• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Official Polynesian Resort FAQ thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
PRaffen said:
Just read the following on Deb's site:

"Does the Polynesian offer nightly turndown service?

Concierge guests will receive this service upon request"

I thought turndown was automatic for concierge :confused3 Is it or do I need to request it?

Thanks! Less than 40 days to go!!! :Pinkbounc

Concierge guests get turndown automatically. That has not changed. Non-concierge guests can request turndown service at no charge.

Michelle2 said:
We will be there around your dates too....the 8-17th, and yes, it seems like we have been waiting forever too! Maybe we will see you there. We will be in 2 GV rooms. :teeth:

Just checked with reservations and no more GVC rooms are available for our stay, so I guess we'll be sticking with the MK. Oh well, we'll have a great view and it IS the Polynesian, after all!

We'll look for you, Michelle. It'll be Dh and me and our 4 year old DD. Who's in your crew? We're thinking of using Neverland on the night of our anniversary.

Grace&Carolinesmom said:
I am hoping someone familiar with the Tokelau longhouse can answer these questions. Where are the stairs located? I have already heard that the elevator is in the middle of the building but are the stairs there also or on each end or ??? Has anyone ever stayed in the rooms adjacent to the stairs to know if you can hear people going up and down the stairs making it noisy in the room or are the rooms well soundproofed?

Also, does it take substancially longer to walk to the GCH from the beach end of Tokelau vs the end near Roratonga? We will be staying for 8 nts next April and will definitly use captain cooks ALOT. I would also like to know if there are any "bad" views from Tokelau that we should avoid. We have requested 3rd floor/pool side. Any insight? TIA :goodvibes

Well, I'l try to answer a couple of your questions. We've never stayed in Tokelau but have been through it and around it many times over the years. The elevator is in the middle and there are outside stairwells at both ends of the building just as at the other longhouses. Since the stairwells are on the outside and the rooms are very quiet throughout the resort anyway, I don't think noise would be a factor in the rooms adjacent to the stairs. There could also be a stairwell in the middle of the building but I can't remember that. But really why worry about that anyway. :confused3 I'm not trying to be flip I just don't see the location of the stairwells being a biggie?

The room near the lagoon are probably at most an extra 2 minute walk.

I personally think I would request the other side of the building because it looks out over a lovely courtyard. But the pool area is nicely landscaped as well and if you enjoy a poolview, go for it.

Happy planning and I hope this helped a little. :sunny:

Grace&Carolinesmom said:
I am hoping someone familiar with the Tokelau longhouse can answer these questions. Where are the stairs located? I have already heard that the elevator is in the middle of the building but are the stairs there also or on each end or ??? Has anyone ever stayed in the rooms adjacent to the stairs to know if you can hear people going up and down the stairs making it noisy in the room or are the rooms well soundproofed?

Also, does it take substancially longer to walk to the GCH from the beach end of Tokelau vs the end near Roratonga? We will be staying for 8 nts next April and will definitly use captain cooks ALOT. I would also like to know if there are any "bad" views from Tokelau that we should avoid. We have requested 3rd floor/pool side. Any insight? TIA :goodvibes

As already stated, the stairwells are outside the buildings, on each end and possibly near the front door - across from the quiet pool. Check out Tikiman's site for some room views http://tikiman2001.homestead.com I chose the other side of the building garden view, near the end closest to the beach - you can get an "almost" lagoon view room for the price of garden view.
3475%3B5796%7Ffp46%3Dot%3E2344%3D84%3B%3D795%3DXROQDF%3E23238%3B%3A574682ot1lsi

Tokelau is so convenient to the TTC - that's the main draw for me - plus the quietness of the beach right outside your building. The walk to GCH, not that big of a deal. We usually walked over to TTC to catch either the monorail (express) or the ferry to MK.
3475%3B5796%7Ffp54%3Dot%3E2344%3D84%3B%3D795%3DXROQDF%3E23238%3B%3A5748%3A%3Aot1lsi

Or we rode the small boat from the boat launch area
3475%3B57%3A9%7Ffp343%3Enu%3D3253%3E75%3A%3E6%3A4%3EWSNRCG%3D323379%3A584767nu0mrj

I was just sitting here looking at pictures of the Poly and thinking . . . hmm . . . I bet that pineapple guava juice they have in the concierge lounge would taste good spiked with a little vodka! :woohoo:

Thanks to SnwflkCts and Tess for the fireworks viewing suggestions. We will definitely give them a try. Can't wait til Sept. 26 !!!!

:cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

Just a couple of quick questions, please... :)

We will be staying at the Poly later this month, for 10 days. This will be our 4th time to stay there. Let me tell you what I'm thinking and you can tell me what I'm missing!

I plan to request the Raratonga longhouse, 3rd floor. Although we LOVED the view we had of MK from Tuvalu a couple of years ago, this time I was thinking I'd rather stay closer to the GCH, Monorail, etc. We won't spend much time in the room, other than to sleep and shower, so the view isn't a major concern. I'd rather have a quick walk to the monorail or bus stop.

Do all rooms now have the small refrigerators, or do you need to request one? We are planning on a grocery stop on the way in, and I was going to buy a cheap styrofoam cooler as well. Gotta have lots of cold drinks for a 10-day stay in July!! I assume 'mousekeeping' will replentish our ice if we ask them?

Does Raratonga have Wi-Fi access now? And is it free or ??

Thanks for any suggestions you might have!! :goodvibes

BeanoC said:
Just a couple of quick questions, please... :)

We will be staying at the Poly later this month, for 10 days. This will be our 4th time to stay there. Let me tell you what I'm thinking and you can tell me what I'm missing!

I plan to request the Raratonga longhouse, 3rd floor. Although we LOVED the view we had of MK from Tuvalu a couple of years ago, this time I was thinking I'd rather stay closer to the GCH, Monorail, etc. We won't spend much time in the room, other than to sleep and shower, so the view isn't a major concern. I'd rather have a quick walk to the monorail or bus stop.

Do all rooms now have the small refrigerators, or do you need to request one? We are planning on a grocery stop on the way in, and I was going to buy a cheap styrofoam cooler as well. Gotta have lots of cold drinks for a 10-day stay in July!! I assume 'mousekeeping' will replentish our ice if we ask them?

Mousekeeping has never replenished my ice though we've never asked them to. The mini fridge should be in all rooms by now but by all means give mousekeeping a call if it isn't there. We found the fridge to be plenty big enough for water bottles, cans of soda, and Capri Suns. We even had a half of room service pizza in there one day! I would skip the cooler unless you are bringing a lot of food. We love Raratonga 3rd floor and ask for the monorail view in that one. It is our second favorite building. Our first is Samoa, 3rd floor facing the volcano pool. That view also gives you a nice lagoon view fo the price of a garrden view. Have a great trip. We got back two weeks ago and are returning in 11 weeks for another wonderful Poly stay!

Hi everyone!

My family and I are booked in to the Poly Sept 13-18 for our first ever WDW (I guess my signature already says that) BUT I cannot decide if I should make any requests on our ressie for specific longhouses other than non-smoking. We booked a lagoon view and are checking in at 5pm. I would put Tahiti as my first choice but it is also really important to me to have a room that is as newly renovated as possible. Does the fact that Tahiti's reno is scheduled until Oct. 2006 mean that no rooms are available at all or do they offer those on the floors that are finished? Is it even crazy to want a building that will probably have construction ongoing? Does anyone have other longhouse suggestions? I considered Tahiti because it has lagoon view but also because it seems to be the best locale to access both the GCH and the TTC.
I have checked out Tikiman's website extensively and that is how I picked Tahiti in the first place. I would love some direction if it is out there and willing to be shared!!! :goodvibes Part of me thinks I should just leave it up to the Tikigods and that it will probably work out for the best anyway??? :rolleyes1
Thank you in advance!

BeanoC said:

Raratonga sounds like a great request for your plans.

All refurbished rooms have refrigerators and almost all buildings are finished now.

I think a cooler would not be a good idea. As Daisy said, the refrigerators hold quite a few beverages. In addition, I would think that coolers would have a tendency to leak. Water on the floors plus FL humidity would lead to mold &/or mildew I think.

Trying to think how to say this gently but I can't imagine asking a mousekeeper to keep a styrofoam cooler iced. It is not as if the mousekeeper is a valet. Just as I'm sure you would not ask your mousekeeper to iron your clothes, asking her/him to fill a styrofoam cooler seems inappropriate to me.

I think the mousekeepers work very hard to do the specific tasks assigned to them. :sunny:

Hope you enjoy your stay. Will you give us a report? :thumbsup2

BVC23 said:
Trying to think how to say this gently but I can't imagine asking a mousekeeper to keep a styrofoam cooler iced. It is not as if the mousekeeper is a valet. Just as I'm sure you would not ask your mousekeeper to iron your clothes, asking her/him to fill a styrofoam cooler seems inappropriate to me.

I think the mousekeepers work very hard to do the specific tasks assigned to them.

Point taken!! :)

That said - I have ten envelopes with ten dollars in each one as a daily gratuity for 'mousekeeping'...

Does that earn me the right to ask for the fresh ice, or am I still assuming too much?

I am always willing to pay for the services I request. :goodvibes

LISADKG

I bet any room with a lagoon view is going to be great! You may just leave it up to the TIKIGODS for this. The first time I went (just in Feb) ... my only request (besides non-smoking) was a balcony. I was given the most beautiful room (Garden View). I am just as glad I did not agonize over which building!

I didn't see anyone else answer you but maybe they did (it's early in the morning) ... that's just my 2 cents.

HAVE A WONDERFUL TIME!!! :banana:

Not a double-post - just finished reading the newest posts that I had not read before! Gotta keep up with it!

Anyway: CarolB - GREAT PICTURES!!!

BeanoC - I really can't imagine asking Mousekeeping for ice -- are you asking them to bring it when you are in the room or put it in your cooler when you are out of the room? It may be a question to call and ask about. Not trying to start any fights -- I just don't see it, even with leaving a tip. Others are right on about the leaking, etc... too. Really, you can put a lot in the fridge and replenish it each morning. I hope you have a great trip with or without a styrofoam cooler! :teeth:

New question: What IS turn-down service? What time is it usually done? I am staying concierge for the first time and I was curious. DH and I pop back to the room at various times and don't want to get caught by suprise! (OK - I don't want to get caught half dressed :blush: ) It IS our anniversary and I may be old but I am not dead yet!

Thank you to everyone who has contributed such great information to this thread. I just finished reading through it -- took me a while.

My family is staying at AKL CL in March 2007, but we just decided to do a split stay and spend the last 2 nights at Poly LVC (GVC was unavailable when I called!).

Do you think it is worth it for only a couple of days?

Is there enough food in the lounge so that we dont need a "sit-down" dinner?

Is it overkill to do concierge and then have dinner at Ohana's?

We've stayed concierge before, Disney and non, and I realize there are great differences between different resorts. Some say you can make a meal out of the offerings, others that they are appetizers to be taken sparingly. Any recommendations / thoughts on this would be appreciated. The room rate for concierge in March is WAY higher than the regular room rate and we're trying to see if it's worth it.

We've visited the Poly many times but never stayed there before. We want to try it since there are so many Poly-lovers on these boards -- I figure it must be something special!

i wouldnt worry about your short stay, we're intending to do the poly just for ONE night at the end of our stay, partly because its a surprise for one of our girls and partly because it will be awesome for us just to spend one day there being able to use the pools and chill and use the extra room space to pack up before we head home. We would have managed fine at the ASMo's for our last night but this is probably the only opportunity the three of us will go away together like this so if we've got the opportunity of the poly we're going to grab it with both hands!

Unfortunately I can't help you on the concierge side! But I hope I've reassured you that two nights will be great!

Ok, you all are going to think I am crazy!!!! We just made our reservations to go to the POLY a few days ago. Yes, we leave in 6 days!!! My DH is going to a conference Monday through Wed. We are staying at the Buena Vista Place first, then moving to the Poly for the rest of our vacation. We have never stayed here before. I am so confused as to where I would like to stay. We are booked for a garden veiw. I think I should just let the magic of Disney take over, but due to the very little planning I have done for this trip, I feel like I need to reserch and find the best room for us. I realize that there are no bad rooms, but I am sure there are better areas than others. I have read Steve's (Tikiman's) site--thanks--and think that I have narrowed where I would like to stay. I am thinking either Samoa or Rarotonga. I was thinking Tokelau--but it is under going construction while we are going to be there.

Things to consider:

Close to pool
Easy walk to TTC
Renovated room

We are planning to do the parks very early, then come back to the Poly to nap and swim. We will then return to the park in the evening. We are very familiar with the weather since we are from Houston.

So, looking at my considerations what do you think for a longhouse for us?

Also, I plan on taking a bunch of photos. Let me know if you are looking for anything specific. I will try to get a photo of it.

Thanks Everyone!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter