The Official Polynesian Resort FAQ thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Azure said:
I've heard that you can hear cars from the speedway. Is this true?

I don’t know if it is the same sausage but there is sausage with the breakfast platter.

The speedway is south east of the Polynesian and I have read in a few books that warn of the noise but in all the trips and all the different rooms (including one closest to the direction of the speedway) I have never heard the cars once. I also usually walk the grounds of the Polynesian during the day to get photos and check out things and have not heard anything during my walks. All I ever hear are birds.

FUNNY!!!! TIKI....IDOL!!! get it??? :rotfl2:

ticktock said:
Is the Samoa longhouse's rehab completely done? Does the whole building have the new headboards? We've decided to do a quick weekend trip in two weeks and are staying garden view. I would REALLY like to have a new room complete with the new headboards that were delayed etc... Thanks for any info, I couldn't tell from Tikimans site if any longhouses were completely done?

Samoa did have all the items when it first was redone. I don't always get to putting all that info on the longhouse pages but I put that in the updates page.

http://www.tikiman2001.homestead.com/poly2_55.html

Tikiman said:
I don’t know if it is the same sausage but there is sausage with the breakfast platter.

The speedway is south east of the Polynesian and I have read in a few books that warn of the noise but in all the trips and all the different rooms (including one closest to the direction of the speedway) I have never heard the cars once. I also usually walk the grounds of the Polynesian during the day to get photos and check out things and have not heard anything during my walks. All I ever hear are birds.

FUNNY!!!! TIKI....IDOL!!! get it??? :rotfl2:

AHHHH HE SPOKE TO ME! I'M NOT WORTHY.

Tikiman, did you find that the TV'S in the polynesian rooms (the flat screens) were non-glarable?

Yeah, my english isn't that good... though i'm still taking grade 10 academic english...

Thanks Tikiman! That's fast service. Any advice for Samoa? I usually don't request certain rooms or views since I always book with a Fl. resident or AP discount, I know they save the best rooms for the people paying full price:teeth: .

Catrin said:
Well, we are leaving in a few hours for our weekend at the Poly!

I just called the front desk to let them know we are having a very late check in.

A BIG THANKS to everyone who has taken the time to post here - especially STEVE and his TIKIMAN site!

The first thing I am going to do after I check in tonight is stand in the middle of the resort and BREATHE - I want to take it all in >> the sounds, the music, the View of the Castle from the lake. Since 1984, when I first went to Disney, I have always wanted to Stay at the Poly - and finally, 22 years later, I am THERE.

:thanks: Cathy
How long are you staying at Poly? We are arriving Saturday afternoon and staying until the following Sunday. Maybe we'll see you there. Have a great trip!

Azure said:
Tikiman, did you find that the TV'S in the polynesian rooms (the flat screens) were non-glarable?

Yeah, my english isn't that good... though i'm still taking grade 10 academic english...

When I saw the new room design in August 2005 the rooms were not open yet so I was not staying in the new room and was not able to turn on the TV so I would not be too much help with that. It is an LCD screen (like a computer) and not a plasma. It seemed to have a non-glare screen and not a glossy one but someone who has tried to watch the TV might be better to answer that unless you want to wait until December for me to check it out for you ;)

ticktock said:
Thanks Tikiman! That's fast service. Any advice for Samoa? I usually don't request certain rooms or views since I always book with a Fl. resident or AP discount, I know they save the best rooms for the people paying full price:teeth: .

I would request Samoa and than when you get there see if it is available if you were not put in Samoa.

Have all of the rooms in Tokelau been refurbished yet? I'm torn been requesting Fiji or Tokelau! :confused3

mia01 said:
Have all of the rooms in Tokelau been refurbished yet? I'm torn been requesting Fiji or Tokelau! :confused3

Tokelau is not even open. It is expected to reopen in October.

Tikiman - Can you comment on this?
From All Ears: Polynesian Resort -- Captain Cook's 24-hour counter service in the Great Ceremonial House closed June 19 for refurbishment. It's tentatively scheduled to reopen September 15, 2006. In the meantime, a counter service location with a limited menu is now operating in Tangaroa Terrace. No refillable mugs will be sold or refilled here during this time. In addition, several Polynesian Resort longhouses are still undergoing rehab, with minimal effect on guests.

I thought your website listed a much later reopening time?

ticktock said:

We went in May with the Fl Res. Discount and I got all my room requests. We had a great, 3rd floor room Fiji marina side. We could see space mountain and watch the water pagent from our balcony! :thumbsup2

I made the same requests for our next trip. I really want samoa, but seems it's harder to get your requests there, since it's SO popular!

MommyPoppins said:
We went in May with the Fl Res. Discount and I got all my room requests. We had a great, 3rd floor room Fiji marina side. We could see space mountain and watch the water pagent from our balcony! :thumbsup2

I made the same requests for our next trip. I really want samoa, but seems it's harder to get your requests there, since it's SO popular!

Fiji, on the marina side, third floor balcony, is that a Garden View that turned out good?

MommyPoppins said:
From All Ears: Polynesian Resort -- Captain Cook's 24-hour counter service in the Great Ceremonial House closed June 19 for refurbishment. It's tentatively scheduled to reopen September 15, 2006. In the meantime, a counter service location with a limited menu is now operating in Tangaroa Terrace. No refillable mugs will be sold or refilled here during this time. In addition, several Polynesian Resort longhouses are still undergoing rehab, with minimal effect on guests.
Amanda, that's just another example of why Tikiman's website is the best place on the internet to find the most complete information about the Polynesian Resort!
:thumbsup2

Hi everybody :wave:

Just wanted to share my great experience of the Poly. Me and Dh stayed 2 Aug to 8 Aug. On arrival Tina checked us in and checked our requests against our allocation. i had asked for Samoa or Rarotonga, balcony, non-smoking, and got Rapa Nui, 3rd floor (balcony) non-smoking. She also noted that it was our anniversary soon (must have mentioned it when booking) It was very speey with no wait. we then moved onto concierge where we upgraded our park hoppers, all so easy and the CMs were so friendly. BTW, the next day when we came back from the parks was a sigened photo of Minnie and Mickey personally congratulating us on our anniversry. It made me bounce up and down for a little while, such a nice gesture. :sunny:

Location turned out great (room 3107) as it was only a 5 minute walk to the TTC, Captain Cooks (the temp. location) and the quiet pool, and really its only a couple more minutes to the Great Ceremonial House or volcano pool. I didn't find the resort too spread out all :goodvibes The room was just gorgeous, with 2 full size beds, flat-screen TV, good size fridge. View was not the greatest (parking lot) but it didn't matter really...the room was huge! the other thing I noticed was how well air condidtioned the longhouses were and it was a welcome relief to walk through the automatic doors every day.

The temporary Captain Cooks never seemed too busy and had plenty of grab and go stuff like fruit, youghurts, chips, pastries etc. Really good for grabbing breakfast on the way to the bus stop. The quiet pool was exactly that, never too crowded, and the right temperature, where the volcano pool always seemed too warm. we did go to the volcano pool a couple of times and it was nice to cool down but not the right pool for actually swimming, more wading around the other people :teeth: . I loved the bar and the cocktails right next to the pool, really friendly barman, and the beach had the nicest sand i've ever come across...so to set the scene, pina colava on a hammock, watching the boats going to the magic Kingdom, which you can also see from the beach, the Grand Floridian in all its glory to my left, and the sun beating down, just beautiful. We also had a stunning view of the electrical water pageant and Wishes from the beach, no music but you could just make it out from MK if you listened hard.

Shops in the main house had everything you would expect, the usual merchandise, but some really nice clothing in Boutiki and Poly specific souvenirs. i am now the proud owner of a tropical print sundress :goodvibes The gallery downstairs is also worth checking out, beautiful glass sculptures, very unafforable for most though. I saw different entertainment in the lobby, like lei-threading, towel animal demos, hula lessons, always something going on.
Upstairs we tried Ohana for breakfast (been to dinner before) and I thought the characters, service and food (esp. pineapple bread) were outstanding. Since being back, I have switched my Chef Mickeys for Ohana, for my October trip. It was so much calmer and the characters didn't seem in a rush like at Chef Mickeys. Much nicer.

Transport was always right there when needed, never waited more than 5 minutes for a bus or monorail. You do have to share the bus with either the Contempary or Grand Floridian depending on the route though. Worst journey is to DTD as it goes to Typhoon Lagoon too so this will take you around 30 minutes on a good day. We only went there once as it was so annoying to be on the bus that long. the boat to MK was my favourite way to get around, so peaceful and easy without the big crowds of the monorail, and you could just put your swimgear on under your park clothes and hop in the pool on the way back to your room as the dock is right next to the pool. Very nice on a hot day.

So my overall opinion: a stunning piece of paradise that gives you a true vacation amidst the chaos of the parks. It was warm, welcoming, luxurious, beautiful, worth every penny and I wouldn't change a thing :cheer2: Now my problem is, how do i ever save up enough to stay there again? Nothing will ever compare :rolleyes:

Just wanted to say bye to all of you. We are leaving for Disney in a few hours even though we won't get to Poly until tommorow. I"m hoping after reading all these negative posts we still have a magical time there. Thanks for all your help and advice when I was plaaning my trip. I'll give a review when we get back next Sunday. :wave:

MommyPoppins said:

Back when Captain Cooks was going to close they had sent out that date as a possible opening. Shortly after there were rumors from the staff and managment that it would be much longer and possibly the rest of the year. Recently they sent me an email that stated it might do a soft opening just before Thanksgiving and than fully open some time in December. That was the last information I was sent. That information was sent to the staff from the managment.

Since that information was never officially released to the public many web pages still list the old opening date.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter