thing or any of the other things that you mention. I do know that it is an older ship - about 12 or so years old by the time you sailed so again you're comparing very different RC experiences. As far as Carnival - they have no entertainment we'd be interested in (another biggie for daughter). And as mentioned the Oasis class are very different - plenty of "free" food options all day long. My recollection of eating on the Breeze was being trampled by people that wanted to get to the food - literally. Guy's was a particular nightmare. There were other issues as well and I'm just going to leave it at that. I had higher hopes for that ship but it scared me away from Carnival permanently. As I said...we're lucky that there are options to keep us all happy!

I am too scared to look at 2020 pricing. We are booked on the 7 night Fantasy this Aug as a family and Hawaii with my mother westbound in 2020 spring. Summer 2020 family trip we have not really thought about though we usually go end of August to WDW anyways. I have a sad gut feeling that things will be changing the next few years When it comes to Disney.For one my husband is sick of Orlando and if I were to convince him to get On a boat again it would have to be either Norway or Iceland. As we live in Europe DCL is insane financially. We do have disposable income but not at the level where just throwing out 15,000 here and there does not make a difference. it does for us. When I see what the recent greece sailings are asking for I about dropped dead as I know you can have better itineraries and better ships for much less. But what I will miss about DCL though Is the whole fish extender community. Spending months before a cruise getting those Ready is part of the fun. I was reading on the greece thread what people are spending and it just goes to show that people have different income levels than us just dropping 25 grand for a 9 night sailing is not in Our books.

We are lucky that we are doing oasis of the sea‘sTome sailing this June so we will have a taste Of a different line. Which I am actually very optimistic about since my teens are very excited to try that line out. It is hurting our bank as we are doing two cruises this summer one DCL Caribbean and one Med. but the crazy thing is when I add those two cruises together it’s about the same or less than some of the quotes I’ve seen on the Greece Sailings

I am too scared to look at 2020 pricing. We are booked on the 7 night Fantasy this Aug as a family and Hawaii with my mother westbound in 2020 spring. Summer 2020 family trip we have not really thought about though we usually go end of August to WDW anyways. I have a sad gut feeling that things will be changing the next few years When it comes to Disney.For one my husband is sick of Orlando and if I were to convince him to get On a boat again it would have to be either Norway or Iceland. As we live in Europe DCL is insane financially. We do have disposable income but not at the level where just throwing out 15,000 here and there does not make a difference. it does for us. When I see what the recent greece sailings are asking for I about dropped dead as I know you can have better itineraries and better ships for much less. But what I will miss about DCL though Is the whole fish extender community. Spending months before a cruise getting those Ready is part of the fun. I was reading on the greece thread what people are spending and it just goes to show that people have different income levels than us just dropping 25 grand for a 9 night sailing is not in Our books.

We are lucky that we are doing oasis of the sea‘sTome sailing this June so we will have a taste Of a different line. Which I am actually very optimistic about since my teens are very excited to try that line out. It is hurting our bank as we are doing two cruises this summer one DCL Caribbean and one Med. but the crazy thing is when I add those two cruises together it’s about the same or less than some of the quotes I’ve seen on the Greece Sailings

Heck, I'm currently booked on the 6/22 cruise and its the same price as we paid for concierge on the Wonder in 2018 to be in an 9B - mind you I booked literal opening day with Platinum an hour before they were even supposed to be released on the website and it was STILL that much more. If we were sailing with more than just the two of us I think we'd have absolutely been priced out of this one too.

Try pricing out that same 5-day trip in September and you will notice that the cost is noticeably less.

I think that there are always 2 things that I have really noticed DCL pricing (and, to a lesser extent this applies to other lines as well):

1) Is school in session. Yes, this applies to all lines, but I notice a much larger delta it seems for DCL. You can look at the same cruise in March (this is from past experience) and it can be a $1.000 to $2,000 difference if it is a spring break week or not. Don't even try to price out something over New Years... However, sometimes, January/February/Early May/September/October are more reasonable...

I know. It’s really the only bummer about a teacher schedule. I’m off Christmas, Easter, and from June 22-August 18th. I love my summers and holidays off to spend at home with my kids, but it sure is expensive to travel then!

Heck, I'm currently booked on the 6/22 cruise and its the same price as we paid for concierge on the Wonder in 2018 to be in an 9B - mind you I booked literal opening day with Platinum an hour before they were even supposed to be released on the website and it was STILL that much more. If we were sailing with more than just the two of us I think we'd have absolutely been priced out of this one too.
Concierge is a whole another level of ridiculousness...

But, it is sold out, so someone must be paying it...

We were on the Serenade in 2016 and definitely did not have the luggage/elevator thing or any of the other things that you mention. I do know that it is an older ship - about 12 or so years old by the time you sailed so again you're comparing very different RC experiences. As far as Carnival - they have no entertainment we'd be interested in (another biggie for daughter). And as mentioned the Oasis class are very different - plenty of "free" food options all day long. My recollection of eating on the Breeze was being trampled by people that wanted to get to the food - literally. Guy's was a particular nightmare. There were other issues as well and I'm just going to leave it at that. I had higher hopes for that ship but it scared me away from Carnival permanently. As I said...we're lucky that there are options to keep us all happy!
Found it! Here you go!
IMG_2493.jpg

So, I was also checking pricing. We are sailing Regal Princess on Thanksgiving week. Our cost for the 3 of us in an interior room was just over $2,000 with $200 OBC. Just to check out an Oasis class ship, I priced out the Harmony of the Seas. Inside cabin for 3... $4,725.60. An inside that same week on Allure out of FLL was a bit better at $3,895.07 for the 3 of us.

However, just like I understand people not wanting to pay the premium for DCL, the Oasis class charges a large premium as well. I can almost cruise twice on the Regal Princess (also a great ship) for what I can sail on one of these... (Granted, this is a point in time snapshot, but used for a comparison)...

So, I was also checking pricing. We are sailing Regal Princess on Thanksgiving week. Our cost for the 3 of us in an interior room was just over $2,000 with $200 OBC. Just to check out an Oasis class ship, I priced out the Harmony of the Seas. Inside cabin for 3... $4,725.60. An inside that same week on Allure out of FLL was a bit better at $3,895.07 for the 3 of us.

However, just like I understand people not wanting to pay the premium for DCL, the Oasis class charges a large premium as well. I can almost cruise twice on the Regal Princess (also a great ship) for what I can sail on one of these... (Granted, this is a point in time snapshot, but used for a comparison)...
I was on Oasis the week after Thanksgiving (11/25/18), and the total price for 2 people in a Central Park balcony was $1,270.84, with $175 in OBC. I booked it in early January 2018 with a discount online travel agency, and I also got a Diamond Crown & Anchor balcony discount.

I was on Oasis the week after Thanksgiving (11/25/18), and the total price for 2 people in a Central Park balcony was $1,270.84, with $175 in OBC. I booked it in early January 2018 with a discount online travel agency, and I also got a Diamond Crown & Anchor balcony discount.
Go check it for this year... They’ve really gone up...

ETA: The Oasis class that is. The older RCCL ships don’t seem to have as that much of a jump.

If we could get an Oasis class ship for anywhere near that during a time we could go, we would definitely jump on it. I am sure our experience would be much different than what we had on the Serenade...

Last edited:
We are platinum cruisers who have sailed only Disney until last summer. 16 cruises in 8 years. BUT I could not pay Disneys pricing for Norway. We tried Holland Americas M.S Konningsdam and what a wonderful surprise.
A beautiful 2 year old ship with a retraceable roof. MY DH,DD and I were so surprised how much we loved it! I was expecting it to be not as good as Disney but it blew them out of the water. It was the best cruise food we have had! And the food options...The itinerary was Fantastic, we actually crossed the Artic Circle into Honningsvag. So there is many other Great options out there. Our price for 14 nights (3 people) was $12 455.00 Canadian with a drink package for 2, in a verandah room. In a room we never would have been able to have on Disney. My daughter just used my card for anything she wanted. Loved it so much we are hoping to sail them again very soon.:o

We are platinum cruisers who have sailed only Disney until last summer. 16 cruises in 8 years. BUT I could not pay Disneys pricing for Norway. We tried Holland Americas M.S Konningsdam and what a wonderful surprise.
A beautiful 2 year old ship with a retraceable roof. MY DH,DD and I were so surprised how much we loved it! I was expecting it to be not as good as Disney but it blew them out of the water. It was the best cruise food we have had! And the food options...The itinerary was Fantastic, we actually crossed the Artic Circle into Honningsvag. So there is many other Great options out there. Our price for 14 nights (3 people) was $12 455.00 Canadian with a drink package for 2, in a verandah room. In a room we never would have been able to have on Disney. My daughter just used my card for anything she wanted. Loved it so much we are hoping to sail them again very soon.:o
Hadn’t tried HAL yet, but would like to do that as well!

Go check it for this year... They’ve really gone up...

ETA: The Oasis class that is. The older RCCL ships don’t seem to have as that much of a jump.

If we could get an Oasis class ship for anywhere near that during a time we could go, we would definitely jump on it. I am sure our experience would be much different than what we had on the Serenade...
Holiday weeks are usually higher. However, the price for Oasis of the Seas the week after Thanksgiving (Dec. 1-8, 2019), sailing from Miami, is $1,646.84 for 2 in a Central Park Balcony. That's with a non-refundable deposit and $75 in OBC - booked online with CruiseQuick (www.cruisequick.com)

This itinerary for Norway was absolutely wonderful. It had so many wonderful ports and Amsterdam an amazing departure port. Ship was extremely clean, very friendly staff and again … the Food! Hoping to sail on their new ship next year.
We are very open to new experiences now. :flower1:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter