• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Official Polynesian Resort FAQ thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the info. I do wish Nachos were available. There's nothing better than munching yummy snacks by the pool. But I have a feeling we won't miss them for long.

We'll be going in September this year. Can anyone tell me if the bus at the Poly shares with other resorts when going to AK, MGM & DTD?

Thanks.

Jen

BCV23 said:
mlwear, you said you only had your carryons. Were you on Magical Express too? First timer was.

Perhaps bell services tell people whom they see arrive that way to walk on to Hawaii since they know they will be making a delivery later anyway. I can imagine making two trips to one room would increase the demand on bell services quite a bit depending on what percentage of guests are using ME.

Just a thought. :confused3

Yes, we did use ME.
It wasn't a big deal. It was frustrating at first because we had never been there and had no idea which building was Hawaii and wandered around for a bit carrying our stuff. But, heck we weren't going to let something like that get to us. We were thrilled to be there. :)

jeniferrice said:
We'll be going in September this year. Can anyone tell me if the bus at the Poly shares with other resorts when going to AK, MGM & DTD?

Thanks.

Jen

The Polynesian shares a bus with the Contemporary and the GF but some times it shares with the WL instead of the Contemporary.

Tikiman said:
Each location serves different food. I like the food at each location and if you have time for them all than why not try them. The only one I would pass on ever doing again was the ‘Ohana breakfast. Food was ok (mostly what you would get at any place for breakfast) not cooked very well and service was the worst I have ever had at WDW. I prefer breakfast at Kona Café myself.

Tikiman to the rescue! Thanks for your insight. It really means alot. I guess we will keep our dinner ADRs at Kona, 'Ohanas and SofA.

Just can't wait for the Poly experience! :banana:

I am hoping someone familiar with the Tokelau longhouse can answer these questions. Where are the stairs located? I have already heard that the elevator is in the middle of the building but are the stairs there also or on each end or ??? Has anyone ever stayed in the rooms adjacent to the stairs to know if you can hear people going up and down the stairs making it noisy in the room or are the rooms well soundproofed?

Also, does it take substancially longer to walk to the GCH from the beach end of Tokelau vs the end near Roratonga? We will be staying for 8 nts next April and will definitly use captain cooks ALOT. I would also like to know if there are any "bad" views from Tokelau that we should avoid. We have requested 3rd floor/pool side. Any insight? TIA :goodvibes

Tikiman said:
Concierge guests should not ever have to walk to or take their bags to the building themselves. If this happens please ask to speak to a manager right away.

Wish we knew that a few years ago. We arrived and handed the car off to the valet. They knew we were concierge but they gave us a map, circled the Hawaii building and then sent us off to find it. Given that we had never been there before, it was a bit confusing. Of course once we got to the building, the concierge staff just sat inside and looked at us, expecting us to use a room key to open the secure doors. After a bit of pantomiming, they finally let us in.

We were given a lagoon view room (we had booked a garden view) and there was a cake and balloons in there. At first I thought DH had surprised us, but then saw someone elses name on the card. They had either given us the wrong room or sent the cake to the wrong room, I never did figure it out. Either way, they let us keep the cake and the room.

The whole trip seemed very disorganized. But having said that, we'll go back to the Poly in a heartbeat.

Liz

Hi everyone. What a wonderful (magical) place this is! I'm sorry it took me so long to find you! I read through almost everything here and found lots of answers to questions I didn't know I had! LOL Tikiman's site and all the photos have been extremely helpful.

We are going to be first timers at the Polynesian for 8 wonderful days in September. This is a major luxury for us, so we wanted to get the best we could and booked a MK view room. We will have our 4 yr old DD with us and it is the week of our 10th anniversary. My question is, should we have booked a GVC room instead? Are the prices similar? DH really likes the idea of MK view. If we decide to stick with this type, can anyone suggest which rooms/longhouses are the best?

When booking, I did mention that we will be having an anniversary, but since I didn't find this website until TODAY, I had no idea there were so many options! Any suggestions for making our anniversary a little extra special? Thanks in advance!

dwazdip said:
Hi everyone. What a wonderful (magical) place this is! I'm sorry it took me so long to find you! I read through almost everything here and found lots of answers to questions I didn't know I had! LOL Tikiman's site and all the photos have been extremely helpful.

We are going to be first timers at the Polynesian for 8 wonderful days in September. This is a major luxury for us, so we wanted to get the best we could and booked a MK view room. We will have our 4 yr old DD with us and it is the week of our 10th anniversary. My question is, should we have booked a GVC room instead? Are the prices similar? DH really likes the idea of MK view. If we decide to stick with this type, can anyone suggest which rooms/longhouses are the best?

When booking, I did mention that we will be having an anniversary, but since I didn't find this website until TODAY, I had no idea there were so many options! Any suggestions for making our anniversary a little extra special? Thanks in advance!

For the same price I think you can do Garden View Concierge. I would do this over the MK view anyday. We loved the concierge service. You can always walk down to the beach to see the fireworks. Just my 2 cents. Your DD will LOVE the lounge, my youngest DD was 3 when we did it and she just loved all of the snacks and drinks. In fact, we are doing a garden view room in Nov. and I am regretting every day that I didn't book concierge with my AAA discount while I could, now it would cost me $1500 more to upgrade. ouch :blush:

I want to make my own "magic". I want to do something nice for my BF when we stay here before our cruise (gave me the cruise as a gift). I read somewhere that you can have things delivered to the room. I don't want to do a basket or something from Disney Florist. I saw someone got chocolate covered strawberries and I thought there were other things as well. Anyone ever do this? I know I need to contact the resort..but who/what do I ask for?

Thanks!

dwazdip said:
My question is, should we have booked a GVC room instead? Are the prices similar? DH really likes the idea of MK view. If we decide to stick with this type, can anyone suggest which rooms/longhouses are the best? QUOTE]

:wave2: Hello Dwazdip and welcome to the Dis. I am a newbie too and have found these boards to be incredibly helpful! My first stay at the Poly is coming up Sept. 30 - Oct. 8, so be mindful that my advice is based on research and not on experience . . . yet! :cool1:

As far as the prices are concerned, according to www.Disneyworld.com, the price for a Magic Kingdom View Room during value season (7/5 - 10/4) is $440.00 per night and the price for a Garden View Concierge is $440.00 per night. So they are exactly the same price.

In choosing a longhouse, the same advice does not fit everyone the same. For example, Tikiman says on his web site (www.tikiman2001.homestead.com) that Tahiti is his favorite. Reportedly it has awesome views of the Magic Kingdom, the beach is less crowded at that end of the resort and there is no sidewalk that separates the longhouse from the beach so there is a little more privacy for first floor guests, it has the larger rooms, the double sinks and it is the closest to the TTC. However, it is the fartherest away from the GCH.

Many people rave about Samoa, volcano pool side, which is very close to the GCH.

You have to decide what features you think you would appreciate most and go with that . . .

After all of the great comments about concierge, we upgraded to GVC and are looking forward to using the lounge for their continental breakfast and other tasty treats each day. All concierge rooms, except suites, are located in the Hawaii longhouse. Check out the Concierge page on Tikiman's site for a listing of the benefits.

It is all a matter of taste and preference. So what is best for my family, may not be the same for you . . .

mkygrl said:
I want to make my own "magic". I want to do something nice for my BF when we stay here before our cruise (gave me the cruise as a gift). I read somewhere that you can have things delivered to the room. I don't want to do a basket or something from Disney Florist. I saw someone got chocolate covered strawberries and I thought there were other things as well. Anyone ever do this? I know I need to contact the resort..but who/what do I ask for?

Thanks!

Again, this info is by research and not personal experience, but it seems like a lot of folks like www.peggyssweetsandmore.com. You can apparently pick out things you want and she will shop for them and put them in a nice box with a ribbon and have them delivered to your resort. They will be there when you arrive. However, you may have to make arrangements for the resort to put them in your room . . . since sometimes the rooms are not assigned until you arrive.

firkat said:
I posted this on the Dining board, but would like to get an opinion from you Poly pros. I have ADRs for dinner at 'Ohana, Kona and SofA. Will that be too much of a good thing? Are the food styles too similar to take in all three?

If you answer yes, then which one do I cut? (I also have breakfast ADRs at Kona and 'Ohana.)

Thanks for asking the question. We are planning on all three when we stay at the Poly, and I wondered if this was overkill. We also need to add the 'Ohana breakfast as we are taking a diehard Lilo and Stich fan.

firkat said:
Again, this info is by research and not personal experience, but it seems like a lot of folks like www.peggyssweetsandmore.com. You can apparently pick out things you want and she will shop for them and put them in a nice box with a ribbon and have them delivered to your resort. They will be there when you arrive. However, you may have to make arrangements for the resort to put them in your room . . . since sometimes the rooms are not assigned until you arrive.

Thank you for this. Not quite what I am looking for. Somewhere on the boards (should have wrote it down) said they contacted the Poly and they got a list of special treats to be sent to room...I'm not sure but room service? Wanted to make sure before I call. Anyone? :confused3

mkygrl said:
Thank you for this. Not quite what I am looking for. Somewhere on the boards (should have wrote it down) said they contacted the Poly and they got a list of special treats to be sent to room...I'm not sure but room service? Wanted to make sure before I call. Anyone? :confused3
I remember last year seeing on the room service menu posted on allearsnet.com chocolate covered strawberries. I just checked and it isn't listed this year, but at the bottom it says We can help you host and celebrate all of your special occassions. Please allow 24-48 hours notice.. I would just call and see what they have to offer. I'd love to know what you find out.

dwazdip said:

How exciting for you! :yay:
We just returned last week from our first trip to WDW and the poly. It was great. Like you I wanted the MK view. Based on Tikiman's opinion (and I do respect his opinons!) I switched to GVC. The cost is basically the same - I think it worked out to about 40 dollars more for the entire stay. It was so convenient having the options available with concierge service. We spent every evening in the parks so we did not actually see the fire works from the hotel until our last night! Unless you are planning to spend a great deal of time in your room staring across the lagoon I highly reccomend GVC. As stated recently you can alwways view the fire works from the lagoon or concierge lounge.

Have a great time!!

Traveling Aug 19-26
I am currently booked at CR concierge (MK view requested but not guaranteed)
Traveling with DW, DS(10), DD(7)
I have not been to any of the monorail resorts and being close to MK and Epcot for this trip is important to me.
I have always wanted to try the Poly and the CR tower
I tried booking Poly concierge but it is not available

The only thing available at Poly is GV.

Should I book the Poly GV or stay with CR concierge? and why?
Please take money out of the equation.

Since you are asking for opinions, I have never stayed CR concierge but have stayed in the Wings and and have stayed Poly GV many times - I would go with the Poly - because -
1) Walking access to TTC - which means you have immediate access to the Epcot monorail, as well as access from that point to the Ferry to MK or the express monorail to MK
2) 4 easy ways to get to MK - Monorail at TTC, Monorail at GCH, Ferry at TTC, small boat from Poly dock
3) Volcano Pool (or the quiet pool if you prefer)
4) Watching Wishes from the beach (or the pool)
5) Beautiful Grounds
6) Recently refurbished rooms
7) Ohana

I love the poly, so the choice would be easy for me. I even prefer to stay in a building closer to the TTC - like Tokelau - makes transportation so much easier.
No complaints about the CR - just preferences for the beauty and convenience of the Poly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter